Diwali in my country! hapyy Diwali!

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 11 years ago

A little light reading into Diwali.

Diwali or Deepavali, popularly known as the "festival of lights," is a five day festival which starts on Dhanteras, celebrated on thirteenth lunar day of Krishna

paksha (dark fortnight) of the Hindu calendar month Ashwin and ends on Bhaubeej. Diwali falls between mid-October and mid-November. Diwali is an official holiday in India, Nepal, Sri Lanka, Myanmar, Mauritius, Guyana, Trinidad & Tobago, Suriname, Malaysia, Singapore and Fiji.

For Hindus, Diwali is one of the most important festivals of the year and is celebrated in families by performing traditional activities together in their homes.

The name "Diwali" or "Divali" is a contraction of "Deepavali", which translates into "row of lamps". Diwali involves the lighting of small clay lamps filled with oil to signify the triumph of good over evil. These lamps are kept on during the night and one's house is cleaned, both done in order to make the goddess Lakshmi feel welcome. Firecrackers are burst because it is believed that it drives away evil spirits. During Diwali, all the celebrants wear new clothes and share sweets and snacks with family members and friends.

Well here is how we the Guyanese celebrate this festival. Prior to Diwali, about three days, different villages/regions will have motorcades (parades depicting the festival and gods and goddesses) check photographs below. Then on the eve of Diwali, there is a grand Diwali Motorcade where many people come out to witness as it's the last, biggest and best motorcade of all. The varying villages come out to celebrate as one people and that too to compete for prizes. When they reach the ground/park, there is a grand concert of dances, drama, poetry and even spiritual influence and addresses from our President and other high rank officials. The concert will conclude by announcing who is the winner of the Diwali pageant and Miss Diwali is crown. On the day of Diwali, fire crackers go wild and family and friends chat and have a nice time together enjoying the sweet meats prepare! So that was a small synopsis of my country's celebration! Happy Diwali Friends!

These are images of the motorcades! Shubh Diwali to all!
Very nice Kevin πŸ‘
Well I live in Guyana n despite being a Christian, I look forward to "Diwali" πŸ˜†.
Thanks so much for those details, I know abt Diwali itself but I never knew abt all those facts 😲 n all the other days that are significant to Diwali.
So thanks a lot for sharing this.

SO I would like to wish u and all my other MKKPB forum members a very Happy Diwali

aww thanks, actually i didn't know either, i got some info from fb.. thanks and i wish you family a happy diwali, i will send some sweet meats for you πŸ˜‰πŸ˜† by the way, going motorcade tonight?
Yeah i'm looking forward to eating sweet meats this Diwali πŸ˜†
Absolutely me n my family r going.
Edited by Rozey17 - 11 years ago
Lol i hope i see you tonight to give you πŸ˜†

btw i will be wearing a plain light  purple t-shirtπŸ˜† hope u recognise me in that huge crowd!!!

Ok I will definitely look out for u πŸ˜†
well i'll be wearing jeans n a red top.
hope we meet πŸ˜‰
lol πŸ˜† unfortunately i had to eat out all the sweet meats because i didn't see you, feel free to come by me todayπŸ˜‰
Yeah kevin, unfortunately I didn't see u either, but ok i'll come at ur house, be prepared to feed me loads of sweet meats πŸ˜†
 i will welcome you with all that i have so for now take this πŸ€—πŸ˜†  i will be feeding you from my own hands πŸ˜‰πŸ€£ so i will be waiting
Edited by Arshi-licious01 - 11 years ago