Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

India-Forums

Indian Television - Introduce 'Seasons' (Page 2)

..Saraa.. IF-Rockerz
..Saraa..
..Saraa..

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 8:02am | IP Logged
It happened with Sanaya's other show too!

Don't you remember MJHT!

Hope they introduce a new season! Big smile

manutdno1 Senior Member
manutdno1
manutdno1

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 8:12am | IP Logged
SEE WAT I MEAN THERE IS A SOLUTION FOR EVERYONES PROBLEMS
ITHINK THOSE INVOLVED ARNT LOOKING HARD ENUF
THIS IDEA WUD SORT OUT EVERTHING
BARUN GETS A BREAK
SP AND FANS KEEP THE SHOW WITH SARUN
AS FOR IT WORKING IT WILL DEFINATELY WORK AND I SAY THIS CZ THR ARSHI STORY HAS REACHED ANOTHER MILESSTONE. PPL R VERY EAGER TO DISCOVER WHERE THEIR JOURNEY WILL TAKE THEM NOW AND HOW AS COMPLETE OPPOSITES THEY WORK THINGS OUT

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

kadi9

AquaSandhya IF-Sizzlerz
AquaSandhya
AquaSandhya

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 8:13am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -SmileAway-

Originally posted by AquaSandhya

I would love it if they would.

But we, the audience, are greedy. We can't even stand the thought of not watching the show for 2 days (Sat&Sun), can you really expect the audience to handle a few month breaks?

Why not? If you are a true IPKKND fan you'll do so. Remember ... sabar ka phal meeta hota hotha hai :)

I am not talking about myself - by we I meant the general audience which consists of people who cannot really stand the idea of a show not being there for 3+ months as they get so used to seeing it and making it a part of their daily life.

This is also something that has been ongoing for a very long time - hence a change as drastic as bringing in seasonal shows would need to be well thought-out with the audience watching the show in mind.

Since a lot of the shows cater for an older group of audience - that audience has an attention span of a two year old. If they get bored of a show, they will move on to another, and come back to another show if the other one gets interesting. Which is why half the unreasonable twists are brought forth in the shows because they want to keep the competition alive.

Which brings me to my other point that there is a lot of competition on the Indian TV. We have a lot of channels - all of whom have shows which follow one genre - drama. Hence all the shows work towards maintaining their audience.

If the audience is such that they leave the show if it gets boring and forget about it - bringing in seasonal episodes can be risky as this is the same audience that may not tune into the next season after finding something else exciting.

Not only that, but the revenue they may make from daily episodes, along with the events from Star Plus are probably way more than what they may make from seasonal episodes.

However, personally speaking - I would love for the seasonal episodes to become a trend as it means that we will get better quality episodes and stories.

So I think the audience needs to be more adapting about this matter before such a drastic change is introduced.

IPKKND audience is different from others. This show has more international audience when compared to any other show in India. This audience is used to 'Seasons. They watch Indian television shows along with the international ones. I know that I'm as fond of this show as I have been of 'FRIENDS', 'West Wing', NCIS, PRISON BREAK ETC.

While I'm not fully aware of the number of love stories running on Indian television, I do know there are a few successful ones. However, none of them compare to IPKKND. This is because of the lead pair of this show. 

I think the fan love for this show should not be under estimated. This may actually pave the way forward for Indian Tel;evision. Imagine pioneering something :)

I agree to that, however the audience of IPKKND is not just limited to the international, or young audience. There is a wide range of people who watch this show - ranging from kids to really old people. So Star Plus has to look into that audience as well before taking such a step.

I think they have introduced the seasonal thing with Teri Meri Love Stories, and they will probably see how the turnout is the year after.

However with the shows on Star Plus, it's a big gamble to make with existing shows. You can probably do it with new shows as you are building an audience for those. With existing shows - and with the competition piling - it's a lot harder to make such a big decision, as you don't want to interfere with the audience you have already built up.

Therefore for it happening with IPKKND - the chances are close to none.

However in the future i would love it if the channel, along with other channels, explored the idea about introducing seasons.

If it is any consolation, I'm 41 years old. I never once said, young and international audience only. As for Teri Meri Love Stories, we cannot call it seasonal. They are mini love stories. Very superficial in nature. I personally watched half an episode and never went back to it.

Just because Teri Meri Love Stories is about love, it can no way be compared to IPKKND. I personally think if the seasonal thing works in the world, it'll work in India. Particularly for IPKKND coz this show has an addictive quality because of the lead pair. I can tell you my personal experience. I stumbled across this show by accident while researching for my creative writing work shop. Watched one episode and was so hooked that I watched 9 months episodes in 10 days time. 

I wasn't putting you in any specific category, I merely meant to point out that the audience does consist of those that do not necessarily watch Western shows and therefore do not know much about the seasonal episodes - unless they watch reality TV shows.

I took the example of Teri Meri Love Stories because it was the only seasonal Star show. However another one would be Rishta.com
It completed its season 1, and due to low revenues, and competition with other shows that were generating consistent TRPs, it was not renewed for another season. As long as other shows continue to show daily episodes, the breakthrough of seasonal shows is going to be hard.

Maybe if they ended this show, and came back with a fresh storyline, new characters, same leads etc - they could venture into this seasonal episodes. However, I still believe that for this change to occur, it needs to be done across many channels, many shows for it to be effective. Otherwise the TRPs are going to kick you off the charts.

If you go back to my original post, you'll see that I said, if anybody has the clout to pioneer seasonal shows in India, it is Star Plus. Somebody needs to begin. Star Plus has the capability to set the trend and IPKKND has the power (sizzling chemistry of the leads) to draw the audience. Given those factors, there is no way the TRP's will show otherwise. 
As for audience without international exposure, I agree that not all IPKKND fans watch international shows, like my mother and grand mother. But as someone who understands where they stand with this show, I feel they'll look forward to the show after a break and not move on. Of course this is my personal opinion and opinion of few friends who seem to feel the same way.

I agree that Star Plus has the capacity to do something as big as this - but even if they bring a change, it cannot just happen with one show, they'll need to do it with their other shows as well, otherwise it'll put other shows at an unfair advantage or disadvantage on their channel.

And now the whole other factor of the PH agreeing to such changes comes about.
If eventually this seasonal change is not accepted by the Indian audience, eventually Star Plus, and the PH associated with it, are going to suffer.

And you seem to be misunderstanding me. Just because I am saying that this may be harder than it seems - does not mean I am against it.

There is something called 'One step at a time'. If Star Plus conducts market research, they will understand their most successful show IPKKND is a worthwhile show to conduct the seasonal experiment. Why talk about doing the same for all shows. One at a time. 

Which production house doesn't want to be a part of a successful show? It is business at the end of the day. Why are you concluding this will fail. This experiment is being undertaken to pioneer a change. Of course there is risk involved but the chances oif it succeeding are far greater than the failure.

I'm not offended by your comments at all. It is good to discuss with someone who feels as strongly. 

kadi9

ipkkndfanforeva IF-Dazzler
ipkkndfanforeva
ipkkndfanforeva

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 8:27am | IP Logged
The thing is i dont think it will work!

Here till now shows have always been aired 5 days a week! And if suddenly u get once a week, people would go berserk!

And on top of it IPK is an exception as it attracts younger generation bt the others are watched by older ones so they do need their daily dose of saas-bahu drama
AquaSandhya IF-Sizzlerz
AquaSandhya
AquaSandhya

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 8:35am | IP Logged

But we, the audience, are greedy. We can't even stand the thought of not watching the show for 2 days (Sat&Sun), can you really expect the audience to handle a few month breaks?

Why not? If you are a true IPKKND fan you'll do so. Remember ... sabar ka phal meeta hota hotha hai :)

I am not talking about myself - by we I meant the general audience which consists of people who cannot really stand the idea of a show not being there for 3+ months as they get so used to seeing it and making it a part of their daily life.

This is also something that has been ongoing for a very long time - hence a change as drastic as bringing in seasonal shows would need to be well thought-out with the audience watching the show in mind.

Since a lot of the shows cater for an older group of audience - that audience has an attention span of a two year old. If they get bored of a show, they will move on to another, and come back to another show if the other one gets interesting. Which is why half the unreasonable twists are brought forth in the shows because they want to keep the competition alive.

Which brings me to my other point that there is a lot of competition on the Indian TV. We have a lot of channels - all of whom have shows which follow one genre - drama. Hence all the shows work towards maintaining their audience.

If the audience is such that they leave the show if it gets boring and forget about it - bringing in seasonal episodes can be risky as this is the same audience that may not tune into the next season after finding something else exciting.

Not only that, but the revenue they may make from daily episodes, along with the events from Star Plus are probably way more than what they may make from seasonal episodes.

However, personally speaking - I would love for the seasonal episodes to become a trend as it means that we will get better quality episodes and stories.

So I think the audience needs to be more adapting about this matter before such a drastic change is introduced.

IPKKND audience is different from others. This show has more international audience when compared to any other show in India. This audience is used to 'Seasons. They watch Indian television shows along with the international ones. I know that I'm as fond of this show as I have been of 'FRIENDS', 'West Wing', NCIS, PRISON BREAK ETC.

While I'm not fully aware of the number of love stories running on Indian television, I do know there are a few successful ones. However, none of them compare to IPKKND. This is because of the lead pair of this show. 

I think the fan love for this show should not be under estimated. This may actually pave the way forward for Indian Tel;evision. Imagine pioneering something :)

I agree to that, however the audience of IPKKND is not just limited to the international, or young audience. There is a wide range of people who watch this show - ranging from kids to really old people. So Star Plus has to look into that audience as well before taking such a step.

I think they have introduced the seasonal thing with Teri Meri Love Stories, and they will probably see how the turnout is the year after.

However with the shows on Star Plus, it's a big gamble to make with existing shows. You can probably do it with new shows as you are building an audience for those. With existing shows - and with the competition piling - it's a lot harder to make such a big decision, as you don't want to interfere with the audience you have already built up.

However in the future i would love it if the channel, along with other channels, explored the idea about introducing seasons.

If it is any consolation, I'm 41 years old. I never once said, young and international audience only. As for Teri Meri Love Stories, we cannot call it seasonal. They are mini love stories. Very superficial in nature. I personally watched half an episode and never went back to it.

Just because Teri Meri Love Stories is about love, it can no way be compared to IPKKND. I personally think if the seasonal thing works in the world, it'll work in India. Particularly for IPKKND coz this show has an addictive quality because of the lead pair. I can tell you my personal experience. I stumbled across this show by accident while researching for my creative writing work shop. Watched one episode and was so hooked that I watched 9 months episodes in 10 days time. 

I wasn't putting you in any specific category, I merely meant to point out that the audience does consist of those that do not necessarily watch Western shows and therefore do not know much about the seasonal episodes - unless they watch reality TV shows.

I took the example of Teri Meri Love Stories because it was the only seasonal Star show. However another one would be Rishta.com
It completed its season 1, and due to low revenues, and competition with other shows that were generating consistent TRPs, it was not renewed for another season. As long as other shows continue to show daily episodes, the breakthrough of seasonal shows is going to be hard.

Maybe if they ended this show, and came back with a fresh storyline, new characters, same leads etc - they could venture into this seasonal episodes. However, I still believe that for this change to occur, it needs to be done across many channels, many shows for it to be effective. Otherwise the TRPs are going to kick you off the charts.

If you go back to my original post, you'll see that I said, if anybody has the clout to pioneer seasonal shows in India, it is Star Plus. Somebody needs to begin. Star Plus has the capability to set the trend and IPKKND has the power (sizzling chemistry of the leads) to draw the audience. Given those factors, there is no way the TRP's will show otherwise. 
As for audience without international exposure, I agree that not all IPKKND fans watch international shows, like my mother and grand mother. But as someone who understands where they stand with this show, I feel they'll look forward to the show after a break and not move on. Of course this is my personal opinion and opinion of few friends who seem to feel the same way.

I agree that Star Plus has the capacity to do something as big as this - but even if they bring a change, it cannot just happen with one show, they'll need to do it with their other shows as well, otherwise it'll put other shows at an unfair advantage or disadvantage on their channel.

If eventually this seasonal change is not accepted by the Indian audience, eventually Star Plus, and the PH associated with it, are going to suffer.

And you seem to be misunderstanding me. Just because I am saying that this may be harder than it seems - does not mean I am against it.

There is something called 'One step at a time'. If Star Plus conducts market research, they will understand their most successful show IPKKND is a worthwhile show to conduct the seasonal experiment. Why talk about doing the same for all shows. One at a time. 

Which production house doesn't want to be a part of a successful show? It is business at the end of the day. Why are you concluding this will fail. This experiment is being undertaken to pioneer a change. Of course there is risk involved but the chances oif it succeeding are far greater than the failure.

I'm not offended by your comments at all. It is good to discuss with someone who feels as strongly. 

So they will need to do market research, get people's viewpoints on these things - which in itself can take a whole lot of time. So lets say after a good few months they finally come to the conclusion that going seasonal is a good thing.

Now say IPKKND by some stroke of luck survives the few months of research - and then goes seasonal.

People watch it for a few months, and then it goes off-air. The same viewers turn to watching other shows that are daily, the same show they don't have to wait for a few months to know what's happening, the same shows that they can rely on being there for 5 days a week.

The season comes back, and some audience gets back to it, while others don't as they are hooked onto another story which is providing them with daily episodes of what's happening.

Let's say that the complete audience does return to IPKKND and it turns out that they did not lose that much percentage of audience in this change.

What about the time-slot? Right now it's famous because of a well-placed tine-slot. As it goes earlier or later, it's gonna get harder to get the same TRPs.
Are you to say that every time IPKKND would return, another show would be bumped off from 8:00 slot and put on another time slot?
Isn't that already interfering with the viewership of the present shows that are providing with daily episodes?

Every production house wants to provide a successful show - however if the seasonal thing does not turn out and this turns out to be a disaster, it means their show is a disaster, which means that their show gets shut down before they can show the story. So the PH will suffer.

The chances of it succeeding are not greater than failure, because no research has been conducted on this matter. And the shows that have tried to go seasonal have not returned with a season 2 (YRF, anyone?)

It's not that I feel strongly about it. If I felt strongly about it, I would be either a yes or a no for this matter.
I am saying that I am a yes of India does decide to go for the seasonal approach. However, I am also looking at the other side of the coin, and seeing how hard it is to venture into this decision - hence it might be a while before Indian audience, and the business of media decides to take the leap into seasonal shows. So therefore this happening with IPKKND is pretty slim on the chances.

Not only that but the only seasons that seem to happen in the Indian TV show business is when the story dies out and they need to mark something as a season 2 to mark a fresh beginning of an already dying story - just to keep the TRPs up.

Eventually TRP is the game changer. If the TRPs decide that during those few months you are on air, you don't garner the TRPs that other shows are getting - you are off. And that's a big gamble to make.

Firstly, I need to ask you a question. Are you from Star Plus who is trying to dissuade a fan or fans?
If you are not, I'm sorry for the question. 

Secondly, If Star Plus wants to make this work, they can. When the CEO decided to move away from 'K' serials so that he could attract different audience, he did exactly that. 

I gave my ideas, you can counter with as many. There is no point in going back and forth, if you have decided it is not going to work. 

However, as a huge fans of IPKKND, my friends and I hope the show makes a come back with season 2, with Barun and Sanaya as leads.

kadi9

AquaSandhya IF-Sizzlerz
AquaSandhya
AquaSandhya

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 8:36am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ipkkndfanforeva

The thing is i dont think it will work!

Here till now shows have always been aired 5 days a week! And if suddenly u get once a week, people would go berserk!

And on top of it IPK is an exception as it attracts younger generation bt the others are watched by older ones so they do need their daily dose of saas-bahu drama

I was not talking about making it a weekly show. I was talking about ending it now and making a come back with Season 2 in 2-3 months time, with a fresh look and feel.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

kadi9ipkkndfanforeva

AquaSandhya IF-Sizzlerz
AquaSandhya
AquaSandhya

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 8:45am | IP Logged

So they will need to do market research, get people's viewpoints on these things - which in itself can take a whole lot of time. So lets say after a good few months they finally come to the conclusion that going seasonal is a good thing.

Now say IPKKND by some stroke of luck survives the few months of research - and then goes seasonal.

People watch it for a few months, and then it goes off-air. The same viewers turn to watching other shows that are daily, the same show they don't have to wait for a few months to know what's happening, the same shows that they can rely on being there for 5 days a week.

The season comes back, and some audience gets back to it, while others don't as they are hooked onto another story which is providing them with daily episodes of what's happening.

Let's say that the complete audience does return to IPKKND and it turns out that they did not lose that much percentage of audience in this change.

What about the time-slot? Right now it's famous because of a well-placed tine-slot. As it goes earlier or later, it's gonna get harder to get the same TRPs.
Are you to say that every time IPKKND would return, another show would be bumped off from 8:00 slot and put on another time slot?
Isn't that already interfering with the viewership of the present shows that are providing with daily episodes?

Every production house wants to provide a successful show - however if the seasonal thing does not turn out and this turns out to be a disaster, it means their show is a disaster, which means that their show gets shut down before they can show the story. So the PH will suffer.

The chances of it succeeding are not greater than failure, because no research has been conducted on this matter. And the shows that have tried to go seasonal have not returned with a season 2 (YRF, anyone?)

It's not that I feel strongly about it. If I felt strongly about it, I would be either a yes or a no for this matter.
I am saying that I am a yes of India does decide to go for the seasonal approach. However, I am also looking at the other side of the coin, and seeing how hard it is to venture into this decision - hence it might be a while before Indian audience, and the business of media decides to take the leap into seasonal shows. So therefore this happening with IPKKND is pretty slim on the chances.

Not only that but the only seasons that seem to happen in the Indian TV show business is when the story dies out and they need to mark something as a season 2 to mark a fresh beginning of an already dying story - just to keep the TRPs up.

Eventually TRP is the game changer. If the TRPs decide that during those few months you are on air, you don't garner the TRPs that other shows are getting - you are off. And that's a big gamble to make.

Firstly, I need to ask you a question. Are you from Star Plus who is trying to dissuade a fan or fans?

Secondly, If Star Plus wants to make this work, they can. When the CEO decided to move away from 'K' serials so that he could attract different audience, he did exactly that. 

I gave my ideas, you can counter with as many. There is no point in going back and forth, if you have decided it is not going to work. 

However, as a huge fans of IPKKND, my friends and I hope the show makes a come back with season 2, with Barun and Sanaya as leads.

Why did you come to the conclusion that I was from Star Plus?

Yes, and they had to get rid of pretty much all the "K" in their serials - save for one or two which are still heavily criticized. They had to refresh their motto with "rishta wahi soch nayi" pretty much changing the outlook of all their shows.

See, you are still missing my point. Just because I am saying that it's hard does not mean it's not going to work. It can work but it requires a whole heap of effort not only from all the channels but also from a more accepting audience - and for the whole system to be changed, regarding the TRPs.

As for season 2, that is pretty much what I have been chanting all this while - but the chances of that happening are as much as the chances of Geet 2 happening were.

Pray tell! what point am I missing? Of course it requires effort. Success is never attained easily, whether in personal life or in a profession. 

Why are we talking about all the channels? The discussion is about whether or not Star Plus could pioneer this change. 

Let star plus do it and the audience will surprise you. 

Do you know that IPKKND in its telugu dubbed version has been moved to the prime time slot? It is very much local telugu speaking audience. If they are appreciating it soo much, you are saying IPKKND in hindi will not be welcomed with open arms in season 2. 

Sorry, I have no comments on Geet coz I never watched it.
AquaSandhya IF-Sizzlerz
AquaSandhya
AquaSandhya

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 9:02am | IP Logged

Why did you come to the conclusion that I was from Star Plus?

Yes, and they had to get rid of pretty much all the "K" in their serials - save for one or two which are still heavily criticized. They had to refresh their motto with "rishta wahi soch nayi" pretty much changing the outlook of all their shows.

See, you are still missing my point. Just because I am saying that it's hard does not mean it's not going to work. It can work but it requires a whole heap of effort not only from all the channels but also from a more accepting audience - and for the whole system to be changed, regarding the TRPs.

As for season 2, that is pretty much what I have been chanting all this while - but the chances of that happening are as much as the chances of Geet 2 happening were.

Pray tell! what point am I missing? Of course it requires effort. Success is never attained easily, whether in personal life or in a profession. 

Why are we talking about all the channels? The discussion is about whether or not Star Plus could pioneer this change. 

Let star plus do it and the audience will surprise you. 

Do you know that IPKKND in its telugu dubbed version has been moved to the prime time slot? It is very much local telugu speaking audience. If they are appreciating it soo much, you are saying IPKKND in hindi will not be welcomed with open arms in season 2. 

Sorry, I have no comments on Geet coz I never watched it.

And you still haven't told me why I was pegged as a Star Plus official trying to demotivate fans.

The seasonal change is a lot bigger than you might think it is. Yes success is not attained easily - but this is not guaranteed success. It's a gamble of sorts, so the idea of the channel jumping into the seasonal business requires a lot more thought than the fact that they have a show which is popular.
If that was the case then they would do that with DABH which has consistently provided them with high TRPs.

I don't watch Telugu stuff so do not know about that. But I am talking about IPKKND here - and you cannot deny that the present storyline is glaringly different from last year's - and not in a good way.

Well it still doesn't change the fact that 4Lions has not provided with any indication of taking a break and wanting to do a season 2.

I asked the question coz your argument is all about why it wouldn't work for the channel whether it is trp's, prime slot to come back to etc etc. Didnt mean to offend you. Sorry!

You have seen the outcry from fans against PH and SP. Have any TV show seen anything like this? While the seasonal change is a humungous change, the reactions from fans has been nothing less. 

There is no such thing as a guarenteed success. NEVER BEEN. NEVER WILL BE. If the channel is not willing to take the risk, how will they ever know. They maybe lsing out on a hugely successful future too.

You don't need to watch telugu stuff. I was talking about IPKKND dubbed into Telugu language. So it is about IPKKND.

Now you are supporting my point. Of course the story line is glaring;ly different, which is the reason why we need a refreshed story line with a 6months to one year jump. Thus the idea for a rejuvinated IPKKND season 2.

Go to top