Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

AquaSandhya thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 8
Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by: -SmileAway-

So you are pretty much saying that they should go seasonal with IPKKND, and it doesn't matter with other shows.
I am saying that the channel needs to take into consideration its other shows and its revenue as well as other factors before taking such a drastic step, especially with a show that has been a disappointment throughout this year. I am also pointing out that it is a lot harder than it seems, and chances are that it may not happen as the audience needs to be open about this idea, along with the production house, as well as the channel.
I'll say it again, that I am not saying that I don't want this change - just that it's a lot harder than it seems.

I agree with you that it is not going to be easy. Whether it is Star Plus or any other channel, they cannot go seasonal with all their shows simultaneously. There is something called product testing. Let IPKKND be that testing product for Star Plus shows to go seasonal. IPKKND is one of those shows with great potential to succeed. As for the story line and the dragging of unnecessary moments on the show over the last few months- isn't it time Star Plus pulled up the production house for doing poor job on a fantastic show?

Normally, any serial needs to build up characters from episode 1 and it takes a minimum of 20-25 episodes (4 weeks of TRPs) for the characters to be established enough for the audience to connect with them. In the case of a well-loved story that comes back for the next season, it has an instant connect with the audience, thus garnering decent TRPs to begin with unlike a new show.

Seasonal shows will have the edge with established characters that audience love in addition to refreshed ideas, rejuvenated actors and creative teams. Seasonal shows also know the story lines that are not liked by their respective audience. This gives them an edge. No channel will allow the creative teams to get away with crap story lines, costumes etc after making an effort to bring back the show for the next season. Going seasonal gives less scope for story taking unreasonable twists just to keep the audience interested. The break between seasons gives all involved the chance to review and research their ideas and come up with ones that are plausible.

Talking about audience, Indian TV has evolved so much in the recent years by adapting international standards in a manner that suits Indian scenario and mindset. If, the television shows have evolved, so have the audience. So, going seasonal is the next big step would be the evolution of Indian shows and audience alike. If audience audience has accepted the changes on Star Plus shows from K serials to the current day shows, doesn't it vouch for their intelligence to adapt to situations?

To see if seasons work on Indian television through Teri Meri Love Stories would be bad idea to begin with. It was a show that failed in season 1. Why would the makers want to come back with season 2 of TMLS when it failed in season 1? Only successful shows are brought back for the next season. Maybe IPKKND and TMLS share the theme of love but that is where the comparison between the ends.  I didn't watch or follow Rishta.com, so I cannot comment on that.

A production house plays a big role, no doubt. But IPKKND is an established show. If the creative teams and the directors were willing to continue with the show, any production house would grab a business opportunity such as this. Of course, this is where the big IF's come in. If the production house wants to continue the show, if the creative teams are willing to continue with the show without the existing production house or if Star Plus wants to pioneer a change by going seasonal with IPKKND. Well, this is where Star Plus should say; Let's give it a try. It is a worthwhile show.' 

AquaSandhya thumbnail
Originally posted by: -SmileAway-

Honestly, I really don't know why this debate is being continued when I've already made it clear that I am for the seasonal change occurring, however just put forth my doubts in regards to it happening.

Anyway, to answer you.

IPKKND is now famous not for the storyline, it's famous for the franchise. For the love story that was promised, but never delivered. For the lead actors that created the magic, and made everyone fall in love and believe with the characters.

So if Star Plus was to even consider doing a seasonal show with IPKKND, it cannot do it with an already sinking storyline - with one of the main leads missing and several actors from the original cast on permanent leave.

Therefore if they were to go seasonal with IPKKND it would need to be with a fresh storyline, and a fresh set of characters, otherwise the audience will continuously compare it with the golden 2011 year of IPKKND, and never be satisfied. If new characters were presented, it would give the audience time to adapt to the changes and give the new system and the show a chance.

You are talking about all the advantages of going seasonal - and I can assure you I am aware of the advantages, which is why I am for it. However I still believe that the process of Star Plus venturing into such a big step is very iffy - and them doing it with IPKKND (an already deteriorating show) is even more doubtful.

And as for Indian mindset and television adapting and changing, I would just like to direct you to minimuffins IPK feminism thread which deals with how much the TV has changed in its mindset - which is not actually that much.
This is still a channel that shows a woman wearing Western clothes as being evil (for most shows), and this half reflect the society's mindset as they take in everything that is shown and accept it.

But my above point is going away from the real point you have been raising throughout - whether Indian TV should adopt the seasonal approach or not.

I have said it before, and I'll say it again.
Yes, such a change should be implemented for all the serials presently being broadcasted as it delivers more quality, allows the actors to show their true potential, etc.

However chances of this happening are slim due to the audience's reaction,the revenue generated, along with other factors discussed previously.

So they won't do it and I say they should do it. Let's wait and watch. So long. 
kadi9 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
I agree with TM, I think it's a great thought.  I'm international viewer (no connection to India what so ever) and very much used to watching shows with seasonal breaks. Would love to see IPK take a break and come back with season 2.  I hope that people in Star Plus are more open to new ideas and would consider something new from "why it would work" point of view rather than "why it wouln't".
ArnavKhushijodi thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 5
Its high time they introduced seasons in Indian telly as it would greatly increase the quality of entertainment and also allow the actors to go on breaks and come back refreshed and energized!! 
AquaSandhya thumbnail
I would never have watched the show with a twist in the tale where Arnav ceases to exist or somebody else replaces Barun as Arnav. 

The current scenario, where too many problems appear to be plaguing IPKKND, Star Plus decision to end the show is the most sensible one - for both fans and the channel. For fans, it would have been heart breaking to watch anyone in Barun's place or if Arnav's character comes to an untimely end.  For the channel rock bottom trp's don't help either. Indeed this is the best decision taken by Star Plus given the current difficult situation.

Here I would like to reiterate my belief that Star Plus should bring back IPKKND season 2. The channel is aware that there are millions of fans not only in India but across the world that would like to see Arnav and Khushi back on the television screens.Given time, the production house problems could be taken care of and the show will no doubt make a winning return.

It is time to set the trend and it is time Star Plus experimented the trend of seasons on television.