India-Forums

Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon
Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon

Indian Television - Introduce 'Seasons'

AquaSandhya IF-Sizzlerz
AquaSandhya
AquaSandhya

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 7:00am | IP Logged

Currently daily soaps are the key to Indian television survival. However, after the first year of the show, it becomes difficult to please the audience as daily soaps deal with day –to-day issues. Indeed, it is rather difficult to come up with exciting scenario week after week for the creative teams; long working hours, day after day can take a toll on the actors too.

In such a scenario what could the channels hope to do? Star Plus, as the leading Indian channel shouldn't hesitate to set some new trends in the television industry to change this situation.

In my opinion, it is important for Indian serials to take the 'Seasons' route. I definitely do not mean that they should take major time leaps like in Ekta Kapoor's serials, where young actors have to portray much older characters.

I am talking about coming back with a new season three months later with a story line that could work for the following nine months. I am talking about a small time leap of 6 months to a year in the life of a character, to show their progression in life. This gives the creative team great leverage to introduce new situations, which in turn becomes exciting for the audience.

By ending one season and coming back with a fresh look and fresh ideas, not only rejuvenates the show but also gives the actors the much-deserved break from 12-hour working days. After all they are human too. Whether they spend time with the family, promote/act in a movie or just get some much-deserved rest is up to them.  

Let us take the example of Iss Pyaar Ko Kya Naam Doon?

Arnav and Khushi have gone through major upheavals in life to be with each other. They are indeed madly in love with each other. At this stage, it is rather silly to introduce big problems into their lives, just to keep the daily soap going. On the creative front, it is difficult for the writers to come up with a new problem every few weeks, problems that are real and exciting to the viewers.

As a fan of IPKKND, I can vouch for all the fans that if the show ends now as season 1 with a promise of Season 2, the fans will wait so eagerly for the opening day of season 2, that it'll have a bumper TRP ratings.

I strongly believe Arnav and Khushi have the magnetic pull that is so strong that it is worth experimenting with the introduction of 'Seasons' on Indian television. Come on Star Plus! If any channel in India has the clout to do it, it is you.

As a parting note, I would like to stress that I would never watch Iss Pyaar Ko Naam Doon without Barun and Sanaya. Together they really do sizzle. I cannot imagine either of them without the other in this love story.

The following 52 member(s) liked the above post:

jasmine279tasfia09meg2swejugnuMaddyWaddyjulijasmeencutie05ArnavKiKhushixyzw231aruforarshiFairylights26desikudi2009Su_SomerholicAnuLovesBarunvaish912amelia_09Arshiluvu27lovebadhanriha5002manutdno1UltimateWishesacklesmanicherebedragonstoeditorblackdice1001kripa_khnomad.ness-Aliza-Sujata77kadi9DoJinIshrafan11segadfareeChasbyravalisharma06vish.narenblackdove..Saraa..sspoorthymints23bs_deepsgmskSaRun.Sidda8anjaani07shar19rukuswasthikaTish_AniBearNaNa.SobtiLicious.Ireena7

kripa_kh Goldie
kripa_kh
kripa_kh

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 7:08am | IP Logged
you should send this to star plus people... it's a very great idea... hope they consider this...

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

meg2swefaree

.SobtiLicious. IF-Sizzlerz
.SobtiLicious.
.SobtiLicious.

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 7:10am | IP Logged
yess now want IPKKNd season 2 under another production house with BARUn and sanaya...

meg2swesiva2901

AquaSandhya IF-Sizzlerz
AquaSandhya
AquaSandhya

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 7:16am | IP Logged
Originally posted by -SmileAway-

I would love it if they would.

But we, the audience, are greedy. We can't even stand the thought of not watching the show for 2 days (Sat&Sun), can you really expect the audience to handle a few month breaks?

Why not? If you are a true IPKKND fan you'll do so. Remember ... sabar ka phal meeta hota hotha hai :)

meg2sweARS24

AquaSandhya IF-Sizzlerz
AquaSandhya
AquaSandhya

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 7:31am | IP Logged

Originally posted by AquaSandhya

But we, the audience, are greedy. We can't even stand the thought of not watching the show for 2 days (Sat&Sun), can you really expect the audience to handle a few month breaks?

Why not? If you are a true IPKKND fan you'll do so. Remember ... sabar ka phal meeta hota hotha hai :)

I am not talking about myself - by we I meant the general audience which consists of people who cannot really stand the idea of a show not being there for 3+ months as they get so used to seeing it and making it a part of their daily life.

This is also something that has been ongoing for a very long time - hence a change as drastic as bringing in seasonal shows would need to be well thought-out with the audience watching the show in mind.

Since a lot of the shows cater for an older group of audience - that audience has an attention span of a two year old. If they get bored of a show, they will move on to another, and come back to another show if the other one gets interesting. Which is why half the unreasonable twists are brought forth in the shows because they want to keep the competition alive.

Which brings me to my other point that there is a lot of competition on the Indian TV. We have a lot of channels - all of whom have shows which follow one genre - drama. Hence all the shows work towards maintaining their audience.

If the audience is such that they leave the show if it gets boring and forget about it - bringing in seasonal episodes can be risky as this is the same audience that may not tune into the next season after finding something else exciting.

Not only that, but the revenue they may make from daily episodes, along with the events from Star Plus are probably way more than what they may make from seasonal episodes.

However, personally speaking - I would love for the seasonal episodes to become a trend as it means that we will get better quality episodes and stories.

So I think the audience needs to be more adapting about this matter before such a drastic change is introduced.

IPKKND audience is different from others. This show has more international audience when compared to any other show in India. This audience is used to 'Seasons. They watch Indian television shows along with the international ones. I know that I'm as fond of this show as I have been of 'FRIENDS', 'West Wing', NCIS, PRISON BREAK ETC.

While I'm not fully aware of the number of love stories running on Indian television, I do know there are a few successful ones. However, none of them compare to IPKKND. This is because of the lead pair of this show. 

I think the fan love for this show should not be under estimated. This may actually pave the way forward for Indian Tel;evision. Imagine pioneering something :)

AquaSandhya IF-Sizzlerz
AquaSandhya
AquaSandhya

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 7:42am | IP Logged

I am not talking about myself - by we I meant the general audience which consists of people who cannot really stand the idea of a show not being there for 3+ months as they get so used to seeing it and making it a part of their daily life.

This is also something that has been ongoing for a very long time - hence a change as drastic as bringing in seasonal shows would need to be well thought-out with the audience watching the show in mind.

Since a lot of the shows cater for an older group of audience - that audience has an attention span of a two year old. If they get bored of a show, they will move on to another, and come back to another show if the other one gets interesting. Which is why half the unreasonable twists are brought forth in the shows because they want to keep the competition alive.

Which brings me to my other point that there is a lot of competition on the Indian TV. We have a lot of channels - all of whom have shows which follow one genre - drama. Hence all the shows work towards maintaining their audience.

If the audience is such that they leave the show if it gets boring and forget about it - bringing in seasonal episodes can be risky as this is the same audience that may not tune into the next season after finding something else exciting.

Not only that, but the revenue they may make from daily episodes, along with the events from Star Plus are probably way more than what they may make from seasonal episodes.

However, personally speaking - I would love for the seasonal episodes to become a trend as it means that we will get better quality episodes and stories.

So I think the audience needs to be more adapting about this matter before such a drastic change is introduced.

IPKKND audience is different from others. This show has more international audience when compared to any other show in India. This audience is used to 'Seasons. They watch Indian television shows along with the international ones. I know that I'm as fond of this show as I have been of 'FRIENDS', 'West Wing', NCIS, PRISON BREAK ETC.

While I'm not fully aware of the number of love stories running on Indian television, I do know there are a few successful ones. However, none of them compare to IPKKND. This is because of the lead pair of this show. 

I think the fan love for this show should not be under estimated. This may actually pave the way forward for Indian Tel;evision. Imagine pioneering something :)

I agree to that, however the audience of IPKKND is not just limited to the international, or young audience. There is a wide range of people who watch this show - ranging from kids to really old people. So Star Plus has to look into that audience as well before taking such a step.

I think they have introduced the seasonal thing with Teri Meri Love Stories, and they will probably see how the turnout is the year after.

However with the shows on Star Plus, it's a big gamble to make with existing shows. You can probably do it with new shows as you are building an audience for those. With existing shows - and with the competition piling - it's a lot harder to make such a big decision, as you don't want to interfere with the audience you have already built up.

Therefore for it happening with IPKKND - the chances are close to none.

However in the future i would love it if the channel, along with other channels, explored the idea about introducing seasons.

If it is any consolation, I'm 41 years old. I never once said, young and international audience only. As for Teri Meri Love Stories, we cannot call it seasonal. They are mini love stories. Very superficial in nature. I personally watched half an episode and never went back to it.

Just because Teri Meri Love Stories is about love, it can no way be compared to IPKKND. I personally think if the seasonal thing works in the world, it'll work in India. Particularly for IPKKND coz this show has an addictive quality because of the lead pair. I can tell you my personal experience. I stumbled across this show by accident while researching for my creative writing work shop. Watched one episode and was so hooked that I watched 9 months episodes in 10 days time. 
AquaSandhya IF-Sizzlerz
AquaSandhya
AquaSandhya

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 7:52am | IP Logged

I agree to that, however the audience of IPKKND is not just limited to the international, or young audience. There is a wide range of people who watch this show - ranging from kids to really old people. So Star Plus has to look into that audience as well before taking such a step.

I think they have introduced the seasonal thing with Teri Meri Love Stories, and they will probably see how the turnout is the year after.

However with the shows on Star Plus, it's a big gamble to make with existing shows. You can probably do it with new shows as you are building an audience for those. With existing shows - and with the competition piling - it's a lot harder to make such a big decision, as you don't want to interfere with the audience you have already built up.

Therefore for it happening with IPKKND - the chances are close to none.

However in the future i would love it if the channel, along with other channels, explored the idea about introducing seasons.

If it is any consolation, I'm 41 years old. I never once said, young and international audience only. As for Teri Meri Love Stories, we cannot call it seasonal. They are mini love stories. Very superficial in nature. I personally watched half an episode and never went back to it.

Just because Teri Meri Love Stories is about love, it can no way be compared to IPKKND. I personally think if the seasonal thing works in the world, it'll work in India. Particularly for IPKKND coz this show has an addictive quality because of the lead pair. I can tell you my personal experience. I stumbled across this show by accident while researching for my creative writing work shop. Watched one episode and was so hooked that I watched 9 months episodes in 10 days time. 

I wasn't putting you in any specific category, I merely meant to point out that the audience does consist of those that do not necessarily watch Western shows and therefore do not know much about the seasonal episodes - unless they watch reality TV shows.

I took the example of Teri Meri Love Stories because it was the only seasonal Star show. However another one would be Rishta.com
It completed its season 1, and due to low revenues, and competition with other shows that were generating consistent TRPs, it was not renewed for another season. As long as other shows continue to show daily episodes, the breakthrough of seasonal shows is going to be hard.

Maybe if they ended this show, and came back with a fresh storyline, new characters, same leads etc - they could venture into this seasonal episodes. However, I still believe that for this change to occur, it needs to be done across many channels, many shows for it to be effective. Otherwise the TRPs are going to kick you off the charts.

If you go back to my original post, you'll see that I said, if anybody has the clout to pioneer seasonal shows in India, it is Star Plus. Somebody needs to begin. Star Plus has the capability to set the trend and IPKKND has the power (sizzling chemistry of the leads) to draw the audience. Given those factors, there is no way the TRP's will show otherwise. 
As for audience without international exposure, I agree that not all IPKKND fans watch international shows, like my mother and grand mother. But as someone who understands where they stand with this show, I feel they'll look forward to the show after a break and not move on. Of course this is my personal opinion and opinion of few friends who seem to feel the same way.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

manutdno1

herebedragons Senior Member
herebedragons
herebedragons

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 7:56am | IP Logged
Amen. Well said.

Go to top