Arjun

India-Forums

   
Arjun
Arjun

Arjun Episode 26: Old Sins cast Long Shadows (Page 4)

sashashyam IF-Sizzlerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Joined: 04 January 2012
Posts: 13118

Posted: 12 November 2012 at 3:38am | IP Logged
My dear (could I have your real name, unless you would rather not share it?), 

That is such a wonderful compliment! Thank you so much. I often , feel that my kind of analysis is not really suited for this forum, but posts like yours reassure me somewhat!

I have a feeling that Rathore's back story, as and when it emerges, will be as bad as Arjun's. It is just that though Rathore is less of an introvert,  he is far more stoic than Arjun. He would definitely not wear his grief and his hurts on his sleeve.

Shyamala B.Cowsik

Originally posted by Queen.Bee

didnt watch the episode yet... after reading ur update.. it is like really watching it.. nice analysis.. and yeah me too feel like rathore is being sidelined too much and arjun is highlighted.. sometimes it feels like rathore is doing nothing and arjun seems like head of etf...

chotu's story... really felt bad for him... looks like everyone has a story... looking fwd to know rathore's...

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

mushiroxx

S.Stephy IF-Rockerz
S.Stephy
S.Stephy

Joined: 29 September 2010
Posts: 5016

Posted: 15 November 2012 at 5:59am | IP Logged
Wonderful analysis!! Its nice to read such posts and I hope you continue making such posts...
 
Yes, in this episode the murder victims too were criminals... criminals who had been able to escape human justice but not providential justice. It is unfortunate for the girl Mona who loses her mother and now has to live with the knowledge that both her parents were criminals (Hmm, but I do wonder whether she will be told the truth about her parents).
 
It was interesting to know about Chottu's past. I didn't think from that angle that this might make Arjun realize that others too have had to cope with trauma in their life... but then again, Arjun being an ETF officer comes across many victims and their families who have gone through such trauma and injustice, so I wonder would Chottu's story offer him any extra help to handle his own personal sufferings... I'm not sure.
 
Ok, about Rathore's contribution in the team... actually, this has come to a point where I find this quite irritating. I agree, the show is named 'Arjun' and Arjun is kind of a main character, etc. But that doesn't mean the makers should be trying to bring down Rathore in order to show Arjun as being clever. Actually, while watching the epi... I kept wondering exactly what is Rathore's contribution to the case except for listening to Arjun's suggestions and of course, doing the action scene in the end where he seemed to be doing something. I think the makers need to really strike a balance between Arjun and Rathore... I think they can show Arjun being right and Rathore wrong at times (esp where Rathore can be shown to follow the common path and Arjun comes with his out-of-the box thinking) and at other times they need to show Rathore being in charge and taking the right decisions... after all he is the chief or else what is the point of making him the chief?
 
The innumerable shooting scenes shown do make me wonder whether they are allowed to shoot all criminals like this... esp shooting to kill. I thought police officers are allowed to shoot criminals on their legs or something (without taking the life) if the criminals are escaping or something... unless of course the criminal has been issued with a shoot-at-sight warrant. And whenever these shooting scenes are shown, I always have this tendency to wonder what if the criminals (esp those shown as accomplices to the main criminal) are not really criminals or were just associated with the criminal but not involved in the crime... I mean, shouldn't they be captured and allowed to go through a trial instead of being killed...
 
 
Edited: Coming to your ques about the money matter...
What was Mary's share in the loot? I think Mary probably didn't take any share in the loot. It seemed more like the loot was done to help Leena and the child (the money was probably for their financial needs)... it seems to be a possibility.
 
And how did the police officer know about the money in the water tank? I think the writers could have added one dialogue in the end by the police officer where he confesses about the money but since that didn't happen... I'll just take a guess and say he might have got to know from Leena (aka Shika). If he did know that she and Mary were involved in the loot, he might have guessed the money would be with her and he might have searched her place or got the info out of Shika.
 
But why did the corrupt officer take only 2 crores? I can't think of any logical ans to this... It seems almost like the writers made the police officer take only part of the money so that Arjun can find the remaining money and use the clue...LOL
 
 
 
 


Edited by S.Stephy - 15 November 2012 at 6:27am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

mushiroxx

mushiroxx IF-Rockerz
mushiroxx
mushiroxx

Joined: 23 July 2010
Posts: 9159

Posted: 15 November 2012 at 9:45am | IP Logged
,aunty, thank u so much..Embarrassed yes i also think rathore's role as chief needs a fore-front in the upcoming epis...Embarrassed u corrected itLOL 
yes i read ur reply to my SS n don't worry i have all the answer's in my next update (hope they manage to satisfy u *fingers crossed*) thanks for the praises aunty, this means a lot to meBig smile
lots of love,
mushiSmileBig smile

Originally posted by sashashyam

My dear Mushi
I thoroughly enjoyed your very detailed and perceptive response to my post,  and I am so glad that my writing appeals to you.

I agree with everything that you have noted parawise, except that I still feel that for the betterment of the show, Rathore has to be built up a bit., and consistently, not as now, one step forward in the chess episode and 2 steps backwards in this one.

As for Leena and Mary,they were both very wicked and they got off lightly, to my mind, if you think of the horrors they inflicted as drug peddlers, without any pity or any regrets, on so many young people.

Don't worry about that inadvertent bloomer; I corrected it mentally when I was reading your post!

And Mushi, do read my response on part 5  of your FF The Guilt,  The angle you have brought out there just blew me away, but I do have some doubts and some questions for you, which I hope you will clarify and answer for me.

Take care, my dear girl.

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by mushiroxx

Originally posted by sashashyam

Folks,

I hope you like this title for yesterday's episode, for it fits both Leena Samant and Mary Fernandes to a T. For both these women, their ugly past catches up with them. As Chotu says, Leena pays for her sins, and her being a loving and protective mother changes nothing in this. So does Mary, and so justice is done, after a fashion. This is what the ancient Greeks called nemesis (in their pantheon, Nemesis was the goddess of retribution).

glad to see ur post aunty..Tongue n i like the title...it suits to situation perfectly..ClapThumbs Up

In this gloomy tale, there is hardly any good to be found (outside the ETF). Both the murder victims were themselves criminals in their earlier days, nor is there any trace of repentance in either. Leena lives happily off the proceeds of a bank robbery,  and Mary on her earnings from the foul drug trade (which is, in effect,  mass murder), using them for her beauty salon. Their common boyfriend, Bruce Braganza, is a hardened and  unrepentant gang leader, killer and supari-giver. To cap it all, the murder culprit turns out to be a serving police officer moonlighting (doing another job apart from his regular one) as a contract killer!

i didn't pity those two women, i would have had a little respect for them if they had earned a living by themselves n fed their children with their hard-earned money instead of raising them up on that bank-robbery money...OuchThumbs Down

It is really more like  a Raymond Chandler or James Hadley Chase novel than the usual TV crime story. The sole representative of innocence, the young Chitra aka Mona, is saddled with a genetic inheritance of the worst kind, as her parents are a thug-cum-murderer and a gangster's moll-cum-thief. It cannot get much blacker than this, would you not agree? This is not a criticism, but rather a compliment to the writers, who are obviously not afraid to probe the dark corners of  human nature. 

she was the only one who actually suffered in all thischaos...Ouch poor soul...Ouch the writers sure brought out some dark realities..DeadClap

I also see that many of you feel that the episode felt incomplete and that, as in the case of the pseudo-Naxalite kidnapping case, the ending seemed rushed and too pat. Part of this is true, but I feel that there is much to be found here that is important for the series as a whole, in terms of character development and the relationships within the ETF. So I would request you to join me as we analyse these aspects.

To begin with, Arjun's unique powers of observation and deduction are on full display here. It is  thanks to him that all the key elements in this case come to light: the cash hoard in Leena's spare water tank, the vital importance of the stick it note with the number 1001.90/ on it, and its real meaning, the link between Mary and Leena, and the location of Bruce's new target in Mumbai. That he happens to smear his finger with butter, has to wash his hand, and the dry water tap in the washbasin then leads him to the cash, is one of those lucky chances that Providence provides for the best detectives! Now for the rest.

that's what arjun is all about...his out-of-the-box thinking n cracking cases when everyone else see dead ends...ClapClap

Arjun clearly dominant: While Rathore had seemed to be coming into his own in the last Checkmate  episode,  playing a crucial if not the decisive role in solving the case, here Arjun dominates visibly at every juncture, so much so that it seems at times as if he is heading the ETF! Rathore is practically overruled by Arjun repeatedly. When he says that the money found in the flat could not be traced as Shikha was making all her payments in cash, Arjun immediately states the opposite, and instructs Shree to trace the source of the Rs.2.6 crores. Shree duly does this, linking the money to an old unsolved bank robbery. Next, Arjun practically instructs Rathore to have the source of the rare drugs traced, and then himself orders Chotu to get this done  thru his informers. When Rathore sees no link between the two murders,  other than that the loot found in Shikha's flat had come from a bank robbery in which Mary was involved (he forgets the identical drugs used in both cases), Arjun immediately contradicts him, by patching  together the 2 halves of the photo of Mary, Leena and the baby, with his trademark Samjhe ys samjhaun? (an impertinent habit that the writers would do well to drop, especially when it is directed at the ETF chief).  

it's a one-man's show...from the name of the show itself...
har yug mein aega ek ARJUN!!! so can't blame anyone except the CVs for this...Confused

While Rathore decides to split the ETF into 2 teams to work separately on the 2 murders (his saying Is that clear?  is unsual, and seems to be an attempt to reassert his authority), the fact is that Arjun uses both Shree and Chotu continuously thereafter. Who is then left to work with Rathore? No one, and he is seen doing next to nothing in the rest of the case. All the crucial interactions with SSI Damle. For example, are  done solo  by Arjun.

i cracked up during that scene...ROFL one part of the team was ARJUN n the other part shree-rathore-chotu...LOL (missed riya so much in this one)Ouch

When Rathore, ever the conventional police officer and man of action,  wants to raid Bruce's habitual addas  to try to nab him, Arjun insists on going to the BKB complex housing the new diamond trading offices, which he sees as the only likely target. Though this seems to an inspired guess, not a deduction based on facts, he proves to be correct. However,  repeated instances like this one make Rathore look ineffective, and undercut his authority over the team.

There is a brief moment of like-mindedness when Rathore approves of Arjun's idea of tracking down drug overdose cases with the same cocktail of drugs used on Mona, but that is about it.

This is not  to suggest that Arjun is trying actively to sideline Rathore, and he is the main lead, after all. Still, if the show is not to become completely one-sided and Rathore is not to look largely irrelevant, which will hurt the show, the writers need to do a balancing act soon. The ETF is a team, and it should be shown functioning as a team, not as a one man show. Rathore and Arjun need to be shown as moving, even if slowly, towards a mutually tolerant and co-operative relationship.Rathore stood up for Arjun and saved him from being suspended for having attacked Pathan; now Arjun should reciprocate.

well i prefer to stay mum on this one, don't want to hurt anyone...Embarrassed

Chotu's back story: This comes out of the blue, and is as surprising as it is moving. It produces a rare moment of concern and warmth from Arjun ' he puts his hand comfortingly on  Chotu's shoulder ' and Chotu feels reassured enough to respond likewise. Later Arjun also asks Chotu to be the first to break the news of her mother's death to Mona. The main purpose of this back story seems to be to bring home to Arjun that there are others in the ETF who too have suffered personal trauma, if not as great as his with Roshni, then at least approaching it in gravity. This should indirectly help him cope better with  his own loss and suffering. I am also sure, going by Shaleen's recent remarks about Arjun, that every character here has  a back story (barring Riya, unfortunately), that Rathore has one too, which might be as bad in its own way as Arjun's. The difference is that Rathore is far more stoic than Arjun and never betrays his feelings, focusing on being a conscientious and  responsible ETF chief.

chotu's past was quite touching...and they also gave a good message with it as well...Clap n yes i want to know rathore n shree's past now...Tongue as for riya (hate u CVs)AngryAngry

Moral ambivalence: This is a story of varying shades of black, with very little white. So the villainy is a matter of degree. Arjun is of course totally justified in raging at SSI Damle for being a blot on the reputation of a police force which has any number of honest and efficient officers.  What Damle does, out of sheer greed, is totally criminal, and is that much worse because he is  police officer, duty bound to uphold the law, not to break it so badly. He deserves the harshest possible punishment.

But look  at the other side. Mary Fernandes was a longstanding and large scale drug peddler, and in a country where the penalty for this kind of crime is capital punishment, as in Malaysia, she would have been executed without question. Leena has been with Bruce in all his criminal activities, very likely including murder, and if she had been caught, she would have gone to jail for life. Instead, she leads a quiet life for over 20 years before the long shadows of her old sins catch up with her, and she is forced to commit suicide. Should one feel sorry for her just because she ends up like this, and for Mary just because she is forced to swallow a deathly dose of the same drugs that she sold, which ruined so many lives in the old days? I think not.

There was also another instance of moral ambivalence, this time concerning the ETF. A police officer can kill in the line of duty, but only when there is no other option. In India, they are far stricter about the unnecessary use of force than, say, in the New York Police, who can shoot as soon as their target resists arrest (as in the infamous Diallo case, where an unarmed Somalian was shot 41 times by several NYPD officers). But here, the ETF indulges in a spectacular, no holds barred shoot out  straightaway,  as soon as Bruce produces his gun. (However, those slowmo  aerial acrobatics by Rathore, looking his best in sheer black, were  a visual and aesthetic delight!)  Then Chotu, having shot one of the thugs in the chest, then puts his gun into his mouth and finishes him off. Though the victim was clearly a thug, it was a shocking act, and if there had been any witnesses to it, Chotu would have been arrested on a murder charge. He has never before been shown to be so violent, and probably the idea that it was this gang that was responsible for Leena being murdered, and Mona almost killed as well, must have preyed on his mind. But it would have been  much better to have avoided that shot.

damely disgusted me bigtime...AngryAngry he should be given the harshest punishment possible (as u said)Approve the two ladies, they did sow what they reap...Stern Smile

Question marks and mistakes:  How did Damle locate and steal Rs.2 crores from the cash hoard in the water tank? Did he discover it by chance, and if so, why did  he not take the whole of it?

If Mary worked with Leena in stealing the Rs.6 crores and then helped her to disappear, surely she would have taken a share of the loot? Why was Leena able to keep the whole? And what did she spend R.1.4 crores on, seeing that she had not bought her flat but only rented it?

How did the security guards not see Damle come into the building that night? They  tell the ETF that no one came.

Why was that photo of the three ' Leena, her baby and Mary ' cut into two parts, and why did Leena and Mary each keep the part showing herself,  and not the other, as would have been logical if it was  a memento?

The couple of  mistakes were minor: Rathore, after examining Shikha's documents, notes that her passport and PAN card (used for income tax purposes) were obtained in November-December 2011, whereas the date on the passport is clearly seen to be September 10, 2011. More seriously, Arjun states that Mona is Chitra,  since both had the same year of birth, 1996, which is ridiculous. The fact os that both had the same date of birth, Febrary 2, 1996, which is the clinching factor.

there were some gliches in the plot n even i was confused with that pic thing..LOL but aunty, i don;t watch the show with the same enthusiasm now...Ouch so...i didn't probe deep into all these matters..Embarrassed

Sole glimpse of hope: At the end, there is a slight silver lining among all this darkness, as Mona finds a safe refuge with her dadi, Bruce's mother Jenny Braganza. It should make Chotu feel a bit better, though what he should really pray for is in spite of her having such parents, and a father in jail for the rest of his life to boot, Mona still manages to live a normal, simple life.

 hope that she does lead a normal life after knowing all this...ConfusedEmbarrassed

Shyamala B.Cowsik

my reply is in pink (or purple)Confused the colour is confusing me...LOLLOL

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

sashashyam

sashashyam IF-Sizzlerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Joined: 04 January 2012
Posts: 13118

Posted: 15 November 2012 at 11:48am | IP Logged
My dear Stephy,

Thanks a lot for your very kind comments. You have no idea how refreshing it  is to have such an interesting and constructive exchange on a post!

Though what you have said about Arjun being familiar with the whole gamut of human misery thru his work is quite correct, I think it still makes a  difference when it is a colleague, just as it would have a greater impact if it happened to a family member as compared to an outsider. That is why  I thought that Chotu's revelations (which seems a tad abrupt and forced, and were not helped by the fact that the actor is rather limited in his facial expressions ) had been inserted for that purpose.

It remains to be seen when Rathore's back story emerges; Shree, with  his bubbling sense of mischief, does not seem to be a promising candidate for a tragic back story! Riya would have been one, especially with that mental block of hers about shooting, but that door has now been firmly closed.

I see that we are of one mind re:Rathore, and I do hope the CVs try and balance things out a bit. As things are, this sort of equation would be intolerable to any boss, and especially in the police, which is a very hierarchical and rank-conscious service, for they need to maintain strict internal discipline more than any other government service except the armed forces. I was rewatching some of the old episodes, and there, even when Arjun offers counter theories, he does it less bluntly, and it is Rathore who issues the action orders, makes the team division etc. Since this last weekend, even that is gone, and Arjun is shown issuing all the orders and he commandeers both Shree and Chotu, so who then is there to work with Rathore? He is being made out to be a Watson to Arjun's Holmes , but then Holmes was not a police officer and Watson was not his boss!Wink

I agree completely with you about the shooting scenes, which are excessive and over long, as are the fisticuffs scenes, come to think of it.  When Rathore bashes someone up in style, I used to feel that he is imagining that it is Arjun at the receiving end and feeling a bit better! You would have seen my strong comments on the scene of Chotu shooting that thug in this post, but many other police forces also use excessive force, especially the American cops, with the New York and Los Angeles police being the harshest.

In India, police shooting is strictly regulated, and these kinds of fusillades would occur only against terrorists or in hostage taking situations. Here it is shown that way to enhance the macho quotient and to show many loving slow mo shots of unbelievably accurate ambidextrous shooting by a chap leaping out at the thugs and seemingly suspended in mid air! The bank van robbery case was a case in point for Arjun, and this one for Rathore.

This apart, the head shots shown very often are far too gruesome for an 8 pm show, a time when kids are still around. Remember the head shot by the contract killer in the Stolen Ganesha episode, which was repeated so many  times in flashbacks? And the head shot by Riya in the swimming pool murder case? That too was repeated umpteen times. I feel they should tone down these awful close up shots, which must be off putting even for adults. They are like something from a Quentin Tarantino film, or from Anurag Kashyap's The Gangs of Wasseypur,  not like something in a normal crime serial.

As for the open questions, I agree that even by exerting our collective imagination, we would not be able to answer the half of them!

It was fun discussing all this with you, and I hope you will find time to go thru any other analyses that I might write in the future as well. I was pleased to see that you had liked my post on the dead stockbroker case, but did you look at the other one, on the swimming pool murder (I have done just 3 so far)? If you have not, and you would be interested, it is at

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3220402

Take care.

Shyamala B.Cowsik

Originally posted by S.Stephy

Wonderful analysis!! Its nice to read such posts and I hope you continue making such posts...
 
Yes, in this episode the murder victims too were criminals... criminals who had been able to escape human justice but not providential justice. It is unfortunate for the girl Mona who loses her mother and now has to live with the knowledge that both her parents were criminals (Hmm, but I do wonder whether she will be told the truth about her parents).
 
It was interesting to know about Chottu's past. I didn't think from that angle that this might make Arjun realize that others too have had to cope with trauma in their life... but then again, Arjun being an ETF officer comes across many victims and their families who have gone through such trauma and injustice, so I wonder would Chottu's story offer him any extra help to handle his own personal sufferings... I'm not sure.
 
Ok, about Rathore's contribution in the team... actually, this has come to a point where I find this quite irritating. I agree, the show is named 'Arjun' and Arjun is kind of a main character, etc. But that doesn't mean the makers should be trying to bring down Rathore in order to show Arjun as being clever. Actually, while watching the epi... I kept wondering exactly what is Rathore's contribution to the case except for listening to Arjun's suggestions and of course, doing the action scene in the end where he seemed to be doing something. I think the makers need to really strike a balance between Arjun and Rathore... I think they can show Arjun being right and Rathore wrong at times (esp where Rathore can be shown to follow the common path and Arjun comes with his out-of-the box thinking) and at other times they need to show Rathore being in charge and taking the right decisions... after all he is the chief or else what is the point of making him the chief?
 
The innumerable shooting scenes shown do make me wonder whether they are allowed to shoot all criminals like this... esp shooting to kill. I thought police officers are allowed to shoot criminals on their legs or something (without taking the life) if the criminals are escaping or something... unless of course the criminal has been issued with a shoot-at-sight warrant. And whenever these shooting scenes are shown, I always have this tendency to wonder what if the criminals (esp those shown as accomplices to the main criminal) are not really criminals or were just associated with the criminal but not involved in the crime... I mean, shouldn't they be captured and allowed to go through a trial instead of being killed...
 
Edited: Coming to your ques about the money matter...
What was Mary's share in the loot? I think Mary probably didn't take any share in the loot. It seemed more like the loot was done to help Leena and the child (the money was probably for their financial needs)... it seems to be a possibility.
 
And how did the police officer know about the money in the water tank? I think the writers could have added one dialogue in the end by the police officer where he confesses about the money but since that didn't happen... I'll just take a guess and say he might have got to know from Leena (aka Shika). If he did know that she and Mary were involved in the loot, he might have guessed the money would be with her and he might have searched her place or got the info out of Shika.
 
But why did the corrupt officer take only 2 crores? I can't think of any logical ans to this... It seems almost like the writers made the police officer take only part of the money so that Arjun can find the remaining money and use the clue...LOL
 
 
 
 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

S.Stephy

S.Stephy IF-Rockerz
S.Stephy
S.Stephy

Joined: 29 September 2010
Posts: 5016

Posted: 17 November 2012 at 5:23am | IP Logged
My replies in maroon below...
 
Originally posted by sashashyam

My dear Stephy,

Thanks a lot for your very kind comments. You have no idea how refreshing it  is to have such an interesting and constructive exchange on a post!

Though what you have said about Arjun being familiar with the whole gamut of human misery thru his work is quite correct, I think it still makes a  difference when it is a colleague, just as it would have a greater impact if it happened to a family member as compared to an outsider. That is why  I thought that Chotu's revelations (which seems a tad abrupt and forced, and were not helped by the fact that the actor is rather limited in his facial expressions ) had been inserted for that purpose.
 
It makes sense. As of now, they haven't shown Arjun reflecting on Chottu's story... but I guess they might show it at a later point...
 
 
 
It remains to be seen when Rathore's back story emerges; Shree, with  his bubbling sense of mischief, does not seem to be a promising candidate for a tragic back story! Riya would have been one, especially with that mental block of hers about shooting, but that door has now been firmly closed.
 
Yes, it would be interesting to see other's back stories. Even if Shree doesn't have a tragic story associated with him, I think it'll still be interesting to know some background info about him.
I had always thought that Riya would have some story behind her... but yeah, with Riya's death, it doesn't seem anything would be shown.
 

I see that we are of one mind re:Rathore, and I do hope the CVs try and balance things out a bit. As things are, this sort of equation would be intolerable to any boss, and especially in the police, which is a very hierarchical and rank-conscious service, for they need to maintain strict internal discipline more than any other government service except the armed forces. I was rewatching some of the old episodes, and there, even when Arjun offers counter theories, he does it less bluntly, and it is Rathore who issues the action orders, makes the team division etc. Since this last weekend, even that is gone, and Arjun is shown issuing all the orders and he commandeers both Shree and Chotu, so who then is there to work with Rathore? He is being made out to be a Watson to Arjun's Holmes , but then Holmes was not a police officer and Watson was not his boss!Wink
 
In the Holmes-Watson equation, it made sense if Holmes always had the upperhand because Holmes was the detective and Watson was just a friend accompanying Holmes duing the cases and not a detective himself. Here both Arjun and Rathore are ETF officers and moreover, Rathore is the chief. So it doesn't reflect well on Rathore if he is always shown to be incompetent in order to make Arjun seem like the 'hero'.

I agree completely with you about the shooting scenes, which are excessive and over long, as are the fisticuffs scenes, come to think of it.  When Rathore bashes someone up in style, I used to feel that he is imagining that it is Arjun at the receiving end and feeling a bit better! You would have seen my strong comments on the scene of Chotu shooting that thug in this post, but many other police forces also use excessive force, especially the American cops, with the New York and Los Angeles police being the harshest.

In India, police shooting is strictly regulated, and these kinds of fusillades would occur only against terrorists or in hostage taking situations. Here it is shown that way to enhance the macho quotient and to show many loving slow mo shots of unbelievably accurate ambidextrous shooting by a chap leaping out at the thugs and seemingly suspended in mid air! The bank van robbery case was a case in point for Arjun, and this one for Rathore.
 
Yes, these shooting scenes are way too exaggerated and all the flying shots, etc. seem something out of a Bollwood movie. That scene in the bank van robbery case where Arjun was suspended mid-air for far too long... just made me laugh and somehow it didn't seem like the right reaction for such a serious scene!!

This apart, the head shots shown very often are far too gruesome for an 8 pm show, a time when kids are still around. Remember the head shot by the contract killer in the Stolen Ganesha episode, which was repeated so many  times in flashbacks? And the head shot by Riya in the swimming pool murder case? That too was repeated umpteen times. I feel they should tone down these awful close up shots, which must be off putting even for adults. They are like something from a Quentin Tarantino film, or from Anurag Kashyap's The Gangs of Wasseypur,  not like something in a normal crime serial.
The makers should indeed tone down these gun-shot scenes. It does seem a bit too much for an 8pm show.

As for the open questions, I agree that even by exerting our collective imagination, we would not be able to answer the half of them!

It was fun discussing all this with you, and I hope you will find time to go thru any other analyses that I might write in the future as well. I was pleased to see that you had liked my post on the dead stockbroker case, but did you look at the other one, on the swimming pool murder (I have done just 3 so far)? If you have not, and you would be interested, it is at

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3220402

Thanks for the link. I'll read through it.
And thanks for your reply.
 
 

Take care.

Shyamala B.Cowsik

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

sashashyam

sashashyam IF-Sizzlerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Joined: 04 January 2012
Posts: 13118

Posted: 17 November 2012 at 12:41pm | IP Logged
My dear Stephy,

I am really getting spoilt with so much of pertinent comments from you; thanks a lot!

I quite agree with your take on the Holmes-Watson equation, which was quite different both because of the latter, as you have correctly pointed out, not being in the detection line at all, and also because  Watson sees himself as a worshipful admirer and chronicler of Holmes' genius.

Rathod is increasingly getting stepmotherly treatment, and while I have not yet watched today's episode about the burnt policeman, I hope he gets some author-backing there; he really needs it!

Warm regards.

Shyamala B.Cowsik

Originally posted by S.Stephy

My replies in maroon below...
 
Originally posted by sashashyam

My dear Stephy,

Thanks a lot for your very kind comments. You have no idea how refreshing it  is to have such an interesting and constructive exchange on a post!

Though what you have said about Arjun being familiar with the whole gamut of human misery thru his work is quite correct, I think it still makes a  difference when it is a colleague, just as it would have a greater impact if it happened to a family member as compared to an outsider. That is why  I thought that Chotu's revelations (which seems a tad abrupt and forced, and were not helped by the fact that the actor is rather limited in his facial expressions ) had been inserted for that purpose.
 
It makes sense. As of now, they haven't shown Arjun reflecting on Chottu's story... but I guess they might show it at a later point...
 
It remains to be seen when Rathore's back story emerges; Shree, with  his bubbling sense of mischief, does not seem to be a promising candidate for a tragic back story! Riya would have been one, especially with that mental block of hers about shooting, but that door has now been firmly closed.
 
Yes, it would be interesting to see other's back stories. Even if Shree doesn't have a tragic story associated with him, I think it'll still be interesting to know some background info about him.
I had always thought that Riya would have some story behind her... but yeah, with Riya's death, it doesn't seem anything would be shown.

I see that we are of one mind re:Rathore, and I do hope the CVs try and balance things out a bit. As things are, this sort of equation would be intolerable to any boss, and especially in the police, which is a very hierarchical and rank-conscious service, for they need to maintain strict internal discipline more than any other government service except the armed forces. I was rewatching some of the old episodes, and there, even when Arjun offers counter theories, he does it less bluntly, and it is Rathore who issues the action orders, makes the team division etc. Since this last weekend, even that is gone, and Arjun is shown issuing all the orders and he commandeers both Shree and Chotu, so who then is there to work with Rathore? He is being made out to be a Watson to Arjun's Holmes , but then Holmes was not a police officer and Watson was not his boss!Wink
 
In the Holmes-Watson equation, it made sense if Holmes always had the upperhand because Holmes was the detective and Watson was just a friend accompanying Holmes duing the cases and not a detective himself. Here both Arjun and Rathore are ETF officers and moreover, Rathore is the chief. So it doesn't reflect well on Rathore if he is always shown to be incompetent in order to make Arjun seem like the 'hero'.

I agree completely with you about the shooting scenes, which are excessive and over long, as are the fisticuffs scenes, come to think of it.  When Rathore bashes someone up in style, I used to feel that he is imagining that it is Arjun at the receiving end and feeling a bit better! You would have seen my strong comments on the scene of Chotu shooting that thug in this post, but many other police forces also use excessive force, especially the American cops, with the New York and Los Angeles police being the harshest.

In India, police shooting is strictly regulated, and these kinds of fusillades would occur only against terrorists or in hostage taking situations. Here it is shown that way to enhance the macho quotient and to show many loving slow mo shots of unbelievably accurate ambidextrous shooting by a chap leaping out at the thugs and seemingly suspended in mid air! The bank van robbery case was a case in point for Arjun, and this one for Rathore.
 
Yes, these shooting scenes are way too exaggerated and all the flying shots, etc. seem something out of a Bollwood movie. That scene in the bank van robbery case where Arjun was suspended mid-air for far too long... just made me laugh and somehow it didn't seem like the right reaction for such a serious scene!!

This apart, the head shots shown very often are far too gruesome for an 8 pm show, a time when kids are still around. Remember the head shot by the contract killer in the Stolen Ganesha episode, which was repeated so many  times in flashbacks? And the head shot by Riya in the swimming pool murder case? That too was repeated umpteen times. I feel they should tone down these awful close up shots, which must be off putting even for adults. They are like something from a Quentin Tarantino film, or from Anurag Kashyap's The Gangs of Wasseypur,  not like something in a normal crime serial.
The makers should indeed tone down these gun-shot scenes. It does seem a bit too much for an 8pm show.

As for the open questions, I agree that even by exerting our collective imagination, we would not be able to answer the half of them!

It was fun discussing all this with you, and I hope you will find time to go thru any other analyses that I might write in the future as well. I was pleased to see that you had liked my post on the dead stockbroker case, but did you look at the other one, on the swimming pool murder (I have done just 3 so far)? If you have not, and you would be interested, it is at

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3220402

Thanks for the link. I'll read through it.
And thanks for your reply.
 
 

Take care.

Shyamala B.Cowsik

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

S.Stephy

sangi1108doon Groupbie
sangi1108doon
sangi1108doon

Joined: 31 March 2012
Posts: 78

Posted: 23 November 2012 at 11:11pm | IP Logged
hii...well i always look up to ur analyses of d episodes...dis 1 was also really well written n touching each n every aspect...Smilesorry for commenting so late...actually nowadays dont feel like logging in to d forum pretty often...m just a silent reader..Unhappybut  yes i do read ur posts thoroughly n enjoi dem a lot...thanku for d PM...Smile
sashashyam IF-Sizzlerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Joined: 04 January 2012
Posts: 13118

Posted: 24 November 2012 at 12:02am | IP Logged
Thank you, my dear, and I am pleased that you read and really liked such a long analysis.

Did you see my next one, Arjun Episode 27: Varying Shades of Love? If you haven't do give it a try. It is at

http://www.india-forums.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=3295922
I was intending to  do one about 28 and 29 together, for I felt very strongly about the sadistic violence of the constable being burnt alive in the former but I was not at all well this week and so I never got that done. I hope the two episodes this weekend are good.

Take care and keep well.

Shyamala B.Cowsik

Originally posted by sangi1108doon

hii...well i always look up to ur analyses of d episodes...dis 1 was also really well written n touching each n every aspect...Smilesorry for commenting so late...actually nowadays dont feel like logging in to d forum pretty often...m just a silent reader..Unhappybut  yes i do read ur posts thoroughly n enjoi dem a lot...thanku for d PM...Smile

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Arjun Topic Index

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index