India-Forums

Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat
Bollywood News, Bollywood Movies, Bollywood Chat

Exclusive: My BO predictions for SON OF SARDAAR

srkat Goldie
srkat
srkat

Posted: 11 November 2012 at 4:25am | IP Logged

People may not think about this much, but there is something that should be mentioned. Ajay Devgan's current successful run started around the same time as Salman Khan current successful run. Much like Salman Khan was giving flop films pre-2009, Ajay was doing the same, with non-performers like CASH, RGV KI AAG, SUNDAY, U ME AUR HUM, and MEHBOOBA (not many people may even know that such a film existed!). But, much like Salman Khan turned himself around with the success of WANTED, Ajay Devgan turned himself around, coincidentally, on Diwali in 2009, with ALL THE BEST out-performing BLUE and MAIN AUR MS KHANNA and turning out to the surprise success of Diwali 2009. His success continued in 2010, with ATHITHI TUM KAB JAAOGE (successful), RAJNEETI (Super Hit/Blockbuster), ONCE UPON A TIME IN MUMBAI (Very appreciated and Hit), and GOLMAAL 3 (Blockbuster, second highest grosser of that year just behind DABANNG). He has had a few flops in between, but in 2011 he had SINGHAM and in 2012 he had BOL BACCHAN. Ajay Devgn has been on a roll!

When the theatrical trailer of SON OF SARDAAR was released in July, it seemed right away that the film has the formula for success. A mass entertainer on Diwali with big stars, it can't go wrong! But, there is an obstacle in the path of SON OF SARDAAR, and that obstacle is called JAB TAK HAI JAAN!

Amongst people, the questions surrounding SON OF SARDAAR have been endless. "Can Ajay Devgan deliver a hugely successful film without Rohit Shetty?" More questions were added when Yash Chopra passed away. "Will Ajay Devgan change the release date of his film?"  Ajay did say "If I release the film on my date, people will call me a villain. If I don't release the film on this date, there will be losses." Then, of course, the controversary based on the screen count difference between JAB TAK HAI JAAN and SON OF SARDAAR. "Is Ajay doing all of this for publicity?" So many questions!

However, let me point out the things that go in favor of SON OF SARDAAR. During Diwali, there a lot of people who want to celebrate and have fun, and they want to see a film that as well during Diwali. SON OF SARDAAR fits that bill, because it seems to be a very massy, fun type of film that the audience will enjoy. I'm sure, that SON OF SARDAAR will find huge appreciation from the masses/single screen audience. The masses will go wild during the film, for a lot of things: Ajay Devgn's scenes, the comedy/action scenes, Salman Khan's song (PO PO), and another thing that could also actually be added, is the DABANNG 2 trailer, which seems to be purposely attached to SON OF SARDAAR for the purpose of getting the audience to completely lose their voice by the time they leave the theatre with all the whistling, enjoyment, and clapping that they will do when they are in the theatre (due to the DABANNG 2 trailer and SON OF SARDAAR the film itself)! 

Must also mention, Salman Khan is being smart here. He has used SON OF SARDAAR as a way to open the gates to the promotion of DABANNG 2, and this became more clear to me when I saw Salman dancing with Sonakshi in the Po Po song. 

Overall, as I have mentioned, the mass/single screen audience will love SON OF SARDAAR. The film's appreciation will be best in North India. However, on the other side, there is a possibily that the class audience may find the film a bit loud and over-the-top. 

Now, to the box office part! SON OF SARDAAR will take a good opening, but not great, due to the mighty opposition called JAB TAK HAI JAAN. Nonetheless, from my personal knowledge of box office, SON OF SARDAAR's opening will be best in places like Delhi, East Punjab, Bihar, CP, CI, Rajasthan, etc. What goes in favor of SON OF SARDAAR is that the film will get more multiplex screens due to shorter running time. After the holiday period, I feel that SON OF SARDAAR will continue to sustain with solid collections. Having said that, it can't be ignored that SON OF SARDAAR has had a lot of money invested in it and it has also been reportedly sold for a very high price, meaning that the box office collections will have to be very high for the film to be a success.

My Box Office Predictions for SON OF SARDAAR:

Opening Day: 7.50 crores net

Opening 6 Day Weekend: 60-65 crores net   range 

Lifetime Collections: 115 crores net

Overall Box Office Verdict: Hit

Ajay Devgn, Sanjay Dutt, and Sonakshi will be smiling after the success of this film. For Ajay, this will be another film of his to enter the 100 crore club. He will prove those wrong that think he can't be succesful without Rohit Shetty. The masses will like Ajay in this film. For Sanjay Dutt, 2012 has already been a comeback year of sorts for him, with AGNEEPATH being a huge success and his acting in that film getting huge appreciation. Ajay recently said in an interview that Sanjay is the highlight of SON OF SARDAAR, and if it's true, then this year will be even better than it already has been for him. As for Sonakshi Sinha, this will be another film of her's to enter the 100 crore club after DABANNG and ROWDY RATHORE. And next after SON OF SARDAAR, she has DABANNG 2!

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

DurudharaLhethal.Meyou2glace-bleue

-koiza- IF-Sizzlerz
-koiza-
-koiza-

Posted: 11 November 2012 at 4:31am | IP Logged

as long as they don't butt in between JTHJ's business and their crying victim nonsense- its all good!

you2 IF-Sizzlerz
you2
you2

Posted: 11 November 2012 at 4:35am | IP Logged
just got the bookings for SOS(I visit the site for every release)

After seeing the SOS advance,like Kool Ahmed I am not so impressed by JHTH's 45-50% booking anymore..

Sunday, November 11, 2012

Son of Sardaar Advance Booking Report. Addatoday Exclusive.

Here is the exclusive Advance Booking report of Son of Sardaar. Advance Booking of SOS till last report fill in (3pm, 11-11-12) is around 40% range all India, which is pretty decent considering Ajay Devgn starrer. Advance booking for Ajay Devgn have been always a weak factor till now and hence, SOS Advance Booking result is much better than his earlier films.

In some cinemas advance booking is just around 20-30% whereas in few others, it shoots up to as high as 70-80%. Advance booking of last Ajay Devgn starrer film that were big hits such as Singham, Golmaal 3 and Bol Bachchan advance booking is much lower than SOS.

Only problem for SOS is the screens it has got. With 1400-1500 screens, for collecting a 10+ crore nett mark on first day at the box office, SOS needs a good occupancy of 70-80%. But going by the early trends SOS will have an occupancy of around 55-60% range for the first day. Still one and half days are left and see how the advance booking progress.

Below are Important Cinemas in Various Circuits Advance Booking Report (at 3pm, 11-11-12. Exclusive addatoday.com report)

Mumbai -

Fun Cinemas: Andheri - 25%
Sun City: Vile Parle - 75%
CineMAX: Infiniti 2 Mall, Malad (W) - 20%
BIG Cinemas Moviestar: Goregaon - 78%
CineMAX: Versova (Gold Class) - 60%
BIG Cinemas: Metro - 30%
BIG Cinemas: IMAX, Wadala - 25%

Delhi -

Fun Cinemas: CRM, Shahdara - 15%
Satyam Cineplexes: Janak Place - 58%
DT Star Cinemas: Vasant Kunj - 45%
DT Star Cinemas: Saket - 25%
Gurgaon -

DT City Centre: Gurgaon - 37%
DT Mega Mall: Gurgaon - 45%

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

rambo_rajkumarSanju_

you2 IF-Sizzlerz
you2
you2

Posted: 11 November 2012 at 4:37am | IP Logged
7-8 crores is about right for SOS I guess!

Edited by you2 - 11 November 2012 at 4:39am
lovanika IF-Rockerz
lovanika
lovanika

Posted: 11 November 2012 at 8:20am | IP Logged

First of all thanks for writing the expected BO report for SOS. I love your reports. I was feeling little left out with no SOS by you but only JTHJ...lolLOL

I feel that we are in for a big surprise as far as SOS is concerned. The first weekend will be big for JTHJ simply because of their monopolistic ways but then the latter is going to be in the handof SOS. It is going to emerge as a surprise and I feel it should for all the upcoming , old Samll or big budget movies which are. It big enoug to fight Yash Raj for their behavior. We need FAIR chance of showing movies. Everyone needs that or deserves that even a small time producer"
srkat Goldie
srkat
srkat

Posted: 11 November 2012 at 2:38pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by lovanika

First of all thanks for writing the expected BO report for SOS. I love your reports. I was feeling little left out with no SOS by you but only JTHJ...lolLOL

I feel that we are in for a big surprise as far as SOS is concerned. The first weekend will be big for JTHJ simply because of their monopolistic ways but then the latter is going to be in the handof SOS. It is going to emerge as a surprise and I feel it should for all the upcoming , old Samll or big budget movies which are. It big enoug to fight Yash Raj for their behavior. We need FAIR chance of showing movies. Everyone needs that or deserves that even a small time producer"

lol! i will always write predictions for all big films Smile
glace-bleue IF-Addictz
glace-bleue
glace-bleue

Posted: 11 November 2012 at 2:39pm | IP Logged
YAYYY...SOS is going to be a HIT too...hope both these movies do really well...Tongue
srkat Goldie
srkat
srkat

Posted: 11 November 2012 at 10:19pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by blue-ice

YAYYY...SOS is going to be a HIT too...hope both these movies do really well...Tongue

Smile

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

glace-bleue

Go to top