Diya Aur Baati Hum

:Baati of the Week: _M_U? (Page 10)

UMDU IF-Dazzler
UMDU
UMDU

Posted: 13 November 2012 at 11:41am | IP Logged
Originally posted by ladyterp

Originally posted by UMDU

[QUOTE=-SamiR-]Thanks for the answers UMDU ji! Smile If you get the chance, I would recommend the Bourne movies (especially the first two), mostly for their entertainment factor. Anyways, just a few more questions, if you don't mind: Yes I will try to watch.

Why do you think the biparty system is a good thing?
I think biparty system is good because we have suffered enough due to our multiparty system. No party gets a majority in the centre and a coalition government is formed with a cocktail of many parties. When that happens government loses its stability and can fall much before the completion of its tenure. Small parties having as low as 8 seats in the parliament blackmail the government. Decision making and governance suffers as they never seem to agree on anything.There is total administrative paralysis.In a biparty system atleast the winning party has the majority and can rule effectively during its tenure. They can take tough decisions.
             There is another problem in this system. It is not truly democratic as democracy is supposed to represent the will of the majority. In a multiparty system to give you a small example if there are 3 candidates from 3 parties contesting for a seat. Suppose 100 votes are polled A gets 40 B gets 30 and C gets 30. A will be declared the winner as he has got the maximum nos but look closely 60 people did not want A to win but he still won. So you are defying the majority concept. That will never happen in a biparty as it normally never results in a tie and is 49 to one and 51 to another .

While it is true that US has a bi-party system predominantly, theoretically there can be more than two.  It is just that Democratic and Republican parties dominate all the time.  There is some following for Libertian party.  And anyone can run as an Independent.  If you have been following US news, the latest party to actually influence the politics quite a bit is called Tea Party. 
Thank you for your inputs. Yes I know technically independents can run and the Tea party movement is making a headway but  in real terms the contest is always between the two major parties while in India voting is more on caste lines and votes get divided between innumerable parties. This  leads to instability and frequent threat of elections which does not happen in US. In US the others have not been able to make a headway since independence to seriously cut into the vote share. Here that is not the case  with the India as due to diversities many regional parties have mushroomed and no major political party is able to get the magical number 273 seats in Lok sabha to  form the government. The Tea partiers consider themselves to be Republicans and endorse Republican candidates. It is more a kind of grass root level democracy. It does not play a role in destabilising the government.

Edited by UMDU - 13 November 2012 at 11:54am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

-SamiR-Fizakvish.naren-Ayeshi-

UMDU IF-Dazzler
UMDU
UMDU

Posted: 13 November 2012 at 11:53am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Fizak

Great going umduji...LOved all the questions and answers tooSmile,,
U r truly my gyaan ka pitra...Hug

At present my one question

Do u believe in Destiny/Luck???

If yes, what significance it should hold in one's  life...Confused
Yes, I do believe in luck and destiny. However one should not sit back and become lethargic leaving everything to fate and destiny. We all have to do our duties and leave the rest to God to take care of us.Being there at the right place at the right time is destiny .However what you make of the opportunity is left to you.I would like to end with Voltaire's words 'Each player must accept the cards life deals him or her, once they are in hand he or she alone must decide how to play the cards and win.

-SamiR-Fizakvish.naren-Ayeshi-

MisscoolEyes Goldie
MisscoolEyes
MisscoolEyes

Posted: 13 November 2012 at 12:25pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by UMDU

Originally posted by MisscoolEyes

Uma Aunty.Thanks for such lovely answers to my questions and all other questions here! I am amazed by the wide array of your intellect!! It's been an absolute pleasure to read all your answers!Big smileHug

I specially loved the info you gave about TN,Delhi and Phillipines. Big smile
Thank you so much. It is a pleasure because my profession  basically deals with sharing of knowledge

Two more for you

1.In the Scindia family. the royal family of Gwalior in Madhya Pradesh, no man  lives to reach 60 and they may have many daughters but  only one son is born to them .A saint is supposed to have cursed the family. The heir apparent  Jyothiraditya Scindia is the Union minister of state for power  and is 41.

2.In the Wodeyar family, the royal family of Mysore every second generation is childless due to curse. 

Wah,another two facts!! didn't know the first one.Knew the second ones since my roots are in KarnatakaSmile

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

Priya_990UMDUvish.naren-Ayeshi-.Ami.

-SamiR- Goldie
-SamiR-
-SamiR-

Posted: 13 November 2012 at 3:37pm | IP Logged
Thank you UMDU ji for taking your time to answer the questions in detail! Smile

As ladyterp rightly said, although U.S. has a predominately bi-party system, there are many third parties (although I don't think the tea party is an official political party). In fact, there was a lot of debate during the recent election (in alternative media; not so much in mainstream media, unfortunately) about the 'duopoly' of republicans and democrats and its effects on America's democracy. That is why I asked about your views on bi-party system, as you are an expert on the topic and I always wondered why bi-party system is such a good idea. Anyways, I don't want to go too much into a political discussion, as that might ruin this wonderful thread. I think I'll pm you instead UMDU ji. Thumbs Up

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

vish.narenUMDU.Ami.

navyaalex8 Goldie
navyaalex8
navyaalex8

Posted: 13 November 2012 at 4:04pm | IP Logged
Congrats on being baati of the week UMDU! Enjoy your week!Smile

Cool questions n answers! I've just read your booklist... I must confess I'm guilty of skip-reading than reading-reading most of them cos I'm easily distracted Big smile Even the Bourne ones because the movies were excellent ! But Ludlum's Hunt for Red October is a firm fave... Is Pride and Prejudice/ Jane Eyre not on your list or does it automatically go on everyone's ( Ok, every female's) list?WinkLOL

BTW have you watched "The West Wing"? Fab drama on US politics, even if it was just fiction...

Edited by navyaalex8 - 13 November 2012 at 4:30pm

-SamiR-vish.narenUMDU.Ami.

.Ami. IF-Sizzlerz
.Ami.
.Ami.

Posted: 13 November 2012 at 4:17pm | IP Logged
My favorite shows recommendation on politics are- Gravy yard, The Power Game and Paranoia Agent.

navyaalex8-SamiR-vish.narenUMDU

ladyterp Senior Member
ladyterp
ladyterp

Posted: 13 November 2012 at 5:39pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by navyaalex8

Congrats on being baati of the week UMDU! Enjoy your week!SmileIs Pride and Prejudice/ Jane Eyre not on your list or does it automatically go on everyone's ( Ok, every female's) list?WinkLOL

On every romantic person's list.  Pride and Prejudice comes for free on Kindle.  I recently read that in one sitting on a 9-hr plane ride, came home and read it again twice.  My husband thought I am crazy.  I would like to believe that I was more interested in the writing style than the romance.  But check out the movie version of it with Keira Knightly.  It is pretty good as well.

navyaalex8vish.narenUMDU.Ami.

Deebz IF-Dazzler
Deebz
Deebz

Posted: 13 November 2012 at 6:17pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by ladyterp

Originally posted by navyaalex8

Congrats on being baati of the week UMDU! Enjoy your week!SmileIs Pride and Prejudice/ Jane Eyre not on your list or does it automatically go on everyone's ( Ok, every female's) list?WinkLOL

On every romantic person's list.  Pride and Prejudice comes for free on Kindle.  I recently read that in one sitting on a 9-hr plane ride, came home and read it again twice.  My husband thought I am crazy.  I would like to believe that I was more interested in the writing style than the romance.  But check out the movie version of it with Keira Knightly.  It is pretty good as well.

My daughter and I are Jane Austen fans.As for the video, BBC mini series version of Pride and Prejudice with Colin Firth is amazing. The dvd is a best buy but available on youtube as well.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

ladyterpnavyaalex8vish.narenUMDU.Ami.

Go to top