Posted: 10 November 2012 at 1:28pm | IP Logged
Hypocrisy can be easily defined as promoting virtues or beliefs or principles which one doesn't actually have and is also guilty of violating. At the end of the day we are all hypocrites, the degree may vary but we all are guilty of it in some way or another. Whether we talk about individuals or countries it exists all over the world. Do not take offense, it is just an attempt at self introspection. Some classic examples.
1. Our Indian newspapers have pages and pages of matrimonial ads asking for a tall, fair and beautiful girl. The ads have universally one thing in common. Everybody wants a fair wife. They may give lectures against apartheid or racism but when it comes to their own family the bahu has to be fair. A girl who can make them proud in their social circles and ensure the future generations in the family are good looking.
2.We may talk against corruption but will not hesitate to bribe the traffic police man if we are caught breaking the red light. Similarly being impatient by nature breaking the Qs to get work done by paying the clerk is a common scene in India.
3.We may keep our houses clean but will not hesitate to throw a chocolate wrapper in the street
and complain about our cities being unclean
4.We may hire small boys to clean our cars which is a common sight in India but talk against child labour.
5. There are innumerable sex determination clinics in India mostly in cities . The poor cannot afford them. So obviously the rich and educated are using them as they have not closed down . Outside, people advocate gender equality.
6.We in India do not believe in giving our children the right to choose what they want to do in future a point brought out in three idiots movie very well. Many students are compelled to take up science in 11th as their parents would like them to be engineers or doctors.
7. Many spiritual gurus advocate simple living and high thinking but themselves travel in business class and Mercedes cars.
8. We are taught that God created everyone equal but paying money to see God through special darshan is a common sight in many famous temples.
9.People talk against dowry in social circles but most marriages in India have the girls side bearing the marriage expenditure and the justification given is we just asked them to give us a decent marriage.We are strictly against dowry and have not taken a penny from the girls side. It however does not matter that the marriage expenditure has broken the back of the girl's father.
10.. Our politicians talk about reservations of seats in medical colleges for backward classes lowering the standards of entry into the profession which involves the life and death of a person , but get their medical treatment done in the US or Europe.
11. US talks about promoting self determination all over the world, but when their southern states wanted to secede on the issue of slavery during the civil war they fought to keep their country one. They only promote democracies in those countries which are hostile to them. Countries with dictatorships which are pro US are left alone.
12.The so called developed world are ok with their carbon di oxide emissions but want India and China to reduce, countries which have just emerged from a colonial past and are relatively new to the path of economic development ..
I know what you must be thinking. What is she getting at? Is it another Bhabo defense thread ? Well all I can say is Bhabo's methods of controlling her family may be wrong and she may take extreme measures to prove her point which may make our blood boil but her intentions are not evil. She is extremely possessive about her son and cannot let go and it is a malaise which afflicts half the mother in laws in India. Bhabo is only one among many.. What hypocrisy we accuse her of being we all are to some extent guilty of it. Why are we blind to the hypocrisy we practise and are even apologetic but are quick to point out when others do it. I would like to end with Kabirji's doha
Bura jo dekhan main chala
Bura na milya koi
Jo munn khoja apnaa
To mujhse bura na koi.
( I searched for a crooked man but found none and than I searched myself and I found the crooked one.)
Let me apologise before hand for any offense caused. It is just a point of view and an attempt at self introspection. On a lighter note Bhabo ke bina story main tadaka hi kya. She is the spice of the story.
No Indian serial or movie is considered complete without drama and DABH is no different.. Woh serial hi kya jo 5 saal na chale ,woh serial hi kya jisme saas bahu ki khipit na ho aur woh serial hi kya jisme aasu na aaye is the golden rule in the telly world.
When Sandhya struggles to reach the top with Bhabo trying her best to pull her down , than success to her will taste sweeter.
Edited by UMDU - 10 November 2012 at 3:48pm