Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

aparnauma thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago
Because my personal belief is that wedding  celebration is two people making the promises in the form of phere /saptapadi or if it is a chrstian wedding exchanging the wedding vows and muslim wedding saying qubool. And the sindoor mangal sutra /taali or ring exchange are just objects to seal the promises that have been made.And the rest are all just part of a celebrations.

But these objects-  are they necessary for a marriage?If a woman doesn't wear mangal sutr and sindhoor during her wedding does it mean that she is not married despite doing the phere/exchanging vows?

This is just a thought that occured to me.

I ll think of the answer tomorrow.

Good night all
anshurg5 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
in traditional hindu wedding all rasams are significant. but i think most important part is that all rituals takes place in front of many relatives who act as a witness to whole ceremony so that any partner can not back off easily after marriage.bride and groom and even their immediate families have to answer all the community  if any thing goes wrong in the marriage.

since gaga marrige has no witness accept G's parents he walks off easily .
aparnauma thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: piya_anshian

[
Who cares about vows ? Infact people now request pandits to refrain them for the sake of their convenience!
Thats why i dont like this concept of marriage. Total faltu. When you are not understanding the meaning of every vow and applying in your life genuinely then why doing this nautanki and fooling God ?

Somebody is truly on anti marriage mode.😉

You should take your own time in deciding you want it or not
dixie123 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

@Piyu: 🤗

Agree Piyu.. When we don't understand what we are doing there is no point. Even in festivals, I hate it when we just follow some things blindly. Even we have period (sorry for bringing this up) I just don't get why the girl is impure and can't do anything auspicious or even do puja.  I always argue with my mom on this. It is a natural process and where is impurity in it. But, I  have come up with my own interpretations of that.

@Adi: We do the Arundati star too..

@appy: I am sure there are more deeper meanings to the Sindoor and Mangalsutra rather than just being objects to seal the promise.

Piyuu_SRK thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: aparnauma

Because my personal belief is that wedding celebration is two people making the promises in the form of phere /saptapadi or if it is a chrstian wedding exchanging the wedding vows and muslim wedding saying qubool. And the sindoor mangal sutra /taali or ring exchange are just objects to seal the promises that have been made.And the rest are all just part of a celebrations.

But these objects- are they necessary for a marriage?If a woman doesn't wear mangal sutr and sindhoor during her wedding does it mean that she is not married despite doing the phere/exchanging vows?

Good night all

No Appy.
Infact my mum has never wore mangalsutra/ sindoor. Her reasons are different though that what man wears to show he is married then why women ? Doesnt that means a man dont love woman ? lol so Acc to her wedding is all about understanding, coperation, love and trust. No sindoor/ mangalsutra can stamp it.
Blukitten thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: aparnauma

Because my personal belief is that wedding celebration is two people making the promises in the form of phere /saptapadi or if it is a chrstian wedding exchanging the wedding vows and muslim wedding saying qubool. And the sindoor mangal sutra /taali or ring exchange are just objects to seal the promises that have been made.And the rest are all just part of a celebrations.

But these objects- are they necessary for a marriage?If a woman doesn't wear mangal sutr and sindhoor during her wedding does it mean that she is not married despite doing the phere/exchanging vows?

Good night all

no dear wearing these objects depends on personal choice n beief..i dont wear any wedding symbol in daily life...sometimes i wear them if i m wearing somethig traditional...it depends on my mood...n tht dosent make me less married than a symbol clad woman..marriage is to be felt frm heart not sindoor or mangalsutra
adi2512 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Aparna.,

Mangalsutr is akin to wedding rings in Christian wedding.it symbolizes the inseperal bond between the two.
Its a promise that is tied by the husband - that as long as this mangalsutr is around your neck., you are safe and so., I'am safe., b'coz U are the reason of my life.
Piyuu_SRK thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: dixie123

@Piyu: 🤗

Agree Piyu.. When we don't understand what we are doing there is no point. Even in festivals, I hate it when we just follow some things blindly. Even we have period (sorry for bringing this up) I just don't get why the girl is impure and can't do anything auspicious or even do puja. I always argue with my mom on this. It is a natural process and where is impurity in it. But, I have come up with my own interpretations of that.

@Adi: We do the Arundati star too..

@appy: I am sure there are more deeper meanings to the Sindoor and Mangalsutra rather than just being objects to seal the promise.

I remember i used to avoid going inside my house's temple room during Ps. One day my mum asked me that whats the matter with me and when i replied she shot me a ''Are you f***** kidding me look'' and i felt so stupid. 😆 She then told me that its not impure but a sort of purification process. Its natural. So no need to do such stupid things. She is way modern than me 😆 😆
Pri_kinmuk thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: nniks

no dear wearing these objects depends on personal choice n beief..i dont wear any wedding symbol in daily life...sometimes i wear them if i m wearing somethig traditional...it depends on my mood...n tht dosent make me less married than a symbol clad woman..marriage is to be felt frm heart not sindoor or mangalsutra

totally agree with u neha...it has to come form the heart...it should not be forced...both the husband and wife must have love-trust-compatibility...something which has been portrayed so beautifully in ANSH relationship or should I also say shiv-parvati relationship in hinduism
dixie123 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
@Piyu,Neha : I think in olden days, maybe it meant, when woman wore these symbols she was taken and hence she wouldn't be an object of harrassment or something like that. She was basically safe. She had a man to protect her and hence no other man would dare touch her.. Something on those lines..

Everything that has come down or passed on to us definitely has a meaning.. It meant more in those days. It doesn't mean to us much because the world has changed since many of these traditions were made..