Moral of Samudra Manthan..Picture @ page 2 - Page 2

Posted: 11 years ago
well Mahadev did say everone will get what they deserve..and if tht iten went to another person, it wud get destroyed...so the items were fairly distributed..bt the Asurs were cheated of the Amrit..of which am sure Mahadev will have an explaination... and i hope its good...coz personally i feel, a pompous idiot like Indra deserves it much lesser thn King Bali...
Originally posted by mnx12

Yes Asuras were cheated as far as getting Amrit is concerned. As a result their enimity continued. 
They did get their share from other things that came out of the Samudra Manthan.
The asurs did their job..why werent getting their reward..for their hard work.. Edited by .Reshama. - 11 years ago
Originally posted by .Reshama.

The asurs did their job..why werent they getting their reward..for their hard work..
What about the gods didnt they help them...and why were these asurs cheated..they had a noble king Bali..honestly Indra could learn a lot from him...even better..Bali should be the king of heaven..
The moral of the samundra story is that devtas can get away with ever thing.. Cant understand that the asurs worked so hard as the devtas worked and still the gods didnt helped him after the cheating ...
I thought that the devtas were on the side of the neck of Vasuki Naga, and the asur were at the tail. This is a picture of the statue of Samudra Manthan in Bangkok Suvarnabhumi Airport.  I myself visited bangkok and was mesmerised by this statue. Trust me ,it was very long and big. I think Vishnu is standing on the top.

Some more pictures:

Edited by chocolate_boy - 11 years ago
Vishnuji is in his Tortoise incarnation- Kurma Avatar, under the mount Mandar. How can he be on top too? Asuras are holding the head side of Vasuki naag & Devatas tail side in the pic.
A very good statue, thanks for the pics.
Edited by mnx12 - 11 years ago
thnx for the pics...

CVs need to do something about Indra, sorry to say but its kind of getting annoying with his arrogance and ego. I m sure the real god Indra isn't like that at all or else he wouldn't be the king ... I guess I don't like Indra's portrayal becuase I LOVE rain & he's the god of rain 😆...probably not the right reason...lol

I have to agree, Bali does seem better compared to Indra...

Originally posted by mnx12

Vishnuji is in his Tortoise incarnation- Kurma Avatar, under the mount Mandar. How can he be on top too? Asuras are holding the head side of Vasuki naag & Devatas tail side in the pic.
A very good statue, thanks for the pics.

The turtle is under the mandar according to myth but here it is not shown. I am not sure if the one is Vishnu but who can be other than him? 

I actually did not know about Samudra Manthan when I visited Bangkok. I thought it was a Buddist ritual. I clicked somes photos with Vasuki's 5 heads.  After DKDM, I knew It was this Samudra Manthan.  
Originally posted by samana17

To say the truth, Indra seems to be under bad light throughout the mythos. Isn't he the god who makes rain?
We have indrajatra every year celebrated by the newari society.
Though it was unfair for the asurs in the case of samundra manthan. But god knows what the asurs could hav done if the amrit had been given to them. Lol.

If Vishnu had issues w/ the asuras having amrit, fine, but then, it was unethical of him to get the devas to invite the asuras to help them do the manthan simply b'cos they were incapable of doing it on their own.  It would be like me inviting various groups of friends - personal friends, colleagues, relatives, old schoolmates, et al to a party, have them all help set it up, and then decide that one group of them doesn't deserve to have the cake.  If I think that, then the right thing to do is not invite that particular group in the first place.

On a different note, thinking about it some, I just don't think the Bali of Kurma avatar is the same as Bali of Vamana avatar, as mentioned in the SB narrative.  For one thing, I go by the Dashavatar theory and that too chronologically - M, K, V, N, V, P,... and not by SB's 22 avatar theory, where Vyasa rather narcissistically makes himself one of the avatars.  Also, it defies logic and makes Vishnu schizophrenic to suggest that he had issue w/ Bali getting the amrit in the samudra manthan episode, but no issue making Bali immortal after the Vamana episode.  I therefore can only conclude that Bali being a common enough name at the time, the 2 Balis were different, and that Vishnu had issues w/ one of them, but not the other.

On the issue of Indra, as we've discussed in the past, the Vedic Indra did not have any of the negative attributes that the Puranic Indra had.  However, since all these stories about Narayan or Mahadev are taken from various Puranas, it's somewhat difficult, if not impossible, to show stories about them, and juxtapose them w/ the Vedic, as opposed to the Puranic Indra.

However, in this serial, they are not being true to even Puranic accounts, let alone Vedic, so that's neither here nor there.
Originally posted by anu rulz

well Mahadev did say everone will get what they deserve..and if tht iten went to another person, it wud get destroyed...so the items were fairly distributed..bt the Asurs were cheated of the Amrit..of which am sure Mahadev will have an explaination... and i hope its good...coz personally i feel, a pompous idiot like Indra deserves it much lesser thn King Bali...

Anu

Welcome here.  First time I'm seeing you in a mytho discussion.  Actually, this story has been pretty twisted in this serial - samudra manthan was exclusively a Vishnu project, and Vishnu had no qualms about cheating the asuras, whereas Mahadev and Brahma were generally fair.

Mahadev's only role in this story was coming there and having the halahal - after which his role ended.  It's therefore strange to see Samudra Manthan shown in this serial, since Mahadev's was just a cameo appearance.