Lajja = Modesty = Women ?? - Page 21

Posted: 11 years ago
Originally posted by NadzGirl...

I'm back...

Firstly I didn't understand certain Hindi phrases/words so forgive me for that and I didn't watch the video either

Moving on to the discussion point which is about women and modesty, I think the word modesty implies to all humans in general irrespective of the gender. Perhaps it's an ancient belief or rather an unspoken expectation from women to be less superior, timid and pose a laid back attitude towards the opposite gender

I don't really get this. We live in a free world where everybody has their own freedom and equal rights. Then why holding back one selected group of people with a leash and free the rest? Women should be respected and let alone

@Bold: Bingo, it is as ancient as some mummy lying in peace in the Pyramids ðŸ˜›

@Blue: I am sure people understand everyone's freedom. But you see when such lines are used on a public platform like BB or movies or TV shows, it simply creates boundaries for girls to re-evaluate their behavior or the way they are. This goes beyond the show to our society where some girls lack the courage or guts to speak up in order to fit in the stereotype or perception of the society. And there isn't anything wrong with being Modest. I am sure everyone is Modest time to time, but there are moments people lose their cool. So people need to criticize someone for their aggressiveness instead of backing it up and criticize girls because they are girls who should be modest, that is something that goes over my head.

Anyways, the debate shall go on, but thanks for your divine words 🤗
Would love to yap more but it's time to hit the sheets doll. I'll catch you again on this topic or else where

Mwaah lots of love ðŸ¤—
Originally posted by naneta

<font size="4">i dnt find anythng wrong with the word lajja used by Sidhu ji...</font>
<font size="4">no matter how modern we become but there is always a sharam or lajja in front of our elders..</font>

<font size="4">this is wat Sidhu ji meant..</font>

That makes no sense. If the elder is an ass, I assure you there will no "sharam" or "Lajja" from my side only invectives.
Well I kinda agree the lajja and all that comment was not needed. He could have chosen another word. I mean being someone of his stature when it comes to speeches he definitely could do better. But as far i could see Sidhu mr speaker is always prepared with his answers in his mind; he probably  thought sapna would not bring up that question[after all that hullabaloo and crying after] and when she did he somehow lost his cool.
But I also strongly do believe that it somehow does not mean he had any undertone of sexism or misogyny. 
Regarding to his comments I think we are in times when political correctness is doing exactly opposite of what is supposed to do. 
Women are allowed to say and do certain things but men are not.
Colored people can say stuff to white people but they cant retort back and same goes for straight ppl who can be harassed by LGBT.
Instead of equality we are tilting the scales in opposite direction.

Mostly ppl would disagree with me on this. But I know exactly what i intend to say and I see it everyday on the streets. Affirmative action for one group may also mean apartheid against other.

Reservation is an example..There is many more...
Peace.

Edited by scofield - 11 years ago
Originally posted by scofield

Well I kinda agree the lajja and all that comment was not needed. He could have chosen another word. I mean being someone of his stature when it comes to speeches he definitely could do better. But as far i could see Sidhu mr speaker is always prepared with his answers in his mind; he probably  thought sapna would not bring up that question[after all that hullabaloo and crying after] and when she did he somehow lost his cool.
But I also strongly do believe that it somehow does not mean he had any undertone of sexism or misogyny. 
Regarding to his comments I think we are in times when political correctness is doing exactly opposite of what is supposed to do. 
Women are allowed to say and do certain things but men are not.
Colored people can say stuff to white people but they cant retort back and same goes for straight ppl who can be harassed by LGBT.
Instead of equality we are tilting the scales in opposite direction.

Mostly ppl would disagree with me on this. But I know exactly what i intend to say and I see it everyday on the streets. Affirmative action for one group may also mean apartheid against other.

Reservation is an example..There is many more...
Peace.

For now I am going to disagree you on this, because I do not know what you mean by women are allowed to say and do certain things, but men aren't 😕 Same with "straight people can be harassed by LGBT" 😕

So I do not understand your statement "Instead of equality we are tilting the scales in opposite direction" Equality hasn't been even reached so I do not see how the scale in already getting titled in the opposite direction unless you are willing to elaborate more on your POV.
Edited by -Chandramukhi- - 11 years ago
And the words like lajja are very subjective to the listener. For someone it could mean being modest and humble. Most girls and women like to be exactly that regardless of what they chose to wear or how much to wear.

But for some that word could entail, omg he wants us to dress in burqas and stay at home . How dare he, this is 21st century.

I say who cares what who says..embrace yourself the way you are..

Originally posted by scofield

And the words like lajja are very subjective to the listener. For someone it could mean being modest and humble. Most girls and women like to be exactly that regardless of what they chose to wear or how much to wear.

But for some that word could entail, omg he wants us to dress in burqas and stay at home . How dare he, this is 21st century.

I say who cares what who says..embrace yourself the way you are..

@bold: Again you just proved how many people think and assume. Everyone likes to be modest and humble regardless of the gender, how is that even applicable to only girls or women 😕

You did the same what Siddhu did, instead of saying most humans you used most girls or women
Edited by -Chandramukhi- - 11 years ago
Originally posted by estel

Agreed. It is subjective.

But since he is 47 years old I am convinced his definition of lajja is different.

And the fact that he chose Aashka and delnaz over his self-confessed chahitees Sapna and Urvashi shows that the use of lajja for women was a premeditated thought. ðŸ¥±
Originally posted by Martand

Okay so what's so wrong in that...It is not a must for him to love doing all kind of chores...

He is not all perfect God..Only he has behaved in a much better way than all others.

What's wrong is that this proves he is egoistical. Aise logon ke muh see "modesty'," "humbleness," ki baatein bohut shallow lagte hain. If he has ego problems, then I suggest he remain that way. There is no need to preach others about being humble and accepting. 
"Lajja aurat ka gehna hai" is a phrase that has been a used by Indian societies for centuries. Most societies, by the virtue of their very existence, have been male-oriented. If you look at things from a Biblical perspective, it was the men who were supposed to the breadwinners. Women, on the other hand, were supposed to bring love to the household. Love, lajja, and other attributes of a similar kind were (and still are) highly associated with being a woman. If you were to ask me, I'd have taken it as a compliment, instead of a derogatory insult. Being miffed by peoples' statements and throwing tantrums around is a very easy thing to do. But to hold on to your dignity and self-respect in the most extenuating situations is a very hard endeavor to accomplish. I find it more respectable to be that way than being vociferous and all over the place.

I don't know about the other guys around, but I do get turned on by women who exhibit a sense of shame and modesty. For me, it adds to their style statement. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't consider a woman who is loud and obnoxious. Everyone gets a chance. It's, however, those who appeal to you the most that get the preference. Trust me, lajja isn't anything to be ashamed of;  it is a beautiful thing. I would always love a woman [my wife, to say the least] who portrays grace in her character. As again, it's such a turn on. 😊

Just my two cents worth. Thank you.