Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Indian TV Serials (Your Views) (Page 7)

vvrsun Senior Member
vvrsun
vvrsun

Posted: 19 May 2005 at 6:27am | IP Logged

Originally posted by innocentindian

actually, i think the serials are 19-20 minutes after you remove the ads...

I recorded TUMHARI DISHA yesterday to the best extent possible w/o the ads, and the serial time was about 16 minutes. I'll check Astitva on Sunday, but I've noticed earlier that it was for 15 min or less.

vvrsun Senior Member
vvrsun
vvrsun

Posted: 19 May 2005 at 6:30am | IP Logged

Why go across the border for good serials? When I was in India, I remeber avidly watching Marathi serials on our very own DD.

But then I guess you are talking about cable and the national language, but then Ekta's (or rather, Balajee Telefilms) serials made in Tamil also suck! In fact Kusum was made as ...I forget the name, but it seems to have sunk w/o a trace!

nishi IF-Dazzler
nishi
nishi

Posted: 19 May 2005 at 1:59pm | IP Logged

well before I used to watch these crappy serials of kitchen politics and glycerin factories !!!and I still do not why I did that !!!!Confused

but now after star one has arrived I am hooked to it !!!!!!!

I prefer the programmes in this channel than any !!!!!

now I watch only two dailies ie REMIX and JJKN(only for purab's glimpses) coz the former makes a lot of sense to me and the latter Wink

but I do agree that these saas bahu drama is getting over our nerves ,but majority of indian audience prefer them !!!!!!!!!so even the producers /directors cannot help it !!!!!!!! but hope sooner or later we do get some more better shows to watch

innocentindian Goldie
innocentindian
innocentindian

Posted: 19 May 2005 at 5:06pm | IP Logged

u guys think this is long for soaps!

in UK, there are soaps that have been running for like 25years - some i think even 35 yrs! shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhshhhhh

Inderuma Newbie
Inderuma
Inderuma

Posted: 19 May 2005 at 5:33pm | IP Logged

Jassi has become an annoying drama.  Un-necessarily they are prolongign it by adding lost of emotional flash back.  Legally it is a stupid situation.  How come Neena Gupta , Nandan and Purab are absent from the court scenes?  How come a murder charge has been framed without proof of a murder having been proved?  Where is the dead body? There is a legal terminology like -----corpus, which means that produce the body?

And Jassi has turned out to be a negative charachter.  She is telling all lies to Purab. She is using him and has become a sefish exploiter? 

All these Indian dramas, aim at prolonging it un-necessarily.  All these stupid dramas like Kusum, Devi, Piya Ka Ghar, started well , but then they all got lost and go on senselessly and endlessly.  Even the great director Mr. Sinha , who directed Justju and now doing Astitva got tempted to prolong his play, justju, but soon realized the follly of doing so and stopped it intime.  The same thing he is doing with Astitva and his story writers have got the clue from Idiotic Ekta Kapoor, of running with the story in all direction.  Like in Kusum every one is marrying every one. What a maze.  I wonder who do seriously watch these plays? Mr Sinha should have confidence in himsel and move on to the next play, instead of prolonging Astitva.

I have great admiration for the following dramas, which went about in a planned manner and reached a well planned conclusive culmination.  Those are , Bunyad, Mirza Ghalib, Hum Pardesi Ho Gaye and Hubahu.

It is time they cousulted some legal expert to conclude the play sensibly.

chillyflakes Senior Member
chillyflakes
chillyflakes

Posted: 20 May 2005 at 12:18am | IP Logged

There have been some rare good soaps on air, but unfortunately, the TRP's have let them down!

If anyone remembers, there was a Medical Drama called ''Dhadkan'' on Sony - it was excellent and brilliantly executed. The actors were just superb and the emotions shown were so real.

Infact, one of the most memorable serials of recent times was ''Itihaas'' made by none other than Ekta Kapoor. It was her first foray into television, even before Hum Paanch (which used to be really cute, btw) Itihaas had such a strong storyline and the protogonist was a woman who knew her mind and had no qualms of misusing & abusing her powers - but still she was the heroine of the show! Itihaas used to be aired on DD. Kundali was also pretty decent! Ekta Kapoor has made some good shows, but it is recently that she has botched up every single soap of hers. I remember when KSBKBT was aired, I used to diligently stay awake till 10.30 and do not remember missing one single episode of that serial for the first 2 years - but after Mihir's reconstruction, it really went haywire and I stopped watching it.

I think Kutumb is the only serial which followed a one track story and ended on a good note. The story line was nothing out of the ordinary but the treatment was just bang-on and ofcourse it made stars out of Hiten and Gauri, who had pitched in their career best performance for the author backed roles!

There was a rather good serial on Zee also, don't remember the name, where the protogonist is a Pakistani who falls in love with an Indian Girl unknowingly and how they fight against all opposition and get married! The guy was Aamir Bashir, he acted so well. I used to love this serial!

That way Zee is truly different when it comes to offering different stuff, but their productions values are so shoddy and the overall impact is very down-market, hence the product loses its sheen. Star and Sony is all gloss and glitter and no soul! StarOne is OK......I like Remix a lot! MTV sucks big-time and one has to just watch that horrid KMHZ to see what MTV has become. The only reason for watching MTV is both the Cyrus and Nikhil!

The best channel across all is Star World - Malcom in the Middle, Grounded for Life, Everybody Loves Raymond, King of Hearts, Friends, The Apprentice and ofcourse, my favourite Koffee with Karan - Amazing Channel, unfortunately an English one and hence not able to have a wide-spread reach!

That way DD was really superior, even though it was tacky and down-market, every serial shown on DD is still memorable. Be it Fauji, Buniyaad, Khandaan, Hum Log, Ye jo hai zindagi, Kash-m-Kash, Kashish, Farmaan, Sanjha Chulha, Darmiyaan, Circus and so many more....................

Cheers,

Chilly

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Apple_Amber

greatmaratha IF-Sizzlerz
greatmaratha
greatmaratha

Posted: 20 May 2005 at 1:00am | IP Logged
i remember Ithihaas.  That was really very beautiful, so was Hum Panch.  But when these serials were being made, Ekta Kapoor was personally in charge of the creative team and was overseeing things.  Now she has a whole team, which probably does not have the same intensity that Ekta did.   Plus now, her scripting team also keeps jumping from serial to serial, so if you had Mihir dying in Kyunki, some time later, Anurag died in Kasauti, then follwed by Kunal of Kahin Kisi Roz. 

Kutumb again was handled by Ekta and Shobha kapoor alone.  Most of Kutumb was nice and they followed the script to the T with the exception of the Anu character and the child angle which was introduced and which dragged the serial for a while, but on the whole, it was brilliant. 

Kundali, unfortunately, again had this thing about Rano liking Ram, but Ram liking her sister and marrying her instead and then when she ran away, marrying Rano for the sake of the child etc.   The basic premise of the story was borrowed from Yash Chopra's Aaina, of course, which did not have the child angle to it. 

Sarhedein, which Chilly, u r referring to, is being retelecast on Zee these days.  Nice serial...
anjali.nair IF-Rockerz
anjali.nair
anjali.nair

Posted: 20 May 2005 at 9:10am | IP Logged
I remember Itihaas. But later many characters were introduced in it and I discontinued watching. Anyone knows the ending? I loved those old shows on DD like Fauji, Yatra, Nukkad, Circus, Kashmakash, Yeh jo hai zindagi, Kashish and Swaabhimaan too.

Go to top