Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

Indian TV Serials (Your Views) (Page 4)

Morgoth IF-Rockerz
Morgoth
Morgoth

Posted: 14 May 2005 at 2:51pm | IP Logged

Excellent topic, Flash!

Well, the one thing I have to mention is that every show - be it Indian or Western - drags after a while unless backed by a proper story and efficient direction.

We are complaining about Indian soaps, but Western soaps aren't any better. If at all, India (should I say Ekta Kapoor) is now following their trend - premarital pregnancies, extramarital affairs, multiple marriages, etc.

Let me give an example: Take the sitcom Friends and subtract the comic element. What do we have? Something very much similar to what dear old Ekta is showing us via her serials isn't it?

Ekta Kapoor is blamed for everything wrong in Indian Television, yet she must be doing something right if people tune in to watch her shows day after day, isn't it?

Here is Ms. Kapoor's rather simplistic formula:

1) Take a simple, effective story - preferably a triangle which gradually evolves into bickering between daughters and mothers in law. Add in a vamp, a villain and Ram Singh the naukar and you have a commercial "family" drama.

2) Get charsimatic, good-looking and brilliant actors

3) Hook the public via the "heartthrobs" and keep them hooked through horrifying yet curiously fascinating twists involving their TV loves.

4) Make sure you have an "almost" monopoly on Cable TV so that people cannot even switch if they want to and watch the serials out of sheer boredom.

Even though many complain about the degradation of Indian Television, they continue to watch. We shouldn't be blaming the makers of TV serials. We must blame ourselves as we are the ones contributing to the ratings, the viewership and the money in their pockets at the end of the day.

As far as addiction to TV serials is concerned, we are our own worst enemies.

Edited by MysticaMagic - 14 May 2005 at 2:52pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Beyond_the_Veil

jazmine IF-Dazzler
jazmine
jazmine

Posted: 14 May 2005 at 5:00pm | IP Logged

I also agree to Chinti on both of her posts!! and what Mystica said abt

"1) Take a simple, effective story - preferably a triangle which gradually evolves into bickering between daughters and mothers in law. Add in a vamp, a villain and Ram Singh the naukar and you have a commercial "family" drama."

she normally as Ramu kaka as her Naukar!! ain Kya Bolti ke ye Sabh Paisa Ekta aur TV logo kamate hain paar humare hi Paisa Jaata hain!!

zigma Newbie
zigma
zigma

Posted: 14 May 2005 at 10:21pm | IP Logged

The streching is so much that i feel bad for watching these serials also. It seems after some time there is no story but just one thing ...how to stretch it...how to keep adding some twists and adding and adding and then taking it beyond till the point that it gets impossible to watch the show. After that the story writers wake up and start untying a few knots to get the viewers back and then again they go back on their way. I wish this should stop.There should not be more than 1 year given to any serial to atart anf finish their story and story should be approved by some panel also and if they donot finish it in 1 yr there should be some penalty.

In a movie also how many the no of twist be there but everything gets solved in a 3 hrs.

There is not even one indian serial; for which i have watched all the episodes bcoz of this  stretching.

I stopped watching JJKN last year....started again few months back.......hope to watch it till the end and hate it when they still add TWISTS.

WE SHOULD ALL STOP WATCHING WHEN THEY START STRETCHING I HATE CryI HATE THE STRETCHING

pj04 Goldie
pj04
pj04

Posted: 14 May 2005 at 11:34pm | IP Logged

i think mystica said it all...this state of shows is common all over the world.

1)indian shows are twisted dysfunctional family dramas

2)spanish/latino shows completely evolve around seductions and sex(so much so that they sometimes seem to be soft po*n)

3)most american shows are either crime oriented dramas(csi, law and order, alias, jag, ncis.......) or comedies(friends,everybody loves raymond,sex and city,.....)or medical dramas(er,grey's anatomy,strong medicine......). after a while even these shows border on ridiculousness.

there is a problem with the shows ....there is a lot of investment and hardwork that goes into producing a new show ......the show may or maynot click with the viewers despite the quality of the show.most producers do not want to take that risk and stick with the clicked show. after all it is surefire success and money. they keep dragging it and introducing new twists until the viewers get bored and there is no more juice left in the story.tis is also the logic behind the sequels and prequels in movies.

why would ekta want to produce a new show(which will require a cutting edge story,tons of promotions, search for new stars....)when she can make same amount of money with what she has on air now(ie k-soaps). similarily why would tony and deeya risk an another show when thier current show is raking in money(so what if it is boring people).interestingly you will find that the first production/show of any directors is a lot better than thier sucessive shows. guhas(tumhari disha on zee) had made "dil na jane kyon" first. with only about 60 episodes or so it was a great show with very well dealt story. thier next show mansha started very well but lost its way after few months(it ended thankfully very soon).thier latest creation also started well but as the show neared its logical end, several ekta like twist were introduced to prolong it.it is a similar case with ajay sinha(astitva), tony/deeya(jjkn).

meme_ma Groupbie
meme_ma
meme_ma

Posted: 14 May 2005 at 11:53pm | IP Logged
I think I have figured out why the serials are interesting to begin with-because they start with a story that was probably going to go on for about 13-26 episodes or whatever length they have in mind.This is when it is really fun and interesting and you start loving it.Instead of sticking with the story they have to lenghten it as it is popular and so then it gets stupid,lengthy and nonsensicalas they no longer have a script.
They come in the morning and perhaps have this discussion

Director"its going well, so we need to do more episodes and change it a little"
Writer"Hmm, we could actually kill an interesting character or make hin disappear and then show how the serial suffers because of it and then because it was an interesting character, we could reintrodule him and so that will probably lengthen the episode by at least 25 weeks"
Producer(Ekta kapoorWink)"Thats great.Maybe we can then have a second wife that he had when he disappeared in an accident(to give the show another 25 episodes and then we shall what twist to give it before we go back to the serial"

Everybody shakes hands on it and then the disaster begins.
It happens in almost each serial
Kyunki Saas bhi... where mihir disappears
PKG-where first rimjhim disappears and then Avinash loses his memory(double whammy)
Astitva-where they lose their child and Abhi disappears.
TBJK- where Aryan dies and comes back
TD- Unfortunately in this one the character regains memory and creates drama but the same principal
and it goes back if you care to think
That serial about college students which tony and Deeya singh made in which madhavan acted(i think it was banegi apni baat- they had illegitimate children and people fallin in love with the same person and all that nonsense.

I almost think if we really enjoy a serial it is going to go downhill.So the secret to a short serial is its unpopularity.

Edited by meme_ma - 14 May 2005 at 11:54pm
nikkitherealist Goldie
nikkitherealist
nikkitherealist

Posted: 15 May 2005 at 9:19am | IP Logged
I agree with you all. The serials start well but descend into crap very rapidly.

I don't believe how the makers are allowed to flaunt the law, sanctity of marriage and love. And let's not forget all the kasams that are taken.
My pet hates are time leaps and babies. Once they appear I know it's time to switch off.
Well I have now started subscribing to only one channel because there really is no difference between the lot.
queen-bee Goldie
queen-bee
queen-bee

Posted: 15 May 2005 at 10:42am | IP Logged

Well this debate is going on quite well..................Someone has mentioned why we still watch this crappy stuff when we know it is not going to do any good to us. I'd like to give my 2 cents opinion on that.

Understood that these soaps give us insecurity and self doubts that shed our hearts and make our eyes well up with tears. We all agree that at some point, even good soaps, now-a-days become litany of errors! Full of all sorts of madness! Initially they start off to personify romantic rebellion and bravado, but often get mixed up and then, things go wrong in a majestic fashion! We live in a world of multiple choices. We are guided by reason, facts and evidence, then why do we watch this nonsensical tale which gives us a sense of ennui!

Well, in our daily life we are called upon to play many parts in the multitasking and multimodal lives many of us lead. We are quite tired of the ever-accelerating pace of life, on planet earth, so we just watch TV, which has now walked into our living room, for handsome hunks and lovely prima donnas! I for one watch the world of fantasy with a flexible mind!! People who have no stomach for all this melodrama can find something else to tickle their fancy!They can watch endless car-chases & graphic violence! Soap makers or fantasy land people are not telling us to turn our backs on truth and chase mirages!!

By having these discussion forums we get to know people from all over the world. We rant and chant with them and now that serial's creative heads have started visiting us probably they'll get our message and try to make amends!! Hope this post serves as enlightenment for them (serial makers!).

Edited by mink - 15 May 2005 at 11:39am
ronit_dream Goldie
ronit_dream
ronit_dream

Posted: 15 May 2005 at 11:49am | IP Logged

Hi,

I think most of the serials were nice in the beginning, but they get deteriorated somewhere down the line. Most of the serials are bad.

I keep watching reruns of american sitcoms like Friends, Full House, etc. Also,I watch Star One. It is a new channel and it has fresh concepts like Remix, Sarabhai, Special Squad, Guns n Roses, hotel Kingston, Khichdi etc. These shows are different and nice. Zoom Tv is nice too.

Apart from that, I watch all shows featuring Ronit Roy-no matter how crappy the story is Big smile

Go to top