Mythological Masti

difference btwn valmiki ramayan n tulsidas - Note Pg4 (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 4

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 4
Page 4 Page 4

Stalwart.

Goldie

Stalwart.

Posted: 14 November 2012 at 9:08am | IP Logged
@NAMRATA I AGREE WITH YOU...

DIFFERENT VERSIONS ARE EXISTING TODAY...

MODIFICATIONS WERE MADE...I GUESS...ACCORDING TO THEIR TIMES...SOCIAL CONDITIONS ETC.

BUT I THINK THE RAMAYAN WHICH OCCURED...IN REALITY...WAS FOR THE HUMANITY...

THOUGH STARTING FROM SCHOLARLY VERSIONS TO TRIBAL VERSIONS HAVE MANY OTHER STORIES THEY SHOLDN'T BE MIXED WITH THE ORIGINAL TEXT...

THEY MAY HAVE SOME MORAL AT THE END...BUT TAMPERING ORIGINAL SCRIPTURES IS NOT GOOD...SINCE LORD RAM IS NOT A MYTH HE IS THE TRUTH AND EXISTED IN REALITY...RAMAYAN HAPPENED TRUELY...

WE SHOULD HAVE RESPECT ON HIM AND HIS LEGEND...

NOT ONLY RAM ANY OTHER HUMAN DEITY...

PITY ON OURSELVES THAT WE SOMETIMES INSTEAD OF MODIFYING OURSELVES ACCORDING TO THE BASE...RAMAYAN(IT IS SAID JEEVAN KA AADHAR) WE ARE MODIFYING THE VERSION ACCORDING TO US...

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "difference btwn valmiki ramayan n tulsidas - Note Pg4 (Page 3)" in Mythological Masti forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

eyeofnewt

eyeofnewt

Posted: 14 November 2012 at 9:32pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Krishni51

MODIFICATIONS WERE MADE...I GUESS...ACCORDING TO THEIR TIMES...SOCIAL CONDITIONS ETC.

Actually, much of the variance in the many versions in the Ramayan is because it was not written but rather passed down orally by brahmins and story telling bards (kathaks or kathakars). Naturally modifications occurred along the way, just like a game of telephone.  Some folks deliberately enhanced scenes for added dramatic flair, while others still may have tempered the story to suit their own taste.  Moreover, regional cultural variations ocurred as the story spread from one end of the Subcontinent to the other, and then eventually to South East Asia.

There is a scholarly compendium called Many Ramayanas which I read many years ago which is available to read for free online. I suggest you take a look at it: http://publishing.cdlib.org/ucpressebooks/view?docId=ft3j49n8h7&brand=ucpress

Edited by eyeofnewt - 14 November 2012 at 9:31pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

bhakti2.Vrish.

Stalwart.

Goldie

Stalwart.

Posted: 15 November 2012 at 6:12am | IP Logged
Originally posted by eyeofnewt

Originally posted by Krishni51

Actually, much of the variance in the many versions in the Ramayan is because it was not written but rather passed down orally by brahmins and story telling bards (kathaks or kathakars). Naturally modifications occurred along the way, just like a game of telephone.  Some folks deliberately enhanced scenes for added dramatic flair, while others still may have tempered the story to suit their own taste.  Moreover, regional cultural variations ocurred as the story spread from one end of the Subcontinent to the other, and then eventually to South East Asia.

There is a scholarly compendium called Many Ramayanas which I read many years ago which is available to read for free online. I suggest you take a look at it: http://publishing.cdlib.org/ucpressebooks/view?docId=ft3j49n8h7&brand=ucpress

yes I agree with you...but along with those you mentioned(I feel all of them as exact reasonsSmile)deliberate alterations were also made I guess according to their sentiments...though some of them are not recorded they pass on as some coommonly used sayings...

I will refer to the compendium...thanks for providing the link!Embarrassed

Edited by Krishni51 - 15 November 2012 at 6:11am

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 15 November 2012 at 10:35pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by namrata1111

thansk to everyone for replying.

healthy discussion is always great to gain knowledge.

anyway, there is no doubt that ram woshipped shiv in rameshwaram is not there in valmiki rmayan.

there was no concept of idol worship in those times. it was started by jains.

Even if Lord Ram had worshiped Shiva at Rameshwaram, it would have been in the form of a Linga.  The Linga is not exactly an idol- and the practice of representing Shiva in the form of Linga existed even before the Treta Yuga - you can find it mentioned in several Puranas. 

And I thought the Jainism specifically condemned idol worship- or is it Buddhism? 

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 15 November 2012 at 10:49pm | IP Logged

this story is not there in valmiki ramayan.which is considered the orginal story of shri ram.
the history of idol worship is also new.this story was created latr after the invention of idol worship.

all others give your views on this story please

namrata1111,

Just because a story that Lord Rama worshiped Shiva or Durga appears, it doesn't necessarily have to mean that the story is false because it involves idol worship.

As you must be knowing, it is not necessary to have idols / images / pictures to offer worship. Even today, if one were to follow the rituals strictly, the deity (who is going to be worshiped) is first invoked in a suitable medium. For example, if you were to do a Vishnu Puja, you would have to ceremoniously invoke Vishnu in a Saligram ( a kind of black colored stone). Similarly, for the worship of Shiva, Sphatikam / Lingam is used to invoke the God.

If it is said that  Rama worshiped Durga, he would have most certainly used the Sri Chakra Yantra to propitiate Her. 

And since you have quoted the Shatpath Brahmana in one of your other posts, you would be knowing that Agni can be used to invoke almost any God.

Idols are not the only way to offer worship. Hence, to doubt the authenticity of such incidents based on a misguided logic that idol worship was absent in those days, is - IMO, being rather narrow minded

Edited by varaali - 16 November 2012 at 1:15am

bhakti2.Vrish.

namrata1111

Posted: 16 November 2012 at 4:58am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

namrata1111

Posted: 16 November 2012 at 5:05am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

varaali

IF-Dazzler

varaali

Posted: 16 November 2012 at 6:21am | IP Logged
My replies  in Red

original name of shiv linga is jyotirlinga.  jyoti means flame linga means symbol in sanskrit.

No, it is not. Not all shiva lingas can be termed as Jyotirlings. And as far as the translation of the terms go, I think I know my Sanskrit. 

u can find many vulgar verses in purans.

Depends from which perspective you are looking at. 

geeta press does not publishes full version of some purans just becoz of these vulgar verses.

Can you give a example?

jains n budhist r idol worshippers.muslim worship a black stone in kaba which was a shiv temple earlier.

agni is the first word of rigveda. the sanskrit word agni does not only means fire. it also means one who enlightens.

There are many ways to interpret Sanskrit words- etymologically, phonetically, contextually...I did not mention anything about the meaning of agni. All I said was that If Lord Rama had to worship Shiva or Durga (which you contested, saying that it would not have been possible since there was no idol worship then) , he could have done it by lighting the sacred fire.

bhakti2lola610

Post Reply New Post

Go to top