Debate Mansion

Did anyone grow up with abusive Indian parents ? (Page 5)

Post Reply New Post

Page 5 of 6

Page 1 Page 4
Page   of 6
Page 6 Page 6

Loving2011

Loving2011

Posted: 15 November 2012 at 5:12pm | IP Logged

I was told not to date or marry non-Indian men ,because they are apparently man-wh**es with no morals that cheat and dump their women after a few months of dating.     What's funny is that I've seen South Asian men AND women that do this too, so I can't relate to the idea of goras being sex-crazed and loose.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Did anyone grow up with abusive Indian parents ? (Page 5)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

tulipbaby53

IF-Stunnerz

tulipbaby53

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 15 November 2012 at 5:19pm | IP Logged
Yes, and we have seen the reverse. We can't do anything to change some people's narrow thinking. We can only change ourselves, and hope we don't create a new generation with the same thinking.

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 16 November 2012 at 2:05am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Loving2011

Originally posted by Beyond_the_Veil

My parents and family members are very conservative (at least as per my own ultra-liberal mindset), however, they are far from abusive!!

There's a difference between being conservative and abusive. 

Whenever I would try to tell someone what was going on in my house, I was told that my parents are just typical Indian parents that want the best for me.    People ask me why I didn't tell anyone what was going in my home. I tried to tell people, but nobody would listen.

I'm not going to be surprised if someone on here thinks I'm lying.  I read another thread where people couldn't believe that an Indian father could rape or molest his daughter, which is what my dad did.   I don't think that's helpful towards me in anyway.

Strange to know that the mother can't help daughters... If somebody is wrong he is wrong by all means.. like this case increasing daily, young girls (and many a times boys) are sexually abused by bothers, friends, neighbors, teachers, doctors and by their own parents. If father can do this to his own daughters and mother becomes a silent spectator, whom do they turn to for help?!!!Ouch

Generaly first 20/25 years,I have never seen a single parent who is soo happy about their children...they try to whole effort is to fulfill their ambitions through the child... The problem people simply go on becoming fathers and mothers not knowing what they are doing...If the child is afraid of the parent, love is not possible... If the parent is afraid of the child, love is not possible... How can u love and respect in fear...every child need privacy, they need freedom and to give birth to a child is nothing great,every animal doing that...Bt to be a parent is something extraordinary... very few people are really capable of being good parents..Smile

Todays Genx : "omg my parents never let me have nything." via iPhone... I Respect & love my parents and their support being free/stupid/crazy/handsome/smart/to learn many things in life... They made it through high school without any google or wikipedia or mobile or internet...   Big smile

Forever-KA

IF-Rockerz

Forever-KA

Posted: 16 November 2012 at 7:11am | IP Logged
Originally posted by tulipbaby53

Even in my family though, a Hindu being with a Muslim is still considered "bad". I don't know why though. I told my mom once how I was dating a Muslim, and she had a fit. I didn't see what I was doing wrong, but she did not like it at all. Even my family in India do not like Muslims at all. I know there's frictions between the people, but I didn't think that the thinking would carry here to America too. 

This is troubling. lol. Maybe you over stated the problem. lol. Anyway I appreciate your honesty.

First let me accept that this is true among many Muslims as well i.e. they look down at Hindus. It is not religion related but just due to past experiences perhaps. I am therefore not picking on Hindus/your family for behaving in such manner. Now to my main point.

My point is that while this is one extreme however we should not use such extremist mindest and then over correct ourselves so that we end up at the other extreme. That is what I am noticing here with criticism of people back in sub-continent.

Each individual has right to date/marry/like/love/interact/befriend/romance/dance/take a chance with anyone they want as long as it is not on gun point  i.e. with mutual agreement. lol. However this does not mean we start demeaning all those who prefer doing all that among their own i.e. people with traits similar to them. It is not always based on hate or dislike of other. The example I will provide is presence of such issues within one religion. Their it is culture based. Even inter-ethnic marriages are an issue in Pakistan and I am sure in India as well. These days its better but I know people are not comfortable outside. Same country, same religion but still issues. Do they hate each other? No.

So lets not over correct. Lets not get over board with praises for west etc. Even here majority is still not what you guys are painting. Maybe on surface they present an act but when push comes to shove they behave in same manner. They vote on racial lines also and present election is clear example.

We should lower our expectation and stop searching for perfection. There is no such thing as integration. There is a false start when we were not made the same lol. Please please do not think I am a negative person by nature. I know love conquers all type posts are more appealing but I am trying to get to an optimal and practical point.

The point is appreciate differences, not judge people if they are uncomfortable outside of their zone but do epect a postive behavior and not hate/dislike and thats enough. There is never going to be a perfect answer. This is what I have as of today i.e. 16th November, 2012. lol.

Edited by King-Anu - 16 November 2012 at 7:20am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

tulipbaby53

tulipbaby53

IF-Stunnerz

tulipbaby53

BollyCurry Buzzer

Posted: 16 November 2012 at 8:56am | IP Logged
I wasn't trying to offend anyone, but this just what I observe with certain relatives when I visit in India. Also, with comments my mom makes too. I feel like though from their comments they just have trust issues due to previous experiences they went through, their parents, and grandparents went through. I feel like though, it is the same for Muslims that are uncomfortable with Hindus too.

My dad has a very different thinking about people. He and I both try to see people on an individual level rather than trying to judge people as a whole. Also, there are a lot of people in my family here and even in India that are more openminded about Hindu-Muslim marriages and friendships and interracial marriages in general. I think eventually the apprehensions between both Hindus and Muslims will fade with time. The current generation (as a majority) does not care about interracial marriages and alliances. As they age and have children, they will change the negative thinking that is still strong even as of today.

I believe in, "One World, One Race, One People", but I do not know if this is achievable. I just know that I will not ever stop my future children from loving whoever they want, and I won't stop myself either. 

Forever-KA

Forever-KA

IF-Rockerz

Forever-KA

Posted: 16 November 2012 at 11:23am | IP Logged
And you did not offend. lol. 

My post was about how should we see those who are not positive like you and does not necessarily practice "one world, one race, one people" in life. My take was as long as they do not base it on dislike and hate then them wanting relationships among their own is fine with me. I think in this group lies the majority of people. They do it for many reasons other than hate/dislike of others.

That was my only point.  

tulipbaby53

Loving2011

Loving2011

Posted: 16 November 2012 at 11:35am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Prometeus

Originally posted by Loving2011

Originally posted by Beyond_the_Veil

My parents and family members are very conservative (at least as per my own ultra-liberal mindset), however, they are far from abusive!!

There's a difference between being conservative and abusive. 

Whenever I would try to tell someone what was going on in my house, I was told that my parents are just typical Indian parents that want the best for me.    People ask me why I didn't tell anyone what was going in my home. I tried to tell people, but nobody would listen.

I'm not going to be surprised if someone on here thinks I'm lying.  I read another thread where people couldn't believe that an Indian father could rape or molest his daughter, which is what my dad did.   I don't think that's helpful towards me in anyway.

Strange to know that the mother can't help daughters... If somebody is wrong he is wrong by all means.. like this case increasing daily, young girls (and many a times boys) are sexually abused by bothers, friends, neighbors, teachers, doctors and by their own parents. If father can do this to his own daughters and mother becomes a silent spectator, whom do they turn to for help?!!!Ouch

The only reason I can think of is that my mom has been so conditioned to feel that women are second-class citizens and that Indian men are gods no matter what they do.  Not only does my mom minimize my dad's behavior, but she has had a history of minimizing sexually inappropriate behavior from other Indian men. When it comes to white and black men, she's the first one to say that they're rapists or that they're going to do something bad to me.  

Edited by Loving2011 - 16 November 2012 at 11:38am

Loving2011

Loving2011

Posted: 16 November 2012 at 12:41pm | IP Logged
Speaking on marrying who you want to marry, my friend just posted a krishna consciousness quote on her facebook.
" A husband and wife means there will be some sort of bonding, loving caring relationship. Otherwise there is no meaning to married life. It just feels as if some strangers are living in the same house. "
It's interesting how some people encourage a loveless marriage to please society, when you can find religious quotes mention the importance of a man and woman developing a bond.  The above quote is correct.My parents want me to get an arranged marriage to the man that they want, but I have explained to them that it may be like two strangers living in the same house.  It's also going to hurt a man's feelings if I tell him "I'm not attracted to you. I only married you to please my parents." I know I would be upset if a man told me that!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top