Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Loving2011 thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
King Anu-Yes, I know I shouldn't generalize. But, I'm sorry to inform you that my Indian ex is NOT the only Indian man I've met with archaic views towards women and sex.  Choosing to date outside of the Indian community is also another sensitive topic, so I will not go further into why I've made that decision.

Considering that I know many incest survivors with understanding husbands, I don't think it's necessary to keep it a secret.  In my life, it just so happens that the people that accept me as I am and don't judge me happen to be people that aren't South Asian.   It's human nature to go towards those that treat you well and are positive. ;)

Edited by Loving2011 - 11 years ago
tulipbaby53 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
You are a brave girl for coming on an open forum and talking about an issues in your life that most people are highly uncomfortable to talk about. In this age of modern technology, it's good that you chose to come out and express yourself here when you could not find the right people to talk to in your real, everyday life (Indian-wise). Even though most people are not comfortable talking about such things on the web, your story might encourage someone else that they have the strength to get out of their situation, and they will make it out.

I do not think that you have anything to be ashamed about because YOU did not do anything wrong. The wrong-doer will pay for his sins in good time. 

I'm proud that you are living away from your parents because it seems to me that your mom is too bound and dependent to your father to really be able to support you. I don't think you should completely break ties with her though. She might need your help and support to get out too. (I don't know yours or her situation though, so I cannot judge that.)

I know you said you have met many Indian men, and they all treat say the same thing about being with your parents and being uncomfortable with your father raping you. Trust me, not all men (even Indian) think like that, but you do not have to force yourself to be around them if right now you do not want to. I just want you to know that there are different kinds of people everywhere.

You may want to join a women's group therapy session for women who have been sexually abused. You can help them cope, and they will help you cope too. If anything, your strength could inspire them and encourage you. 

Sometimes to get what we need, we have to take the path of loneliness, but that doesn't have to mean we have to feel completely alone.
Forever-KA thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
Originally posted by: Loving2011

King Anu-Yes, I know I shouldn't generalize. But, I'm sorry to inform you that my Indian ex is NOT the only Indian man I've met with archaic views towards women and sex.  Choosing to date outside of the Indian community is also another sensitive topic, so I will not go further into why I've made that decision.

Considering that I know many incest survivors with understanding husbands, I don't think it's necessary to keep it a secret.  In my life, it just so happens that the people that accept me as I am and don't judge me happen to be people that aren't South Asian.   It's human nature to go towards those that treat you well and are positive. ;)

The archaic view thing is subjective. People have accused me of that as well (though i disagree lol). However this is not about that. It is about tolerating an abuse and blaming the victim. There are no two opinions when it comes to that.

South Asians tend to be more emotional and therefore judgemental and get personal also. Westerners do not get personal much. I agree. Then again you wont find shahrukh spreading arms and singing challa in western society lol. So in the end it evens out.

You are a brave girl. Whats improtant is that you are happy with what you are doing. The rest does not matter.
Edited by King-Anu - 11 years ago
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6

I've been fortunate to never have abusive people in my life.

Abuse can be a very subjective thing though. Culturally, desi families have a very different perspective on love, discipline and family. My parents did smack me a couple of times. When I misbehaved or did poorly in exams, they sometimes used harsh words like stupid, hopeless, would amount to nothing. I did spend a lot of time crying and depressed after argument with parents. Similarly my grandmother used to hit my dad with a belt sometimes. My dad still loves his mom a lot, and everyone thinks she is really a sweet and caring lady. Many westerners would be shocked at these forms of discipline and label it "abuse", but we are a product of our cultures. Yes, some forms of discipline used by our families are not right, but they don't do it to be abusive, they simply don't know better. And yes even if a parent may smack children, be verbally harsh – they can still unconditionally love their children. Times are changing and even Indian parents are changing, but culturally the desi perspective on love, discipline and family will be very different.

That being said , I'm sorry to hear that you have had an abusive family. I honestly don't know what to say or do in such a situation. I've not come across too many people in such situations. As someone mentioned earlier, I doubt you will find someone on IF who will discuss their families. Unless someone is a very close friend, I don't discuss my family and personal life. With something as sensitive and personal as abuse, I doubt people will have the courage to share it with strangers. You should seek help though. Most western countries have NGO's that specifically work with victims of abuse. Even India has several such NGO's now. They can help you connect with other victims and support groups to share your experience. That might be a more legitimate and safer way to find and connect with Indians who have suffered abuse.

Loving2011 thumbnail
Despite being Indian or not, most abusive parents say that they love their children and will do nice things for them. It's a myth that an abuser is mean 100% of the time. There are many times where they are loving and positive, which is called the honeymoon phase.  Most abusers are in denial of their actions when confronted. 

I would like a partner that identifies with the Western definition of a healthy relationship. I can't be with a man that calls me and my kids stupid, hopeless, hits, forces,  and then justifies his behavior in the name of culture.    If someone else is okay with that kind of a relationship, then good for them.  But, that situation isn't for me. 
Pirated_Fun thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
a VERY SENSITIVE TOPIC
 in a way i can relate to u ..No i was not physically abused or anything,But my parents have certain issues with themselves and they always involve me in their fights since childhood ..My father never gave me time ,so he doesn't understand me and my mother has serious psychological issues , though both love me , But my personality is entirely different than them ..SOMEHOW i feel isolated , I am in final year of my masters ..I might leave my city ,but these two people with their issues ruined my childhood ..I will never forgive them for that .
Always remember ,You
 came in world alone , you will leave alone ..No one is more important than yourself ..Just because they are parents ..they are not GOD .In ur case certainly not...
Loving2011 thumbnail
Originally posted by: XVIRUS

a VERY SENSITIVE TOPIC
 in a way i can relate to u ..No i was not physically abused or anything,But my parents have certain issues with themselves and they always involve me in their fights since childhood ..My father never gave me time ,so he doesn't understand me and my mother has serious psychological issues , though both love me , But my personality is entirely different than them ..SOMEHOW i feel isolated , I am in final year of my masters ..I might leave my city ,but these two people with their issues ruined my childhood ..I will never forgive them for that .
Always remember ,You
 came in world alone , you will leave alone ..No one is more important than yourself ..Just because they are parents ..they are not GOD .In ur case certainly not...

Sorry to hear that and glad to hear that you are staying strong, and focusing on your career.

I have written forgiveness letters to my parents (for my own self), but it can take awhile to process. If I don't forgive, I will have a hard time attracting a loving partner. Not forgiving is like carrying a bag of bones, but you have the right to handle them as you wish.

I only started this topic just to see how common my experience was, but everyone is right that it's a delicate thing for people to talk about.  The ones with the most dysfunctional families probably won't come forward!
--arti-- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
What you have gone through is really difficult, and I really applaud you for having the courage to survive, acknowledge it, and openly talk about it. I don't think you "need counselling" or anything like that, and I hope you never let anyone condescend to you or blame you for anything.

I think there are a lot of other women like you, who are courageous and who deal with abusive situations in their own way. In your situation, you had the ability to get out of a toxic home, and that is amazing. There might be others who cannot, especially for financial reasons, and they might need other strategies to deal with their situations.

It goes without saying that gendered forms of violence, including sexual abuse, goes in in a lot of communities all over the world. It is not unique to any one ethnicity or society. Unless we are willing to examine the root causes, which include social norms that perpetuate sexism and predatory sexual behaviour, we are not going to be able to deal with social solutions to the problem. I think sometimes we need individual solutions too, but social solutions are about long-term ways of dealing with things collectively rather than in our own isolated bubbles. Women who have been subject to abuse are often in worse situations because of the isolation. It sounds like you went through a lot of that isolation, and that must have been painful too.

I have not been through what you have been through, but when I was a young child, a somewhat distant male relative sexually abused me. At the time I remember feeling very confused and troubled, and definitely bullied by this person. It made me feel weak. For years I felt ashamed and guilty, as if it was my fault, even though I objectively know it was not. It took a long time to get out of that isolation and find the courage to speak to others about it. When I finally opened up about it to other women in my family, they shared their own stories of sexual abuse by relatives or family friends/neighbours. It was really sad to think we had all been through something so horrific, but were silenced into not talking about it with one another and having a strong support network.

You've already seen that there is a lot of silence. I think the best we can do is talk, and put it out there, just like what you have done. I still can't talk about what happened with me with my male family members, including my father. I don't know why. It's like a part of me still feels embarrassed. But another part of it is the obvious sexist values that I know a lot of the men in my family hold.

But I got a lot of support from the women I spoke to, and my mom and sister both fully supported me and cut off all ties with this relative. My significant other shares my feminist values/politics, and that really helped me open up to him about it. He has been really supportive too. I think along the way, we find people who will be in solidarity with us, most importantly, with the kind of world that we want. Those people are out there too, trust me.
--arti-- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 2
I think another thing that helps is to do what we can to raise awareness about rape in general.

There are a lot of people out there who still think that rape is a woman's fault, and that's part of the reason why we internalize blame sometimes. This has a lot to do with the stigma and shaming you experienced from your mother and your ex. Rape is about power, and nothing else.

We have to be able to call out messed up advice that women are always given about how not to get raped. Have this bookmarked:
http://www.ebony.com/news-views/stop-telling-women-how-to-not-get-raped

[quote]We need anti-rape campaigns that target young men and boys.  Campaigns that teach them from a young age how to respect women, and ultimately themselves, and to never ever be rapists.  In addition, we should implore our men and boys to call out their friends, relatives, and classmates for inappropriate behavior and create systems of accountability amongst them.[/quote] Edited by --arti-- - 11 years ago
kavyasam thumbnail
I had something similar to say as @Dr3vil
@TM - Your mother asking you not to talk about this to anyone is not in your interest but her own, she is guilty that she could not protect you
from the abuse and is scared to face such questions from people. Your abuser is sick, you were an easy and innocent target. You might forgive them but they will never be able to forgive themselves. even though that is not punishment enough.
They do not define any culture at all. They could have been victims or harsh punishment. In India while there are people who beat their kids it is not for everyone. My parents are very loving and protective. My aunt  would hit and be verbally abusive to her kids . It stemmed from her unhappy life. But sexual abuse from a parent is very rare.

Despite the ill treatment you have emerged a positive and courageous person, that speaks a lot about your personality. that is your power now. You can shun all the negative people and the guys who said it is ok.  Get back at your abusers by being successful in your career and life.  More power to you. All the best.
Edited by kavyasam - 11 years ago