Punar Vivah

Are children allowed to donate bone marrow?

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 4

Page 1
Page   of 4
Page 2 Page 4

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 23 October 2012 at 4:30pm | IP Logged
I was just wondering while watching the show...are small children like Ansh allowed to donate bone marrow?Confused It's a very risky procedure for children, isn't it?

How the hell could Mr. Dubey want to risk his grandson's life for his son?Angry I can understand parental concern, but there's a limit to selfishness! How could Mr. Dubey be willing to risk poor Ansh's health just so his son could live? Even Ansh is his flesh and blood, right?Ouch

The following 16 member(s) liked the above post:

ketki61Raleighbcatmartalindanirmalac99jayshu17Kittya_CullenPriyasiAnushaGKkholitalulujjjj--Iqra--Abby-GC-CrazygcluvSaiSgafulu14Angel_Luv

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Are children allowed to donate bone marrow?" in Punar Vivah forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Kittya_Cullen

IF-Dazzler

Kittya_Cullen

Posted: 23 October 2012 at 4:58pm | IP Logged
Reposting from DC:

@Janaki: I have been thinking about it all day today. Total and utter rubbish. Ansh is approximately 5-6 years old.  Just testing bone marrow is an extremely painful process, much less an actual withdrawal, and there are nosocomial infections, heart failure if the anaesthesiologist doesn't get the dosage right, Ansh having some pre-existing condition that was never known and creates complications on the day. At least somebody think about the child himself? Does anyone in this show think about these three children properly?Dead 

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

RaleighbcatmartalindaALUJNA21ash91lulujjjj--Iqra--..RamKiJanaki..

spatel310

spatel310

Posted: 23 October 2012 at 5:20pm | IP Logged
Yes, it's possible for children to donate but done only if absolutely needed and usually for siblings and not for Parents (not adequate match). 

The typical age for BMT is between 18 and 44. BMT is a surgical procedure done under anesthesia and the patient has to go through a physical exam and a battery of tests prior to donation. 

The flaw with this current track is that BMT is used for patients treated with high dose chemotherapy for leukemia or lymphoma and sometimes neuroblastoma and multiple myeloma but not for Gastric Cancer (as diagnosed in Prashant). 

A very touching story below regarding a child being a bone marrow donor: 

http://today.msnbc.msn.com/id/43265160/ns/today-good_news/t/born-save-sisters-life-shes-glad-i-am-family/#.UIchAsXBhuk

Edited by spatel310 - 23 October 2012 at 5:21pm

The following 9 member(s) liked the above post:

jayshu17Kittya_Cullenash91lulujjjj--Iqra--Abby-GC-CrazySaiSilovepyaar..RamKiJanaki..

Abby-GC-Crazy

IF-Sizzlerz

Abby-GC-Crazy

Posted: 23 October 2012 at 5:28pm | IP Logged
@Spatel
umm... the flaw must be there or something..
but according to the show, doctors didnt rlly specify that it was gastric cancer... it was just the articles hu had said that...
sooo.. umm... it can be a correct treatment from a view also... though yes, it should have been mentioned that what kind of cancer does Prashant have

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

lulujjjj..RamKiJanaki..

SoShy

Goldie

SoShy

Posted: 23 October 2012 at 5:35pm | IP Logged
Yes, I wondered about that.
Ansh is really little for that... 

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Raleighbcatlulujjjj..RamKiJanaki..

gafulu14

IF-Stunnerz

gafulu14

Posted: 23 October 2012 at 5:37pm | IP Logged
agree

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

lulujjjj..RamKiJanaki..

delhigirl

IF-Dazzler

delhigirl

Posted: 23 October 2012 at 5:40pm | IP Logged
Children can donate bone marrow but generally we do not use children for adults. For any stem cell transplant for adults, we collect stem cells from the donor. However for any adult needing bone marrow transplant certain number of stem cells need to be collected for transplant to be successful. Children can be used as donors under strict criteria. Usually it is only for siblings and extremely rarely under select situations can be used for adults but only if they are a full match. So a minor cannot be used to donate to a parent as they are only half match.
The American academy of pediatrics believes it is ethically permissible for minors to participate as donors if 5 criteria are fulfilled. The criteria are: (1) there is no medically equivalent histocompatible adult relative who is willing and able to donate; 
(2) there is a strong personal and emotionally positive relationship between the donor and recipient
(3) there is some likelihood that the recipient will benefit from transplantation; 
(4) the clinical, emotional, and psychosocial risks to the donor are minimized and are reasonable in relation to the benefits expected to accrue to the donor and to the recipient; and 
(5) parental permission and, where appropriate, child assent have been obtained. 

In case of prashant, Ansh cannot be used as a donor because he is a minor and only half match. He will be less of a choice than even prashant's parents since all three are half match to prashant. Plus the main fact is that there has never been strong relationship between ansh and prashant. I do not know if India has any rules like that as in US but I am sure almost all cancer doctors in india will likely not consider Ansh for donor.

Also today Stem cell collection has become much more advanced than olden times. it is not just done in an OR under anesthesia but now can be done by a line placed in someone and collect it under the effect of certain injections

I hope this makes it easier 

Edited by delhigirl - 23 October 2012 at 5:41pm

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

RaleighbcatALUJNA21Kittya_Cullenkholitalulujjjj..RamKiJanaki..

akui1984

IF-Rockerz

akui1984

Posted: 23 October 2012 at 5:42pm | IP Logged
I think can...does anyone read my sister's keeper?? or watch the movie??? the other sister was born to donate the bone marrow for her sister...

well...I think sometimes when faced with death, u really wanna make sure that u have tried all your best to save ya child...n not regret the what u have not done...

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

ana1kholitalulujjjj..RamKiJanaki..

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.