Fan Fictions

For a Reader to Digest- part2 page11 - Page 10

aura9 thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Fascinator 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
This content was originally posted by: V323

I am honoured that so many of you have contributed so much to this topic. I really appreciate the time you take out to muse, and offer your valuable opinion.

However, there is one clarification I want to make, before we move one. I HAVE NOT MADE THIS POST TO GIVE READERS A MANUAL.

This post was created with intent to help readers and writers establish a better relationship. Not only does that help the writer grow in terms of their writing, the fact that the readers pay attention to these little things... it will help the readers enjoy the story more. All readers are special... and all readers are amazing. The fact that you have read my story... THANK YOU. You have liked it. A bigger thank you, for letting me know that it isn't as bad as I feared. You have found my story worth commenting. Take all my love. As much as you want.

Now that part is clarified... here it is-

The Relationship between a Reader and a Character

The relationship between a reader and a character is very important. And by a relationship, I mean of both kinds. Positive and negative.

Every character speaks differently to different people. For instance, a character like Khushi may be liked by people who respect her for holding onto her beliefs about Devi Maiyya and the same trait in Khushi may not appeal somebody. That is fine. Your opinion is different from what the writer has imagined. That is COMPLETELY okay.

I will give an example... not related to reading a story. I am sure all of you are aware of people killing off the female foetus? That idea to me is barbaric. It is beyond my comprehension. I do not understand the point of killing off a child even before it is born. Just because it is a girl. However, it is happening out there. There are cases where women are forced to abort their children... but I digress. The point of the example snippet was to let you know, that in some stories, there will be certain traits in a character you may not relate to. You may not understand. That is fine. The writer writes a character based on what they are seeing. So if you read a story with characters... with certain qualities you do not understand, that is completely fine. I repeat, it is alright to have different opinions. Characters, in a way, are human too. And try as you might, you cannot like everybody.

It is okay to have different opinion about a character. But, to enjoy a story, you will have to read... and let the character speak to you.

V says:

I say that having a different opinion from that of others about a certain character is alright, because I have done it. I will give you an example snippet. I am sure most, if not all, may have heard of arisai (She is the BAWS, just by the way B|) and her FF- Tainted? Payal is characterized as a highly selfish being in the particular story. All her readers hated her (Payal, I mean), but I disagreed. If this were a post glorifying the story, I would have gone on and on as to why I disagreed and why I love reading that story... and why do I find it so intriguing, but seeing as in this particular post that would clarify as digressing, I will move on.

Having a difference in opinion from that of the rest of the readers and the author is perfectly, absolutely fine. In my dictionary.

The way I see it, as long as you haven't plagiarized... or haven't misunderstood something... it is perfectly okay. [For example- suppose I was talking about Anjali, and I suddenly started talking about Arnav kissing 'her'... but I haven't mentioned who it was. I wouldn't want you to assume that Arnav was kissing Anjali, now would I?] A story is welcome for different interpretations.

The way I see it, if I am a human, my readers are human too.

Do you think the relationship between a reader and a character is important? I would love to hear from you. Please to share your thoughtful inputs... I enjoy reading them.

This according to me is the most important relationship. At times I'm so much into the story that I forget to appreciate the author. 

And yes many times I have a different opinion about a character from the rest. It actually happens because we all come from different backgrounds and as each writer is different so is a reader. The reader's opinion depends upon his/her understanding of the situation. No two readers and writers can be the same.

I'm glad that you try to understand the readers.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

WordStalker thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Ok, this is going to sound cheesy but it's the best way to describe what I think is the relationship between a reader and character (or story).

I see the story as a journey; the writer as the driver; and the reader as the passenger. As a reader, i choose to go on this journey with the writer. There may be things the writer points out to me on this journey, but there will also be other things that catch my attention. Things that the writer may or may not point to. 

As a reader, i am free to pause anywhere in this journey. i am free to look at what i want, to stop and admire things around me, or even to end the journey. And just as the driver and passenger don't necessarily see the same things on a journey, a reader and writer may not focus on the same details. 

A reader's relationship to a character is a very subjective one, I think. So many things can influence this relationship, including the writer and the reader's own life experiences. 

A writer may present a character in a particular light. As I reader, I am free to decide how I view that character within that light. That interpretation is my own.

Again, just as the driver and passenger don't see anything from the same angle given their position, a reader and writer also don't see things from the same angle. And this applies to characters too. I think, a reader may come close to seeing a character like the writer sees him, but very rarely, if at all, do both visions merge.
infiresmayn thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: WordStalker

Ok, this is going to sound cheesy but it's the best way to describe what I think is the relationship between a reader and character (or story).

I see the story as a journey; the writer as the driver; and the reader as the passenger. As a reader, i choose to go on this journey with the writer. There may be things the writer points out to me on this journey, but there will also be other things that catch my attention. Things that the writer may or may not point to. 

As a reader, i am free to pause anywhere in this journey. i am free to look at what i want, to stop and admire things around me, or even to end the journey. And just as the driver and passenger don't necessarily see the same things on a journey, a reader and writer may not focus on the same details. 

A reader's relationship to a character is a very subjective one, I think. So many things can influence this relationship, including the writer and the reader's own life experiences. 

A writer may present a character in a particular light. As I reader, I am free to decide how I view that character within that light. That interpretation is my own.

Again, just as the driver and passenger don't see anything from the same angle given their position, a reader and writer also don't see things from the same angle. And this applies to characters too. I think, a reader may come close to seeing a character like the writer sees him, but very rarely, if at all, do both visions merge.

I don't think the reader-writer relationship could have possibly been described any more perfectly than this. 

Completely spot on! 👏
Edited by MsIPKKNDManic - 11 years ago
Krani thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 9
I think a relationship between a reader and a character can only happen when the writer is not interfering with the reader's thought process. For example, with your story, Glass, I am often wondering out loud in my comments on the actions and reactions of different characters - and as a result I form my opinion on them as the story progresses. I don't think there has ever been a point where you have told me,
"K, you are wrong, this person is negative, and you viewing them doing this in not a negative light, is wrong. Please change the way you think" 
Even if you did, I'd probably laugh. 

So I guess from a writer's POV, we need to be conscious of letting the readers come to their own conclusions on things. 
Maya is another classic example of this. So many times I have analysed and re-analysed her chapters, forming a different relation with each character, and she's never interrupted the way my thoughts flow out. 

But the only time I feel that a relationship between a character and reader can turn toxic is when it starts to delude them of what's actually taking place in the story. 

Example, if an antagonist is killing someone, and the reader tries to justify it by blaming the victim, then things can get a bit tricky, as they aren't really reading the story being written. 

From a writer's POV, I think if the reader is not really getting what you are trying to convey to them, then we need to pull up our socks, sharpen up our writing skills and hope to convey the message properly. 
Ha- Ha 

See i am making a post!😉 I swear i thought I res-ed but  I didnt. 

Anyways... another serious wala post from my Tvin!

I dont have much to say here, since, I dont regularly comment on FFs, do to my own continuity issues. 
 A reader has to connect with the character to continue with the FF. Aint nobody going to read your FF if the characterization isnt clicking with the reader. 
Author Julia Quinn said " if your characters arent likable or relatble, the viewer simply chucks your book"

That said, if the author has set a particular track out for a character, they must be given the creative liberty to do so! I had read a comment saying, sometimes it works better for the story, if all psychology, or medical, legal facts arent followed to the last letter. However glaring discrepancies aren't the way to go, and that's where some readers may get annoyed

Coming to disagreeing and comments: I have often seen members disagreeing with a characterization and people jumping down the  member's throats to disagree and scare off the member. As long as a member disagrees and in a way that isn't rude or telling you to change the story to suit her fantasies, I think the comment should be respected and addressed in a polite way!

Way too often, I see member's shoo-ed off for disagreeing and being told off , for sharing their insight or their reasons for disagreeing with a particular narrative.

Might add more later! TFS, RES😉

JalebiJane thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Krani

I think a relationship between a reader and a character can only happen when the writer is not interfering with the reader's thought process. For example, with your story, Glass, I am often wondering out loud in my comments on the actions and reactions of different characters - and as a result I form my opinion on them as the story progresses. I don't think there has ever been a point where you have told me,

"K, you are wrong, this person is negative, and you viewing them doing this in not a negative light, is wrong. Please change the way you think" 
Even if you did, I'd probably laugh. 

So I guess from a writer's POV, we need to be conscious of letting the readers come to their own conclusions on things. 
Maya is another classic example of this. So many times I have analysed and re-analysed her chapters, forming a different relation with each character, and she's never interrupted the way my thoughts flow out. 

But the only time I feel that a relationship between a character and reader can turn toxic is when it starts to delude them of what's actually taking place in the story. 

Example, if an antagonist is killing someone, and the reader tries to justify it by blaming the victim, then things can get a bit tricky, as they aren't really reading the story being written. 

From a writer's POV, I think if the reader is not really getting what you are trying to convey to them, then we need to pull up our socks, sharpen up our writing skills and hope to convey the message properly. 

The more I write, the more I begin to feel that the writer ought be invisible. [And when I say 'writer' I mean the writer, not the narrator] Consider the role of the camera in film/photography----the camera frames the shot; the writer (the pen) frames the scene leading the reader's eye---then her job is done! And, we all know the unsettling experience of when we are watching a film and we see a bit of the camera accidentally caught in the frame. It breaks the illusion of the story.

maya hill
CravingKhana thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 3
This content was originally posted by: Inked

Well said ! Well said...
I dont want to sound condescending and yes agen has nothing to do with talent,,,,but to have understood that key element...you are on your way...

WordStalker thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
[The more I write, the more I begin to feel that the writer ought be invisible. [And when I say 'writer' I mean the writer, not the narrator] Consider the role of the camera in film/photography----the camera frames the shot; the writer (the pen) frames the scene leading the reader's eye---then her job is done! And, we all know the unsettling experience of when we are watching a film and we see a bit of the camera accidentally caught in the frame. It breaks the illusion of the story.

maya hill
[/QUOTE]

Well said! The story should speak for itself.
napstermonster thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 7
res--and i"ll be back@

See below...see, people? i'm a reformed Res er!
Edited by napstermonster - 11 years ago
napstermonster thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail + 7
This content was originally posted by: WordStalker

[The more I write, the more I begin to feel that the writer ought be invisible. [And when I say 'writer' I mean the writer, not the narrator] Consider the role of the camera in film/photography----the camera frames the shot; the writer (the pen) frames the scene leading the reader's eye---then her job is done! And, we all know the unsettling experience of when we are watching a film and we see a bit of the camera accidentally caught in the frame. It breaks the illusion of the story.

maya hill

Well said! The story should speak for itself.
[/QUOTE]

A wonderful discussion, so I'll jump right in. As a writer, I can understand Maya's comment, but in some ways, I dont agree fully--not in the case of the fan fics work we are doing on this site.  I'm not saying that is not the ideal situation,-the complete immersion of the reader, and the invisibility of the person creating the narrative. In the case of straight up fiction, that is not just possible, but desirable. But I ask you, can this necessarily be achieved in the case of fan fictions based on an established serial? 

Now not agreeing with something Inked has said is a bit like heresy, personally, so here's my logic--

The problem we, the writers face, as we pen our works is the very canon from which we have drawn our inspiration. in a lot of the cases you cannot really blame the reader for scratching his or her head and say--MY Arnav would not do this--if you are using the character this reader has seen on screen for over a year, and are either expanding on certain traits, or removing him from the usual setting, that is a normal reaction.  I am not speaking of illogical moves, or stupid plot twists. But a very close relationship between the reader and the character can hinder the narrative of the AUTHOR.

The issue here, is for the reader to try and see if he can trust his story teller. if he can let go of his expectations, and enjoy the ride. If  not, its frustrating for everyone concerned--the reader is reluctant to let go,  and angry that what he thinks should be happening is not taking place. And  the writer feels frustrated in not being allowed to narrate his story.

Many writers I am sure feel the difficulty in trying to break this reader-canon character love fest. If your story's character is significantly different, it puzzles the person who has come to you to see your treatment of- "HIS"  Arnav and Khushi. The reality is, if the reader wants something close to what he or she might see onscreen, they are better served--seeing the story unfold onscreen.

But if you are reading a story, you have to let go of your hold, and let me tell you what my idea of the character is, and what he or she should do, and is doing in my head. Give me a chance to convince you of my view, and to give me that chance, you must let go a little of the relationship you have already established with Arnav, Khushi et al.

This is hard, since all us writers know, our fictions are not going to be seen in a vaccum, and the characters are going to have trace elements from the "real" life characters on screen.

This explains why so many authors react defensively when their portrayal is questioned--its not easy to create a new dimension onto a man who so many people have fixed notions of.  I don't defend rudeness, because I think as a writer, it is your job to accept the rejections along with the praise. You have put your material out there to be judged. You don't get to decide what that judgment is.  Please feel free to judge me...i implore you, judge me! I am writing for you, for your emotions, to make you happy. My happiness lies in getting your response, and in the satisfaction I feel when I post. You are the reader, what you feel is valid. whatever that is.

I see my readers like this: you are not my momma. You don't need to love me, and clap for everything I do. I wont grow, if you do that, actually. But indifference is the death of creativity. So-- please tell me what you truly feel, and only respond when I have moved you enough to comment. I will do the same for you.

My final point is this--other than completely new characters who have sprung from our mind, and are our own creations (like Inked's Yash, or my Kunal Roy) as writers we don't have control over the relationship you, the reader already have with the main characters. But we should be allowed to question that relationship, subvert it, make you think new things about it---if not, why are you reading our work?

Ultimately, of course, this is fan fiction. Clever writing, and changed settings wlll only get you so far--canon is canon, even with pastiche writing, the background, the incidents that have shaped the people you are recreating, still exists.  How many people will read about Arnav with a woman who's name is NOT Khushi?

The challenge of blending your viewpoint and the reader's ideas becomes easier if the reader is willing to think of the character as "Arnav and Khushi in name only."

How many readers can do that?

Edited by napstermonster - 11 years ago