Preity Zinta and Rani Mukharjee

Preity Zinta and Rani Mukharjee

Preity Zinta

teenindia_usa thumbnail
Posted: 17 years ago
Preity Zinta -History
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Preity Zinta
Preity Zinta in Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna (2006)
Born:      January 31, 1974
Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, India

Preity Zinta (born 31 January 1974) is an Indian actress who appears in Bollywood movies.
Contents

* 1 Early Life
    * 2 Career
    * 3 Personal Life
    * 4 Awards and nominations
           o 4.1 IIFA Awards
           o 4.2 Filmfare Awards
           o 4.3 Star Screen Awards
           o 4.4 Zee Cine Awards
           o 4.5 Stardust Awards
           o 4.6 Other awards
    * 5 Filmography
           o 5.1 Films
           o 5.2 Television appearances
    * 6 Trivia
    * 7 See also
    * 8 References
    * 9 External links

Early Life

Born in Shimla, Himachal Pradesh, she studied at the Convent of Jesus and Mary School, Shimla. At first she was going to do a English honours but decided to pursue psychology [1]. After getting a degree in criminal psychology at the St. Bedes College, Zinta began her career as a model, and commercial (ad films) actress (she was seen in Lyril (soap ad film).

Her father, Durganand Zinta was an officer in the Indian Army. Durganand Zinta died when Preity was thirteen, in a car accident in which her mother, Nilprabha Zinta was also involved. Her mother was bedridden because of this incident. Zinta has two brothers, Deepanker Zinta and Manish Zinta, a year older and a year younger respectively. One of her brothers is a commissioned officer in the Indian Army. [2]
[edit]

Career

Her first movie was supposed to be Soldier but due to delay Dil Se (1998) was released first. The film was her breakthrough role and she won the Filmfare Best Debut Award for her performance. Since then her career has been that of a typical Bollywood star: not many hits but not many flops either.

In 2003, Zinta had two smash hits, Koi... Mil Gaya and Kal Ho Naa Ho. She is currently among the most successful actresses in Bollywood. In the year of 2003, she won many awards for her role in the film, Kal Ho Naa Ho. Her performance got her the Filmfare Best Actress Award [3]. Since then she has appeared in the averagely received Lakshya (2004) [4] and the box office hits Veer-Zaara (2004) and Salaam Namaste (2005) [5]

She joined a group of top stars (Shahrukh Khan, Rani Mukerji, Saif Ali Khan, Arjun Rampal, and Priyanka Chopra) in the Temptation 2004 concert, which was a huge international success. [6]

In May 2006, she along with Karan Johar received an invitation to represent Bollywood at the Cannes Film Festival. They took this opportunity to promote their upcoming film Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna. [7]

Zinta will also participate in the BAFTA Awards which will showcase a whole week on Bollywood. Her film Dil Chahta Hai (2001) will be screened and she will also take part in a question and answer session. [8]

Zinta has written three columns for BBC South Asia.[9] [10] [11]
[edit]

Personal Life

She has been linked with a few of her co-stars such as Salman Khan, Abhishek Bachchan and Aamir Khan but has always dismissed them as rumours [12]. She is currently dating the heir to the Bombay Dyeing company Ness Wadia. [13]

Awards and nominations

IIFA Awards

2001: Best Actress nomination for Kya Kehna

2002: Best Actress nomination for Dil Chahta Hai

2003: Best Actress win for Kal Ho Naa Ho

2004: Best Actress nomination for Veer Zaara and Style Diva of the Year win.

2005: Best Actress nomination for Salaam Namaste and Special Award under the category IIFA Idea Glamorous Star Award win [14]
[edit]

Filmfare Awards

1998: Best Debut win for Dil Se and Best Supporting Actress nomination for Dil Se

2002: Best Supporting Actress nomination for Chori Chori Chupke Chupke

2003: Best Actress win for Kal Ho Naa Ho, Best Actress nomination for Koi... Mil Gaya and Best Villain nomination for Armaan

2004: Best Actress nomination for Veer Zaara

2005: Best Actress nomination for Salaam Namaste
[edit]

Star Screen Awards

1998: Most Promising Newcomer - Female win for Soldier

2002: Best Actress nomination for Dil Hai Tumhaara

2003: Best Actress nomination for Kal Ho Naa Ho and Best Villain nomination for Armaan

2004: Best Actress nomination for Veer Zaara and Special Award under the category Jodi No. 1 win along with Shahrukh Khan for Veer Zaara

2005: Best Actress nomination for Salaam Namaste and Special Award under the category Jodi No. 1 nomination along with Saif Ali Khan for Salaam Namaste
[edit]

Zee Cine Awards

1998: Best Female Debut win for Soldier

2003: Superstar of the Year- Female win, Queen of Hearts win and Best Actress nomination for Kal Ho Naa Ho

2004: Best Actress nomination for Veer Zaara

2005: Best Actress nomination for Salaam Namaste
[edit]

Stardust Awards

2003: Star of the Year win for Kal Ho Naa Ho

2004: Star of the Year win for Veer Zaara

2005: Star of the Year nomination for Salaam Namaste
[edit]

Other awards

* 2003, Asian Guild Award, Best Actress, Koi... Mil Gaya
    * 2003, Pogo Awards "Most Amazing Actress", Kal Ho Naa Ho
    * 2003, Chhoton Ka Funda Award, Koi... Mil Gaya
    * 2003, Sansui Award, Best Actress, Kal Ho Naa Ho
    * 2003, MTV Immies, Best Actress, Kal Ho Naa Ho
    * 2004, BBC Film Caf, Best Actress, Veer-Zaara

She has received five nominations for best actress at the Filmfare awards, and has won once. In 2003 she received three nominations, two in the best actress category and one in the best villain category.
[edit]

Filmography
Preity Zinta in Salaam Namaste (2005)
Enlarge
Preity Zinta in Salaam Namaste (2005)
[edit]

Films
Year      Film      Role      Other notes
2007      Jhoom Barabar Jhoom           ;  Pre-production [15]
2006      Jaaneman            Post-production
2006      Kabhi Alvida Naa Kehna      Rhea Saran      Post-production
2006      Krrish      Nisha      Special Appearance
2006      Alag             Special Appearance in song Sabse Alag
2005      Salaam Namaste      Ambar Malhotra      Nomination, Filmfare Best Actress Award
2005      Khullam Khulla Pyaar Karen      Priti      
2004      Veer-Zaara       Zaara Hayat Khan      Nomination, Filmfare Best Actress Award
2004      Dil Ne Jise Apna Kahaa      Dr. Parineeta (Pari)      
2004      Lakshya      Romila Dutta      
2003      Kal Ho Naa Ho      Naina Catherine Kapur      Winner, Filmfare Best Actress Award
2003      Koi... Mil Gaya      Nisha     ;  Nomination, Filmfare Best Actress Award
2003      Armaan    &nbs p; Sonia Kapoor      Nomination, Filmfare Best Villain Award
2003      The Hero: Love Story of a Spy      Reshma/Ruksar  &nbs p;   
2002      Dil Hai Tumhaara      Shalu      
2001      Yeh Raaste Hain Pyaar Ke      Sakshi      
2001      Dil Chahta Hai      Shalini      
2001      Chori Chori Chupke Chupke      Madhubala (Madhu)      Nominated, Filmfare Best Supporting Actress Award
2001      Farz      Kajal Singh      
2000      Mission Kashmir      Sufiya Parvez      
2000      Har Dil Jo Pyar Karega      Jahnvi      
1999      Kya Kehna      Priya Baxi      Nomination, Filmfare Best Actress Award
1999      Dillagi      Rani      Guest Appearance
1999      Sangharsh    & nbsp; CBI Officer Reet Oberoi      
1999      Raja Kumarudu      Rani      
1998      Premante Idera      Sailaja      
1998      Soldier      Preeti Singh      
1998      Dil Se      Preeti Nair      Winner, Filmfare Best Debut Award
[edit]

Television appearances

* Jeena Isi Ka Naam Hai (appeared 2002)
    * Tinseltown TV (interviewed 21 February 2004)
    * Koffee with Karan (2004-2005) (appeared December 3, 2004 and March 11, 2005 in Episode #1.3 and Epsiode #1.15) [16]
    * Asian Talk On CNN (2005) (interviewed August 4, 2005)
    * Kaun Banega Crorepati? (appeared August 19, 2005 in the Raksha Bandhan Special)
    * BBC World (interviewed April 23, 2006 on Peschardt's People)

[edit]

Trivia

* Critics began to take notice of her after her performance in Kya Kehna.
    * She narrowly escaped death twice in late 2004, once after an explosion at a Temptation concert in Colombo, and later in the Indian Ocean Tsunami.

References

1. ^ timesofindia.indiatimes.com. Alternative option for Zinta. Retrieved on 24 June 2006.
   2. ^ preityzinta-fanclub.com. Preity Zinta's family. Retrieved on 19 April 2006.
   3. ^ filmfareawards.indiatimes.com. Filmfare Awards: Best Actress for Preity Zinta. Retrieved on 16 April 2006.
   4. ^ boxofficeindia.com. Box office report for Lakshya. Retrieved on 2 June 2006.
   5. ^ cinechance.com. Veer-Zaara and Salaam Namaste box office reports. Retrieved on 16 April 2006.
   6. ^ nriinternet.com. Temptations 2004 concert. Retrieved on 24 June 2006.
   7. ^ apunkachoice.com. Preity Zinta at the Cannes Film Festival. Retrieved on 18 June 2006.
   8. ^ newindpress.com. Bollywood goes to the BAFTA's. Retrieved on 3 July 2006.
   9. ^ news.bbc.co.uk. First written article by Preity Zinta for BBC South Asia. Retrieved on 13 June 2004.
10. ^ news.bbc.co.uk. Second written article by Preity Zinta for BBC South Asia. Retrieved on 25 December 2004.
11. ^ news.bbc.co.uk. Third written article by Preity Zinta for BBC South Asia. Retrieved on 16 April 2006.
12. ^ movies.indiainfo.com. Preity Zinta on alleged link-ups. Retrieved on 16 April 2006.
13. ^ accessdate=6 April bollywoodmantra.com. Preity Zinta and Ness Wadia.
14. ^ hindu.com. Preity Zinta wins IIFA Award. Retrieved on 19 June 2006.
15. ^ hindustantimes.com. Preity Zinta signs Jhoom Barabar Jhoom. Retrieved on 19 April 2006.
16. ^ web.mid-day.com. Preity Zinta on Koffee with Karan. Retrieved on 16 April 2006.
17. ^ indiafm.com. Preity Zinta on near death experience. Retrieved on 2 June 2006.

External links

* Preity Zinta at the Internet Movie Database

Retrieved:SOURCE   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preity_Zinta

Edited by teenindia_usa - 17 years ago
HR ki sayyonni thumbnail

Biography for
Preity Zinta

Nickname Preetam Singh
Height 5' 5" (1.65 m)
Mini biography

Preity Zinta shot to fame as the refreshing, cool, wet model in the Liril ad. She also modeled for Perk and her dimpled smile won the hearts of million. Preity never thought she would be an actress. When she was studying Criminal Psychology in Bombay University that Shekhar Kapoor saw her in the Liril ad and liked her so much that her instantly decided that the next film he would announce would have her in the lead. However 'Tara Rum Pum' never got made and is still pending since the director got very busy with his other projects.

But another offer soon came by, Kundan Shah's 'Kya Kehna.' Though the film was the first, Preity had actually begun shooting for her first release which was Mani Ratnam's Dil Se. The film was a hit which won Preity accolades. Later Abbas-Mustan's Soldier that too was a hit at the box-office confirmed she was here to stay. Though 'Kya Kehna' was her first film, but it released in 2000 and was the surprise hit of 2000.

Her role in 'Dil Chahta Hai' and 'Dil Hai Tumhara' was appreciated and liked by all and that has made her an actress to reckon with in Bollywood. Her screen presence, charm and down to earth nature has made her the favorite actress of almost all the directors and producers. With banners and films like Rakesh Roshan's 'Koi Mil Gaya' with Hrithik Roshan, Nikhil Advani's 'Kal Ho Na Ho' starring superstar Shahrukh Khan, Saif Ali Khan, and Jaya Bachan, Farhan Akthar's 'Lakshya' with Hrithik Roshan and Amitabh Bachchan, Atul Agnihotri's 'Dil Ne Jise Apna Kaha' starring Salman Khan and Bhoomika Chawla, Yash Chopra's 'Veer Zaara' with superstar Shahrukhh Khan and Rani Mukherjee, Siddhart Anand's 'Salaam Namaste' with Saif Ali Khan, and Karan Johar's 'Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna' with superstar Shahrukh Khan, Amitabh Bachan, Abhishek Bachan, Rani Mukherjee, and John Abraham, Preity has already made her place in the hearts of the public and also in Bollywood.

IMDb mini-biography by Amina
Trade mark

Her dimples

Trivia

Dated Marc Robinson, one of the hottest models in India.

Model and TV anchor

Broke up with Marc Robinson. Marc give the reason of Preity being too busy doing films. [2001]

Graduated in Psychology

Turned down the lead in _Marigold (2004)_ .

Has won over 4 awards for Kya Kehna and 7 Awards for Kal HO Na ho

She refuses to speak about her personal life in the media

Has 2 different hairstyles in the movie Lakshya.

Kal Ho Naa Ho is her second film with Shah Rukh Khan and her third film with Saif Ali Khan.

Critics began to take notice of her after her performance in Kya Khena.

Won a Filmfare award for best actress for 'Kal Ho Na Ho.'

Preity Zinta Wins Best Actress at Stardust Awards for 'Veer Zaara.'

She won the IIFA Style Diva Award (2005).

Is a major fan of the hit TV series The Simpsons

Her father, Durganand Zinta was an officer in the Indian Army. Durganand Zinta died when Preity was thirteen, in a car accident in which her mother, Nilprabha Zinta was also involved. Her mother was bedridden because of this incident.

Has two brothers, Deepanker Zinta and Manish Zinta, a year older and a year younger respectively. One of her brothers is a commissioned officer in the Indian Army.

Has written three columns for BBC South Asia.

She joined a group of top stars (Shahrukh Khan, Saif Ali Khan, Arjun Rampal, Rani Mukherjee, and Priyanka Chopra) in the Temptation 2004 concert, which was a huge international success.

She narrowly escaped death twice in late 2004, once after an explosion at a Temptation concert in Colombo, and later in the Indian Ocean Tsunami.

Personal quotes

"I lost my father when I was 13-years-old. He was a great man, my father, and very intelligent. I love him very much. I believe it's very important that parents have a personal connection with their children. It helps kids feel more secure, have a feeling of family, makes them feel loved."

"Whenever I came across something that influenced me, I wanted to be that. So it varied from an astronaut, airhostess, army girl, to truck driver. Once, I wanted to be a nun - my mother wanted me to change schools after that..."

"I am single and desperately looking for a good man in my life. I did have major crushes when I was younger but no serious relationship."

"I want to bring a change and do something new and different in my profession, but in the beginning I'll have to toe line, I want to be known as a performer not a star."

"I am proud to be part of today's Bollywood. I love dancing and lip synching to our songs."

"To act, you must know pain. You must know what it means to be in love, what it means to be rejected."

"You know what's the worst part about being an actress? It's the pressure to look gorgeous all the time and to behave perfectly. But I'm not perfect, nobody is."

"Acting can truly take a toll on your nerves. I mean we have to be larger than life. Worse, I've seen actors acting off the sets too."

On the changing face of Indian cinema "At one time I wondered if I was doing the right films, today I know I have made the right choices. Indian cinema is changing, not step by step but by leaps. New blood is coming in, mindsets are changing and our exposure to the world is ever-increasing. I am glad these positive changes are happening when I am in the industry and not ten years from now."

On love at first sight "It is superficial to fall in love with someone looking at their face. To me I need to discover the person. I would never look at someone and exclaim - He is the one!"

Salary
Chori Chori Chupke Chupke (2001) INR 2,500,000
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0006689/bio
teenindia_usa thumbnail
To ASh our special poster and oversseer of PZ-1 and 2 want to wish u a happyb-day

sweet.priyanka thumbnail
Hii Pari didi
Can I join?
teenindia_usa thumbnail
Sure u may and more the merrier
vinit_fan thumbnail
HAPPY belated B'DAY ASH.... !!!! Hope u had a NICE time.. !!! 😃 luv u lotzzz... 🤗
Too_Much thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
ohh so its ashs birthday......kisi me kaha hi nahe........hope u achive every thing in life and fullfill your and your parents dream...... 😊