Arjun
Arjun

India-Forums

FF--Discontinued until no further notice- (Page 9)

ll-Shilpa-ll IF-Sizzlerz
ll-Shilpa-ll
ll-Shilpa-ll

Posted: 20 October 2012 at 10:51am | IP Logged
Very good update, things are getting more and more mysterious. Can't wait to read more.
Sneha113 IF-Sizzlerz
Sneha113
Sneha113

Posted: 20 October 2012 at 1:44pm | IP Logged
superlyk dear Smile
so riya's research is coming into work Smile
and suspense too is increasing..
update soon and thanks for the pm Smile
samiya.059 IF-Rockerz
samiya.059
samiya.059

Posted: 20 October 2012 at 8:07pm | IP Logged
Wow beautiful
the story is getting intresting
thanks for pm
update soon
sashashyam IF-Rockerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Posted: 21 October 2012 at 2:49am | IP Logged
My dear Fatima,

Thanks a lot for writing such  detailed and clarificatory response to mine.

I feel rather guilty at having made you spend so much time on this when you are so hard pressed with your studies. I would like to suggest something for your possible use when you simply cannot spare the time for the updates. I am sure you have a notebook for this story, and whenever you  feel like taking a break from your studies but cannot take enough time off to write another chapter, you could think out the framework of the next chapter and jot it down pointwise in a format that you can decipher without problems when the time comes to actually write it down. It might save you a lot of the preparatory work when you get down to writing the chapter.

Take care and all the best for your studies, as also  with this story.

Shyamala Aunty

Originally posted by Escapist

Originally posted by sashashyam

My dear Fatima,

These 3 chapters form a very good opening for a crime novel. Even if it is your first in this genre, it is evident that you are no novice when it comes to writing fiction.

I really dunno what to say to this I'm grateful you felt this way coz this is my first ever experimentation in this genre and I hope I improve in my further chapters. 

What I like the best, so far, is the introductory prologue, suitably italicized to differentiate it from the rest of the regular narrative. It is obviously meant to describe the last thoughts of the dying Avantika (it has to be her as there is only her dead body on the premises), and it is really chilling in what it shows of the grey depths of her innermost being. It is awful to think of someone in such despair that life has no colour and no meaning,  and death ' self-inflicted or not, something you have, cleverly,  left open ' seems a release.

I have often seen in crime shows that they begin with what has happened and then the investigation dept is bought into picture. Though I've hardly read any crime novel, this was my primary help and I'm glad the readers could understand it was Avantika. I agree it is awful for someone to think this negatively but then again the human mind is elusive and complicated for one to fathom it can have the brightest of thoughts or the exact opposite. And it is true to both, the victim and even the attacker.  

The rest of the narrative is crisp and professional, and my compliments on that. In terms of descriptions that hint at hidden meanings, I would mention the sharp contrast between the vivid brightness of the living room and the 'eerie melancholy' of the bedroom. The bedroom is an intensely personal place, which almost always reflects the true personality of the inhabitant, whereas the living room is for public display, meant to project the desired image, which might be far removed from reality. Another telling point is the complete absence of family or other personal photos, which hints at Avantika's alienation from her past, something that is confirmed elsewhere in the narrative.

Thank you. I had similar thoughts in my mind while penning down the description of her home as it is a well known fact that people are an amalgam of public and private and hence their decor changes considerably. But, this might not usually be the case with all as some people are direct about themselves their entire home reflects them in just one tone or shade unlike Avantika's where there is a distinction. 

As this is only the beginning, I cannot say much about the plot, which is as yet like  a tightly furled umbrella. I shall look out  for the next chapter, to see how many of your cards you open up there. But I already have  a number of questions.

I hope I can answer as many I can at the moment.

1) Is the 'sofa' on which Avantika is found the same as the 'chair' into which she falls back, according to the second  para in the prologue?  If not, it means that she was moved after her death ' whether by suicide or murder ' by another person.

Well it is the same sofa, it is just a typo error of using the word chair which now that you've pointed out I've corrected. So, it clearly is a suicide till now.

2) As no one in the neighbouring houses heard the shot, and there was no silencer on the pistol found on the scene, it means that the TV was on at full volume, something that is also confirmed in the prologue. It follows that after Avantika's death ' whether she shot herself or the other person shot her,  something on which the prologue is silent ' this other person muted the TV set. He/she obviously did this so as not to attract the attention of the neighbours,  who might have investigated if it had gone on blaring all thru the night. It seems reasonable to conclude that this was meant to delay the discovery of the body till the next morning. The significance of this is as yet unknown.

I cannot comment much on this aspect at this point but you will get the motive of muting the television but whom and why in the coming chapters. 

3) Also, a .32 is  fairly large caliber pistol. If Avantika was shot/ shot herself thru the head with it, or indeed with any gun, she would have died instantly. There would have been no time for her to feel the blood streaming down the side of her face and  to realize that her consciousness was slipping away, as described in the prologue. What does  this mean as regards the nature of the shot and the location of the wound? The narrative is silent on these points, as also about the number of shots fired.

This is a good point made by you, but then again it's not necessary that if one is shot in the head there might be immediate death. Whether she was shot directly at the vital position or other can only be revealed in the complete postmortem report that is yet to arrive.

4) What time did she return to the house the previous night? The driver is said to have confirmed that he did bring her back there, but when?

The questions will again we only confirmed by the pending reports alone.

5) What is meant by 'wearing a dinner dress'? In India, we do not 'dress for dinner' unless we are going out for the meal. What then does this mean ' that she had dressed up to receive a visitor(s)  in the evening? There seems to have been only one plate on the centre table, showing that the visitor, if any, did not join her in the meal. Does this indicate that he/she came after Avantika had finished her dinner? That would place the time of the visit fairly late.

No comments as of now :)

6) There is no mention so far of any indications of the presence of another person, other than the muting of the TV. I presume they would be testing the remote control of the TV for fingerprints other than Avantika's  Even if the other person wore gloves, he/she would have smudged Avantika's earlier prints while handling the remote, and this could be detected.

Quite possible.

7) Lastly, I could not understand why, in Chapter 2,  you say "the terrified Riya'? What is she terrified about?

You might get this answer in the upcoming chapter.

This is as much as I can say at this point, and I would conclude by reiterating that it is a very good start. However, you have to update frequently if you are not to lose the momentum, which is vital in a crime story. I am sure Sookie will keep you on your toes!

I agree to this 100% but I'm down with so many assignments and more than Sookie they are what are keeping me on my toes LOL

All the very  best for the rest of your story, and this is as much in my interest, as a reader, as in yours as the author!

Thank You so much, for taking out time and reading the story and also analyzing each and every aspect. This also gave me an insight as to what I should keep in mind for further chapters. 

Shyamala B.Cowsik

Originally posted by Escapist

Chapter 3:

sashashyam IF-Rockerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Posted: 24 October 2012 at 1:56am | IP Logged

My dear Fatima,

You are coming along nicely, very nicely indeed. The note found  near the TV is eerie, hinting at half-seen terror and despair, and in that  sense , the sense of despair, it meshes perfectly with Avantika's feelings  as you had described them  in the prologue.

I do not intend to speculate about the poem, for that would be fruitless, but tell me one thing: in the  penultimate line, is it "Brings me the tale, why the black moon rising"  or is it as spelt here, "the tail"? I can make even less sense of the present version than of "tale", but of course it would all be clear to you! At least I can now glimpse, even if not really understand, why Riya was 'terrified' in Chapter 2.

I was pleased and impressed by the reference to the paraffin test. That is a neat professional touch! I hope all your readers know what that is, but if any of you do not, it is a test for detecting the minute particles of gunpowder that adhere to the skin on the hand of a person firing a gun. It is proof positive that the individual has actually fired the gun. In this case, a positive paraffin test for Avantika's hand would strengthen the case for a suicide. One can of course wear long gloves and beat the paraffin test.

Fatima, you have managed to retain the correct note of mystery so far, and I am sure it will get only better as you (and we) move ahead.

Shyamala Aunty

[QUOTE=Escapist]

Chapter 4:

IshqDewaani Goldie
IshqDewaani
IshqDewaani

Posted: 24 October 2012 at 6:34am | IP Logged
wow...the story is moving really mysterious...supercool...
thanks fr the pm...
lovely
princessaneeka Groupbie
princessaneeka
princessaneeka

Posted: 06 November 2012 at 8:55am | IP Logged
awesome
shrutisweety IF-Sizzlerz
shrutisweety
shrutisweety

Posted: 06 November 2012 at 9:04am | IP Logged
i have read all parts