S08E2 : "What's up Tiger Mommy?"// An analysis.

•  
  • Page of 1 Go
  •  
Posted: 11 years ago
This post contains SPOILERS for anyone who hasn't gone beyond S08E1.

We're only at episode two and I think I already like this season better than the previous one. Today's episode made me feel this season is going to be a BOSS.  I don't have loads to say except for the fact that the episode was great in terms of everything. Transition from scene to scene was smooth, pace good, flashbacks at appropriate places and some new and very interesting revelations. It shouldn't have been a surprise that Kevin's mother turned out be tougher than the Winchesters might have expected. After all, Kevin's proved to be quite resourceful than they must have thought. 

Today's comic scenes were good too, Supernatural has a knack of infusing comedy in situations unexpected and yet not make it look forced. Jensen Ackles's comic timing is superb, no doubt about that and Jared Padalecki compliments him very well. Tatoo scene was funny too and it was refreshing that Winchesters decided it should be the rule list. Special mention would be the way they knocked demons out of their way at Mrs. Tran's house, and Dean's 'scoot over to the next seat' act directed to Sam. Seems like Tiger Mommy scared him! Haha.

I wish they had gone ahead with the plan of letting Kevin memorize the tablet, would saved them so much trouble. And no doubt their plan A, B, C and XYZ failed. This was no regular auction guys! Crowley is one demon I can tolerate, more so because of his one liners. 'Plan D for Dumbass'. << Good one. πŸ˜† 

Kevin's mothers offer to give up her soul was a heart breaking one. I wanted Dean and Sam to object in some way but they didn't which I disliked. Its understandable that it was their only practical option, but Dean-Sam always gave humanity the highest priority. Lucky that they could uncover Crowley's plot in time to stop the deal. That bit led to this interesting chase, Dean chasing Crowley/Mrs. Tran and Sam fighting with the Thor's hammer.

Another intriguing part of the episode was the Purgatory flashbacks. Dean interrogating Purgatory monster leading to Dean and Cass's reunion. The hug will go down in the 'Best Hugs' list of Supernatural. πŸ˜³ It was so touching and close up's used to bring out the emotions in the two characters worked so well. Both Jensen and Misha carried off the shabby look well. The whole conversation down there, Dean declaring he wouldn't leave without Castiel and Castiel revealing he has a price on his head covered all possible loopholes and is bound to make the viewers more curious. With the blame game on, looks like Dean has tougher questions to answer in the future. The last scene of Castiel calling out Dean for help was chilling. πŸ˜³ 

The episode raised a few questions for me though.

1. Dean is willing to sacrifice people (reffering to Kevin's mother here) but not Impala?/Dean pulling off a Soulless Sam and his penchant for holding a knife to someone's neck for information.

This only shows that this Dean is more damaged (if that's even possible) and is a more hardened Dean we have ever seen before. Remember the time he had asked Sam not to kill their father when he was possessed by Azazel? And every other time Dean shivered when Sam showed a slighest sign of inhumanity. Desperate times call for desperate measures is all I can say. Sigh!

2. Is Cass still insane?

Um, I don't think he's still the crazy Cass. The conversation in Purgatory didn't seem to like the one crazy Cass would have pulled off. He seemed his original Angel Cass, someone who's willing to bleed for Winchesters.

3. Is Cass dead?

I don't think so and I hope not. I cannot wrap my head around the idea. It just seems unlikely.

4. Will this again be a demon's vs angel's season?

Yeah I think so. First, closing the gates of hell is the long arc of the season. Angels would be the happiest lot if that can happen. Plus, appearance of angel Samandriel didn't look like a cameo to me.

I think that's it. Did I say I don't have much to say earlier on? You know now when not to believe me. πŸ˜† I'd love to know what you guys think. Please do share your views. Cheers! :)

Edited by herms_angel - 11 years ago
This one is a more concise and refined analysis than your last, I am impressed. You can write, can't you?  It is probably also because there's no comparison between how much I liked this one and how neutral I felt about the premiere. This was a boss episode, bottom line! 

I liked the transitions, pace and comic timing myself. Dean is uncannily funny and I am not even joking anymore. πŸ˜† And just how beautifully was Jensen Ackles supported by Jared Padalecki in this episode. Sam does not have much in his kitty as of now, but I am always in awe of his graceful and potent presence. Sam-Dean didn't have many scenes together but didn't I just lurve the way they killed the demon-gardener and demon-postman at Ms Tran's? It was skillfully epic. And then they splashed holy water on Linda's face. πŸ˜† And then there was the diaper bag and tablet dig on Kevin, uh, awfully funny. πŸ˜†

The Trans sure had more substance, courage and resilience than Dean and Sam had anticipated which is great.  Linda gave it to the pawn shop owner, didn't she? And then she also hit Crowley pretty bad. Speaking of him 'Plan D for Dumb arse', aah, I am a sucker for Crowley. You cannot get enough of him, can't like him, can't hate him. 

The auction was one of the most ridiculously weird things I have ever watched. The Moon, the real Mona Lisa, objectionable body parts of a dead virgin. Yaiks. πŸ˜³ And yaiks! πŸ€£

Now I come to the substance part of the episode. I liked Samandriel, how I wish that this does turn out to be angels versus demons. That'd be class.

My star for yesterday was Castiel. Misha Collins played Cass ingeniously yesterday, I was tongue-tied amazed at his acting abilities. Dean and Castiel reunion got me crying. Also, I am afraid twas the last most exquisite ounce of emotion I saw on Dean's face. I cannot see him going from battle-hardened to our good old defeated heart warrior in the foreseeable future. 

I have to agree with you here again that this episode gave way to a hell lot of possibilities, the plot has mustered up some boss pace and Supernatural seems like a labyrinth of emotion, reason, back-stories and thrill. Lastly, TOTALLY. This one is going to be much better than season seven, oh, yeah. πŸ˜³

Love from
Kanks

Edited by Savage - 11 years ago
First of all, great episode. You summarized almost everything in great words =)

"Today's episode made me feel this season is going to be a BOSS"
i SO have to agree with this. It has just been 2 episodes and im already loving every single bit of it. Jeremy Carver is a genius, period! 😎

Apart from Destiel's re-union (i'll talk about it later), people i loved the MOST in this episode were, without a doubt, Crowley and Kevin's mother. Gosh, she's a total kick-ass.. and its good to see a woman this tough after such a long time!

About Crowley, i loveee Mark for portraying this character with such brilliance. His one-liners were epic today. Especially the Plan D and mousse/squirrel one πŸ˜† Oh nd i loved the fact that Crowley (or Hell) owned the moon, that is so AWESOME :P 😎 And the scene where he talks about having a topless Mona Lisa, i LOL'd so hard at Dean's reaction to that πŸ˜†

Coming to my most favorite scene of the episode, the Destiel meeting <3 I still fail to believe that Dean would just 'let go' of Cass, especially coz he had done SO much to make sure he left Purgatory with the angel. So coming back, my heart skipped a beat when i saw Misha by that river. God, whats up with these SPN guys? They look SO much hotter in their shabby selves ☺️

After the finale of S7 i kept wondering how and why would Cass just leave Dean there with those monsters, but now we have the answer and its pretty much justified. He has a prize on his head, and he bailed on Dean just to save him *my Destiel heart* <3 And ofcourse, that hug will deffo go down in history Ackles nd Collins were absolutely brilliant in this scene πŸ˜ƒ

And after that last cliff-hanger scene, CAN 17th OCTOBER JUST COME ALREADY PLEASE? πŸ€”

i lovd d epi it ws awesome..
few scenes wer damn funny...
foursome reaction on crowley bidding moon was awesomeπŸ˜†
Reserved. I don't know if I'm going to do an analysis like the last time because the episode was almost all about Destiel for me and I ship them and idk a lot of other people over here who do too so yeah πŸ˜†

This was one hell of an episode!

The last season had been a bit disappointing for me, but now i feel that SPN is actually back with a BANG already...

This episode had everything, it had purgatory flashback scenes at appropriate timings, the plot was interesting and well paced , there were comic moments ...

The comic scenes were great. Especially the tattoo scene and that pawn shop scene, the diaper bag scene. Kevin's mother was awesome!!

Jensen was at the forefront in the episode, a and Jared supported him very well. J2 compliment each other so very well.

Dean Dean Dean *sigh* there is something majorly damaged in him.

Kevin's mother selling out this soul was one depressing scene.

AND then Crowley.. well how much I try to I just cant hate this guy. Plan D for Dumbass LOL :P

Cass and Dean hug, I just loved it!! And no I don't ship destiel :P

This episode opened the doors for so many possibilities.The last scene :O

I am just so much excited for this season!!!!

Edited by -BlazingWater- - 11 years ago
@K, Hoor and iluvvampires - I don't have much to reply since we're all on the same page and pretty much agree on everything about the episode. :) Thank you for the comments though. πŸ€—

@Aanya - Who knows you may find Destiel fans here too! :P I'll wait for the reserve to get edited. πŸ˜³

@Priya - ^^Ditto to the last line. πŸ˜†
the episode was so damn good!

there are so many things i liked in the episode, the tiger mommy was so cool! she actually cracked me up in few scenes.

crowley bidding the moon and alaska πŸ€£ the reaction of foursome was epic!

dean in purgatory is so hard and takes no mercy on anything...well to be frank, i kinda like this dean...he dont back away in killing anything that is not human. i wonder what really happen to castiel...m guessing dean was not able to save cass or he might have ran...considering dean is not the type of guy to run away from anything...itl be highly illogical to think of it...but he's also human and he mustv felt weak at some point
sorry for the ancient reply... πŸ˜† i saw the epi on axn on friday.. ( 2nd nov) IST.. so πŸ˜³
 first of all... damn the stupid axn broadcasters... no repeat timings at all.. anyway.. the first thing i liked was how the flashbacks to the time dean spent in purgatory were shown... whether he left a part of him in purgatory or not.. is unclear... those scenes of him with castiel were πŸ₯Ί... the auction set gave me the creeps... especially that man ( or demon ?) who sold 7/8ths of a virgin.. ( sorry, dont remember)..πŸ€”  although i didnt see the point of an angel being there... πŸ€” among so many demons... anyway.. agreed with u... crowley was as usual witty with his oneliners

yes, dean and sam shdnt have objected to kevin's mom selling her soul.. but they were despo to gain the tablet.. and plus they have already lost everyone near and dear to them..so maybe they have switched off the human part of themselves πŸ€”

1. Dean is willing to sacrifice people (reffering to Kevin's mother here) but not Impala?/Dean pulling off a Soulless Sam and his penchant for holding a knife to someone's neck for information.
well, even i wondered about this too... whether this is one off or not, will be revealed in future episodes..
2. Is Cass still insane?
no, i dont think so... he wanted to stay one step ahead of the leviathans.. hence maybe the act..

3. Is Cass dead?
no, i hope not... cass adds  an interesting dimension to the brothers tale.. atleast for me.. 😎

4. Will this again be a demon's vs angel's season? angel angel.jpg photo vs  Devil Demon Evil evilsmiley.gif photo

i hope not.. coz season 4, 5 we had angels vs demons with lucifer and micheal ... and plus now we also have the leviathans... hopefully they wont be sidelined.. they can bring a whole new twist ... enjoyed ur analysis.. herms.. ⭐️  πŸ‘