Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Posted: 11 years ago
So excited for this. Saw the trailer along with English Vinglish. So good to see so much passion in Rani's performance. The songs are AMAZING. Trailer is one of the best of 2012. I'm sure it's gonna be endlessly entertaining!
Unconventional thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail

I sooo want dis movie to do well...
-koiza- thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: Mrsimisam

I sooo want dis movie to do well...

me tooo

and it will it will

5 crores opening is expected and thats WOW for a movie with only 8 crores budget and favorable reviews so far

YAYY 

Unconventional thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Originally posted by: koiza.k

me tooo

and it will it will

5 crores opening is expected and thats WOW for a movie with only 8 crores budget and favorable reviews so far

YAYY 

Tumhare muh me ghee shakkar koiza..😃.pls ye sach ho jae...5 cr...wow...dats great...i want all dis only for Rani...she really deserves a superhit...😃
I want this movie to do extremely well! Usually I don't care about reviews, hits and all that but this time I do.

Let there be good reviews. Please, please, please!!!
you2 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6
Aseem Chhabra?@chhabs

@SufiyanaSoul I found the film very annoying - over-the-top loud irritating humor, with character behaving stupid!

Aseem Chhabra?@chhabs

@vilakudy I found it over-the-top, annoying with irritating characters. Prithvi Raj looked hot, but that's all he had to do in the film

@Fattiemama @SufiyanaSoul But Rani - despite her annoying character - looks charming. Prithvi Raj had nothing to do but to look hot!
Aseem Chhabra?@chhabs

@SufiyanaSoul There were brief funny moments, but mostly very silly.

😒
U-No-Poo thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Monali Thakur ?@monalithakur03

Superb dialogues! Melodramatic yet extremely sweet n enjoyable..Hilarious like how!!! Laughd my a** off :D Aiyyaa a complete entertainment!!

Raghuvendra Singh ?@raghuvendras

#Aiyyaa is a totally wakda entertainment. Never seen story n performances on screen. Rani M is fab as expected. Congrats team

Agastya Singh ?@agastyasingh

AIYYAA is a deserving watch. It's arresting, amusing, entertaining n of course thoroughly enjoyable, with Rani's splendid act-@taran_adarsh

Edited by U-No-Poo - 11 years ago
Hello_kitta thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Smell the funny

The absurd can be sexy, subversive, lofty—according to how a great artist intends it. It is a tricky form for a film-maker if he wants his film to reach out, and be consumed. In Aiyyaa, a carefully crafted amalgamation of Bollywood kitsch and absurd, over-the-top story-telling, writer-director Sachin Kundalkar almost achieves a fine balance, a dramatic perfection, careful never to alienate his viewer. But for the loose and meandering lead-up to the climax in the last half hour—the film should have been at least 20 minutes shorter to leave the viewer on a powerful note—Aiyyaa has a strident imagination at work. It is a raucous and immensely enjoyable piece of film-making.
Aiyyaa is an extension of one of Kundalkar's short films, Gandha. Derivative in its absurdity and woman-centrism of Pedro Almadovar's films, at its core is a woman's journey for love and meaning. Kundalkar's world consists of the Deshpande family. A father who smokes three cigarettes at the same time using an antiquated gadget, a son whose only love is street dogs, a blustering grand old lady on a wheelchair, with dark goggles and gold-plated teeth, a daughter, Meenaxi (Rani Mukherjee) who, in her dream world, impersonates Sridevi, Madhuri and Juhi—more real to her than her state of wakefulness, when she loves a man using only her olfactory nerves. This is unlike any Deshpande family of Pune you will meet.
photo
A still from Aiyyaa
The parents are searching for a groom for Meenaxi. To present herself in front of prospective suitors is an unavoidable rigmarole for Meenaxi. At her job, at the arts and crafts department of a local college, she befriends a colleague, Maina (Anita Date), an outrageously dressed, nonsensical bully, who sympathises with her love for Suriya (Prithviraj), a painter and art student in the college who enjoys a notorious reputation. Everyone considers him a drunkard and a druggie, and he never speaks to anyone. Meenaxi is fascinated. Despite her deparate attempts to reach out, he is insolent and indifferent. She follows his smell, which, she is convinced, is the smell of "drugs". Back at home, Meenaxi finally has a suitor, Madhav, a simple man with old-fashioned, safe tastes. Meenaxi is in a dilemma, and is on the throes of a life-altering decision.
Meenaxi is a robust character—a woman trapped by petty familial conditions, angry and yet not overtly rebellious, sexual and colourful in her fantasy. Kundalkar makes both her worlds engaging. The middle-class Indian woman, without much education, but with forbidden dreams. She is known to follow the enigmatic man to his home through unfamiliar routes and sob her eyes out, waiting for him. She is not afraid to love herself and love a man. She belittles anyone who can't appreciate the gaudy and fake world of 1980s Bollywood which she loves.
Kundalkar's visual vocabulary, realized in incandescent details by cinematographer Amalendu Choudary, is a function largely of colour and smell. Paintbrushes soiled by thick coats of electric blue enamel, colour merging into water shot from under the water, heaps of overflowing wet garbage, a haze-inducing fragrance which Meenakshi follows, dizzy in love—these are Kudalkar's refrains in the film. Sex also accentuates his narrative—in most instances, it is liberating and clandestine at the same time.
Mukherjee masters the role. She pitches it with plenty of histrionics—almost no character in Aiyyaa has a 'yes or no' or 'do or die' approach to their bizarre situations Meenakshi is high-pitched, a ball of nervous emotion and rage, and Mukherjee has dived right into her world. It never feels like she has caught the wrong note; she makes Meenaxi not only believable, but extremely likeable. Prithviraj has an ornamental role, the woman's object of love. The supporting cast is made of seasoned actors and they stay true to Kundalkar's over-the-top idiom.
Aiyyaa is triumph because its originality matches the director's assured film-making. Kundalkar is a director with a confident, uninhibited stamp.

http://www.livemint.com/Leisure/VDjFWyRPFE9JMW0Hn6qUAL/Film-Review--Aiyya.html

Hello_kitta thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail

http://www.filmsofindia.com/viewnews-1453

It's raining come-backs what with  RaniPreity ZintaManisha Koirala & Sridevi  making a grand return to the screen, and their fans are extremely excited to know who'll make the biggest impact.

Judging by what I saw in the recently released English Vinglish and the impact that Sridevi has made, let's tell you, the audience whether Anurag Kashyap's & Rani Mukherji's 'Aiyyaa' has done the same.

The movie opens with the introduction of Meenakshi Deshpande and her quirks. Now if you thought the name was too clich, you're in for worse, especially when it comes to the screen depiction of a Maharashtrian family.

An Aai, Baba, Aaji and Bhau with the accents that you've seen time and again on TV come to life here. Rani Mukherjee herself seems to be the older, dark-circled version of 'Babli' from Bunty aur Babli, back with her fascination with cinema and dressing up like a wannabe.

The movie-mash-up in the first ten minutes shows how she aspires to be a part of the cinemas of the 70's and 80's. The story goes on to show how the Despande family is desperately looking for a groom for this 'eligible bachelorette', and that's when the men enter.

The twist in the tale is that according to Meenakshi, South Indians are the 'kaala's, who she is interested in, as against the 'goraa's', who the average girl is interested in. What catches her attention is the tall, dusky and well built Surya essayed by Prithviraj who is from the Malayalam and Tamil cinema. Surya, is the south Indian infatuation or rather obsession of Meenakshi. To add to her problem, she's now engaged to Madhav Rajyadhyaksha- also a Maharashtrian. Madhav is played by Subodh Bhave.

The rest of the movie revolves around the three- Meenakshi, Madhav and Surya, and how Meenakshi seems to be more attracted by even the body odour of Surya.

There are hardly any dialogues for Surya or Subodh, and the Rajadhyaksha and Deshpande families do exactly what real self respecting Maharashtrians don't. You get the gist - We are not too pleased with what we saw ofAiyyaa! It is not even your basic commercial escapist fare, in fact you want to escape from this ridiculous farce of a movie, which is a low iq and leave logic behind load of nonsense. It has characters that could have been moulded  beautifully, but have at best been turned into caricatures. Aiyyaa comes off as sleazy and cheesy with Rani, trying really hard to make a comeback as a full fledged heroine. When you say BBlackYuvaPaheliBunty aur babliHum TumNo one killed Jessica, who comes to mind? A supremely talented Rani Mukherji and after nearly 15 odd years in the industry she has decided to tear down all that hard work, with one fell swoop of an Aiyyaa.

Rani, it seems has made this movie just to showcase her talent and to show that she can do much better thanVidya Balan and belly dance better than Katrina kaif, and well yes she can, but it just seems to lack that bit of class.

The once most popular actress has tried too desperately but the overacting of the 'once-most-popular actress' will leave you disappointed as she goes over the top with the antics, actions, drama and dance. Rani is oozing oomph and energy, but is loud and obnoxious. She seems to have put all her strength or as they say in hindi,' poora zor laga diya hai' to make sure she makes a return as a full-on heroine. Prithviraj is ok, considering he just had to walk around like a stoney eyed zombie with nothing much to say or do.

One can't blame the cast and crew, as being over the top seems to be the brief given to them. Before the movie started they must have sent a memo out to the entire cast that it is a pre-requisite to overact!

The dance sequences by Vailbhavi Merchant are stereotypical, with the grand, Himmatwaala-esque sets of Dreamum Wakeuppum and the lavani song 'Sava Dollar', but having said that 'Dreamum' and 'Aga bai' are the only things that entertain you. Rani's bellydancing is phenomenal but belly shaking alone doesn't fit the bill. Music is functional .The movie has a 80's  feel to it. There was an innovative concept to explore and sure entertainment is what the movie is about, but Aiyyaa is not entertainment but trauma.

Rani, it seems has tried too hard to follow the recent trend of women- centric movies, barring  English Vinglish, that have gone the bold way but this movie is just twisted or 'wakda' in Aiyyaa speak! We are so disappointed in Rani, especially since we know what she is capable of. This quirky flick with its not so funny characters gets no  thumbs up from us.

ViccoTurmeric thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
These are mixed reviews :( 
I want it to be hit for Rani...
Edited by vedant123 - 11 years ago