Debate Mansion
Debate Mansion

India-Forums

The surname fuss: A married woman's predicament! (Page 4)

LOVE_DMG IF-Dazzler
LOVE_DMG
LOVE_DMG

Posted: 10 October 2012 at 6:30pm | IP Logged
i am against this last name, b/c in a way it is treating the women like a property,  as she belongs to that family .
for all  i know im not changing my last name, it my identity , no does my religion force it either.
Forever-KA IF-Rockerz
Forever-KA
Forever-KA

Posted: 12 October 2012 at 7:48am | IP Logged
Originally posted by LOVE_DMG

i am against this last name, b/c in a way it is treating the women like a property,  as she belongs to that family .
for all  i know im not changing my last name, it my identity , no does my religion force it either.

Who is the clown playing basketball in your signature?

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Kai.

Arwen. IF-Sizzlerz
Arwen.
Arwen.

Posted: 12 October 2012 at 7:54am | IP Logged
Karan Singh Grover LOL
Basketball scene is from Dil Mil Gaye ... it went off air a couple of years ago ... 

why did u call him a clown Confused?

Forever-KA

Forever-KA IF-Rockerz
Forever-KA
Forever-KA

Posted: 12 October 2012 at 7:58am | IP Logged

Thanks.

Because he looks like a clown making faces and all that. lol.  It was just my opinion. Sorry if I offended you.

Edited by King-Anu - 12 October 2012 at 7:58am
epiphany. IF-Sizzlerz
epiphany.
epiphany.

Crazy Creative Minion

Posted: 12 October 2012 at 8:24am | IP Logged
The entire concept of last names is absurd to me. The whole idea of a woman having to change her surname to her spouse's is more like an obligation than a choice and that is extremely thick. Besides, even their maiden surnames are essentially their father's in nine out of ten cases. A woman seems to be shackled in this vicious circle of surnames as though she wouldn't have an identity of her own anyway and that it is imperative that she should go either by her father or husband's surname. It is a patriarchal ritual and many times involves unnecessary governmental procedures. She's gotta get her surname changed in her passport, identity card and at the place she works. 

This is a very, very stupid system in my opinion. I will not be changing my surname to the surname of the man I am wedded to in future. Forget man, I'd like to know if there's any way I could quit keeping my old man's surname too. Last names are symbolic of needless binding to people, I don't hold with it, as such.

Edited by Savage - 12 October 2012 at 8:29am
Arwen. IF-Sizzlerz
Arwen.
Arwen.

Posted: 12 October 2012 at 8:29am | IP Logged
Originally posted by King-Anu

Thanks.

Because he looks like a clown making faces and all that. lol.  It was just my opinion. Sorry if I offended you.

I'm not offended Smile I don't particularly like KSG LOL I was just curious LOL
LeadNitrate IF-Veteran Member
LeadNitrate
LeadNitrate

Posted: 12 October 2012 at 1:41pm | IP Logged
 It all depends upon the person. For me my surname is a big issue, I will never change it. I will probably add my husand's surname to it, but thats it. And I probably will not marry into a family or marry a guy whose  fragile ego and whatever depend on the fact whether his wife is taking his surname or not. That being said, its  again a individual's own choice. there are more important issues of identity and place women face on a day to day basis.

epiphany.

ching Goldie
ching
ching

Posted: 12 October 2012 at 11:11pm | IP Logged
In Sikhism a women does not need to change her last name. Because one of the Gurus gave all Sikh men and women one last name. For Men it was Singh and Women it was Kaur. Unfortunately, most Sikhs still blindly follow society's rules and does not know the truth. Many Sikhs uses Singh and Kaur as a middle name when its supposed to be a last name. Therefore, in Sikhim women do not need to change their name because all the women are given the same last name.  

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Kai.rahmona_paksweepiphany.

Go to top