visrom thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago
I understand this is not a movie appreciation forum, but this is a mytho forum and the movie OMG Oh My God gives a different view about God, worship and rituals.

How many of you have watched the movie? If you have not, this is the plot summary.

Could you all post your views on what you feel about the movie and its concept?

Do you believe in God? (I am sure for most of the people on the mytho forum, the answer is a yes...my answer is YES too)

Do you believe in rituals like shradh etc? To what extent?

If God is present everywhere, why do we visit temples or even have a puja room or a specially designated puja area in our house?

Is there any point chanting Sanskrit mantras without understanding the meanings?

Hope this thread gets some traffic.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
thanks for the thread, Vis! I have yet to see the movie so I'm reserving this post for my views after I do, but I was curious to see how it was received by spiritually inclined audiences. 
I was wondering if it resembled Bruce Almighty, even though that was already remade as that Salman movie by David Dhawan which I didn't see and had no intention to. Bruce Almighty, I really enjoyed. I was a lot younger when it was released, but I still appreciated in it the unique and simplified representation of how God does his work - how he hears all our prayers, how he answers them in whichever way is best for us, etc. So did you see it, Vis? Did it manage to come up with any such innovative explanations?
Life_Is_Dutiful thumbnail
I haven't watched the movie yet but after reading the story in wikipedia,i think this movie is NOT against God but against those religious gurus and so called saints who actually fool people in the name of God.In short,we call such people Dhongi babas who loot people's money in the name of poojas and religious activities.Some of these people even corrupt peoples minds against people belonging to other religions and create hatred amongst them for their own benefits.I have read in many newspapers about these babas even raping women.
There is increase in the number of these dhongi babas nowadays.
This film gives this message that one should not believe in such dhongi babas and one can find God through bhakti and good deeds and not by serving such frauds.
Vishakha_Sakhi thumbnail
Thank you for this thread Vis!

I myself haven't watched the movie but I've read about it and just this morning I was watching tv and one of the songs was showing...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=McuZp-fpj4c[/YOUTUBE]

^ This one...it's very touching and thought provoking. It made me wonder what would happen or how would God feel after spending a day on this earth...not that he isn't aware of what is happening...I dunno how to explain it. 🤔

I agree with Shubha...from the looks of it, the movie is showing what is happening now-a-days with everyone following others blindly instead of thinking and understanding for themselves and following their hearts. Everyone is living life in the fast lane, wanting a shortcut for everything even when it comes to worshipping God! 
Today people are more into following "religion" instead of "dharma"...
visrom thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
One very valid point I found is that many people 'fear' God as if He will punish if you don't do something. Akshay Kumar says that God is not someone to 'fear' but someone who's like your friend - who shows you the right path.

Now suppose someone is in the habit of lighting a diya everyday...if they forget to do it, they get scared if God would punish them...but this movie says that God doesn't want us to light a diya and waste oil.

It is a valid point, but still I continue to light the diya because if gives me peace of mind. But I must admit...that if I forget to light the diya some day because I was pre occupied I won't get scared that God will punish me for it...I'll just say 'sorry' in my mind and I am sure HE will accept it. At least this movie has taught me this.
Edited by visrom - 11 years ago
-Nymphadora- thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
The concept this movie has put forward makes sense to a large extent-its not like its insulting the rituals people follows,it just questions if all the stuff that we do to please God-does it REALLY put us on the path that God wants us to follow??

Rituals and Customs act as a medium for us to reach out to God and feel his presence...
eg chanting of a Mantra helps but it had to be done with utmost faith
similarly perfoming a Pooja should be done in a similar fashion

But the most important way to really Reach out to God is to love Him and Love everything and everyone he has made
sadly Rituals have gained prominence today and people forget the very basic concept of Dharma and Shraddha,without which any ritual performed is baseless and useless...

Regarding Gods men-i come from a family where the Swami system is followed rabidly,he is worshiped above God as well,and has very effectively managed to woo all my relatives from following Dharma to making them serve him as thier primary objective in life-it disgusts me,but i wont get into the details,im sure if i do many of youll will be left disgusted!

i have seen things like this closely and it hurts me and saddens me!
my Mom always tells me that God doesnt expect too much from us,he just wants us to be Good People,and with that everything else will follow
he never will hurt those who are Good and follow the path of Dharma

God to me is my best friend,i talk to him and ask for nothing(atleast for myself) because i know that he will manage everything for me
if im unable to keep a vrat i say sorry rather than being scared because i know he will understand
God gave me some really bad days when i was younger,but then he made me fight back and become a stronger and better person today!I will always be greatful for that!

Bottom Line-what OMG teaches you is that God doesnt expect too much form us and neither does he expects us to fear him,he just wants us to be good people and look after the world he made in a way that he looks after us!

Edited by shruti.nil - 11 years ago
ShivangBuch thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: visrom

I understand this is not a movie appreciation forum, but this is a mytho forum and the movie OMG Oh My God gives a different view about God, worship and rituals.

How many of you have watched the movie? If you have not, this is the plot summary.
I have watched it and I must say it is a fantastic movie. I can't find anything in the movie which can be criticized or hated. A strong recommendation for everyone in the forum.

Could you all post your views on what you feel about the movie and its concept?
Like many of the members here have given their views, I will reemphasize those and add a couple of points or concepts covered in the movie:
1) Concept whether God will punish us if we don't follow the rituals or say something against him or doubt his existence...
2) Service of stone vs service of people - Moorty pooja vs Janseva - Formal worship vs Merciful duty
3) Use of monetary and food resources - Charity to temple vs charity to poor
4) Concept of Madhurya Bhav (whether a simple common man can innocently complain about God to God like a son can complain or demand from father?)
5) Who is Naastik???? The one who questions the existence of God (just because he has not experienced God's presence personally) or the one who misconceives and misdirects the concept of God and who apparently believes in him and worships him but whose conscience is very low.
6) All Gods are one and all the religions give common message... Also there are ritualistic limitations and pollution in all religions.
7) Commercialization of God by prominent religious heads and still the movie also shows that all are not like that - there are also true and genuine saints around.
8) And one lesson for Insurance Companies that they should not use the word 'Act of God' in their clauses because the definition of God is boundless (Act of Men is also Act of God)😆🤣.

The movie has exceptional dialogs and debate and timely presence and involvement of Krishna. Just sufficient enough action and rest as observer. The whole concept of the movie and of Krishna and Krishna's philosophy is well thought. And the climax and the Geeta-Bible-Quran idea in the end given is also a master piece of direction. One thing to be pointed out though is that Swami Vivekanand also questioned Moorty pooja earlier and was puzzled by the Saakaar bhakti. But later he saw Saakaar bhakti in Ramkrishna Paramhans who also was great servant of mankind. Vivekanand later on accepted the importance of Moorty too. Here, the very last dialog or the scene in which Krishna says to Kanji "Ab ise taaviz bana kar gale me mat bandhana, badi mushkil se tumne logon ko samjhaya hai ye na karne ke liye" is very interesting. It can be interpreted as "I know you would genuinely keep this symbol of mine with you as my memory with love, but don't do it because you have just established in the minds of people your different image. I don't otherwise have problem with you seeing me in that Pecock feather keychain." I also feel this topic relates us back to one of the debates we had in "9th Avatar of Vishnu" thread regarding Gautam Buddha's philosophy against Moorty pooja. Whether Buddha was Vishnu or not. And Krishna portrayed here in the movie can be Krishna or not. Can Krishna contradict himself in Kaliyug what he himself told in Dwapar yug? That also is the interesting point of discussion which can be continued over here.

Do you believe in God? (I am sure for most of the people on the mytho forum, the answer is a yes...my answer is YES too)
It will be ALL instead of MOST in this forum. 

Do you believe in rituals like shradh etc? To what extent?
Oh yes. To the extent it's scientific and logical and logic is understandable to us or explained to us or its blind obedience doesn't hurt or harm anybody otherwise. But that's not primary and I mostly believe in its science only and don't fear it or don't practically follow it myself other than obeying the pre-established customs of the family. Just obeying it as parents' wish and instruction or grand parents' set norms is just perfectly acceptable for me. In other words, either I know the scientific reason behind a ritual I follow or I just follow it as an obedient member of the family without much head put in it.

If God is present everywhere, why do we visit temples or even have a puja room or a specially designated puja area in our house?
The reason is positive energy. External Satva gun. The atmosphere. God is everywhere. But to connect our mind to God, we need that cosmic connection. We need that positive energy. Satva gun is knowledge. And knowledge that God is in us and in other people and in all things is a scientific reason of temples. Temples are the place where we feel divine energy. The energy of all faithful people gather there. Majority of thoughts of people visiting temple are pure at the time of visiting temple. The substances like dhoop agarbatti, purity of agni (deep/yagnkund), fragrance of flowers and sound of bell enter our senses (eyes, ears & nose) and charge our positive energy within to connect to divine (involved senses drive the mind to pure subjects). But if that essence is lost and when it becomes a rule to be followed such that it is a crime when not followed, it creates orthodoxy and chaos between generations and family members. Personally speaking, I rarely visit a temple, but whenever I do happen to visit it, I always feel divine and blissful.

Is there any point chanting Sanskrit mantras without understanding the meanings?
Yes there is point if they are loudly uttered because they generate scientific vibrations in the universe and create positive energy by sending a particular message (if they are verses) and also create positive energy inside even if uttered in mind (if they are Beejmantras). What I feel though is that you should know the meaning for its effectiveness (or better effectiveness I should say) since basically you order your own mind and your mind sends signals to the universe. If your mind exactly knows what signal it is sending, it can better connect to cosmos. Personally I don't like to recite a Sanskrit verse until I know its meaning but I also believe that it still can have effect without knowing its meaning. It's just boring for me if it is not in my mother tongue or known language and not in chhandas or musical tune that's it. But it can still have effect for sure. Invisible effect howsoever little.

Hope this thread gets some traffic.
Lovely and timely thread. And it has started generating traffic. 👏 👍🏼

Edited by ShivangBuch - 11 years ago
NandiniRaizadaa thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
I have not watched the movie will watch and post my comments
MagadhSundari thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
I saw the movie this weekend and really enjoyed it. Will be back with a proper review and my answers to the questions posted by Vis. Until then, I must say that the highlight for me was the Shivling anecdote that Paresh Rawal's character cited in court - a real eye-opener that I look forward to sharing with my family.
Varnita. thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
Brilliant Movie 👏 I completely enjoyed it and agree each and everything Shown!
A Strong Recommendation to each and everyone in this forum!