Page 1 of 5

Page 1
Page   of 5
Page 2 Page 5

UMDU

IF-Dazzler

UMDU

Posted: 06 October 2012 at 2:21pm | IP Logged
DABH serial never ceases to amaze me.The social message it seeks to convey to the wider audience in a dramatic way is really appreciable.The impact is also likely to be far more than the print media. The presentation of social messages as a part of the story often catches our eyeball. Yesterday with the introduction of Meena's track ,I think they will be taking up the issue of sex determination and female foeticide. Meena may or may not succeed in her efforts to abort her female child but the issue would be brought to the forefront. I know my threads are boring and on serious subjects, but I would like to rephrase the saying' ALL PLAY AND NO WORK CAN ALSO MAKE JACK A DULL BOY'. Just like DABH is a medium of social change,  for me INDIA  FORUMS IS a platform,  where I can express my social views.  Let me again get into my lecture mode.
            We have two festivals coming Durga puja, navratri and Diwali , where on one hand, we worship female goddess Durga and Lakshmi, but on the other hand we have no hesitation in killing a female child or a  female foetus. Is it not hypocritical and ironical that on one hand we worship the power of female dieties  and on the other hand have our hands soaked in blood through these murders.
               When law of nature has ordained that the male female ratio has to be 50 -50 who are we to disturb nature's balance.The existence of this practise has led to acute shortage of girls in states like Haryana ,Rajasthan etc where they do not get brides for marriage and purchase them from Bihar and tribal areas.Girls have become commodities to be bought and sold. Is it not a shame that our society treats girls like cattles and not human beings. What progress are we talking about if this is the extent of degeneration. The high  incidences of rape repeatedly happening in Haryana,  in the last one year is a result of this malaise.

If Sandhya who is always shown as an instrument of change is shown highlightening this problem both of illegal sex determination clinics and aborting of a female foetus ,I would consider it a very great social service by Star Plus. Even if 10 people change their thinking we are already on the path to success. Change takes time to happen but the need of the hour is the awareness to bring about the change,  STAR PLUS CAN LEAD THIS MOVEMENT.Smile

Edited by UMDU - 06 October 2012 at 6:40pm

The following 19 member(s) liked the above post:

suhanilovesdabhsjnpb2011tuh1shehjarDeebzFizakpkaur92sweetycutiefarhana874-Ayeshi-Manjuusitammamaddy311SAIBALROUTH-Amli-TOTAL-ROMANTIC-Liebe-ummesulaiman

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "DABH, as an instrument of change." in Diya Aur Baati Hum forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

-Ayeshi-

IF-Dazzler

-Ayeshi-

Posted: 06 October 2012 at 4:08pm | IP Logged
Nice post Umdu aunty...!!! Clap 
Thanks 4 raising this issue...!!! I also felt the same when saw Meena's concern about her baby's gender...!!! But focus was more on the chit wrote by Sandy...!!! If they show the female foeticide problem it will be a great step to change the view of society by DABH team...!!! They have already kinda shown it why numbers of female r decreasing day by day in the maasa's village track...!!! But they can show it more properly through Meena n her unborn baby...!!! Specially when in Rajasthan this crime is happening more severely ( I came to know about this by Aamir's program)... The show has a great number of viewers...!!! So its possible that DABH team might be able to influence some by raising awareness about female foeticide...!!!

Edited by ayeshi_101 - 06 October 2012 at 4:08pm

The following 12 member(s) liked the above post:

b2011sweetycutieshehjarFizakfarhana874UMDUManjuumaddy311SAIBALROUTH-Amli-ummesulaiman-Liebe-

ummesulaiman

IF-Sizzlerz

ummesulaiman

Posted: 06 October 2012 at 8:36pm | IP Logged

You raise an excellent point UMDU...I thank you for this post...Clap

The sad state of things is that women have been unwanted and down-trodden throughout history in all societies, across cultural boundaries.

Check this out... 

According to Plato...

"It is only males who are created directly by the Gods and are given souls.  Those who live righteously return to the stars, but those who are cowards or live unrighteous lives may with reason be supposed to have changed into the nature of women in the second generation".

According to Aristotle...

"The reason why the man dominates in society is his superior intelligence.  Only the man is a full human being.  The relationship between the male and the female is by nature such that the male is higher, the female is lower, that the male rules and the female is to be ruled".

And these are supposed to be some of the great philosophers...Silly

In the sub-continent...the birth of a female child is often considered to be a burden.  Parents start worrying about the burden of a daughter's dowry from the day she is born.  Sati was a an accepted practice amongst certain Hindu societies even though as you pointed out many female goddesses are worshipped.

In Roman societies...on whose out-dated laws western thinking is based...the husband was seen as the master and women his possession.  Women were subjected to his disposition, to be rewarded or punished as he saw fit.  Forget about being allowed to own property...Dead

Early Jewish culture was no less forgiving...and deprived women from something even as simple as learning to read and write. Ouch

Cultural practices among the Arabs pre-dating the advent of Islam treated women like cattle...to the point that burying newborn baby girls was a common and accepted practice...Angry Angry Angry

What about today?'Confused

After much struggle and campaigning...women gained the right to vote in the USA in 1920, but the country has yet to see a female president.  And...isn't it sad that the better half of 50% of society is labeled by the "Enlightened" West as the weaker sex, and glass-ceilings in terms of job promotions and inequality in educational and income levels still exist.

Is it all about money?  Have we become such a materialistic society?

In the sub-continent a female child is commonly considered to be a financial burden.  One that will have to be clothed, fed, and educated, only to be handed over to her in-laws one day with a large dowry...and not to mention the continuity of gifts with each special occasion. Dead

And of course the girl's family always has to remain subservient in giving respect to the boy's family...otherwise who knows what onsequences their daughter may suffer in her in-laws house..Ouch 

If anyone saw the first episode of Satyamev Jayate...it was shocking how people were using sex-determination to selectively decide whether or not they wanted to keep the baby.  And the majority of these people were educated and from the big cities. Shocked

I think DABH's last episode hinted at this issue in Meena's attitude toward her unborn child.  How refreshing that Vikram wanted a baby daughter...and how sickening that Meena...who is a woman herself is willing to go to any length to have a boy...just so that she may one day become a Saas like Bhabo...and order her bahus around.  How sad that women help to perpetuate incorrect thinking and traditions...especially those that keep women from getting ahead.

Have we forgotten that there is a God and that He is watching all the injustices being done to his beautiful creation...the female? 

I'm sorry if I just rambled on and on...but being a mother of 2 beautiful little girls...this is a very important topic for me...and one of the reasons I love DABH...it is the story of the modern woman struggling to bring enlightenment to her very traditional society.  And also shows the every day man that it's okay for him to stand behind his woman and let her succeed for a change. 

I love how DABH's CV have used their show as a platform to bring such positive messages to their viewing audience.  Even if the thinking of one person is changed for the better...it will have been well worth it. Clap

I'll end my very long bhashan with a beautiful quote from the Hebrew Talmud'.

(This was originally posted in the DSDD forum by a member named Aya...all credit goes to her for  finding this quote)

"Be very careful if you make a woman cry, because God counts her tears. A woman came out of a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on. Not from his head to be superior, but from the side to be equal. Under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved."

Edited by ummesulaiman - 06 October 2012 at 9:45pm

The following 11 member(s) liked the above post:

b2011FizakDeebzfarhana874-Ayeshi-UMDUManjuumaddy311SAIBALROUTH-Amli--Liebe-

Deebz

Goldie

Deebz

Posted: 06 October 2012 at 9:01pm | IP Logged
Excellent post Umdu and great replies. Loved the quote at the end of Fatima's post. Thank you for sharing that.
I am speechless at the so called humans committing these heinous crimes. Although there are laws to help protect these innocent lives, corruption always comes in the way of enforcing them.
Meena's words left a chill in my spine today. Glad to see all the men Vikram, Ankur, Suraj and even Mohit admiring and liking the baby girl.  So disheartening to see women as culprits against their own kind. Ouch

Edited by Deebz - 06 October 2012 at 9:33pm

The following 11 member(s) liked the above post:

b2011Fizakshehjarfarhana874-Ayeshi-UMDUmaddy311SAIBALROUTH-Amli-ummesulaiman-Liebe-

UMDU

IF-Dazzler

UMDU

Posted: 06 October 2012 at 9:28pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by ummesulaiman

You raise an excellent point UMDU...I thank you for this post...Clap

The sad state of things is that women have been unwanted and down-trodden throughout history in all societies, across cultural boundaries.

Check this out... 

According to Plato...

"It is only males who are created directly by the Gods and are given souls.  Those who live righteously return to the stars, but those who are cowards or live unrighteous lives may with reason be supposed to have changed into the nature of women in the second generation".

According to Aristotle...

"The reason why the man dominates in society is his superior intelligence.  Only the man is a full human being.  The relationship between the male and the female is by nature such that the male is higher, the female is lower, that the male rules and the female is to be ruled".

And these are supposed to be some of the great philosophers...Silly

In the sub-continent...the birth of a female child is often considered to be a burden.  Parents start worrying about the burden of a daughter's dowry from the day she is born.  Sati was a an accepted practice amongst certain Hindu societies even though as you pointed out many female goddesses are worshipped.

In Roman societies...on whose out-dated laws western thinking is based...the husband was seen as the master and women his possession.  Women were subjected to his disposition, to be rewarded or punished as he saw fit.  Forget about being allowed to own property...Dead

Early Jewish culture was no less forgiving...and deprived women from something even as simple as learning to read and write. Ouch

Cultural practices among the Arabs pre-dating the advent of Islam treated women like cattle...to the point that burying newborn baby girls was a common and accepted practice...Angry Angry Angry

What about today?'Confused

After much struggle and campaigning...women gained the right to vote in the USA in 1920, but the country has yet to see a female president.  And...isn't it sad that the better half of 50% of society is labeled by the "Enlightened" West as the weaker sex, and glass-ceilings in terms of promotions and inequality in educational and income levels still exist.

Is it all about money?  Have we become such a materialistic society?

In the sub-continent a female child is commonly considered to be a financial burden.  One that will have to be clothed, fed, and educated, only to be handed over to her in-laws one day with a large dowry'and not to mention the continuity of gifts with each special occasion. Dead

And of course the girl's family always has to remain subservient in giving respect to the boy's family...otherwise who knows what onsequences their daughter may suffer in her in-laws house..Ouch 

If anyone saw the first episode of Satyamev Jayate...it was shocking how people were using sex-determination to selectively decide whether or not they wanted to keep the baby.  And the majority of these people were educated and from the big cities. Shocked

I think DABH's last episode hinted at this issue in Meena's attitude toward her unborn child.  How refreshing that Vikram wanted a baby daughter...and how sickening that Meena...who is a woman herself is willing to go to any length to have a boy...just so that she may one day become a Saas like Bhabo...and order her bahus around.  How sad that women help to perpetuating incorrect thinking and traditions...especially those that keep women from getting ahead.

Have we forgotten that there is a God and that He is watching all the injustices being done to his beautiful creation'the female? 

I'm sorry if I just rambled on and on...but being a mother of 2 beautiful little girls...this is a very important topic for me...and one of the reasons I love DABH...it is the story of the modern woman struggling to bring enlightenment to her very traditional society.  And also shows the every day man that it's okay for him to stand behind his woman and let her succeed for a change. 

I love how DABH's CV have used their show as a platform to bring such positive messages to their viewing audience.  Even if the thinking of one person is changed for the better...it will have been well worth it. Clap

I'll end my very long bhashan with a beautiful quote from the Hebrew Talmud'.

(This was originally posted in the DSDD forum by a member named Aya...all credit goes to her for  finding this quote)

"Be very careful if you make a woman cry, because God counts her tears. A woman came out of a man's rib. Not from his feet to be walked on. Not from his head to be superior, but from the side to be equal. Under the arm to be protected, and next to the heart to be loved."

Simply wonderful post .I too have two daughters who are the apple of my eyes .They are doing extremely well in life and are in no way less than any son be it intelligence or otherwise. As you rightly pointed out, discrimination exists across the board and in Indian societies most of the times it is the woman who is a woman's biggest enemy. I while writing the post was apprehensive of being accused of writing on boring subjects and spoiling a pleasant Sunday morning. I was expecting a lot of brickbats from other members.I am so happy that you responded to my post in detail. Since it is a man who has written all the holy scriptures in all religions,  his domination has been established .It is going to be a long battle but I am optimistic we will see the light of the day. Thank you once again.Have a nice weekend.

Edited by UMDU - 06 October 2012 at 9:31pm

The following 10 member(s) liked the above post:

b2011Fizakfarhana874-Ayeshi-Manjuumaddy311SAIBALROUTH-Amli-ummesulaiman-Liebe-

ummesulaiman

IF-Sizzlerz

ummesulaiman

Posted: 06 October 2012 at 9:40pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by UMDU

Simply wonderful post.I too have two daughters who are the apple of my eyes .They are doing extremely well in life and are in no way less than any son be it intelligence or otherwise.As you rightly pointed out, discrimination exists across the board and in Indian societies most of the times it is the woman who is a woman's biggest enemy.I while writing the post was apprehensive of being accused of writing on boring subjects and spoiling a pleasant Sunday morning.I was expecting a lot of brickbats from other members.I am so happy that you responded to my post in detail.Since it is a man who has created all the holy scriptures in all religions his domination has been established in all.It is going to be a long battle but I am sure we will see the light of the day.

@red: I agree.  And this is the worst thing.  And it's so illogical if you think about it...I mean if bad was done to you...why would you want to turn around and make sure worse is done to the next person?  I mean...Who are you getting even with?...Certainly not your own abuser.  Instead you are stooping down to their level...and taking their place...Silly

@ purple:  this I beg to differ from you..Ermm...holy scripture..at least in Islam...is believed to be revealed form God Himself...but yes...I will say that man has always interpreted it and twisted it to serve his own personal means.

@green:  I love thought provoking posts...they go perfect with DABH...a very thought provoking show...Big smile.  So...rest assured ...you certainly didn't spoil my Sunday morning...actually it's still only Saturday night in the USA where I live...LOL 

b2011Fizakshehjar-Ayeshi-farhana874UMDUmaddy311SAIBALROUTH-Amli--Liebe-

UMDU

IF-Dazzler

UMDU

Posted: 06 October 2012 at 9:46pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Deebz

Excellent post Umdu and great replies. Loved the quote at the end of Fatima's post. Thank you for sharing that.
I am speechless at the so called humans committing these heinous crimes. Although there are laws to help protect these innocent lives, corruption always comes in the way of enforcing them.
Meena's words left a chill in my spine today. Glad to see all the men Vikram, Ankur, Suraj and even Mohit admiring and liking the baby girl.  So disheartening to see women as culprits against their own kind. Ouch

Thank you Deebz for your words of encouragement. This is what I like about our DABH they are able to raise many social issues through the main story line.I am very hopeful it will have an impact. Despite being a serious subject you took time to read it and encourage me,I AM THANKFUL TO YOU FOR THAT.

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

b2011FizakDeebz-Ayeshi-maddy311SAIBALROUTH-Amli--Liebe-

maddy311

IF-Rockerz

maddy311

Posted: 06 October 2012 at 10:38pm | IP Logged
Yeah definitely this is the next track to spread awareness about female foeticide. Some other shows have also shown this but I am sure DABH will have the best way to give this message.
UMDU aunty you have forgotten the state of punjab which also has low sex ratio and belonging to punjab myself I feel so bad to read thisUnhappy
Although in this decade the numbers have improved vastly for punjab registering highest growth in child sex ratio and fifth in overall increase of sex ratio, still the numbers are dismal.
Definitely shows like DABH which reach millions of homes everyday, they make a huge impact on the mindset of people. I really hope with shows like this and government taking good steps to spread awareness, people start treating boys and girls equally and this evil of female foeticide ends permanently from our societySmile

b2011FizakManjuuUMDUfarhana874-Ayeshi--Amli-ummesulaimanSAIBALROUTH-Liebe-

Post Reply New Post

Go to top