Debate Mansion

did India move away from Gandhism? (Page 5)

Post Reply New Post

Page 5 of 15

sub_rosa

IF-Dazzler

sub_rosa

Posted: 10 October 2012 at 3:21am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Polki_Zofi

I dont think you quite getting me Smile. But its OK. You are right that inventions and research are a global asset, but as long as the world exist, name like Einstein the German Scientist and Kopernicus the Pole, or Newton the English will remain forever. So will Gandhi the Indian's name. No one can dissociate or belittle it. Infact, these minds brought pride to their nations and gave the world gifts which have made it better.

I wish you best of luck, but remember that India still is best known for Gandhi. More than even Taj Mahal. A wonderful soul to have touched humanity. We hope we can learn much from him.

@Blue: Not true. I agree that scientists bring glory to their countrymen. But the nature of their work is such that it transcends narrow boundaries of ethnic identity. We were talking about Gandhi's resistance to Western technology. My argument has to be seen in that context. The culture or 'national identity' is not an ossified concept. It is something that evolves all the time. The day it stops doing that it will be dead. If we look back at history, we will see that this process of evolution is engendered by contacts with alien cultures and absorption of new ideas. It has happened to every single country in this world. So the resistance to new technology, something that facilitates life is like thwarting this organic process. I do not find it very reasonable. 

@Green: Thank you. All the best to you as well. It was nice talking to you. I know that the Western countries nurture certain stereotypical ideas about India, Taj Mahal, Gandhi, beggars, elephants, tigers, snakes, Maharajas and rope-tricks. I find it quite amusing.LOL

Edited by sub_rosa - 10 October 2012 at 3:30am

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "did India move away from Gandhism? (Page 5)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Polki_Zofi

Polki_Zofi

Posted: 10 October 2012 at 5:19am | IP Logged
I don't dream of Maharaja and rope trick anymore Smile. But I saw much beggers (small children), and I think there are many tiger and snakes in India (according to all the channels and books). Tajmahal is there in India, and Gandhi is more universal than just Indian. I think everything we think is not so wrong is it? WinkSmile

Culture evolves with time, but it evolves in its own realm. A rose plant can grow from small to big, and then give a small bud and later blossom. But in none of its stage did it become another tree other than a rose plant. This is my point. Indian culture in its city and town is not its own culture, but it tries to be something else, forgetting those little begger children and many other things like garbage everywhere.

I wish well for India as it accepts its way. Adopting new technology is different from adopting another culture. Why you think Russian, Italian or Polish do not resemble English, Japanese, Chinese or Indian culture? Maybe in some cultural show or costume event, but never in formal or casual life everyday.

sub_rosa

IF-Dazzler

sub_rosa

Posted: 10 October 2012 at 8:34am | IP Logged
I admit that my statement was generalized and hyperbolic. Surely there are many Westerners who know and love India more than the Indians. Yes, of course there is some truth in these stereotypes. But the problem is that these stereotypes overtly simplify a complex phenomenon. It gets really annoying after a point.

The process of acculturation is not the same as copying other cultures and becoming like them. Acculturation means the exchange of ideas between cultures and then developing those ideas/features in their own distinctive ways. It has happened everywhere. Indian culture is one of the oldest and most vibrant cultures in the world. And it has survived till date because it was able to change itself with time, enriching and strengthening itself with all that the other civilizations had to offer, never losing its own essence. And let me tell you again, this is the exact same way the other cultures of the world have evolved too. 
There were always cities in India throughout the length and breadth of history, the extant ones being nearly 4000 years old. So it is not factually correct to say that only the villages represent India or that the cities were established due to Western influences. The city-culture is (and always was) also an integral part of India. And in this age of globalization, most big cities around the world look pretty much the same, the youngsters wear pretty much the same clothes, and speak in pretty much the same language. That is how the world has evolved. The Indian cities still have a lot of cultural particularities though (apart from the beggars, the garbage and the bullock-cartsLOL) that set them apart from other metros of the world.

Edited by sub_rosa - 10 October 2012 at 8:50am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

LeadNitrate

Pratamesh

IF-Dazzler

Pratamesh

Posted: 11 October 2012 at 10:57am | IP Logged
Would like to clarify a few facts regarding indian independence struggle and role of gandhi people said gandhi used non-violence,its was gandhi who told indian soldier's to fight alongside british during WW2 how was he supposed to be non-violent when he is sending his countrymen to die for another country secondly it was nt gandhi's so called non-violent movements which forced england to leave india bt it was the mutiny in the indian navy and army which happend becoz the prisoner's of war from Subhash chandra bose's army wer nt given fair trail n sentenced to death which angered the indian army soldier's who used to work for british in india. This has been stated by the then prime minister of england in his official interview that gandhi's role was minimal in independence,n it was the mutiny in bombay from which england realised that without the help of indian soldier's they wont b able to control india

Edited by Pratamesh - 11 October 2012 at 11:10am

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

LeadNitrate

guess_wh0

IF-Dazzler

Posted: 11 October 2012 at 4:18pm | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

Forever-KA

IF-Rockerz

Forever-KA

Posted: 12 October 2012 at 7:55am | IP Logged
At his point in debate, I think it would be safe to conclude that top 3 believers in Gandhism are following

- Miss Polki - The ice lady from Poland
- King Anu- His Highness from Pakistan
- Mr. Zorro- The magician from India

Now this is troubling lol.

Edited by King-Anu - 12 October 2012 at 7:54am

LeadNitrate

Viewbie

LeadNitrate

Posted: 12 October 2012 at 1:19pm | IP Logged
Mahatma Gandhi is still referred as Mahatma or Bapu by us, even when we are criticising him, so he is still revered. But he is human, so he has done a lot of mistakes, some of which he accepted in his lifetime only. So he is not above criticism. And other freedome fighters are equally  respected in India, their sacrifice, their contribution revered . You know it now, after 60 yrs simply because the world is a smaller place now with information at the tip of your finger.

Subhas Bose and HIter: Bose was simply looking for an ally to fight British. To that end, he did not conclude any deal with him even, they just had talks. So Why can he not be respected? The US dropped a nuclear bomb on Japan and were allies of British. 3 generations of Japanese suffered and still suffer from the aftereffects, I don't see any condemntion there.

The holocaust : It was horrifying . But India suffered  a huge and equally revolting  genocide during the Partition of India. Something which was largely fault of Gandhi as well. He gave in to petty politics and egoes of inept people like the Nehrus and Jinnah and sidelined strong leaders. So pardon us for not putting  him up on a pedestral and worshipping him day in and day out as you expected to be But we , exotic Indians, are still a lot considerate and sensible people and do not judge someone by half baked knowledge. 
Hence he still remains father of the nation and Mahatma, even when he had done his fair share of mistakes that altered lives of millions of people.

half baked knowledge is very dangerous.

PS: I love kiplings jungle book. But he also famously said:

East is east and west is west and the twain shall never meet.

So I don't really take him more seriously than the author of the Jungle Book.

@ Topic Opener: its an nice and good book. I like your choice.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

sub_rosa-Chandramukhi-

LeadNitrate

Viewbie

LeadNitrate

Posted: 12 October 2012 at 1:27pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sub_rosa

Originally posted by Polki_Zofi

I wish you best of luck, but remember that India still is best known for Gandhi. More than even Taj Mahal. A wonderful soul to have touched humanity. We hope we can learn much from him.

@Green: Thank you. All the best to you as well. It was nice talking to you. I know that the Western countries nurture certain stereotypical ideas about India, Taj Mahal, Gandhi, beggars, elephants, tigers, snakes, Maharajas and rope-tricks. I find it quite amusing.LOL

I have to differ with both of you here and offer another perspective as a 21st century indian born and brought up in India till bachelor education , I finished my higher education in germany and I currently reside there.

Europeans in general know a lot more about India, ground realities and a lot less of Gandhi. I can vouch for that, I live and work among them.  infact Gandhi is not the best known thing from India, its Kamasutra.LOL

People do have internet these days and they know a lot more than we think we do. Indians about the world and the world about Indians. very few people have misguided ideas about the world outside and their number is fast depleting.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

sub_rosa-Chandramukhi-

Post Reply New Post

Go to top