Debate Mansion

did India move away from Gandhism? (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 15

Page 1
Page   of 15
Page 3 Page 15

Al.Iz.Wel

Al.Iz.Wel

Posted: 05 October 2012 at 1:52pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by Polki_Zofi

return_to_hades, I didnt mean to hurt anyone. Dont be hurt please.

King_anu, you make a very good point. I had a map of India in school and there was money and elephant drawn on it. The elephant was so cute. These days the same map is there for children. For Japan there is the picture of rising sun I think, etc. But my impression came from a Russian Telenovela which showed an Indian soldier with turban speaking of his country with such things.

I would like to visit Pakistan too, I am sure no such taliban are everywhere. I came to India only due to my husband and in laws in there. Since my childhood I never thought or investigated about India, so I remained with that same old image forever. Maybe if I investigated or had more personal interest in the country then I would know more before I visited it Smile.

This is the first book my son will read when he grow up a little more :
I loved this book and the movie of it too.

The point was about Gandhi and India. If I am not mistaken, Pakistan is also greater India and another country Bangladesh. You all are ethnically Indian right? Forgive me if I am wrong.

Hii...Ethinically Indian, that is what i felt about after knowing the formation of Bangladesh and Pakistan, Part Bengal and Part Punjab.

I'l think of it for ever i guess why Gandhi should be seen in such a limelight. Why should he be a celebrated role model for the younger generations of india. For the kind of deeds he has done?
He may have taken a stance that no indian would have imagined or wondered to take
but did it yield results deserving?

He always fought for the most of the time for dominion status and the queen of England has been made a honorary citizen of India post independence..thats just bash how can an invader be given knighthood in Indian terms?

India has not acheived freedom because of the struggle led by Gandhi but it happend as the english were unable to handle themselves after world war 2

And You say about Poland having 3 standout figures.. Guess there is only only one lanfuage in poland but in india thousands and each section hav a standout leader
who shoulld be rated highly and on what parameters?

Edited by Al.Iz.Wel - 05 October 2012 at 1:53pm

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

LeadNitrate

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "did India move away from Gandhism? (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

King-Anu

IF-Rockerz

King-Anu

Posted: 05 October 2012 at 5:31pm | IP Logged

The point was about Gandhi and India. If I am not mistaken, Pakistan is also greater India and another country Bangladesh. You all are ethnically Indian right? Forgive me if I am wrong.

Before partition in 1947, the British India (occupied by British) had current Pakistan and Bangladesh as well. Later Pakistan and India came into existence when British were kicked out in 1947. Furthermore, 25-30 years later I believe, East Pakistan separated from Pakistan and became what is Bangladesh.

Many people do not know that there is an organization called SAARC which has seven members India, Pakistan, Srilanka, Bangladesh, Nepal, Bhutan and Maldives. Together they are called south asia.

@ ethnicity. If you get too specific then you have many many ethnicities in India alone and 5-6 major ehtnicites in Pakistan. They differ by language, food, dress code, culture and many little things. Then there are those who basically say we are one ethnicity as we have more in common than in difference. Your husband might be able to put more light on these issues specially about India.

Edited by King-Anu - 05 October 2012 at 5:45pm

Fair-n-luvly

kavyasam

IF-Rockerz

kavyasam

Posted: 05 October 2012 at 6:43pm | IP Logged
India is and was like it is now even Before Gandhi.  There were wars, voilence then and now.  Gandhi ji teachings are also followed by few. But they are not principles or guidelines for all Indians.  While I respect Gandhi ji ' ways I also like Bhagat Singh and Subash Chandra Bose's ways. 

I worked in Red Cross once, and the lady ustairs had Gandhi 's picture on her table. He is reverred everywhere.

India is considered backward by many still. My son got home a shcolostic news letter last year and the description of India is as a poor country with lot of snakes.  I guess unless a person lives in a said country or takes time to learn about that country there will be limited knowledge about its potential.

Fair-n-luvly

Vinzy

IF-Stunnerz

Vinzy

Posted: 06 October 2012 at 1:24am | IP Logged

The nonsectarian and nonviolent teachings of Gandhi seem to be sidelined in India nowadays. He had another great quality of sacrifice and humble living. He taught people to be content.

Since learning about India closely, I felt that a growing segment of people wish to disregard his values and wish to follow a more materialistic life. Is it really something that ever helped this nation?

In Europe still some children think of India as a country of elephants and monkeys with many jungles and tigers Smile, so did I once (there is Tajmahal too!). If there is anything beyond that, in school we come across Gandhi. Gandhi is a great figure outside of India, but do you Indians think he is equally revered inside India by its new generation? Does this help India and its evolving culture and values?

I certainly doubt it. But my knowledge of India is still confined to one visit only, and I met people within my extended family mostly, with some of my husband's friends from outside the family Smile. Indian women still have not much respect and it is my personal perception, they also remain malnourished. This is something Gandhi wanted to abolish too I think, he wanted a simple yet content life for the Indians.

I wish India was like I once imagined, it was so exotic.Embarrassed

Gandhiji in great esteem as a human being and he was a gr8 man with his principles...currently people remember him on patriotic occasions only...He believed in religion but criticized rituals...He asked if any one has any objection Gandhi ji kept quite because of his Maun upvas... He could have refrained frm attending the meeting or written down a "Protest" or "not approved" etc...and thus he gave a silent approval to the division of India...Now a days Gandhism as a status symbol  nothing more!

zorrro

Goldie

zorrro

Posted: 06 October 2012 at 3:38am | IP Logged

Gandhi is revered the world over. His priciple of truth and non violence are relevant even today. People are usually self centred and materialistic , vindictive and jealous by nature. It would be difficult to follow Gandhi's life style or his principles. That by no means makes Gandhi wrong or less revered. There were a number of freeom fighters in India but it was Gandhi who managed to bring together people across the religious, class, caste differences.

Asking why Bose or Bhagat Singh wasnt given equal status is nothing new. When Prof Higgs was being felicitated after the Cern experiments on Higgs boson particle  we had similar bickerings as it was felt that Satyendra Nath Bose should have been similarly honored if not more.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

peridot.Angel-likeDevil

Polki_Zofi

Polki_Zofi

Posted: 06 October 2012 at 9:14am | IP Logged
I love Gandhi principals and values! I know many don't agree in India and it is a little surprising also painful (to foreigners eyes I guess).

I dont know why some Indians feel so bad if people from outside world want to see them in their true natural beauty Smile. The world don't have so much as India. The history and culture, so much color. Also the poor and malnourished in India makes a person feel obligated to think beyond self. India is a great lesson.

I saw some Indian women and their condition was not too well. I know others are better, but she was a wife and we all ate white she cooked and served, and should eat when all would complete their food. She looked so thin and weak, her face seem malnourishedOuch

I came India just once and briefly, but I am eager to know more. My husband speak less, but tells me about India which is more urban. But most of India is not urbanized, and this I hope oneday I can see.

Angel-likeDevil

IF-Sizzlerz

Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 06 October 2012 at 12:41pm | IP Logged
I'd say that wise words, wise people are everywhere... people appreciate them, but lets face it. It's a material world. In the end everyone does what they want. This is more to do with human nature..

I actually think, why would you want to go as far as Gandhi ji, every parent in home teaches their children how to be righteous, how to not go astray and all... does anyone follow it perfectly, as they are told and taught??

No body takes things taught in their family itself seriously...and Gandhi ji is someone faraway.

But, I'd like to add one more point too. The Constitution of India has certain Gandhian principles(some Directive Principles of State Policy) The govt. atleast while making policies does keep all these principles in mind... but the fault occurs in implementation and maintenance of the policy . I'll give you certain examples of Gandhian principles which are taken seriously, and some others which arent...

1 - Establishment of Local Self-governing bodies... this is a very serious issue, that govt is tackled and is still tackling with.. this is actually a brilliant one, that is issential for inclusive growth.

2 - Education and economic assistance for children/families from weaker sections... yes, this is a burning issue in the nation and there has some little progress... in snail's pace.

3 - Promotion of cottage industries... there are very few surviving cottage industries today. Frankly speaking, I wont be surprised if they will be washed out in 5-10 years because, it's impossible for them to survive... high costs, low demand...  what more can the govt do than provide subsidies/promote when most people wont buy their services?

4 - Prohibition of liquor, tobacco etc... LMAO! Liquor and cigarette industries are FLOURISHING industries in the nation.

So... as you can see, the first two principles were like evergreen ones. They are essential for the growth, survival of the nation. The last two are also very wise principles but, they just arent feasible in the real world, in the 21st century.
The ones like economic growth, literacy, protection of women rights, local self-governing bodies are much real, much needed. The govt is working on it, it is passing bills and making it's efforts to upgrade the society, to protect it's people... just that the country is highly populous, the religion is dominant, the patriarchial society, male dominance, child marriages,  is still accepted. The people(most) are themselves complacent with the existing studpidity and low values that hinder the progress of the nation. Consititution provisions, wise men's words are all there... but, it is the man that has to change... which isnt happening. (this includes the lazy incumbent govt. officials too!)

Coming to culture ...it's an ever changing thing. The culture you are talking about was prolly 100 years ago's culture. Yes, there are people that have horrendous fashion sense and move like they belong to some culture, which looks completely hollow. Yes, there are people without any ethical values, and all. But this is 2012. These people are Indians. People 'own' certain type of culture, some 'principles', values. Today is what culture is, whether it looks too gaudy or too plain or too shallow too imitative and un-original according to you and me. It's pitiful that many people have no originality, or any ethical values and aesthetic sense... but, that's the way people are. No Gandhi can reach out for them, their own parents cannot!

Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 06 October 2012 at 12:46pm

Angel-likeDevil

IF-Sizzlerz

Angel-likeDevil

Posted: 06 October 2012 at 12:54pm | IP Logged

I saw some Indian women and their condition was not too well. I know others are better, but she was a wife and we all ate white she cooked and served, and should eat when all would complete their food. She looked so thin and weak, her face seem malnourishedOuch

I came India just once and briefly, but I am eager to know more. My husband speak less, but tells me about India which is more urban. But most of India is not urbanized, and this I hope oneday I can see.

There are all kinds of people in India today! Although 70% of them belong to the rural.

The 'tradition' is... woman cooks, serves everyone and eats in the end after everyone's done. This is followed by my grandmothers, even untill all their children got married and brought home daughter-in-laws... luckily they are healthy ladies and my grandparents were the last ones to have played such roles as women they were!  

So, this is the rich Indian culture. The woman has always been looked down upon.. she herself accepted it.

Edited by Angel-likeDevil - 06 October 2012 at 12:54pm

Post Reply New Post

Go to top