Suggestions / Comments

A humble suggestion. - Page 3

Freethinker112 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Well, I can suggest various ways, but it depends how much security you want. The more hard you wanna make it for others to pass this as their own work, the more work it will take.

First of all, a screenshot can be taken of anything. If you can view it, you can take a screenshot. Therefore it doesn't matter which format you use for text, someone can simply take a screenshot and post it elsewhere. But they won't be editable easily. If someone is gonna put an effort, they can still convert image to text by OCR and edit it but most won't want to put that much work. 

The best route I will suggest is to use repeating watermarks. It is a method of filling whole of your text with watermarks. You can make it nearly transparent and it will become very subtle. If someone posts it then, it will contain the author's name and/or IF name as you wish.

The way you could achieve this is to type it in word. Then use a software that will automatically turn the document into images. Now, you have two ways. Either you can apply watermark individually to each images but it will be very time consuming. So, the better path is to first create an image with the repeated watermark pattern. And then you could add the image as picture watermark in Word. And then when you will convert the document into images, it will be with repeated watermark all over the text.

An example of what I am talking about.

Of course this is just and example and you may change the orientation, color, transparency according to your wishes.

Hope this helps.

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Freethinker112 thumbnail
Created a rough draft of what I was suggesting. Yes, you can make it better, it's something I just threw together in 10 minutes. 😆

Tani2804 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 5
This content was originally posted by: Freethinker112

Created a rough draft of what I was suggesting. Yes, you can make it better, it's something I just threw together in 10 minutes. 😆

Dats like a nice idea n  it cn b  easily implemented ...

n i had d doubt of readability but readability is fyn wid ur techinique👍🏼

PS:U made dis watermark using MS WORD or ny other s/w???
Edited by tani23 - 11 years ago
Freethinker112 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: tani23

Dats like a nice idea n  it cn b  easily implemented ...

n i had d doubt of readability but readability is fyn wid ur techinique👍🏼

PS:U made dis watermark using MS WORD or ny other s/w???

Made the watermark using Photoshop. And then used that picture as Watermark in Word. 
Freethinker112 thumbnail
Should I put up a complete tutorial? 😊
Xarina thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
Thank you freethinker.  Ishan had already spoken about the watermark insertion.  He said they had tried that and the copy cats just copied it anyway.  While it is true that if anyone is going to copy word for word themselves they will do.  I just don't want our people to feel cheated all the time.  If there is a way to put the originators name in the document that can't be altered at least it will be something.
Freethinker112 thumbnail
This content was originally posted by: Xarina

Thank you freethinker.  Ishan had already spoken about the watermark insertion.  He said they had tried that and the copy cats just copied it anyway.  While it is true that if anyone is going to copy word for word themselves they will do.  I just don't want our people to feel cheated all the time.  If there is a way to put the originators name in the document that can't be altered at least it will be something.

Then watermark is the way to go. Just embedding metadata about author will do you no good, as someone can simply convert each page to image and then post the images and you will get no credit. A subtle watermark, like the one I posted, will ensure that everyone knows about the source. They can't edit that out without harming text.
-Jitu- thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Hi Xarina...

Have you ever tried websites like scribd?

You can write updates in a pdf, make it read only and then upload it to scribd.

Even from that website you can make your documents read only. People can only read it...they can't download or copy text from it. You can also change copyright settings to Traditional Copyright: All right reserved. It'll make your documents legally yours.

And if you are looking for something professional then you should obtain a digital signature which you can attach to your document.

tbh I don't like watermarks on documents, but may be its just me.
Freethinker112 thumbnail
That's why I said you will be trading ease for protection. Someone can screenshot from Scribd but honestly it will be your work which will be spreading. But you won't get the credit. But that's bottom line. Whatever you do, someone will find a way to copy. If you are determined to have the work recognized as your own, watermarking is the only option.

I too don't like watermarks nor do many people but that's where you have to decide what is more important to you. The ease of your readers or the protection of your content.
Edited by Freethinker112 - 11 years ago