S08E01: We need to talk about Kevin: An analysis

Posted: 11 years ago
Hi guys, this is Aanya for those who don't know me and I was originally going to post this in the CC but I felt I should inaugruate this forum 😆

I just watched the first episode of Season 8 and here's what I thought. Also, if you haven't gathered this by now, this post has SPOILERS.

Jensen as always was fabulous. Every expression, every bit of that anger, that betrayal he felt because Sam didn't look for him was portrayed perfectly, like seriously. I also think the flashbacks were really well done when it came to Dean. The whole purgatory thing was shown so well! You could practically see Dean looking across his shoulder to see if someone was going to follow him or w/e. That jumpy, edgy thing was something I really liked.

And the same goes for Jared. He was absolutely spot on. You could see the longing he felt for going back to his hunting free life but at the same time he was obviously elated at Dean being back and then there's the guilt that surfaced because he didn't look for his brother at all. So kudos to Jared, really. This episode was as much about Sam as Dean except Sam's storyline was a lot more muted and less gory. But yeah, J2 knocked the ball out of the park, I swear.

Also I loved the way they made Cas' presence felt all the time even though Misha wasn't actually there. From Dean asking "Where's the Angel?" in purgatory, to Crowley asking the same thing, we're constantly reminded of Cas being trapped (maybe) in purgatory. I'd really love to see where they go with that, because I think Cas is such an amazing character. And not because I'm one of Misha's minions LOL. I really like Cas because of his restrained personality, you know? Sam and Dean are a force of nature but Cas' character is muted but no less righteous/resilient. I can't wait to see if Purgatory finally broke him or did he, like Dean become a man possessed by his nightmares and his need to save people.

Coming to saving people, my god but Dean is one damaged son of a bitch. That conversation between Sam and Dean? It absolutely showed it when Dean (sort of) judged Sam for not hunting because people died. I mean he has to be seriously damaged if he thinks that because peopledie all the time. And Dean has this weight on his shoulders all the time, that he has to save people, like it's his responsibility.
Remember that episode(s) where we get to see the brothers' version of Heaven? Dean's was of family, of unconditional love, of togetherness of being part of a unit. Dean craves family which is basically where his save everyone complex stems from, in my opinion.

Sam on the other hand, isn't like that. Which is why I don't blame him from abandoning Kevin. In previous episodes whenever we've seen Sam's version of Heaven, it always shows Sam going in a different direction than his family, of him being independent and I think that's what makes Sam, Sam. He has a longing to be independent and be his own person, not being possessed by a demon, not hunting monsters, nothing.

Which is why Sam doesn't have the same, we-must-save-everyone complex that Dean does, you know? I think the main reason (and he pretty much said so) for Sam joining Dean in hunting in the first place was love for family and revenge. Not saving the world. So I think when all his family left/died he withdrew himself from hunting and anything that came with it.

Also Sam leaving Kevin made Kevin so much more capable, stronger and just better. He's matured quite a bit and lost that innocence about everything in the world being good. He's kind of got a potential hunter mentality seeing as how he chose to save the word of God and not his girlfriend. That shows a lot. An 18 year old kid who's meant to be attending Princeton for christ sake, is now a prophet and defending himself.

Also I think if Sam had saved Kevin, he'd have been sucked back into the whole mess, you know? Of demons etc because we know that the demons never backed off. I mean, the one possessing Kevin's girlfriend proved that. So yeah, I don't judge Sam for "betraying" Dean.

As for new characters, there's only two, as of now. Amelia and Benny.
I have nothing to say (so far) about Amelia and the whole bit where Sam freaks out because he hit a dog...I didn't quite get that, to be honest and so I'm going to reserve judgement on Sam and his lady love 😆

Benny! I love Benny. I think he makes for an amazing gray character. It's actually really odd to see this rapport that Dean shares with Benny because Benny is a creature. Something Dean would have once hunted. Also I think it was a little obvious to see that Dean didn't want to keep in touch with Benny the way Benny did. I'm not saying it's spite on Dean's part, he did hug Benny and all, he probably doesn't want to explain to Sam why he's bros with a guy back from purgatory 😆 So yeah, I'm looking forward to see where this Benny thing goes, whether he bites Dean in the ass or do they actually help each other. I also have a hunch (and I'm probably wrong LOL) about Benny having some connection with Crowley. I don't know. Crowley always seems to be behind all this so this whole getting Dean and his +1 out of purgatory was his thing. Who knows.

If you've read this far, kudos to you and drop in your thoughts because I'd love to discuss with you guys <3 :)

xoxo

P.S - I know I pretty much talked only about the serious stuff, but the comic timing (not that there was much) was amazing and the soundtrack ohmygod. These guys have the most gorgeous songs I swear! So fitting <3
Edited by Aanya. - 11 years ago
Edit :

Ditto! Can I just copy-paste my topic here? ðŸ¤” lol no, I wish to stay alive to watch the rest of the season. ðŸ˜†  I can't think of anyone else who would have played Sam and Dean better. Jensen and Jared are perfection as Sam and Dean. I love the way the way all the emotions surfaced throughout the episode. You could see them both struggling to cope with their own thoughts, instincts and feelings. Dean's resolute stand of saving the people and the world and Sam's hesitant approach to it. They both have their own reasons for their respective ideologies, just like you said and yet we can't think of whom to side with. 'Cause sometimes its not about right and wrong, its about the choices we make. Benny's character has a lot of potential and he seems to have quite a few layers to him. It'd be interesting to see what the whole Dean-Benny angle has us to offer. They kept the suspense alive by not coming clear about Cass and I hope he's okay. Another character death/damage is something I wouldn't be able to handle. ðŸ˜³ I loved the post<3 and loved the way you wrote everything. Analysis ho toh aisa. <3 ðŸ˜³

P.S : Can I say I don't like Jared's hairstyle? ðŸ¤” His hair looked so much better in season 7.
Edited by herms_angel - 11 years ago
Husna! :D Watch the episode jaldiii <3 It's awesome! Did you try out that torrent thing I told you?
any idea when it features in india ?..
I have seen the episode! WEEE :D I'm doing my analysis now, will edit my comment here as soon as I'm done there. And I didn't do the torrent thing, I figured another way out which seems to be working out fine for me. ðŸ˜³
Originally posted by muzzy_sk

any idea when it features in india ?..

26th October 9 pm on AXN :D
Originally posted by Aanya.

26th October 9 pm on AXN :D

sure?..ahh the news sucks!.. leaving IF on25th!..kill us!!!

-Shreya and Kanishtha

First of all ,when the episode started they give a flashback of the previous storyline…Goshhh  I was so excited and that doubled my excitement was like YAY My Winchesters!!!!

Jensen and Jared as usual they were PERFECT!

From Dean's disappointment towards Sam, to his scenes  in the purgatory, to his childish side when he is talking about his baby, the impala…everything was perfect…

Coming to Jared, Sam was also played upto perfection. From been obviously happy to see his brother bang, to missing his 'other' life everything was spot on as you said…

The scene where Dean and Sam meet each other, I loved it. Dean as being the vigilant hunter he is, tried all sorts of test on him and Sammy is like 'a normal hello' would be better…: P And they hug, all the Sam-dean hugs when the come back from somewhere [hell, cage or here purgatory] is just so sweet… the joy of seeing eachother after so long was evident.

Dean Dean Dean, this guy seriously needs to lie down and lift some weight off his shoulders. People die and they will keep on dieing, and all of it is not their responsibility….He was disappointed with Sammy as he did not search for him., but WHERE should have he gone to search for him, last time atleast he knew that he was in hell, this time he was clueless…But then he is his brother, being a bit disappointed and angry is like his right :P…But Sam should have checked his messages, poor Kevin he also has been pulled into this supernatural world without any choice.

The 'look' Dean gave Sam while reading those voice messages , was awesome!!! :P

Then Dean getting angry about Sam letting in a dog in his Impala…Then the way he was making Sam understand why they should try to close the doors to Hell ,the very thing that killed their parents and made them what they are today…The Purgatory scenes were awesome, the  aggression, the certain edginess in the character was great…looking forward to more flashback scenes.

Sammy.. well I don't blame him for not wanting this life…and well he NEVER wanted his life, he wanted to be normal..to have a family…he wanted to be free….He does not have the baggage of the world on his back..And for the first time he was truly alone.. No Dean, No Bobby, No Cass..he didn't have anyone to look upto…the struggle with himself to hang between the love for his brother and longing for his own independent life was shown very well.

Kevin, wow! This guy has evolved and matured so much..looking forward to see him much more in the future.

Benny well its kinda weird to see Dean been so close to a 'creature'..lets see what happens next :P

Then one of my favorite was ofcorse the Dean with the burger scene :P Well that was so 'Dean'!!!

Missed Cass in the first epi, hope to see him soon…

Edited by -BlazingWater- - 11 years ago
Originally posted by muzzy_sk

sure?..ahh the news sucks!.. leaving IF on25th!..kill us!!!

-Shreya and Kanishtha

You could watch it online if that's feasible! Also whaaat. Don't leave IF! 26th is when the fun starts :(

Cut down your IF time...come only on weekends or something! :)

xoxo
Sheesh Aanya ! 😆
that was SO long ! 😆

anyways ... all i have to say to that now , is DITTO ! 😆 because thats exactly how i felt about the episode !

About Dean - he was perfect as usual and he still feels thats its his responsibility to save everyone .. [ why would you think so Dean ? its such a HUGE thing 😳 ] oooh , and I LOVED it when Dean got angry at Sam for not using the cell phones anymore .. that scene where Dean was playing all those Voice messages for Sam and Sam was standing there all guilty and Dean with SO much Anger! it was SO Big Brother types 😃 and awwwh man , that look on Dean's face when he found out that Sam didn't even try looking for him !!

About Sam - I can't blame him much for not looking , because first of all , he had NO CLUE as to where his brother GO ?!!! where to look for him. . he was absolutely Clueless ! plus he had NO ONE as a back-up .. well no one close in fact .. plus plus , i think he had had Enough of seeing people die .. especially people close to him .. so I side with Sam a little for giving up the hunting ..

About Benny - I don't know why are people giving so much attention to him ? I mean is that person , [ who plays Benny ] , very famous or what ? 😆 because i got to see SO much of him .. OR may be because Dean hugged him first and then Sam ! 🤣 Hmm .. well whatever , if you think technically , you cant trust those creatures .. but who knows .. 😆

About Amelia - There was nothing about it at all for us to judge or whatever .. plus , that whole " Take the dog with you or else " back-up talk with Sam felt a little FORCED to me .. it seemed ODD to me , dint fit 😆 like they had nothing for Sam in this episode so they added it just to stretch the episode a little 😆

About Kevin - Okay i think i am liking that kid 😆

and Last but DEFINITELY NOT The Least CASTIEL ! - Where are you ANGEL ?! [ Ask your mother !! 🤣  that was awesome ! ]
But no seriously , what happened 😳 i hope they show it sooon !

on the Comic Parts - okay first off , i am SO NOT HAPPY with the Dean-Impala Re-union ! Impala is your baby DEAN , Show some LOVE !!! 😳
other then that , Dean and Burger scene was AWEEESOME ! 😆
Crowley and Goats - HILARIOUS ! 🤣
AND , Crowley calling Sam , " MOOSE " 🤣

and thats it from my side 😃

Edited by -Seri_KSG- - 11 years ago