Michael Scott vs. Sheldon Cooper

Poll

Who is the better funny character?

Poll Choice
Login To Vote
return_to_hades thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 11 years ago

So we have had plenty of serious debates of late. I thought we could have a light hearted fun debate for a change. Although it is not as light hearted if you are passionate and obsessive about television. Last night I had quite a heated discussion with some friends.

One of my friends is a huge fan of 'The Office'. She views Steve Carrell as a comic genius and Michael Scott as one of the best characters in a comedy series ever. She is furious that he never won an Emmy, because he genuinely deserves it.

It was all fine and good till then. I know many fans of Michael Scott. Perhaps Steve did deserve one. But then she went on to complain about Jim Parsons winning Emmys. She cannot stand Jim Parsons and loathes him for getting undeserving Emmy's. Now that was unacceptable to not just me, our entire table because Sheldon Cooper played by Jim Parsons from 'The Big Bang Theory' is brilliant. If there is any truly well deserved Emmy, it is Jim Parsons for Sheldon Cooper.

Think about it. Steve Carrell is good, but very limited. He gets to be a bit too stone faced with his. Michael Scott was funny as the incompetent and inept boss. But the character is not deep nor does it require much. It is built on a lot clichs. Steve Carell really does not add much to the character. Sheldon Cooper is different. Very few of us personally know uber geeks and geniuses. Geeky geniuses are stereotypes we love to hate. Jim Parsons brings a geek alive for us. He infuses a variety of personality traits and mannerisms. With his matter of fact outlook on everything and his childish "Bazinga" and delighting in  "Soft Kitty" – Jim Parsons brings alive a Geeky genius that we actually find adorable, likeable and start finding him like our own friend.

I never followed either shows. I watched a few episodes of Office and Michael Scott never hooked me. It was just fun when you had nothing to do. But one view of Sheldon Cooper and I was hooked. I'll often rearrange my schedule so I can watch a Big Bang rerun marathon.           

So who is the better actor Steve Carell or Jim Parsons?

Who is the better character Michael Scott or Sheldon Cooper?

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

I only know Sheldon. I like him.
Heart thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail + 2
Michael Scott is better than Sheldon Cooper anyday. 

Bazinga! 
Nothing and no one can beat Sheldon Cooper. :P 

By the way, it is good to see a not-to-serious debate topic for a change. Good job! 
Angel-likeDevil thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 2
I only know Sheldon too! I love him very much 😃 
PigBenis thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 3
No one can beat Sheldon Cooper. Not a chance! 
Freethinker112 thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail
Have not watched The Office but I follow The Big Bang Theory and like Sheldon Cooper. And Jim Parson has done quite a great job with the character. He takes care of the little things that matter in comedies. 😊
mr.ass thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
who the hell is michael scott? some f** from glee? :S 
MithiBani thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 2
Insane Qwestion!! 😕 I'm sure your mother had you tested. 😛
kavyasam thumbnail
Sheldon Cooper all the way.   Not just him even Howard Wolowitz wins over Michael Scott.  

Steve is good as Scott and is excellent in his role.  But Sheldon raises the bar, his every other word is hillarious.   Office is kind of acquired comedy,  not outrageously comic as such. Big Bang wins along with sheldon.  
Cotillion thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I don't watch office, but The big bang theory is good in parts. It get annoying and boring after a while. Anyway Raj is my favorite character.