Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail Engager 1 Thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
what are tuesday numbers? anyone?
-koiza- thumbnail
Awesome Wowsome!
By Taran Adarsh, October 10, 2012 - 08:13 IST
It can't get better than this... On one hand, movies riding on star names and backed by colossal budgets, AGNEEPATH, HOUSEFULL 2, ROWDY RATHORE and BOL BACHCHAN, are making a killing at the box-office. On the other hand, hi-concept movies, PAAN SINGH TOMAR, KAHAANI, VICKY DONOR, GOW 1 and 2, BARFI!, OMG - OH MY GOD! and ENGLISH VINGLISH, are creating ripples. The avid moviegoer is relishing this sumptuous spread...

Last week, OMG - OH MY GOD! was the talk of town. This week, ENGLISH VINGLISH is being talked about in glowing terms. Although the film marks the return of the top star of the 1980s and 1990s, Sridevi, after a hiatus, even those associated with the film were well aware that the film wouldn't take the box-office by storm, but would gather momentum only if the word of mouth was positive. Films aimed at the urban audiences, generally, show an upward trend during the course of the weekend. The escalation in the business of ENGLISH VINGLISH clearly indicates that the film is here to stay. Although multiple films are scheduled to open next Friday, I am sure, ENGLISH VINGLISH will continue to find its share of viewers.

The second release, KLPD, went completely unnoticed. Targeted at the youth and the single screen junta in particular, neither did its [naughty] title nor did a couple of hummable tracks help the film garner a respectable start at the ticket window. Boxoffice can be so unpredictable, what say?
-koiza- thumbnail
English Vinglish seems to be on the roll at the box office. Not only is the film doing well at the domestic box office but also at the overseas box office. The Sridevi starrer made about 1.75 Crores on its 1st Tuesday at the domestic box office. English Vinglish now stands at a domestic box office total of 16.75 Crores. Performing exceptionally well at the overseas box office, the movie as of now has grossed 7.5 Crores. This brings up the worldwide box office collections of the movie to 24.25 Crores.

Sridevi in a still from English Vinglish Movie

The movie is still doing well at the multiplexes. However, the situation might change this Friday which has a long list of releases including big names like Aiyyaa, Bhoot Returns and Chittagong.

MKS tweets at @mksmukulsharma
Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
Went to see it last night with my best friend.

First time I got to see Sridevi in the cinema :)

She was absolutely magical. Every scene she was excellent. It was such a good feeling to see her on screen. I wanted to hug her in the coffee shop scene <3

The film itself was beautiful. The direction, editing, cinematography and score were all brilliant. Especially Gauri's work - amazing!

The film doesn't drag on even for one scene. It's so good I just didn't want it to end. All the characters were real and believable, yet thoroughly entertaining.

The pace of the movie was superb. The romantic elements, the moral of the story about finding yourself. The dilemma of a mother's duties to her family crossed with the importance of being selfish was beautifully portrayed by Gauri + Sri.

The wedding scene with the speeches was just too much. I wanted to cry and cry and cry.

As soon as I left the theatre I text my other friends and said "We have to watch this!"

5 Stars
sanjeevk thumbnail
Grand comeback of Sridevi with "English Vinglish" a movie based on middle class house wife who is very curious to learn English.

Read full review about "English Vinglish" on Movieplus.com
Edited by sanjeevk - 11 years ago
konkaii thumbnail
1st time bringing my mum and sis to watch a Hindi movie in cinema. Never heard of Sridevi before but decide to try out the movie after reading all good review about the movie. It really didn't disappoint us. Mum and sis could see themselves as the 2 character in it. Sridevi acted very well in all the scene. Nothing too much or too little. Everyone acted well too especially like the niece and the English teacher both are very cute. Now I'm beginning to search for Sridevi old movie. Hope she Will continue to act once in awhile. A great actress not to be missed!
Rekha_ji thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I'm watching it for second time on Friday with my American friend. Can't wait. He watched the trailer and loved it. 

I really think Sridevi gave the best performance of the year. If she wins the Filmfare Award, it would be so amazing. Especially as when she was at her peak (1986-1987) the Filmfare Awards were cancelled just those 2 years in their history. So unfortunate, as I'm sure she would have won back then.

It would also make her the oldest recipient of the award (record currently held by Nutan, who won in 1978 at the age of 42). Sri is 49.

Well she has a few options:
Best Actress
Best Critics Actress
Special Award
Lifetime Achievement

I am sure they would give her at least one award. Fingers crossed for the Popular one!
WOOOHHHOOO! I'm so proud of such talented women being appreciated 
briahna thumbnail

Originally posted by: Bollywood_Divas

I'm watching it for second time on Friday with my American friend. Can't wait. He watched the trailer and loved it. 

I really think Sridevi gave the best performance of the year. If she wins the Filmfare Award, it would be so amazing. Especially as when she was at her peak (1986-1987) the Filmfare Awards were cancelled just those 2 years in their history. So unfortunate, as I'm sure she would have won back then.

It would also make her the oldest recipient of the award (record currently held by Nutan, who won in 1978 at the age of 42). Sri is 49.

Well she has a few options:
Best Actress
Best Critics Actress
Special Award
Lifetime Achievement

I am sure they would give her at least one award. Fingers crossed for the Popular one!

word. 
and imagine her named being called as best actress of 2012, expect a standing ovation.
it will be just WOW.
see just recently ashwariya screwed up for many with heroine fiasco, and here is  sridevi coming  back at 49 and delivering the best performance. 
i hope this inspires other actresses, never give up, READ THE SCRIPT before signing movies. TRUE talent will always be there.
Edited by briahna - 11 years ago
briahna thumbnail
English Vinglish
(India, 129 min.)
Written and directed by Gauri Shinde
Starring: Sridevi, Adil Hussain, Mehdi Nebbou, Priya Anand, Corey Hibbs, Ruth Aguilar, Amitabh Bachchan.

Happy vappy, funny vunny
Lover vover, mother vother
Romance vomance, marriage varriage
Passion vassion, duty vuty.
English Vinglish! English Vinglish!
Local vocal, global vlobal
Culture vulture, tourist vourist
Hindi vindi, Spanish vanish
Tamil vamil, lang'age vang'age,
An irresistibly heartwarming piece of Bollywood bliss, English Vinglish is sure to have viewers dancing in the aisles as they exit the cinema. That the film deserves to be a mega-hit is almost a no-brainer since it marks the return of Bollywood star Sridevi, who gives the kind of comeback performance that often works itself into Hollywood folklore, but is usually only dreamed of by A-level talent.
Back to the screen after a long hiatus, Sridevi stars as Stashi, a traditional Indian wife and mother caught in the role of dutiful caregiver. Her husband (Adil Hussain) barely pays her any notice. All he thinks Stashi is good for is to stay at hometo cook for him. His lack of respect puts an unfortunate stain on Stashi's one true passion: making ladoos, a sweet, simple dessert that enchants every tooth it touches.
Stashi's children are similarly ungrateful. They like the sweetness of their mother's ladoos, but they know not how the little golden balls are sugary symbols of their cultural heritage. Silly and spoiled, Stashi's son and daughter gobble up their mother's ladoos but they grant her zero respect. The daughter is especially harsh on her mother, given how little Stashi seems to be with the language of the youth.
This new language, of course, is English. Stashi has a poor grasp of the Anglophone tongue, but this shiny new thing is sweeping across the land and exciting her family. Stashi's family is a generation of a new India that is greatly influenced by Western culture and customs. Her kids are more likely to take a lesson from Mickey Mouse than from Mother India. Stashi, however, grew up with the belief that marriage is a duty and that familial devotion is a mother's most important role.
Stashi's traditional role gets a cross-cultural spin when she is thrust into the epicentre of English enchantment. When she learns that her niece is to be married, Stashi goes to visit her sister's adopted homeland of New York. Stashi takes a juicy bite out of the Big Apple, and its flavour tickles her tongue.

Once she arrives in the global city of New York, Stashi is overwhelmed by a cacophony of new noises and sounds. All this English babble wafts through her ears, so Stashi's sister and nieces do their best to translate things into Hindi so that their auntie can feel less lost in the hubbub of miscommunication. After one disastrous encounter with a mean-tempered, ill-mannered Anglophone, though, Stashi's feelings of shame return. She decides to master the art of the English language before her daughter et al come for the wedding that is to be held in four upcoming weeks.
Stashi therefore enlists in a four-week intensive English class. She joins a school of other citizens who came to America in search of greater opportunity, but were bogged down by their loose grasp of Yankee dialect. If Julia Child can teach Americans to master the art of French cooking, then learning the dos and don'ts of English communication should be a breeze, right?
The fun language sessions of English Vinglish extend Stashi's heartfelt fish-out-of-water story into a school of Babelfish in search of a common connection. The group helps one another and learns to cut cultural ties as they negotiate the verbal borders between them. Thanks in part, too, to a sweet love story between Stashi and a hunky Frenchman (Mehdi Nebbou), whose kindness and respect tempt Stashi from her familial duties, the lessons teach Stashi how to regain her self-respect. The more she perfects her grasp of English, the firmer hold she has on her sense of self. English Vinglish deserves comparison to The King's Speech for its inspiring morale of self-confidence and self-worth.

English Vinglish is especially moving thanks to the excellent lead performance by Sridevi. Her big brown eyes are expressive vessels both for Stashi's excitement and for Stashi's shame. The heroine of English Vinglish is a shy, modest woman, but a wily and powerful one, too. Most of all, Sridevi makes English Vinglish fun and dynamic entertainment. The supporting cast is enjoyable as well, especially the English class ensemble and Amitabh Bachchan, who makes a hilarious cameo as Sridevi's kind, movie-loving companion on the plane ride to America.
Viewers less familiar with Bollywood staples like Bachchan, however, might miss some of the film's charm. Likewise, those unversed in the history of Bollywood convention might be a bit put off by the conservative turn of events in the film's final act. On the other hand, this film by writer/director Gauri Shinde (making her feature debut) is smart and accessible through its down-to-earth story and straightforward symbolism. The tale of English Vinglish is universal, but the collective morale is peppered with signature Bollywood tunes that give it a unique flavour. Best among the lively soundtrack is the title track "English Vinglish", which underscores the culture clash with a lively tempo and makes English Vinglish family-friendly fun.
After a successful premiere at TIFF last month, English Vinglish landed in theatres October 4 in an impressive worldwide rollout. The return of Sridevi is a noteworthy event for Bollywood fans, but after this impressive performance, the actress could be a star in North America. English Vinglish deserves to be a cross-cultural hit.
Rating: ???? (out of ?????)
English Vinglish is currently playing in Ottawa at Empire Theatres Kanata

http://www.cinemablographer.com/2012/10/review-english-vinglish-sridevi.html?m=1