Harry Potter

Discussion on: "The Boy Who Lived" (Page 3)

Post Reply New Post

Page 3 of 4

Page 1 Page 2
Page   of 4
Page 4 Page 4

Cutecj

Goldie

Cutecj

Posted: 11 October 2012 at 8:24am | IP Logged
Vernon kept on hearing rumors and people i8n robes talking about the Potter family. They talked of their son Harry.
Vernon thought of Petunia's sister who was married to a Potter could they be talking about them. The Potters were the most weird family and anyways there are so many Harrys in the world.

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Discussion on: "The Boy Who Lived" (Page 3)" in Harry Potter forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Break.The.Code

IF-Dazzler

Break.The.Code

Posted: 13 October 2012 at 3:13am | IP Logged
One of the major things I like about the whole Hp series is the way the first cheaper of each book starts. In PS, it started with 'The Dursleys of No. 4, Privet Drive, Surrey were extremely normal, thank you very much..' The first line itself shows the Dursleys opinions about witches and wizards and generally everything magic. The way McGonagall then advises Dumbledore to avoid leaving little Harry with the Dursleys shows how she cares for the little boy. I mean, even though Voldemort was 'dead' by the hands of little Harry she did not celebrate with the world for their redemption but mourned the loss of two of her favourite students to whom she might've grown close into while working with them in the OotP. She'd always had a soft corner for Harry, didnt she?
I also remember our dear Headmaster joking about the scar he has got on his lower right leg when Minerva asks about the lightning shaped scar on Harry's head. This became an early implication that Dumbledore would be a fun filled phenomenon to ever path down the pages of history. (err..sounds cliche?????!)

I love how Hagrid, despite his monstrous size, handles Harry with care. This shows that people can be kind and gentle despite their sizes.

The last when Harry is placed on the doorstep of the Dursleys, Dumbledore whispers, "Good Luck, Harry"

What does it mean?
-That he knows probably how the Dursleys would treat him but still why did he leave Harry on the doorstep of the Dursleys and not take Harry to Hogwarts?
-If there was Blood Magic, then why was Sacrificial Magic needed? We see at the end of the book that Quirrell/Voldemort couldn't touch Harry because of Lily's sacrifice. Dumbledore knew about it but why did he let Harry suffer?
-If Dumbledore wanted Harry to be safe from the unsuspecting eyes of Voldemort and his minions, then why didn't he take Harry to Hogwarts? Wasn't Hogwarts the most safest haven since there was Dumbledore there?
-Or did Dumbledore want Harry to grow in an abusive environment to draw strength from within that would help him defeat Voldemort later?

Your views please.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Cutecj

Cutecj

Goldie

Cutecj

Posted: 13 October 2012 at 1:03pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by SallyAmanda

One of the major things I like about the whole Hp series is the way the first cheaper of each book starts. In PS, it started with 'The Dursleys of No. 4, Privet Drive, Surrey were extremely normal, thank you very much..' The first line itself shows the Dursleys opinions about witches and wizards and generally everything magic. The way McGonagall then advises Dumbledore to avoid leaving little Harry with the Dursleys shows how she cares for the little boy. I mean, even though Voldemort was 'dead' by the hands of little Harry she did not celebrate with the world for their redemption but mourned the loss of two of her favourite students to whom she might've grown close into while working with them in the OotP. She'd always had a soft corner for Harry, didnt she?
I also remember our dear Headmaster joking about the scar he has got on his lower right leg when Minerva asks about the lightning shaped scar on Harry's head. This became an early implication that Dumbledore would be a fun filled phenomenon to ever path down the pages of history. (err..sounds cliche?????!)

I love how Hagrid, despite his monstrous size, handles Harry with care. This shows that people can be kind and gentle despite their sizes.

The last when Harry is placed on the doorstep of the Dursleys, Dumbledore whispers, "Good Luck, Harry"

What does it mean?
-That he knows probably how the Dursleys would treat him but still why did he leave Harry on the doorstep of the Dursleys and not take Harry to Hogwarts?
-If there was Blood Magic, then why was Sacrificial Magic needed? We see at the end of the book that Quirrell/Voldemort couldn't touch Harry because of Lily's sacrifice. Dumbledore knew about it but why did he let Harry suffer?
-If Dumbledore wanted Harry to be safe from the unsuspecting eyes of Voldemort and his minions, then why didn't he take Harry to Hogwarts? Wasn't Hogwarts the most safest haven since there was Dumbledore there?
-Or did Dumbledore want Harry to grow in an abusive environment to draw strength from within that would help him defeat Voldemort later?

Your views please.

Great interpretation.

Brilliant questions for thoughts too.

Cutecj

Goldie

Cutecj

Posted: 13 October 2012 at 1:05pm | IP Logged
I really like when McGonagall was tring to convince Dumboldore not to give Harry to the Dursleys. It showed her motherly side.

..Ankita..

IF-Rockerz

..Ankita..

Posted: 17 October 2012 at 9:33am | IP Logged
How many here had predicted that Ron would land up with Hermoine right from the first book?

Cutecj

Goldie

Cutecj

Posted: 26 October 2012 at 3:50am | IP Logged
I hadn't predicted from the first book but had certainly the doubt from the third.

Lumos

IF-Rockerz

Lumos

Posted: 26 October 2012 at 10:03am | IP Logged
Hey SallyAmanda!
nice post :)
well your questions are answered in detail in the fifth book in the last few chapters.
dumbledore left harry at his nearest surviving relative(petunia) to SEAL the magical protection given by Lily. Harry was intricately safe yes, but i feel by landing him there he tried to double up the protection. But your point has had me thinking..voldy couldnt harm harry while petunia was there but he could might as well kill her and nullify dumbly's protection. Your thoughts pls. :)
ref whether dumbly wanted him to suffer..well i guess not. But surely he didnt want harry grow up to be a spoilt little prince. He wanted him strong and ordinary.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Break.The.Code

nobo

IF-Dazzler

nobo

Posted: 27 October 2012 at 1:30am | IP Logged
@SallyAmanda, Nice analysis...yeah quite motherly & caring side of Mcgonagall is depicted in first chapter, & dumbledor's talks about ear muffs , sherbet lemon & the map Sort off highlighted what kind of person he is...

As for your questions...There is Very thin line between Blood & Sacrificial magic that Latter DEPENDED on former
i.e lily sacrificed herself for protection of Harry & dumbledor explained in 5th part that This magic/protection would have worked Only Till Harry wasn't of age & Until he could call such a place home where Any Blood relative of Lily Resided...
When Quireel tried to kill Harry ..Privet drive was still his home & He was also underage ..so it worked

& Yes I agree with yourself & Varun..that dumbledor didn't wanted Harry to be in magical world ( Let alone Hogwarts ) till he was 11. Reason he mentioned himself in First chapter itself ...I would list them

1.) Harry was supposed to be Patient , calm , & enduring ( He needed all that in DH ) ...& not a spoilt hot headed boy  ( which he would have become Of stayed in wizard world ...Like dumby said Famous even before He can Walk Or Talk & for a thing he don't remember ) 

2.) As he mentioned in 5 th part...he counted on Magic of Love for Harry's protection more than powers of himself.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

Break.The.CodeLumos

Post Reply New Post

Go to top