Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

maha2us

IF-Dazzler

maha2us

Posted: 20 September 2012 at 8:48am | IP Logged
This is what I learn in this topic.

It could be possible Aswathama may be living today. But he won't probably like to talk to anyone. If people want to see him that could be because they are curious to see a person who has lived so many years. But he will also be 'scared' to face people. Can he be sure people will be friendly to him? Even if he came to a place and heard people talk about him (hiding or invisible), he could have heard people telling bad about him as he did the needful to make the remaining life of Pandavas totally miserable. If people ask him a question on, why he behaved in the most contemptible way, what answer could he give? Will he dare to face that question? And can he be sure, nobody will attack him? Of course, he could be so capable that he could slay all the attackers single-handedly. Still he won't like to do that. So in anyway he could be sure, no one is going to be friendly to him. Definitely a person who is full of guilt won't like to face others. And this person knows no one is going to forgive him. So it is totally possible he is in some place, where no one could meet him or he himself may have received a boon to make himself invisible. Don't we very well know how criminals do their best to see that they are able to hide out from the public lest they be caught? This is the case of a person who has done even a single murder. What about the case of this person?

Cheers,

Edited by maha2us - 20 September 2012 at 9:23am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Vintage.Wine.anishaa.Vishakha_Sakhi..RamKiJanaki..

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Is Aswathama alive today?" in Mythological Masti forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

.Vrish.

Viewbie

.Vrish.

Posted: 20 September 2012 at 9:50am | IP Logged
Ashwatthama was not immortal - this is what Krishna said to him:
The holy one said, "The fall of this mighty weapon will not be fruitless. The foetus will die. But being dead, it will live again and have a long life! As regards thyself, all wise men know thee for a coward and a sinful wretch! Always engaged in sinful acts, thou art the slayer of children. For this reason, thou must have to bear the fruit of these thy sins. For 3,000 years thou shalt wander over this earth, without a companion and without being able to talk with anyone. Alone and without anybody by thy side, thou shalt wander through diverse countries, O wretch, thou shalt have no place in the midst of men. The stench of pus and blood shall emanate from thee, and inaccessible forests and dreary moors shall be thy abode! Thou shalt wander over the Earth, O thou of sinful soul, with the weight of all diseases on thee.

In other words, it can be assumed that he died after 3000 years.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

-Gitanjali-Vintage.WineShivangBuch.anishaa.Vishakha_Sakhi

.anishaa.

IF-Dazzler

.anishaa.

Posted: 20 September 2012 at 6:51pm | IP Logged
Interesting topic. I used to wonder about this too.

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 20 September 2012 at 6:55pm | IP Logged
Isn't he one of the Chiranjeevis?

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

.anishaa.visromVishakha_Sakhi

Vishakha_Sakhi

IF-Sizzlerz

Vishakha_Sakhi

Posted: 20 September 2012 at 7:13pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by JanakiRaghunath

Isn't he one of the Chiranjeevis?

You are right Janu, he is one of the Chiranjeevis.

Markandeya, Ashwathama, Maha Bali, Vyasa, Hanuman, Vibhishana, Kripacharya and Parashurama, are the 8 "long lived" personalities. Chiranjeevi does not mean "immortal" but "long lived"..."chiram" (long) and jivi (lived).

Immortal = not subject to death

Long lived = existing for a long time.

Article excerpt:http://hindumyths.blogspot.com/search/label/Ashwatthama

The subtle difference between Immortals and 'Infinitely Prolonged'

Although the words Immortal (Amar) - ??? and Chiranjeev ??????? are used almost like synonyms, there is in fact a slight difference? The word Chiranjeev is a combination of "chiram" (long) and jeevi (lived) This word is often confused with immortality ("amaratva")? The following classification of beings will make this clear:

1. Mortals -- Beings who die. Includes all beings on the Earth - Humans, Rakshasas, Nagas etc. This is you and I.

2. Chiranjeevis -- Beings that will live a very long life, so long that normal humans feel that they live for eternity. They started off as humans, but have received the boon / curse of eternal life. Mortals can become Chiranjeevi by good deeds etc., but cannot become Amar easily unless they drink Amrita of Devas. Hence when a younger bows to an elder in Hindu society, the elder would bless "Chiranjeevi Bhava" (live long) and not "Amar Bhava" (live forever).

3. Immortals (Amar) -- Beings who do not die. This includes Devas, Apsaras, Gandharvas. These beings do not die at all. Even in war when they are wounded, they recover and continue to live. Devas drank Amrita, which made them Immortal. Before that, they too were mortals - sons of Aditi and Kashyapa. Note that Asuras / Daityas (i.e. the step-brothers of Devas and sons of Diti & Kashyapa) die in the wars and are then resurrected / revived by way of Sanjeevani Vidya possessed by their Guru Shukra.

4. Eternal -- Beings that will live forever. All the three categories above, even Immortal beings, get dissolved / die at the time of Pralaya (end of the universe), including its secondary creator Brahma. The only real Eternals are Vishnu, Shiva, Sheshanaga (the Eternal Serpent), and the four Vedas ... yes, although they are not really Beings, Vedas are considered Eternal in that they do NOT get destroyed at the end of time.

Edited by Vedo - 20 September 2012 at 7:26pm

The following 10 member(s) liked the above post:

SahasranamaM-Gitanjali-Vintage.WineShivangBuch.Vrish..anishaa.varaalivisrom.Reshama...RamKiJanaki..

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 20 September 2012 at 7:36pm | IP Logged
Thanks Vedo, that helps a lot! :D I always thought chiranjeevi meant living forever. I guess Hanuman is the longest lasting Chiranjeevi then, right? Because Shri Ram said he would be here until the end of the world.

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

.anishaa.Vishakha_Sakhi

Vishakha_Sakhi

IF-Sizzlerz

Vishakha_Sakhi

Posted: 20 September 2012 at 7:49pm | IP Logged

Originally posted by JanakiRaghunath

Thanks Vedo, that helps a lot! :D I always thought chiranjeevi meant living forever. I guess Hanuman is the longest lasting Chiranjeevi then, right? Because Shri Ram said he would be here until the end of the world.

Welcome! Big smile I used to think so too until I read up on the subject. You are right, Hanumanji is the longest lasting Chiranjeevi. He is devotion personified. 

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

.anishaa.visrom

-Gitanjali-

Coolbie

-Gitanjali-

Posted: 22 September 2012 at 4:41am | IP Logged
Wow a ver emlightening topic

Even I used to think Ashwathama is alive today
thanks Vrish for clarifying

thanks Vedo for telling about this chiranjeevi stuff

I didnt know this

Edited by Nandiniraizaada - 22 September 2012 at 9:17am