Ramayan

   

lets talk : kaikeyi !

Post Reply New Post

Page 1 of 2

Page 1
Page   of 2
Page 2 Page 2

arti07

IF-Sizzlerz

arti07

Joined: 08 October 2010

Posts: 13029

Posted: 19 September 2012 at 7:10am | IP Logged
hey frnsHug i m back again Embarrassed lets discuss about the various characters from ramayanaTongue each week i will randomly pick one characterSmile...this week its KakeyiSmile

Kaikeyi was the daughter of King Ashwapati and the only sister of seven brothers. She was brave, daring, rode chariots, fought wars, was extremely beautiful, played instruments, sang and danced. Kaikeyi is shown as Dashratha's favourite queen Kaikeyi exults in her supremacy 

 King Dasaratha saw her on a hunting expedition in Kashmir and fell in love with her. Kaikeyi's father extracted a promise that her son (his grandson) would ascend the throne. Dasaratha agreed as he had no son from any of his wives after marriage she remained as his fav queen  kakeyi accompanied Dharsharta at the battlefield once the kingdom was attacked, and Kaikeyi saved her husband's life, permanently fracturing her little finger in the process and wining two unconditional boons from her husband.  after being childless for so many years ,the four princes were born through the yagna and Kaikeyi developed deep affection towards Rama it is said that she loved Rama more than her own son Bharata, she was generous  and kind hearted woman ,,,,,,,,,,sometimes  it is hard to believe that she banish her beloved son Rama to the forest for 14 years. One theory suggests that Kakeyi inherited the obsitante behaviour from her mother'. Once when King Ashwapati (father of kakeyi)  and his queen were strolling he heard a pair of birds talking and laughed uncontrollably. Ashwapati, King of Kashmir, had the boon of understanding language of birds, insects and animals. The queen wanted to know what the bird had said but the king replied that according to the boon if he disclosed it  he would die. The queen said she didn't care whether he lived or died but he must tell her what the birds had said. The king banished her forever to her parental home. According to the exponents kaikeyi never saw her mother again. She was raised by her wet nurse, Manthara, who accompanied Kaikeyi to ayodhya as a trusted maid upon her marriage to Dasaratha. Her father's treatment of her mother and the latter's subsequent exile led to Kaikeyi harboring a deep distrust of men in general and husbands in particular,and to an extent wen dharashata declared lord rama as the heir-apparent in the absence of Kaikeyi's son, and takes care not to inform his favorite queen Kaikeyi'.kaikeyi's insecurity that was hidden deep inside her took over her it...further was fuled by manthara ...Caught in the maelstrom of her ego's obsession, she invited destruction by scorning Dasharatha's importunate reminders about the curse as she insists on being granted her two boons...the boons that were asked out of jealousy and anger churned out of her life's tragic experiences

Kaikeyi let nothing stop her in safeguarding her son's inheritance - the threat of widowhood, which becomes a reality; the outrage of all Ayodhya, which turns into the implacable condemnation of all generations to follow. The tragedy of Kaikeyi lies in the rejection of her sacrifice by the very person for whom she went through fire: her son Bharata. who disowned her

thereafter she lived on in the city, like a detested legend, in her own  isolation and misery c She was one of the layered character from the epic from a  wife to a Mother, to a selfish woman to a Widow and to a repenter'.. yet she is hated so much that noone names their daughter kakeyi''.

 

Do u think Kaikeyi was a bad  a demonic woman ?.

Does she present picture of heartless selffishness womankind at its most degenerate?

Did Dhasharatha did wrong by forgetting his promise to crown Bharat as King of Ayodhya?

Was the personality of Kaikeyi so overwhelming, her hold on the kingdom so unquestioned that none dared challenge her will till her own son returned to disobey her?

What was the reason behind sending rama to exile was she a overprotective a hypocrite mother or jealous and insecure wife?

which characterstics  u liked in this woman?

What are ur thoughts about this lady????


do share ur viewsHug



Edited by arti07 - 19 September 2012 at 9:37am

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

Butifuleyessuperdil19minizzGeeshunneeiillmanzilmukul

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "lets talk : kaikeyi !" in Ramayan forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

minizz

IF-Rockerz

minizz

Joined: 28 September 2011

Posts: 5037

Posted: 19 September 2012 at 9:40am | IP Logged
ArtiHugwow what a wonderful post.I had never heard the story of her parents so thanks for that information.I don't consider her to be a demonic woman.She was haughty,selfish and could be quite stubborn but that doesn't make her a demon.She was a brave woman who was quite bold and forward for her times na.These very qualities attracted Dasarath and she became his favourite queen.She was an extremely passionate woman who never did anything in half measures.When she loved Rama she loved him with all her heart but then her insecurities took over and she was hellbent on banishing him.Well if she had not done that we would have never got the story of Ramayana.So I feel that she is the character who puts the events into motion.

I think she took this extreme step out of the fear of losing King Dasarath's love and the importance she enjoyed as his favourite queen.I feel this scared her more than the fact that injustice would be meted out to her son.Her stubbornness made her so blind that she failed to understand her son Bharat's love for his elder brother and that he would never take the place of Rama.She would have known that if it had not been for Manthara's constant attempts to poison her mind and her own deep lying insecurities which eventually got the best of her.The tragedy is that she lost everything,her husband's love and her son's respect due to this act.The actress in the original series had done a brilliant of portraying this complex character.I hope we get to see the same level of acting from Shikha Swaroop.waise I just saw the episode from the original series where Bharat goes to meet Rama.It was such a beautiful scene.I had tears in my eyesCry

I would like to make it clear that these are my personal opinions.It is not my intention to offend anyone.
Arti,Thanks a lot for your informative post on Sitaji's banishment.I enjoyed it a lotSmile
 


Edited by minizz - 19 September 2012 at 9:42am

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

Butifuleyessuperdil19Geeshunneeiillmanzilmukularti07

arti07

IF-Sizzlerz

arti07

Joined: 08 October 2010

Posts: 13029

Posted: 19 September 2012 at 9:56am | IP Logged
Originally posted by minizz

ArtiHugwow what a wonderful post.I had never heard the story of her parents so thanks for that information.I don't consider her to be a demonic woman.She was haughty,selfish and could be quite stubborn but that doesn't make her a demon.She was a brave woman who was quite bold and forward for her times na.These very qualities attracted Dasarath and she became his favourite queen.She was an extremely passionate woman who never did anything in half measures.When she loved Rama she loved him with all her heart but then her insecurities took over and she was hellbent on banishing him.Well if she had not done that we would have never got the story of Ramayana.So I feel that she is the character who puts the events into motion.

I think she took this extreme step out of the fear of losing King Dasarath's love and the importance she enjoyed as his favourite queen.I feel this scared her more than the fact that injustice would be meted out to her son.Her stubbornness made her so blind that she failed to understand her son Bharat's love for his elder brother and that he would never take the place of Rama.She would have known that if it had not been for Manthara's constant attempts to poison her mind and her own deep lying insecurities which eventually got the best of her.The tragedy is that she lost everything,her husband's love and her son's respect due to this act.The actress in the original series had done a brilliant of portraying this complex character.I hope we get to see the same level of acting from Shikha Swaroop.waise I just saw the episode from the original series where Bharat goes to meet Rama.It was such a beautiful scene.I had tears in my eyesCry

I would like to make it clear that these are my personal opinions.It is not my intention to offend anyone.
Arti,Thanks a lot for your informative post on Sitaji's banishment.I enjoyed it a lotSmile
 

thanks dear she was definetly one layered character a grey character that we seldom read in the mythos... in indian mythos either the characters are black or white but kudos to valmilki and tusldiasji for creating this character... she is a  warm-hearted, complex woman'Gentle, stubborn, arrogant, confused. A woman bent on getting her own way even if it ultimately destroys her happiness...and as u said she was extremeist and whole hearted woman she had all the qualities that make a sucessful ruler to me she appears more stronger than Dhashratha Kausalya and Sumitra...she was a courageous woman a ruler locked inside in a woman... its said kakeiyi taught rama politics and rajyashastra which made him a great king later...she was a powerful woman but her insecurity arising due to co wives  led to her own destruction... i consider her as tragic heroine maker of her own destinyEmbarrassed

thanks alot for ur commentsHug


Edited by arti07 - 19 September 2012 at 10:21am

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

superdil19minizzGeeshunneeiillmanzilmukul

nneeiill

IF-Sizzlerz

nneeiill

Joined: 02 June 2011

Posts: 11986

Posted: 19 September 2012 at 10:57am | IP Logged
nice post arti and its a good idea to discuss about characters.

You gave us a complete picture of kaikeyi.
I agree she was one strong character who just became victim of her own insecurities...no matter how much manthara brain washed her but the fact it influenced her thought process is totally because of her insecurtiy.I would say if Dashratha had given such a vow to her father then he was also wrong in not considering her opinion for such a big decision.

But as we say everything happens for a reason...ram had to undertake vanvas and eventually kill ravan..

I will never term her as demonic. Just a character with grey shades

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

superdil19minizzarti07manzilmukul

arti07

IF-Sizzlerz

arti07

Joined: 08 October 2010

Posts: 13029

Posted: 19 September 2012 at 1:36pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by nneeiill

nice post arti and its a good idea to discuss about characters.

You gave us a complete picture of kaikeyi.
I agree she was one strong character who just became victim of her own insecurities...no matter how much manthara brain washed her but the fact it influenced her thought process is totally because of her insecurtiy.I would say if Dashratha had given such a vow to her father then he was also wrong in not considering her opinion for such a big decision.

But as we say everything happens for a reason...ram had to undertake vanvas and eventually kill ravan..

I will never term her as demonic. Just a character with grey shades


neilu doesnt she reminds us of one character we all loved Wink yeah kakeyi was one strong lady her influence on the king and palace was more than the other queens...she loved rama alot it is said lord rama had spent more time under the love and affection of kakeyi she was his teacher before guru vashishta took the charge she taught her skills of war to hold bow and arrow she taught her mantras of rajyashashtra she loved him so much that she couldnt sleep without looking rama face...her love for rama was unconditional thats y its lefts reader in utter bewilderment that a such a loving and doting mother turned in a crone it was primarily one factor that brought the destruction Jealousy'that sickening combination of possessiveness, suspicion, rage, and insecurities'that overtake her mind . and it resulted in lifelong suffering pain and agony her own son disowned her and never called her mother again...she lived her whole life in silent pain...truly a grey character that made me condemn her but the hardship she went through ...  i quite felt for her... for she wasnt demon nor god she was human she possessed all the qualities and disqualties that every human being has...to err is human...she did mistaken she repented ... she penanced... she is the  repenter who isnt forgiven yet. i do feel for her

the beauty of this epic is that it not only take us to the spiritual journey but probes into many philosphical and pychological factor of human being...Embarrassed

p.s king aswapati took the promise from dhashratha that the son born from kakeyi will suceed the throne but kakeyi remained childless for long time and the princes were born through the yagna process king dhasharatha wasnt binded to the promise as the bharat wasnt the natural child but born out of the yagna process...hence dhashartha wasnt under any complusion to fullfill the promiseEmbarrassed



Edited by arti07 - 19 September 2012 at 2:29pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

superdil19minizzGeeshumanzilmukulnneeiill

nneeiill

IF-Sizzlerz

nneeiill

Joined: 02 June 2011

Posts: 11986

Posted: 19 September 2012 at 1:41pm | IP Logged
thanks for that clarification arti about dashratha's promise..it makes sense now..
also i had no idea that kaikeyi  also taught ram the skills of war etc..interesting character indeed.



Edited by nneeiill - 19 September 2012 at 2:38pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

superdil19minizzGeeshuarti07manzilmukul

arti07

IF-Sizzlerz

arti07

Joined: 08 October 2010

Posts: 13029

Posted: 19 September 2012 at 1:49pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by nneeiill

thanks for that clarification arti about dashratha's promise..it makes sense now..
also i had no idea that kaikeyi  also thought ram the skills of war etc..interesting character indeed.

LOLLOLLOL yup she did  ...i m thrilled and fascinated by this woman wen valmiki showed most of the woman as damsel in distress she was shown as courageous fearless woman who fights war with her husband saves her husband life... love her stepson unconditionally and wen things goes against her she twists and turns and manipulates the situation for her own benefit truly managerial person who was misfit for that era... woman ahead of her time... had she born in this era she would have been a successful entrepreneur or influential political leader she knew how to manipulate the situation LOL ( ok that was my pov no offence to anyone)LOL


Edited by arti07 - 19 September 2012 at 1:50pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

superdil19minizzGeeshumanzilmukulnneeiill

manzilmukul

IF-Sizzlerz

manzilmukul

Joined: 14 April 2011

Posts: 12096

Posted: 21 September 2012 at 2:55pm | IP Logged
Sorry my chotu govinda for my late chab dikhayi hereOuch Gosh what an insanely busy week..But I loved loved the idea of Let's Talk.Star...It was wonderful and interesting to note and know about such a fascinating character ..a woman of substance ,a warm hearted mother who finally plays a major role in the Ramayana..
Thanks for sharing so many interesting facets about her which I was unaware of...IMO our greatest fears and insecurities comes out to play only when we feel insecure or the mind refuses to believe what lies in the heart...So its always the battle of haert and mind..and normally in human beings mind comes to play and emerges as a winner...HAD SHE LISTENED TO HER HEART..THEN MAYBE THINGS WOULD HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT..WELL FOR ME KAIKEYI HAS SO MANY SHADES AND AS YOU SAY WONDER WOMAN INDEED...

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

superdil19Geeshunneeiillarti07

Post Reply New Post

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category

Active Forums

Limit search to this Forum only.

 

 

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.