Debate Mansion

Freedom of expression/Inflaming religious senti's (Page 4)

Post Reply New Post

Page 4 of 29

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 21 September 2012 at 3:07am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Forever-KA

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Freedom of expression/Inflaming religious senti's (Page 4)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Freethinker112

IF-Sizzlerz

Freethinker112

Posted: 21 September 2012 at 9:37am | IP Logged
Everyone has a different threshold of toleration. But what I know is nobody can say anything that is worth killing somebody. A human life is worth much more than any offensive thing anyone can say. I have not seen the movie itself, but people need to chill more. It's someone's opinion. You don't like his opinion, you don't need to watch the movie. You cannot please everybody. Somebody, somewhere would be offended by everything. So, should we all just stop?

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

sub_rosaRehanism-Chandramukhi-Samraat_92

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 21 September 2012 at 10:20am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

sub_rosaRehanismmonar-Chandramukhi-Samraat_92

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 21 September 2012 at 6:28pm | IP Logged
While in DC, I met a diplomat's wife also applying to be a diplomat. Her family has been in Egypt and Jordan and she had some interesting insights on one of the main problems.

Most Islamic countries tend to be highly autocratic. Even if democratic, the government wields extreme control. Freedom of speech is an alien concept to them. News, media, entertainment, books, Internet everything they are exposed to is heavily censored, edited and controlled by the government. Nothing makes it through without a stamp of approval by those in power.

So they have a hard time understanding why an anti-Islamic film (or any other material) is the work of a rogue group or individual. They assume that if the movie was made, released and published everywhere - that it must have received an implicit stamp of approval from US government and society. That someone can freely speak something even with explicit disapproval from society and government is something they simply cannot fathom. They don't understand that the government does not have legal standing or power to censor or control speech.

Extremists tend to exploit this mindset of the people. They incite the people to hate USA or hate the west as a whole. That is why spreading the notion of free speech can be very important in these nations. Perception of society radically changes when you have the power to speak against authority and society. You also understand better that one small individual or group can do something unsavory without blaming an entire nation or society for it.

That is why protecting freedom of speech is important. Oxygen fuels fire and makes it grow stronger, but we cannot limit the air we breathe because of it. It becomes a slippery slope when we start restricting freedom of speech in any area. Interpreting lines is very difficult. You make exceptions for one thing, you end up making more. Eventually, you end up in a society run by fear and control. You cannot question authority. You see that in China where the internet is wiped clean of anti government literature. You see that in India where they wipe out FB groups for criticizing and trashing corrupt officials. You see that in theocratic nations where practicing a different belief system or legitimately criticizing a bad religious leader can lead to imprisonment.

Now I'm not condoning the film. This film was definitely an abuse of free speech. It was unethical, hateful, harmful, wrong, immoral and wrong on several levels. I have scant respect for people who are disdainful and hate mongering. But the way to counter abuse of free speech is not violence, nor is it censorship. The only way to counter it is proper use of free speech. Get the debate going. Educate and inform against the hate-mongers. Present your arguments and expose them as small minded racists, bigots, xenophobes, homophobes whoever they maybe.

I'm a colored minority, and no matter how much it offends or hurts me - I still support the rights of Neo Nazis and white supremacists to trash colored people, immigrants and minorities. I still support the rights of church groups to scream out "God Hates Fags". I support the rights of people to make fun of my country and my culture as dotheads, Apus and people who smell like curry. It is not because I am weak or have no pride in who I am, but because I am stronger and better than them. Suppressing their views will not change them or anything else. Their hatred will simmer and they will spread it in the privacy of their homes etc. Only when I let them speak out do I get the chance to speak back and counter them. Only when I let them speak out can I prove them wrong and perhaps change a few minds. Only when I let them speak out can I expose their small minds and prevent the easy spread of their ideas.

The following 11 member(s) liked the above post:

_Artemis_HeartBoogle.SchizLeadNitrateRehanismsub_rosamonarBeyond_the_VeilArwen.-Chandramukhi-Freethinker112

monar

IF-Sizzlerz

monar

Posted: 22 September 2012 at 9:49am | IP Logged
Irony of entire protest against America is, Locals are killed and local property is destroyed. US lost it's ambassador but locals are losing sanity and logic.

Samraat_92

Heart

Heart

Posted: 22 September 2012 at 11:59am | IP Logged
The locals are so busy in their Anti-US protests that they do not even realize that it is their property that is damaged and people that are hurt. Moreover, what is the reason for anti-US protest? It might be an American movie but they have done everything they can do by arresting the movie makers. The movie is has hurt religious sentiments but that does not mean you go and hurt innocent people who have nothing do with the movie, just because they are citizens of that particular country. 

Samraat_92

return_to_hades

IF-Veteran Member

return_to_hades

Posted: 22 September 2012 at 12:44pm | IP Logged
On the flip-side of things not all protests have been the typical "anti-America" and "anti-West" protests. We have to realize that the average civilian maybe conservative and religious, but is also peaceful and practical at the same time. Most people do not like terrorism or violence. They do not like extremists groups taking control and giving ordinary Muslims a bad name.

There have been several protests denouncing the terrorist attacks and apologizing for the violence. While mostly peaceful, some of them did attack extremist militant groups.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/09/21/world/africa/libya-benghazi-counter-protest/index.html

What we can hope for is that this sentiment carries through all Muslim nations so that more and more Muslims denounce extremist groups, especially the violent ones.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Rehanism-Chandramukhi-Beyond_the_Veil

wanker

Groupbie

wanker

Posted: 22 September 2012 at 4:39pm | IP Logged
When M.F Hussain painted naked pictures of Hindu goddess that was freedom of speech? Right!

Post Reply New Post

Go to top