Debate Mansion

Freedom of expression/Inflaming religious senti's (Page 2)

Post Reply New Post

Page 2 of 29

Page 1
Page   of 29
Page 3 Page 29

HawaaPot

IF-Sizzlerz

HawaaPot

Posted: 17 September 2012 at 1:06pm | IP Logged
I so agree with you!
They can't offend any religion's sentiments in the name of freedom of expression!

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Forever-KA

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Freedom of expression/Inflaming religious senti's (Page 2)" in Debate Mansion forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

Rehanism

IF-Dazzler

Rehanism

Posted: 17 September 2012 at 8:06pm | IP Logged
Very true..We should learn civility and the "limits" and proper use of freedom of expression from them:

Islam IS The Religion of Peace...Dare you say otherwise!!

Edited by Rehanism - 17 September 2012 at 9:34pm

zorrro

_Artemis_

_Artemis_

Posted: 17 September 2012 at 10:08pm | IP Logged
Ironical indeed

Edited by _Artemis_ - 17 September 2012 at 10:08pm

zorrro

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 18 September 2012 at 5:19am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

Aya.Forever-KAbaz786Samraat_92

Beyond_the_Veil

IF-Sizzlerz

Posted: 18 September 2012 at 5:22am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

HeartRehanism-Chandramukhi-Samraat_92

Rehanism

IF-Dazzler

Rehanism

Posted: 18 September 2012 at 5:51am | IP Logged
Originally posted by Beyond_the_Veil

@ Rehan: You probably made the post in jest, but I think the point was that things should be said in a civil and academic manner if one wishes to be taken seriously. All real "debates" generally have people from both the sides talking in academic and civilized manner even if the content of their speech can be deemed as offensive by some. I think that was the point most were trying to make.

Having said that, even if one is insulting a religion/race/country/person in the most offensive and ridiculous manner, killing or harming the person is inhuman and wrong in every angle. If the person is intentionally being misleading / a fraud, even then there are better ways to deal with the issue than using inhuman punishments.

On topic, I haven't seen the film so can't say how they have done it...I can't blame people from being riled up - but some of the ways they are dealing with this is ridiculous and probably more offensive than the movie can ever be!

No, I don't think I have made it in jest. The TM wrote :

Government should ban all anti religion films, videos, speeches to avoid the repercussion later. No body should interfere with religious habits and cultures followed as faith.

How strange it is that these people, most of whom are immigrants, who spurn freedom of expression and demand beheading and execution of Westerners standing on their soil, can do so only because the very same Western society has given them that freedom - something that is practically unthinkable in the societies these lunatics belong to!!

The truth is these savages don't have a clue what civilization is all about. And an even more shameful truth is that we, in our jest to prove our tolerance and large-hardheartedness, have placed a taboo on criticism of religion; we have made offending sentiments practically a capital offense. We have chosen to ignore the fact that while getting offended might be quite natural, riots and pogroms unleashed by religious communities are not a natural or involuntary reaction to criticism or mockery of religions. Its a conscious choice on behalf of the community to resort to violence and hooliganism rather than addressing their grievances through debates and discussions; like civilized humans are expected to do. And hence its the religious communities alone who bear the onus of their crimes. So lets stop the effing victim blaming!!

As for academic and literary criticism, isn't that what people like Salman Rushdie, Wafa Sultan, Taslima Nasrin, Ayan Hirsi Ali, Ali Sina etc tried to do? What happened to them - were they treated any differently from this director? Each one of them has got a death sentence and a bounty on their head. Theo Vann Hogue was stabbed to death in his own home land by rogue immigrants. Publishers of Salman Rushdie were murdered, book stores were set ablaze, nearly a hundred people died on account of riots. This is not the sort of behavior you can expect from sane and civilized human beings, no matter how hurt they are. No one in their right mind would speak of beheading and massacring even if you abuse their parents every single day without provocation. Nothing except for religion has the capability to induce this sort of madness in humans and that is why it is more important that we stop covering up or offering apologies on behalf of religions. Perhaps we believe that molly-coddling religious loonies might soften them up, but again we underestimate the sort of damage that faith can do to human minds. As Voltaire said, People who believe in absurdities can commit any atrocity.

Sam Harris writes :

To speak plainly and truthfully about the state of our world - to say, for instance, that the Bible and the Koran both contain mountains of life-destroying gibberish - is antithetical to tolerance as moderates currently conceive it. But we can no longer afford the luxury of such political correctness. We must finally recognize the price we are paying to maintain the iconography of our ignorance.

How many more architects and mechanical engineers must hit the wall at 400 miles an hour before we admit to ourselves that jihadist violence is not merely a matter of education, poverty, or politics? The truth, astonishingly enough, is that in the year 2006 a person can have sufficient intellectual and material resources to build a nuclear bomb and still believe that he will get 72 virgins in Paradise. Western secularists, liberals, and moderates have been very slow to understand this. The cause of their confusion is simple: They don't know what it is like to really believe in God.

Edited by Rehanism - 19 September 2012 at 3:43am

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

Boogle.Schiz-Aarya-sub_rosamonar-Chandramukhi-Vinzy

monar

IF-Sizzlerz

monar

Posted: 18 September 2012 at 5:20pm | IP Logged
Well religion is just another form of hypocrisy. Every time people fight on the name of religion makes me more skeptical about the entire concept.
I have heard lot of people are being punished in Saudi & other strict Islamic countries for practicing any religion other than Islam. Fair enough, Their country their rules. What I couldn't understand is people killing and dying for some random person in some "democracy" made a movie as per his narrow understanding of Islam. And in retaliation followers around the world are killing innocent people? Does Islam allow that? No one raised their voice when Catholic girl was asked by Imam to torn out the pages from Holy Quran in Pakistan?

I may sound rude or blunt, but I really want to understand why is Islamic world behaving victim all around the world? In India latest we saw the issue of illegal immigrants turned to violence against North Easterners (the fellow countrymen. To me, my country comes before my religion).

I read it somewhere (most prolly on twitter, and not exact words) - America is paying to bring democracy to the part of the world which doesn't deserve it. 

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Boogle.SchizBeyond_the_VeilSamraat_92

Heart

Heart

Posted: 19 September 2012 at 12:57am | IP Logged

Using freedom of speech to express your views, share information and facts is one thing, but defamation and incitement is wrong and should be punished. 
The fact that Youtube failed to remove the video on time citing "freedom of speech" really upsets me, especially after the series of events that have been happening all around the world. On September, Pakistan banned Youtube for not removing the film offensive to some people and will not remove the ban till the video is removed.
Also, US is investigating the attacks as it suspects the involvement of the terrorist groups in the attacks. The attacks, according to Obama, seemed too coordinated for a bunch of angry mob protesting against the video. 
It saddens me to see the length some people go to in the name of "freedom of speech", hurting religious sentiments and inciting mass protests, to make some money and fame. Religion is a very sensitive issue and should not be handled so lightly. Even if you disagree with something there are millions of people today who believe in it, and you can not force people with your views. 
What happened with Christopher Stevens is really sad. In a protest against a movie that is offensive to them, they killed someone who was trying to do something good. Hopefully the makers of the movie are severely punished. 

Aya.Forever-KAHawaaPotVinzy

Post Reply New Post

Go to top