Fan Fictions

Why Do You Read Our Stories? [PAGE 15!]

-publicenemy- thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Engager 3 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 11 years ago

Why Do You Read Our Stories?

Hello Readers,

By posting this letter here, I am hoping to engage you in a conversation about why people read Fanfictions.   It may seem somewhat self-evident, but it is not.  I became somewhat embroiled in a debate happening elsewhere on the forum yesterday where the discussion was focused on how not to write an FF.  While I have my own feelings about the subject and have in fact had long discussions with several of my writer friends about it, what I have come to realize is that the answer is not as clear as it first seems.  

As I have noted on another thread before, writings on India Forums runs the gamut of full novels narrated using SMS lingo to exceptionally talented writing.  Most novels here are written in English with the acknowledgment that English is not everyone's first language.  Many writers who are popular here may not necessarily have a good grasp of the language or, more specifically, the elements of writing.  I have been mystified by this in the past, as of course it makes sense to aspire to good writing.  However, I have come to realize that that is not everyone's need.  On that note, I am asking you readers to contribute your thoughts on the following:  

Why do you read our stories?  And by us, I mean any writer that you choose to read here and have been reading. 

What are you requirements for choosing and sticking with a story?    

How important are things like spelling and grammar?

Please do not feel intimidated to share.  One of the things that I have noticed on other threads debating similar issues is that the individuals who have a good grasp of the language use it to poke fun or crush the opposing arguments and it is painful to observe how unbalanced the playing field becomes in such a situation.  So, even if you feel that English is not your forte, please contribute your thoughts and I will clarify it if necessary.

Thank you for your time,

Devi   

Edited by Angel-Jot. - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

dumas thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
i read your stories because of the emotion the the character that you shape and the way you drag us in and hold us to the last word i read your story because of the beauty of your character and the way you see them whether we love or hate it all about how you show us the pov and their journey and yes you have a way of making us become one or better yet hold us to a charter ( i know i am later with comment will be catching up will do soon)  
Edited by dumas - 11 years ago
boyznaka thumbnail
Anniversary 15 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 5
Well, I read because I like reading. There's not much to it, really. If it's a good story, I can read it again and again.

Since we mostly have fan fictions here, I give preference to stories having those characters I know about. and this is just because that makes it easier for me to imagine the story, relate to the characters in some way and a clearer image is formed in my mind.

About spellings and grammar, too many wrong spellings are a no-no. Wrong grammar is partially bearabple. I can read "anyways" without banging my head on the nearest wall, but I cannot say the same about "She knew he was da is upto sumfin." Sorry but I am a Grammar Nazi that way. Doesn't mean I have anything against those writers ho aren't as, ugh, shall I say grammaticaly skilled? Hell, I am no Logicus McGrammar myself. But I stay away anyway. So, that.

P.S. It was fun to answer this post Devi. Very sensible questions. I like. =]
Edited by boyznaka - 11 years ago
Kishmish thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
I have just about started reading FF's since the past two -three months or so ... just looovvve  reading them ... and know for sure that I have missed out some fabulous stories published before I started reading ... 
I think that we are really lucky and blessed to get such a variety of writers with their fabulous stories in the Forum ... 

I love 
 reading FF's based on the serial firstly because I can visualise their characters in my mind ... but they may not necessarily be from the serial ... 
The vocabulary and grammar should be correct as far as possible ... I know writers make such an effort to write for us ... so really appreciate ALL the FF writers of the Forum ... 
The story should be interesting to hold the readers interest ... should have depth ... suspense ... 
The length of an update is not important as long as it conveys what the writer is trying to portray ...
I love interesting witty conversations between the leads ... 
And I do stalk a lot of times ... 
And try to appreciate the author's work wherever and whenever possible ... ðŸ˜‰

Ummm still thinking ... but I suppose that's all for me ... I wish I could write ... ðŸ˜•

Edited by Kishmish - 11 years ago
ashred12 thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
for me, apart fm d storyline in d ff, d presentation is d attraction...as in proper alignment, sentence formation, etc...but most imp for me is d way story moves...
for eg. ur stories (kh, lavender, bifa) ve a unique style...a new environment with d lead chars...unpredictable twists every chapter...
then there r ffs in ekta style...but then again how d story n chars ve been explained makes d interest...for eg. d ff mohabbat ki dor...
so i guess its d way chars r familiarised with d readers n d presentation style is one main attraction...Edited by ashred12 - 11 years ago
peepli thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 90 0 Thumbnail + 7
I read because I love reading..

As long as the writers update, I follow all stories faithfully, but if I am not impressed with a chapter I refrain from commenting..

spelling and grammar are very imp..but as long as its not too crass, I don't mind..Edited by peepli - 11 years ago
Siaa_Rickman thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Visit Streak 180 0 Thumbnail + 7
At the beginning we've been just the start, so I would never say I started reading a story due to it's story-line but yeah down the lane, it does really matter. Just like one notices the appearence of a person at the start, it's the same with a story. The presentation, the language do count at the very beginning and I believe of us do it. But I what I search for is apart from these trivial things, I look out for characters and the way they are being developed. There are some exceptionally good stories where in each chapter till the end one sees the evolution of a character. That's what I look out for. And the other priority for me is how well I'm able to connect to the story - here there are two aspects; one is how well I can understand the author's perspective and the other is how well the author is able to put her thought across. And when it comes to language, at the beginning I do find it difficult to inculcate my interest in a story that's apart from my base language -English by that I mean is it'll be in a broken language format showing that the author isn't too strong in it. And it does take a li'l amount to time to get used to it but if the writer is putting forth her thoughts and taking pain to make sure that it doesn't come out too bad, then as a reader I've no problem trying to ignore the grammar, spelling or whatsoever at all and this is just my POV. If I'm able to laugh along with the story, cry along, feel an immense anger towards a character, if I'm able to feel a wide range of emotions, then the author has done his job well and I know I'm intersted, addicted, absolutely adore the story and the oh-not-so trivial things like the appearences, language will not matter at all.
Everyone can be a critic. Period. But it does take a certain amount of patience, a li'l consideration, a li'l selfishness so that one makes sure one is not missing out a good story, and a bit of time to let the writer evolve herself to be a perfect reader...well let that be just a reader. 
Edited by -Siaa- - 11 years ago
reflorated thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
R

comment on page 6 :)
Edited by V323 - 11 years ago
sumali thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
Hi Devi! I am a regular reader here in IF. In fact, whenever I find time, I log in to IF. As far as I am concerned, a story holds my interest, if the plot is interesting, characters well etched, consistency in the traits of the characters etc. I almost like most of the FFs , but some I find irritating and usually don't prefer, are, the ones in SMS lingo or the ones where the dialogues are in Hindi. Though I am very fluent in Hindi ( Not a native speaker, but have been living in North for the past 15 years), I usuallly don't have the patience to read the hindi dialogues written in English.

I get you what you are talking about. In fact, I read all the comments posted in that particular thread. I am not going to comment who is right and who is wrong. But, I have always believed in " Money and advice are  best given only when asked for" because while  we feel whatever we are doing is for the benefit of the other person, that person may think differently and it might have hurt them.

I also believe that language is a means of communication. So, I am ok with passable mistakes, whether it is grammatical ,  punctuations or spellings. If I understand the concept and I enjoy the story, its fine for me.

Koeli thumbnail
As a reader...my expectations

-good storyline
-grippy scripting
-something to look forward to after reading each chapter
-suspense
-chiff hangers
-good characterization of the leads depth and consistency i.e

-not prolonged
-not too short
-not too much of spice
-ending the story in happy note
-spelling error should be checked if time permits.

-grammer doesnot matter as far as it is readable
-need to connect with the people

thats it for the time being
Edited by Appy_Indy - 11 years ago