arisai thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago
Dear Readers,

First and foremost, I wish to offer you all a sincere thank you. Art often does not become so until it is validated by observers as being so. The fact that so many of you take the time out to not only read, but also to comment on everything I write means a lot. When so many of you trusted the sudden, unexpected darker shift my writing took with Intoxicated and continued with it despite doubts as to a) whether I'd be able to write something so drastically different from my usual style b) the morality of the characters who in the very first chapter were revealed to be drastically immoral, I could've cried I was so happy for your belief in my ability.

Now that I'm balancing four FFs- two light-hearted and the other two so twisted I sometimes have to take breaks mid-way through writing a chapter, there are many of you who follow them all and also leave thought-provoking comments. I'm extremely happy when I read these and especially so when I hear that Tainted has encouraged so many of you to start exploring the world of literature (a pursuit you won't ever come to regret, I promise you). 

You readers make my time spent writing worth it, you have encouraged me, often inspired me and Shoes12, you have several times guessed at what I thought was a really good plot twist and forced me to do an abrupt about-turn and take the story in a completely different direction. 😆 Are you in my head?

I sincerely appreciate your efforts and I hope to maintain the mutual relationship a writer forms with their readers; one where I promise to try and continue to keep you interested in my writing enough that you wish to keep reading.

And now for PartTwo. This is a request:

Beloved readers- I love praise. I really do. It's motivational, it gives me a warm, happy feeling. And it encourages me. When I read a comment telling me that somebody loves what I wrote, or detailing exactly what it is they enjoyed- when someone analyses parts of an update and picks up on the fine nuances I intentionally put in there: it's both extremely satisfying and gratifying.

But I do not want this praise to be false-praise. I've only recently come to realise that the meaning of this isn't so clear to everybody: 

It basically just means "Don't tell me you liked it if you didn't. And if you didn't like it, then by ALL MEANS PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE TELL ME WHAT I COULD HAVE DONE DIFFERENTLY."

Simple right?

There appears to be a fear culture amongst readers that if they say something critical about the writer's work, then not only the writer but all their readers will jump down their throat and attack them. I myself experienced this recently when I offered some advice to a fellow writer. And it's true, being told to go to hell or that you're a basher or that someone you don't even know hates you is a little bitter to swallow. Seeing the writer thanking the same people saying these horrible, unnecessary things even more so.

But I really think a lot of it is down to how the writer reacts themselves. I want you to feel free to write anything and everything you thought about my writing, be this positive or critical. Even if you left me a page of mistakes to correct, you could expect a reply from me thanking you for this. You readers help me to grow. You help me to improve. You help me to strive for perfection. You push me forward

You inspire me.

If I didn't want you to be honest with me, I wouldn't have shared my writing with you. I hope to inspire people to write and I believe if they see me striving to hone and perfect my craft, then they too would strive for excellence when they write. 

Flaming is unnecessary, I would never write on somebody's story "HATE DIS U SUK STP RYTING LOLOL!" but some honest critique I have received before which I appreciated was the following- the reader PMed me this but honestly, I do not mind at ALL if they would have commented on the story itself as PMs take me forever to check. This way, my readers could have made sure that I took the advice and improved. So yeah, they said this (about Intoxicated):

Hi Rafa, please don't take this the wrong way and it's okay if you ignore this completely, but I really loved this story and wanted to let you know. I love how your characters do such shocking things which, I have to say, really shock me, but I still somehow find myself liking them so much even though I know I should hate them. Thank you for writing such a gripping story. What I wanted to say was sometimes, you repeat a few phrases and words several times so I get the feeling like deja vu a little. Please don't mind me, just saying what I thought. I did love the story and I'm definitely going to read through your Index now! 

I offered my heartfelt thanks to the PMer for pointing out my weakness- something I hadn't even realised I did, and from that point onwards, I have made a conscious effort to vary my vocabulary and ensure I don't reuse a phrase too often if it flags up in my mind as sounding a little too familiar...

This reader helped me by telling me the truth. I am now a better writer because of them. I am sincerely grateful to them for helping me to improve as a writer.

I would hate to remain stuck where I am. Before I posted Intoxicated, I had a huge panic to my friends on this forum- all of whom had read things such as You've Got Mail or Soulmates... Had they told me that I was fine continuing as I already was and that they would stop reading my work if I changed my style, then I would never have published Intoxicated. Nor, consequently, would I have begun writing Tainted or The Svengali. Even Cafe du Soleil has hints of more mature humour and situations so even that... 

What I basically mean is, I'm so grateful to Aaliyah, Haffy, Liya, Mari, Nami, Ouma, Ridz and Rissy for helping me to bloom as a writer. I can't quite express how much it means to me that you guys were there at the beginning, pushing me to be better and do more and that you stayed with me through it all. Are still there as I continue. And Liya, though I will never understand why you love Arnav in Intoxicated so much when there is AMAN to be had, I love you for all the spam-love you left me and all the pressure you piled on to update it almost daily till it was done. 

So my dear readers, thank you for what you have made me today and infinite advance thank yous for what you will make me in the future. I look forward to taking this journey with you.

Sincerely,
Rafa 
Edited by arisai - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

--Siva-- thumbnail
Anniversary 13 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail Networker 3 Thumbnail
This is one beautiful and heart felt emotion.

I'd really agree to point. If you dont like it then dont give harsh comments instead be silent or say what could be possible way for improvement.

Help people develop not deteriorate. Not everyone is blessed with vocabulary or creativity.

Nice thoughts!
Jyo.Arshi.IPK thumbnail
Anniversary 14 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 7
Hey Rafa 🤗
ur post truly touched my heart !!!!!
well am looking forward to reading more of ur creations !!!!!
all the best for ur writing as well as all your future endeavours !!!!! 
valeyrie thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
hi Rafa,
That was really heartfelt emotion... and I really love your writing...😊
not read much of your work, but that's just because I am a lazy reader, and mostly prefer to read the stories which are either complete, or from writers who update regularly, coz it feels to me like I am keeping a book read half way down..😆
Anyway have read your story Intoxicated and now currently reading Svengali... Hoping to read more of your works from your Index and giving you the feedback regarding them...

Edited by ArnavLuvsKhushi - 11 years ago
EXPELLIARMUS thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Engager 4 Thumbnail + 8
Thank you, for the wonderful stories, plots and characters you have given us.
You are one of my favorite writers on this forum!
About the second part of your post, point taken and noted. 
Here's hoping you go from strength to strength, and continue to entertain us with your works!
Edited by EXPELLIARMUS - 11 years ago
Eggon_Snow thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 6
Excellent post. It is nice to know that constructive criticism is valued by you.

I've been reading your more recent works so I don't know how you started out as a novice, but I can assure you that whatever I have read has left me mightily impressed with not just your obvious writing skill, but also your ability to delve into the more grey areas of human personality deftly.

So keep up the good work and do reward us with many more enchanting tales.

damonzlady thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
you are an awesome writer!👏

love all your work!
MagicalKash thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 2
First of all, I am new to your stories, but I would have to say Thank you. Thank you for sharing your stories with us. They are highly entertaining , sometimes inspiring and sometimes just plain humorous.
And what you said is true, criticism is as important for someone to grow, as praise. But what's important is that criticism should be constructive instead of destructive. It should help writer grow instead of putting him down. You gave a perfect example of constructive criticism.
Why I as a reader shy away from critiquing? Its because I dont know how anyone will react, I dont want to be bashed and hence I remain silent.
Though I'll be more open now when I comment on your work, although I doubt I'll find any faults there.
Thank you once again for writing.
jessicad thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 6
So hey rafa! :) 
Directed myself from the CC here. 
Aw your post was such a nice heartfelt response to all your readers.
I've only just started reading your work. I think I mentioned on the CC that I'm currently going through your index. I read Intoxicated and loved it. No seriously, loved it. 
I wrote you something on the CC, do see :) and I think it contains most of what I want to say.
And I must agree with you, it's the readers and them alone that inspire you and bloom you into a better writer. If not for them, we would never know our flaws, and that is the main reason why constructive criticism is always welcome! 
 A lovely, lovely post! :)
Kookiemonster thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
I just love your stuff dammit.
Your writing roxxx.
BAS.
This was short and full of hidden meaning.
Solve this riddle.