Mythological Masti

Mockery of Religion in Films? DT Note: Pg10 (Page 9)

Post Reply New Post

Page 9 of 11

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 15 November 2012 at 7:42pm | IP Logged
I haven't seen that movie Aishu, what did that song have?

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Mockery of Religion in Films? DT Note: Pg10 (Page 9)" in Mythological Masti forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

lola610

IF-Rockerz

lola610

Posted: 15 November 2012 at 7:44pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by namrata1111

all this is happeneing bcoz of the distorted story shown in tv serials.these serials r misleading us.

TRANSLATION

Thereafter, His father, being afraid of kamsa, brought Him to the cow pastures of Maharaja Nanda, and there He lived for eleven years like a covered flame with His elder brother, Baladeva

shri krishna was only 11 yr old child when he left vrindavan n then never returned. but tv serials show him 16 -17 yr old in rasa dance n romancing with radha. n this is how confusion arises.

I'm going to have to disagree with this for the simple fact that distortions are a whole different issue from disrespect. Yes, mytho shows get their facts wrong - some more often, some less, but none are 100% error free. (As far as Krishna's age is concerned, different sources have him at different ages ranging from 8 to 14, so using an alternate one is not necessarily an error, but that's another matter). BUT this by default is not an invitation for viewers to disrespect the divine characters they portray, unless of course they show has handled that particular character in a blatantly maligning way. The shows may get a fact about a character wrong or embellish things that aren't in the old source material, but still depict him/her reverently and make viewers learn something positive from them. That is poetic/dramatic license which mytho makers, poets, playwrights and novelists have been utilizing for ages now. The immaturity, ignorance and irreverence that leads people to cheaply parody divine figures in pop culture is something else entirely. One viewer can watch a teenage Krishna "romancing" Radha and learn about the purity and endurance of true love and devotion, and another can see it as an excuse to call Krishna a playboy. It won't do Krishna any harm; it's a reflection of the person's own quality of thought. It's a matter of how you're brought up, and moreover, who you are.

Since I haven't weighed in on the main issue of this thread, here I go. It was hard for me to begin because I'm generally pretty thick-skinned about this stuff. It takes very specific types of insults against my faithto get me riled up. For instance, that "Raghupati Raghav" rendition from KKHH doesn't really bother me. I find it annoying to listen to because of the high pitched chorus and phony accents, but not insulting. Another example - under one of the Sita Swayamvar clips on youtube, I once saw this comment referring to Ram breaking the Shiv Dhanush - "from that point onward, he was called 'Ram-bow'!". Get it? Like Rambo, but "bow" because he broke it? It was a dumb joke, but I found myself chuckling at it for a second because it was pretty innocent. Same with the joke about the school kid who answers the intimidating examiner's question "who broke the Shiv dhanush" by saying "it wasn't me, I promise!" However, something like "Character Dheela" or the various Southern film dialogues that Janu and SahasranamaM pointed out do bother me, because in those, characters are being explicitly maligned. People are looking at their actions as those of simple humans and thinking that it's ok to mock them accordingly. You don't need to go through various texts, learn about Bhrigu's curse and other explanations for Sita's Vanvaas, and then decide that "no, it's not ok to call Shri Ram a bad husband and a chauvenist". You don't need to check all the puraanas that have Shri Krishna's life story to know that his pastimes with his devotees had very different implications from ordinary human friendships/romances.
If you are a pure-hearted person with some common sense, then even without knowing all these underlying facts you can understand where to draw the line.

Edited by lola610 - 15 November 2012 at 10:51pm

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

DebipriyaShivangBuchvaraalimythili2..RamKiJanaki..

namrata1111

Posted: 16 November 2012 at 4:21am | IP Logged
THE ACCOUNT OF THE MEMBER WHO POSTED THIS MESSAGE HAS BEEN TEMPORARILY BANNED.

If you think this is an error please Contact us.

namrata1111

Posted: 16 November 2012 at 4:26am | IP Logged

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

Stalwart.

Stalwart.

Goldie

Stalwart.

Posted: 16 November 2012 at 5:28am | IP Logged

Mahabharat Sauptika Parva 12/30:immediately after
marriage krishna went to badrika ashram with his wife rukmini n 
observed strict celibacy for 12 years n they ate,only fruits n herbs.n after 12 years they had their child pradyumn..
acc to mahabhrat sabha parva: shri krishna was a profound scholar of veda and vedangas.

these verses are part of core mahabhrat written by maharishi veda vyasa..

I LOVE THESE LINES...Clap

namrata1111

namrata1111

Posted: 16 November 2012 at 5:55am | IP Logged

Stalwart.

Stalwart.

Goldie

Stalwart.

Posted: 16 November 2012 at 6:32am | IP Logged

Originally posted by Krishni51

Mahabharat Sauptika Parva 12/30:immediately after
marriage krishna went to badrika ashram with his wife rukmini n 
observed strict celibacy for 12 years n they ate,only fruits n herbs.n after 12 years they had their child pradyumn..
acc to mahabhrat sabha parva: shri krishna was a profound scholar of veda and vedangas.

these verses are part of core mahabhrat written by maharishi veda vyasa..

I LOVE THESE LINES...Clap

its such a pity, all this qualities of yogeshwar krishna is not popularised. 

radha was popularised by jaidev in 12 century.who wrote geet govinda .

Gitagovinda was composed specifically for dance performance during the night worship of Lord Jagannatha, the composition is so deftly made as to be sung to the beats of a dancer's foot movements. The author himself at the end of the Kavya again states this fact, where he again emphasizes that  it is clothed in Srngara rasa . The poem became so popular that within a century or so, it spread to all corners of the country from east to south, west and north and was adapted to dance, music, painting and temple worship.

NEVER NEW THESEOuch...THANK YOUEmbarrassed...HEY BHAGWAAN COME AND SOLVE ALL OUR QUESTIONS???????ALSO DISSOLVE ALL OUR STUPIDITY!!!!!!!!!!Day Dreaming

namrata1111

lola610

IF-Rockerz

lola610

Posted: 16 November 2012 at 2:01pm | IP Logged

plz give reference to this .

As far as Krishna's age is concerned, different sources have him at different ages ranging from 8 to 14.

reference means name of the scripture and verse no.

Sure! Since at the moment I have the Bhagavatam handy and will have to do a bit of digging to find my Garg Samhita and BVP translations, let's just start with that. The Dasam Skanda's 45th Adhyay describes Shri Krishna reunion with Devaki and Vasudev. Among other very touching statements, he tells his parents the following in the 3rd verse: "n'ashmato yuvayos taata, nity'otkanthitayor api; baalya, pauganda, kaishoraah, putraabhyam abhavan kvachit". Meaning that "you two were always worried sick about us, being deprived of the chance to enjoy witnessing our childhood, youth and teen years". That "kishore avastha" is defined as: "kaishoram a panchadashad" - it ends at the age of 15. If Shri Krishna himself says that his parents completely missed that phase of his life, then he is implying that he's at least in his 15th year. The verse you supplied is spoken by Uddhav much, much later in the text. The discrepancy can be explained as a lapse in Uddhav's memory, hyperbole on his part as a devotee, hyperbole on Shri Krishna's part out of empathy for his parents, or - the explanation which I most often rely on for such discrepancies that sometimes occur in a text, especially this one - the contribution of different authors to that text over time until it becomes the version that we read today.

In any case, we can't conclusively say that Krishna was wrong, or Uddhav was wrong. I personally believe that because Shri Krishna was a Purnaavtaar, he was capable of demonstrating divine love at any age.  But moreover, as far as the subject of this thread is concerned, Krishna's age is irrelevant. Much as I'm enjoying our discussion of it, we can continue it in the doubts thread.  Here, the issue is of pop culture's disrespect towards religion and divine figures, and regardless of whatever age Shri Krishna was whilst enacting various leelas, it's never going to be excusable or even explicable for people to mock Him.

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

Debipriyamythili2..RamKiJanaki..

Post Reply New Post

Go to top