Mythological Masti

Mockery of Religion in Films? DT Note: Pg10 (Page 7)

Post Reply New Post

Page 7 of 11

SahasranamaM

Groupbie

SahasranamaM

Posted: 27 October 2012 at 9:18am | IP Logged
Originally posted by JanakiRaghunath

Originally posted by SahasranamaM

Hopefully today..! But I should stop with this one. Else it will gradually turn out to be a thread for posting such films/videos and literally we might become the ones responsible for promoting it thereby reciprocating the intention of this thread..~Shocked Fortunately or unfortunately such comedy shows/movie clippings are in abundance as far as Malayalam entertainment industry is concerned.

I don't think this thread will promote such films or shows. In fact, it will raise awareness among people to speak out against them. These types of dialogues and skits are common in Telugu too.

Hmm...but what I have found is that even though Telugu people come with such spoofs, they have a good population who still respect mytho movies. The best example would be Sreeramarajyam. But in Malayalam film industry, none can ever imagine coming out with a film related to our epics, no matter even if it is a technically perfect movie in all terms. The mass audience here will just boo..!

Edited by SahasranamaM - 27 October 2012 at 9:18am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

.anishaa...RamKiJanaki..

Dear Guest, Being an unregistered member you are missing out on participating in the lively discussions happening on the topic "Mockery of Religion in Films? DT Note: Pg10 (Page 7)" in Mythological Masti forum. In addition you lose out on the fun interactions with fellow members and other member exclusive features that India-Forums has to offer. Join India's most popular discussion portal on Indian Entertainment. It's FREE and registration is effortless so JOIN NOW!

SahasranamaM

Groupbie

SahasranamaM

Posted: 27 October 2012 at 11:25am | IP Logged
I tried translating..But got irritated after 3-4 minutes..!!
SO just posting the video. Watch from 17:00 to 27:28..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=flAZrRFPkxM&feature=related

Edited by SahasranamaM - 27 October 2012 at 11:25am

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

.anishaa...RamKiJanaki..

arun-deeps

IF-Rockerz

arun-deeps

Posted: 28 October 2012 at 12:19am | IP Logged
gr8 topic raised Anisha!Clap
I also agree that films has made mockery of our beautiful Religion!I remember in one movie Aftaab Shivdasaani saying-"Krishna kare to raasleela hum karein to character dheela"...even as Lola di pointed our Charachter dheela song...was so insulting...why ppl take Krishna's name when they talk abt affairs??  I don't get if they don't know the whole story they must not indulge such a beloved and honorable character in vain...In Shreemad Bhagvat...it is written that Krishna was just 12 when he performed Rasleela...and we can't imagine a child doing any 'character dheela type' things at this tender age.
Also Krishna's reason for marrying many wives wasn't wrong, actually, he saved the lives of all those women, who had lost their dignity and were afraid of the society!Ouch Krishna gave dem his name..today ppl disrespect women in many ways..I ask..can any1 today can take such a step to save women's dignity??Shocked
If ppl don't know abt the greatness of a character, they mustn't  drag their names in vain!Ouch
 I was really upset frm one more movie 'Raavan' which starred Abhishek and Aishwarya..they also showed very disrespectful things abt Siya Ram...Angry When Aish returns to her husband and he comes to know that she's pregnant, he suspects her...this was really disgusting ..what these ppl are trying to portray out of Ram or Krishna's serene charactersShocked

One more superhit serial "Kyunki saas bhi kabhi bahu thi" in that show everything was fine but a negetive character called Tripti says-"Bhaad mein gaye tumhare thakurji"

It was so bad!Angry I felt really very bad!Angry
Also in comedy circus they telecast mytho spl episodes...where they insult the mytho characters like anything!!Ouch
I remember one writer wrote a book on Draupadi, where he wrote that she was used to hv relation with many husbands...u see how ppl can fall, their hands don't tremble at all while pointing fingers on such a SatiCry n more humiliating was the fact that he added that Draupadi and Krishna had a love affair...Cry
Media shows how Dhongi Baba/sadhus cheats ?? But have they shown how innocents cows of Krishna's are killed in many places and they celebrate Go Maas Mahotsava with full joy??ShockedAngry I agree that every religion has fraud ppl in it...such ppl take an advantage of their own beautiful religionsCry but only one religion is mostly dragged everywhere and no1 speaks...why??Shocked
This happens mostly with our Hindu religion?? Why??Cry coz this religion is always forgiving, aren't we taking our religion for grantedShocked

Edited by arun-deeps - 28 October 2012 at 12:22am

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

SahasranamaMShivangBuch.Vrish..anishaa.mythili2cityoflights..RamKiJanaki..

SahasranamaM

Groupbie

SahasranamaM

Posted: 28 October 2012 at 1:10am | IP Logged
Originally posted by arun-deeps

gr8 topic raised Anisha!Clap
This happens mostly with our Hindu religion?? Why??Cry coz this religion is always forgiving, aren't we taking our religion for grantedShocked

That's exactly the same thought which we share Arun-Deeps. The problem is that majority of the Hindus aren't concerned/worried about it (The fact is that they are ignorant. So what makes them bother??!!). Whereas it is different when we consider other religions. They start learning about it right from age of 3 or 4 and will gradually develop a respect toward it which will never gets down due to their regular practices in the church/mosque. But there are no such compulsory schools for Hindus. Their only scope for knowledge of religion is through grandparents(which is almost a rare species in nuclear families) and parents (this generation parents are even not aware of it much..even if they knew, the would have forgotten it due to the busy schedule and need not consider it to be important anymore in this world. Instead, they want their children to spend time studying about time management, goals, ambitions, investment, social status..blah..blah..blah..). The only remaining chance is though an ACK or TV serials. (and I strongly feel majority of the Hindu youth doesn't consider it as something important).

And obviously, that is the reason why fellows from other religions would protest if their beliefs are harmed though an art form, but Hindus remain mum/enjoy since they haven't developed any emotional attachment towards it.

Edited by SahasranamaM - 28 October 2012 at 2:43am

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

ShivangBuch.anishaa.arun-deepscityoflights..RamKiJanaki..

visrom

IF-Veteran Member

visrom

Posted: 29 October 2012 at 6:24am | IP Logged

To be honest (and people may disagree), I think the new Ramayan by Sagar Pictures is a mockery of religion.Ouch It started off fine, but the show has gone totally off tune and the way they are writing Shri Ram's story is plain insulting! Viewers are not ignorant. They will not accept whatever lies are shown in the name of God. I personally was highly offended by the way the characters were portrayed in last week's episode. And juding from the promo for Sunday's episode, they've ruined the noble character of Bharat too.Unhappy

Here are the worst points of the show in my opinion:

1. Kaikeyi humiliating and taunting Sita right upon her entrance to Ayodhya as a bride.

ShockedShockedShockedShocked I am glad I don't watch this show.

2. Lakshman telling Parashuram that he'll kill him during Sita's Swayamvar (seriously, a Raghuvanshi threatening to kill a Brahmin!Ouch)

Lakshman maybe hot tempered but he would never say this...this is completely OTT

3. Kaushalya, Sumitra, Kaikeyi, and Dashrath forcing Ram to remarry the morning after his return to Ayodhya as a married man, right in front of Sita who is being portrayed as the typical weepy bahu.

Re-marry????Shocked ShockedShockedShockedShocked  whom?????

4. Ram and Bharat competing for the throne of Ayodhya and Bharat coming out as the winner (WTH!).

Pinch Pinch Pinch Pinch

5. Kaikeyi being portrayed as the cruel Sasuma while Sita is the typical damsel in distress bahu of indian television.

OH SICK...she was always nice and affectionate to Ram and would never be cruel to Sita. This is the main reason everyone was shocked at Kaikeyi's sudden change. She would have never needed a Manthara.

Watching last week's episode and the promo for Sunday, I am convinced that what I'm watching is NOT Ramayan. It's a typical saas-bahu soap and if this cannot be considered a mockery of religion, I don't know what else can.Ermm

I am glad I don't watch this show. This is the main reason I avoid all Ramayans. The one I watched is forever etched in my mind and I don't want anything else to spoil the memories of whatever I have seen.

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

ShivangBuch.anishaa.mythili2..RamKiJanaki..

..RamKiJanaki..

IF-Stunnerz

..RamKiJanaki..

Posted: 29 October 2012 at 8:19am | IP Logged
Originally posted by visrom

I am glad I don't watch this show. This is the main reason I avoid all Ramayans. The one I watched is forever etched in my mind and I don't want anything else to spoil the memories of whatever I have seen.
I generally try to watch all the versions of Ramayan because of my love for Ram and Sita, but some of the versions really go overboard.Ouch I had much rather watch BRC's Ramayan instead of this one if I get the chance. I had my reservations about it at first, but in comparison it can't be worse than this, lol.

For me at least, the two Ramayans by Sagar Arts are enough for me. I'm satisfied.Smile

Btw, you're right that no matter how angry Lakshman may have gotten, he'd never have threatened to kill Parashuram as he was still pious at heart. A Raghuvanshi would never raise their sword against a Brahmin, even if it's only a threat.Ermm This scene ruined the swayamvar sequence for me, which was otherwise not that bad.

Another scene from the new Ramayan which was totally wrong was that they changed the muhurat of Ram and Sita. They made up this story of how Ram is a manglik, so the devtas sent Chandra dev dressed as an apsara to delay the marriage from not happening on Uttara Phalguni (which is wrong since in all temples, Ram-Sita vivah is celebrated every year on Uttara Phalguni nakshatra only). What was sick about this scene was that all the Raghuvanshis were attracted to the apsara, even Vasishta and Vishavamitra.Dead I was horrified by the way they made the sages seem so lustful!

Edited by JanakiRaghunath - 29 October 2012 at 8:22am

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

SahasranamaMShivangBuch.anishaa.mythili2visrom

SahasranamaM

Groupbie

SahasranamaM

Posted: 30 October 2012 at 5:36am | IP Logged

Originally posted by visrom

I generally try to watch all the versions of Ramayan because of my love for Ram and Sita, but some of the versions really go overboard.Ouch I had much rather watch BRC's Ramayan instead of this one if I get the chance. I had my reservations about it at first, but in comparison it can't be worse than this, lol.

For me at least, the two Ramayans by Sagar Arts are enough for me. I'm satisfied.Smile

Btw, you're right that no matter how angry Lakshman may have gotten, he'd never have threatened to kill Parashuram as he was still pious at heart. A Raghuvanshi would never raise their sword against a Brahmin, even if it's only a threat.Ermm This scene ruined the swayamvar sequence for me, which was otherwise not that bad.

Another scene from the new Ramayan which was totally wrong was that they changed the muhurat of Ram and Sita. They made up this story of how Ram is a manglik, so the devtas sent Chandra dev dressed as an apsara to delay the marriage from not happening on Uttara Phalguni (which is wrong since in all temples, Ram-Sita vivah is celebrated every year on Uttara Phalguni nakshatra only). What was sick about this scene was that all the Raghuvanshis were attracted to the apsara, even Vasishta and Vishavamitra.Dead I was horrified by the way they made the sages seem so lustful!

Janaki, Making sages lustful is something that everyone would like to do IMO. The common men exhibits it in the form of making/applauding for spoofs and the learned ones will come out with their own interpretations and versions which ultimately would be making all +ve characters -ve and vice versa. Just like Mani Ratnam made Ravan a hero and Rama a villain.

In Malayalam, there is a book called Bharathaparyadanam (Indian travelogue). The writer is a famous personality of the 20th century, Kuttikrishnamarar. The books contains a dozen stories taken from Mahabharat, but narrated with his own views and interpretations. In the story of Amba, the portion where Parashurama offers her help and meet/challenge Bhishma, the writer claims that it was because Parashurama lusted over Amba, forgot all his status and position, and challenged Bhishma even though he knew that he is wrong and Bhishma would never accept Amba. Writer also says that Parashurama must have thought Amba would request shelter under him if she gets deserted by Bhishma-her last abode..!!

Edited by SahasranamaM - 30 October 2012 at 5:36am

The following 4 member(s) liked the above post:

.Vrish..anishaa.mythili2..RamKiJanaki..

.Vrish.

Viewbie

.Vrish.

Posted: 04 November 2012 at 9:18pm | IP Logged
Actually, Parashurama in my book is a pretty despicable character, and so are Dronacharya, Kripacharya, Ashwatthama.   & Durvasa.  So while I disdain the mockery of Hindu deities as a whole, I have absolutely no problems w/ any of these being mocked.  Yeah, Vashistha & Vishwamitra deserve more respect (Vishwamitra less), but in Parashuram's case, even if Kuttikrishnamarar had written that Parashurama consummated Amba in return for fighting Bheeshma, I'd not have had problems w/ Parashurama being maligned in this way, although I would have been annoyed @ Amba being maligned

Post Reply New Post

Go to top