Mockery of Religion in Films? DT Note: Pg10 - Page 2

Posted: 11 years ago

Aweosme topic Anisha! πŸ‘ 

I agree...it is NOT ok to slightly satirize/poke fun at religion in mainstream cinema. To me, it's totally disgusting.🀒 I get angry when I see the carelessness with which religion and devotion is depicted in these "modern" films! Do they even realise the harm they're doing? 

Here are some more examples:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUBiAy8NB7U[/YOUTUBE]

DL:  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUBiAy8NB7U

^ The popular Dum Maaro Dum...tell me, who after watching this wouldn't think people chanting "Hare Krishna Hare Ram" are a bunch of doped up hippies?!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CMBCfxN1lU[/YOUTUBE]

DL: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CMBCfxN1lU

^ The even more disgusting remix of Dum Maaro Dum! 

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0VKuLL9GGpY[/YOUTUBE]

How often in films do we see devotees of Shivji all high on bhang and making utter fools of themselves?! And how many real devotees behave like this?

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovRfoI9yfi8[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Vedo - 11 years ago
A very good topic.
I loved the movie Kuch kuch hota hai but i was shocked when i saw the remix version of Raghupati Raghav Raja Ram.I felt the way they showed it,they are giving this message that,'IT'S COOL TO MAKE BHAJANS POP SONGS'🀒which was totally disgusting.At that time,i was wondering how come no one objected to the song.Actually the song deserved to be deleted from the movie as it's totally disgusting.
Another example was in the movie,Shaadi No.1 where the hero tells his wife that u pray to Lord Krishna who has many wives so u should not object if ur husband marries again.😑In the next scene,she started praying to Lord Ram to teach her husband a 'lesson'.The makers showed Lord Krishna as polygamous and an inspiration for such loose character husbands.
In the movie Masti,the hero makes fun of his wife because she spends all her time doing poojas and bhakti of Gods as if doing that is a sin.

Another recent example is this popular song from the movie Cocktail.The words 'Tum hi ho bandhu,sakha tumhi' are taken from one old Krishna bhajan and made it a hip hop song.This too is disgusting.They made these lines impure the way they showed them in the song.

I am wondering people object to sex,violence in movies but how come no one objects when people make a mockery of God and bhajans.If someone would have objected to the use of Raghupati Raghav...in kuch kuch hota hai then other makers wouldn't have dared to do all these.
I currently am a DT member of Saubhagyavati Bhava, which once rivaled DkDM as the #1 show on LifeOK.  There is one thing about that serial that rubs me the wrong way, and actually had me reported to my own DT when I pointed it out.

The story essentially was themed around domestic violence - a girl named Jhanvi is tormented by her husband Viraj for months, gets raped by him, becomes pregnant and loses her child when he beats her in her pregnant condition.  After that point, she, along w/ her MIL, makes good her escape, but her car crashes, & her MIL is killed.  W/ the help of Viraj's doctor who revealed to them that he had an OCPD disorder, she faked her death, fled to another city under an assumed name Sia, and found another guy (the other lead of the serial), whose name is Raghav.  He sheltered her, and her husband secretly discovered her whereabouts and stalked her.  Several months later, she told Raghav about it, and after a whole series of convoluted events, Viraj was exposed, arrested and sent to jail.  She applied for a divorce, and in today's episode, finally got it.

Now, since his name is Raghav, and her (assumed) name is Sia, the serial casts their relationship as a Rama-Sita relationship.  I support her getting a divorce from her husband and marrying Raghav, but I've had a real beef w/ this Rama-Sita theme to their romance, since the parallels b/w them are just not there.  I once pointed out that if Jhanvi/Sia was Sita, then logically, that would make her husband Viraj Rama, not Raghav, and I was reported  to my DT for equating Rama to a rapist 🀒  Somehow, not many recognize how odious the comparison is, even putting aside the fact that Jhanvi is nothing compared to Sita, nor is Raghav to Rama.  But whenever the serial shows an action sequence of Raghav, it plays in rap-like notes 'Raghupati Raghav Raja Rama' and has made that almost Raghav's second ID. 🀒

Aside from that, I agree w/ Varaali's views on this.  I don't watch movies, but yeah, they'd be a lot less fast & loose w/ mocking religions other than Hindu.  I disagree w/ her a bit on Christianity, since throughout the West, the DaVinci Chronicles were freely shown, and all that Christian groups did were to appeal to their flock to boycott it, which is a perfectly legitimate appeal.  In India, that movie was banned only in a few states, making India the only country to go any length against an anti-Christian movie.

But yeah, either mock ALL religions, or mock NONE.
Edited by .Vrish. - 11 years ago
Originally posted by .Vrish.

I currently am a DT member of Saubhagyavati Bhava, which once rivaled DkDM as the #1 show on LifeOK.  There is one thing about that serial that rubs me the wrong way, and actually had me reported to my own DT when I pointed it out.

The story essentially was themed around domestic violence - a girl named Jhanvi is tormented by her husband Viraj for months, gets raped by him, becomes pregnant and loses her child when he beats her in her pregnant condition.  After that point, she, along w/ her MIL, makes good her escape, but her car crashes, & her MIL is killed.  W/ the help of Viraj's doctor who revealed to them that he had an OCPD disorder, she faked her death, fled to another city under an assumed name Sia, and found another guy (the other lead of the serial), whose name is Raghav.  He sheltered her, and her husband secretly discovered her whereabouts and stalked her.  Several months later, she told Raghav about it, and after a whole series of convoluted events, Viraj was exposed, arrested and sent to jail.  She applied for a divorce, and in today's episode, finally got it.

Now, since his name is Raghav, and her (assumed) name is Sia, the serial casts their relationship as a Rama-Sita relationship.  I support her getting a divorce from her husband and marrying Raghav, but I've had a real beef w/ this Rama-Sita theme to their romance, since the parallels b/w them are just not there.  I once pointed out that if Jhanvi/Sia was Sita, then logically, that would make her husband Viraj Rama, not Raghav, and I was reported  to my DT for equating Rama to a rapist 🀒  Somehow, not many recognize how odious the comparison is, even putting aside the fact that Jhanvi is nothing compared to Sita, nor is Raghav to Rama.  But whenever the serial shows an action sequence of Raghav, it plays in rap-like notes 'Raghupati Raghav Raja Rama' and has made that almost Raghav's second ID. 🀒

Aside from that, I agree w/ Varaali's views on this.  I don't watch movies, but yeah, they'd be a lot less fast & loose w/ mocking religions other than Hindu.  I disagree w/ her a bit on Christianity, since throughout the West, the DaVinci Chronicles were freely shown, and all that Christian groups did were to appeal to their flock to boycott it, which is a perfectly legitimate appeal.  In India, that movie was banned only in a few states, making India the only country to go any length against an anti-Christian movie.

But yeah, either mock ALL religions, or mock NONE.
This trend has been started by Ekta maiya.For higher trps,she glorified her lead characters to such an extent that they were literally Gods and Godesses in the garb of humans,specially the heroines.πŸ˜†I used to watch her serials,kyunki,kahani and kasauti long back.whenever the heroines of these serials are shown even walking,'Ya devi sarvabhuteshu..."bhajan would come in the background as if they are Godesses walking on the earth.πŸ˜†πŸ˜†πŸ˜†
Whenever the hero and heroinw would meet after 20 years leap,"Ram Ram Jai Sita Ram"bhajan would play in the background as if Ram and Sita met with each other after 20 long years of vanvaas.πŸ˜†Other serials copied this theme and today it has become one more trend.I used to hate it when the lead characters in her serials were compared with Gods.
I am wondering when this trend will fade away.  
Anisha..!! Excellent discussion topic.!

Well.. If you people are not aware of our Mollywood, to your knowledge, B town mockeries and satires are far far better than those made in our Mollywood movies.

All the recent comedy crackers in Malayalam films will have some mockeries (if it is just a situational comedy, let it be..we can just avoid it or ignore). But they refer to our great epics and characters wherever a double meaning comedy is required. And the craziest thing is that we, the Malayalees always encourage such attempts and whoever questions it are considered as barbarians, uncivilized, non secular etc.

Almost all comedy shows on Tv, even for school cultural meets, there will be at least 2-3 mockeries of Ravana abducting Sita, Draupadi's vasthrakshepa, Shakuntala-Dushyant story, Nala Damayanti story etc. They call it as modern Ramayan, Mahabharat-everything just for fun.

The most shameful episode I found was in a highest TRP earning comedy show in a leading Mal channel where Draupadi's vasthrakshepa episode was mocked. When Dushasan got tired, Draupadi was replaced by Shakeela-enacted by men (a B-grade actress popular in South) where she undressed herself and flung her saree to Dushasan's face.

Also there was a scene in one of the super hit movies of 90s where Menaka, Urvashi, Rambha and Thilottama came to earth to disturb Vishwamithra. And all the four went back cursing him (as if he is not a man). Then Silk Smitha (enacted by men) came to seduce him and finally he gets disturbed only to have some hip-hip/disco model dance with her.

But we, the Malayalees will only be proud of such innovations..!!! 😡
Edited by SahasranamaM - 11 years ago
Originally posted by varaali

Good Topic. Actually I am not an avid movie watcher so I can't give appropriate (or inappropriate, should I say)  examples from films  but I do dislike the flippant and cavalier way in which rituals and religion is used in serials. Most of them are blatantly wrong and inaccurate, but the public seems to lap it up. Sad.

But there is one thing I would like to say - Producers and directors will think a thousand times before using , say, Muslim or Christian religious symbols in such a careless or irreverent manner

Well said Varaali. I wrote this initially but edited since I feared it would mean any offense directly or indirectly.
The film makers will never dare to mock any episode of something related to the Muslims/Xtians. But for Hindus, it is a public latrine. Anyone can come and do whatever distortions he would like. and the majority Hindus will be the first to support it..!!
SahasranamaM

Maybe their next step could be Draupadi disrobing Dushashan, Duryondhan and encouraging them to perform in that court... If everything else is okay, why not this?

Do they also have skits making fun of Islamic figures?  I'd certainly like to see them try out that one, given everything that's happened elsewhere in the world.
Edited by .Vrish. - 11 years ago
Originally posted by .Vrish.

SahasranamaM

Maybe their next step could be Draupadi disrobing Dushashan, Duryondhan and encouraging them to perform in that court... If everything else is okay, why not this?

Do they also have skits making fun of Islamic figures?  I'd certainly like to see them try out that one, given everything that's happened elsewhere in the world.

Not only with Islam, but also with Xtians. None will dare to do. 2 years before in our state, a school teacher was attacked for posting some question in a school public exam which directly or indirectly hinders the belief of Xtian community.

@ Please watch this video from starting till 1:34. It is a comedy scene from a superhit 90s Malayalam movie Mimics Parade (where Silk Smita seduces Vishwamitra). This is only a half portion of the skit. Starting 2 minutes is not in this video. But I don't want to post another video here just to display their innovation..! To be frank, it is a good movie of the 90s which offered us hell lot of situations to laugh. But can't forgive this for the sake of it..!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQdiIOzBa1E

Also, among the youth, there is a code word called 'Bhakthakuchela'. It simply means a video cassette or CD for a blue/x-rated/po*n film.
It is because, those days when VHS cassettes were in common, they used to write the name as 'Bhakthakuchela' inorder to prevent themselves from raid and other issues. This was shown in 2-3 movies of those days. It became so popular and still it is under practice for the youth to call such movies under the name 'Bhakthakuchela'.
Another thing i noticed.in some old hindi movies,i have always heard people blaming Sita and Draupadi for the wars.All these dialogues are male chauvinistic and are against women.These people didn't even spare Godesses and blamed them for the Ramayana and Mahabharatha war.I remember one such dialogue,"Aurat ke chakkar mein mat pad.In aurato ke wajah se ho toh Ramayan aur Mahabharat yudh hue."That was disgusting.
I always knew that men hate Draupadi and blame her for the mahabharata war but i was shocked even Sita is blamed for the Ramayan war.