Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

ShikhaKhushi thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail + 4
Posted: 11 years ago
Chapter 44 - The Usurper

Girish Singh Raizada walked up the steps of the mandir. The lawyer wasn't there yet. He glanced at his expensive Rolex the at the surroundings. I must have been a fool to call him over here, in the middle of the jungle, in a desolate mandir.

He whipped out his phone to call Mr Tambe, the lawyer, but there was no network signal. He grunted in disapproval. Just then, a slight girl came in, dressed in a simple glaucous grey Anarkali with silver embroidery on the edges.

She was very pretty and for a moment he wished he was young again. But what did age matter? He could still woo her. Besides, he had the money and all girls loved luxury. He could make her an asset for a few months, couldn't he?

Anyway, he had been contemplating to kick out his current mistress, Mrinaali of only twenty one, as he had grown sick of her. This girl was a piece. She could easily replace Mrinaali Bakshi. He smirked. She was foolish to come here alone.

Just  as he opened his mouth to speak to her, she stepped ahead, closer to the deity and prayed silently, without looking at him once. Naive, he noted. He glanced at his watch impatiently. Where was the stupid lawyer and the person who had robbed him of his wealth.

Girish had come here with a motive, and after seeing this place, he was more confident about it. he wanted to kill the usurper and silence the lawyer with as much notes as he desired. This was kaliyug, and everyone was greedy. Tambe would surely stuff his mouth and shut up.

As for his brother, Anant, good riddance. He had devised thousands of ways throughout the years to rid himself of his brother, but none could be brought to execution because Anant had been too cunning. He had written in his will that if he died by any kind of accident, all his wealth as well as Girish's would become Arnav's. Whether Girish was dead or alive would not matter.

And Girish would never let that piece of scum Anant had fathered stand between him and his money. He would have killed Arnav too, but them the whole property would sink in a charity fund. Now his brother was on the brink that separated life from death, he could have easily tricked his nephew into signing the documents. Arnav was innocent and totally blinded by the diamond he thought his uncle was. He would be very easy. He would just require some emotional blackmail...

But another hurdle had come his way. And if it had not been for this problem, Anant would never have been this ill. So there was just one way out. Get rid of the usurper, silence the lawyer, trick the nephew, then kill his brother and nephew too. After that, life would be heaven. His wife would not be a problem, all she cared about was fashion. One daughter was married, though to a boy he had not approved of; he had already found a man who would pay a good price for the other.

"Aapko pata hai aapko yahaan kyun bulaaya gaya hai?" (Do you know why you have been called here?)

His head snapped up towards the girl who had not yet opened her eyes. Was she talking to him?

"Maaf kijiye?" (Sorry?)

"Aapko pata hai aapko yahaan kyun bulaaya gaya hai?" she repeated. (Do you know why you have been called here?)

She turned to him and he thought she resembled someone he knew.

Her dark brown eyes shone dangerously...

She glanced at him as they walked in the Gupta Haveli together, his hand firmly holding her bag. She noticed the tension was increasing, she felt it deep in her bones, but she did not dare speak up, afraid that he would burst.

Her mother hurried up to her, eyeing the jacket which was still on her shoulders with a doubtful look. Khushi removed it awkwardly and handed it back to him with a thanks. He grunted grimly making her wonder what could have happened. He did not go though, as she expected him to. He stood there glaring at the ground like a child who had just tripped and fallen down but balmed the floor for it. She glanced at him from time to time. If next time she looked there was a larged hole drilled in the ground, she wouldn't be the least surprised.

Padmini welcomed her with glee and hovered her hands about Khushi, righting her hair and clothes. When she had assured her daughter was presentable, she pushed her in the large living room where the Raizada, Malik and Gupta clan was seated. She felt Arnav behind her, his eyes burning her back as they bored onto her. She didn't know why, but she felt a bit sick, like an omen of something going wrong.

"Khushi," Alok smiled. She noticed a man sitting to his left. She had never seen him before. Radhika was propped up on the couch near him, her foot still plastered and resting on a low footstool. "This is Shyaam, beta, Radhika's friend. I'm sure your sister had told you about her friend coming from London? His name is Shyaam. Shyaam Jha."

The man grinned at her but there was no warmth in it, she realised as she shivered. It was almost reptilian, cold. She clenched her jaws together. No, maybe she was wrong. Maybe it was the wintry weather. And besides, the door behind her was open. It was just the draught coming it.

She saw everyone in the room beaming at her expectantly and frowned. What was the matter with them? Okay...

They had a guest, he was Radhika's friend, his name was Shyaam Jha. So what?

Right at that moment Arnav stepped nearer to her. She looked into his grey orbs trying to find an answer at least there.

And then only, it dawned on her...

Girish stared at the petite girl incredulously. What did she mean?

"Aapke vakeel nahin aane vaale, Mr Raizada." (Your lawyer will not be coming, Mr Raizada.)

He scowled. How on earth could she know?

"Kya aap jaante hain ke hum kaun hain?" (Do you know who I am?)

Suddenly Girish wanted to laugh. This little girl was the one to have snatched all he had from him? This tiny thing had had the audacity to? Huh, he could tackle her within seconds. But the problem was that he could not move; he was frozen in time, his eyes transfixed on the girl who stood before him. Small but powerful.

"Saalon pehle jo aapne apne dost ke saath kiya tha, ussi se guzarne ka maza to kuchh aur hi hoga na?" she continued. "Bataaiye! Kaisa lagta hai, jab apne hi paun tale zameen kheench jaati hai? Kaisa lagta hai jab chand palon mein sab kuchh kho dena?" (Years ago, what you had done to a friend, going through that yourself must have a different taste, right? Tell me! What does it feel like when thr ground slips from under your feet? How does it feel when in few moments you lose everything?)

"Kaun ho tum?" he managed to croak. (Who are you?)

The girl sneered at him coldly. "Hum kaun hai? Alok Kumaar Gupta ka naam to suna hi hoga aapne?" (Who am I? You must have heard the name of Alok Kumaar Gupta?)

Girish could not believe it. No. This couldn't be happening.

"Hum unki beti hain. Khushi Kumaari Gupta." (I'm his daughter. Khushi Kumaari Gupta.)

He had never run this fast in his life. Even before she had said her name, she had recognised her. he had run for his car immediately. No. This was not real. It was just a ghost of his past. The girl had died years ago. This was just a figment of his imagination.

Terror had blinded him so much that Girish Singh Raizada had not even seen the truck come, dragging with it, his death...

"Arnav Singh Raizada?"

"Speaking."

"This is Inspector Iqbal on the line. We are sorry to informed you that your uncle, Mr Girish Singh Raizada has met with an accident."

Arnav ran a hand in his hair, breaking into a sweat.

"How is he?"

"I'm sorry, Mr Raizada. He's no more."

The mobile slipped from between his fingers as he turned to look at the ward where he knew his aunt, Di and Ritika were. Another pillar of the Raizada family had collapsed...

She knew. She knew exactly what her parents wanted of her. But she still did not look at him. Guilt? Obstinacy? Pride? Which was it? Why was she refusing to accept him instead of that Jha? How couls she care about a sister who hated her?

But this was Khushi. She could feel pity for a serpent even if it was about to bite her. But as long as he lived, he would not let harm touch her. Not even a single hair of hers. Arnav would definitely make sure of that...

Sara.M thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Hi, this is the first time I'm commenting on your ff. Your ff is amazing and I like the way you show the past and present in such an organized way! Awesome update and can't wait to read what's going to happen next! :)  
blue-eye thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Beautiful update..the last line was amazing
HaRul-lover thumbnail
awesome Update :D
he is dead rofl in few seconds he is no more
saga_twilight thumbnail
Anniversary 11 Thumbnail Group Promotion 4 Thumbnail + 2
She wud feel pity f0r the serpent ab0ut t0 bite her??? and what ab0ut the pers0n wh0 actually l0ves her??? She feels pity 0nly f0r her enemies, is it??? I am actually very disapp0inted with this spineless Khushi...all the while, I 0nly saw her supp0rting them wh0 d0 n0 g00d f0r her 0r Arnav...f0rget herself, n0t even th0se wh0m she l0ves, what's the use 0f l0ving if y0u cant stand f0r them
mz.brar thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 2 Thumbnail
I disagree with saga_twilight - i don't see khushi as spineless. Shes trying to make up for a wrong that she feels that she did all those years ago. She doesn't want to unravel the the already fraying tapestry that holds 3 family's together. Although i do agree with the point that she sympathies more with people that are trying to hurt her.
 ahhh Shyaam Jha, what else would the villain's name be.But didnt Radhika call him 'baby'?? Why would she attempt to set up her bf and sister, unless shes stooped low enough to have Shyaam hurt her.🤢
aeyshaalim thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Commentator 1 Thumbnail
I'm glad to know that arnav's dad didn't betray her family or did he?
Love how the story getting more interesting
fatima2603 thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail
Oh gross shyam ...gross!

The past is so dam interesting!
minnie me thumbnail
Group Promotion 1 Thumbnail
Thank you so much for the PM - what a lovely lovely story - absolutely just gone straight up to the list on my favs list -- I have no clue why more people are not flocking to read this one - but gosh - the suspense - the emotions - the depth of feelings - the goodness of Khushi - the desperation of Arnav - the concern of Anjali - the deviousness and envy of Radhika (although just being jealous since birth seems a little far-fetched) - But otherwise --- gosh your whole ensemble cast - SUPERB

Read the whole thing over a few hours - and what a journey its been! Can't wait to read more - lovely absolutely lovely... :)

Minnie
ruby-red thumbnail
Anniversary 12 Thumbnail Group Promotion 3 Thumbnail Networker 1 Thumbnail
brilliant, very nice update, so evil shaym has put in an appearence, this should be fun now, glad to see langari is still in a plaster, hope it never comes off, lol.