The science behind FBs

Posted: 11 years ago
I came back to the Forum after a long time and found some interesting discussions going on regarding Flashbacks. Ankit, of course, your topic is the best take on it! I really agree with your point about situational memory, and I want to say it is a scientific fact. Let us see how we create memories and why we recall them.

How do we create memories?

In very simple terms, whatever information we gather through our senses are stored as memories. They are stored first in the brain as short term memories, and then the more important ones are passed on to the long term memory storage. Usually the more important things of your life are stored in the long term memory storage, but sometimes it is random---apparently insignificant things can also get stored there.

How do we recall memories?

Recalling can be of two types:
1. Voluntary recalling---in which you consciously search your memory storage for information. For example, you trying to remember where you placed your house keys after you saw them last time. You replay your actions in your mind---which is a way of enacting the same steps that created the memory in the first place--and often find an answer to the question. This is a process of voluntary recalling or what we call as "trying to remember".

2. Involuntary recalling
--a process in which memories just flood in when you encounter the same sensory perceptions which were there when the memory was first created. For example, suppose a dear one had died on a rainy day. You brain had processed two informations together---the rain and the death--and stored them together in memory as a connected information. Possibilities are you will remember that dear one's death every time it rains. There are numerous examples of how apparently unconnected things trigger memories in which one thing is strangely associated with other---a black dog can remind you of your first prize in school. Apparently, there is no connection between a black dog and a first prize, but you might have seen a black dog on your way to school on the day you won the prize. Now you might not even consciously remember the black dog incident, but your brain does. And the moment it encounters the same sensory experience, it pulls out one that is already stored (the black dog from the past), and other incidents that are stored with it (winning the prize).

In this light, it is very easy to understand Anandi's FBs. She has spent a very long time with Jagya and her brain has stored numerous memories of their experiences together. It is possible that everything around her---the chairs, tables, wall clocks, bangles, potatoes, onions-- might have a memory associated with Jagya! Moreover, given her emotional investment in Jagya, perhaps all of them are stored in her long term memory storage. She is therefore helpless if her brain pulls out one memory after another when her senses encounter these prominently stored experiences once again--

the water pump: connected with Jagya: stored in memory and pulled out
the tyre:
connected with Jagya: stored in memory and pulled out
saree buying:
Teej vrat: 
mehndi rasam: connected with Jagya: stored in memory and pulled out
ring exchange:
jalebi eating:
connected with Jagya many times: stored in memory and pulled out
just the same way
fear of injections: 
connected with Shiv: stored in memory and pulled outπŸ˜›

Anandi has absolutely no control over them, it's precisely how human brain works! She becomes sad because the memories creep out; the memories do not resurface because she is sad!! The only thing Anandi can do is to tame her unconscious mind and control those memories
with her conscious mind as soon as they surface . And I think she is doing a great job at that! 😊 For Shiv, he must try to create new sensory experiences for Anandi which she has not experienced with Jagya at all😊

Edited by woman11 - 11 years ago
Okie then finally I can say this facts justify my Anandi and my Prerna's FBs related to their first loves.. But certainly it doesnt prove they love their ex's for ever.. !! πŸ‘πŸΌ

Thanks for the info hun.. I totally agree with the stuff.. Memories happen to be situational for these cases.. 😊 ..
Memories about your ex can be voluntary also. For example if you miss a person too much, you will sit and think about him over and over again. That's a different kind of memory recall---there you are asking your brain to search those memories and bring them back to you. That's called reminiscing and Anandi was doing that immediately after her break up with Jagya.

But now Anandi is not reminiscing. It's a totally involuntary recall of memories in which she has absolutely no control. 
It is different if you sit in one corner and keep thinking about your ex for long hours trying to revive his memories, and if a vanilla strawberry ice cream reminds you of your ex on a date night. Those two are completely different things. 
Where Haaaveee youuu beeennn

You better be back now on the forum

Woman11,
Nice to see you back. And thank god, you demonstrated well why Anandi has Fbs and why  
it might be even necessary for a logical progress of a closure, which in turn may lead to an unshackled fresh beginning all over again. The way Fbs were derided, A ridiculed, I had started feeling serious doubt about my inability to see the 'unreason' behind it. 
Adding to it, my personal misgivings; just because they might look handsome together, or because she was deeply abused by Jagya, should she rush headlong into new relationship? How might it not be looking artificial, if Anandi's over all etching as a staid, more solemn (not easily forgetful of her past, unlike Jagya) personality were to be maintained linear? Ironically, it might echo Jagya's own speedy capitulation at the available 'betterment', however justified in this instance because of legal divorce or moral void on her original feelings on accounts of the abuses thereon. The weight of ponders does not vacate so easily on the more earnest people...

Edited by stutishah - 11 years ago
Really..where have you been woman? Hope alls well and keep coming here.
Welcome back Antara. back with bang πŸ‘ excellent post. we don't hv control on our memories but we hv control on our actions. so far Anandi hs DONE nothing for which she sd be denounced. if her memory leading her to go in search of Jogia or calling him or misbehaving with Shiv or his family, anything influenced by her FB, thn I wd hv blame her, but yahan to FB aya nahin ki de danadan πŸ˜† πŸ˜† in fact we sd appreciate her for her endeavour to overcome with these FB and act wht we r expecting for her.
Good to see you back antara.

Nice post. Thanks a lot.

You are so right about us not having control over those memories which come out involuntarily at times.
I admit that I was irritated with the flash backs.But not with the fact that she was having those memories visit her but the way she was handling those thoughts of hers.

Like all those incidents like when she was buying sarees or that teej vrat brought back memories of J.When we are reminded of a person both good and bad memories connected with that person come out.The bad memories will bring you back to the present.That didn't seem to happen with her.

She had asked Shiv to marry her because it was her mother's wish.But once she decided that she would marry Shiv her apparent inability to shake herself of those memories of J that kept visiting her bothered me.
At time she seemed like she was unconsciously using those memories as a gate to block Shiv. That bothered me a lot.While I did n't expect her to start seeing Shiv as her prospective husband in her mind straight away I didn't like the thought that she is bracing herself against Shiv by using those memories of J.

To me it seemed  like she was using those memories of J to tell herself not to accept Shiv based on what J did to her. I felt that she was buying herself a lot of unhappiness by using those memories of J against Shiv.

Any way I am glad  now that she has slowly started to learn how to live with those memories and not allowing the memories to dictate her present and future.

Lastly I really want to thank you for this wonderful post of yours.It helped me figure out why those fbs bothered me a lot.

i always liked reading your posts.Please try to visit this forum a little more frequently.

Nicely put together. I was also not too happy with anandi recalling jagya memories every now n then. But just today I realized that she has unknowingly started making shiv too part of her memories as soon as she hard injection she smiled n recalled shiv's fear of injections. It was very nice to see that. I am sure shiv will manage to create wonderful n sweet memories with anandi which will fade away jagya's memories from anandi's mind gradually.