Ashk full drama review

Taify thumbnail
Posted: 11 years ago

07 Sep 2012

Reviews: Ashk – Geo – Full Drama Review

Today, it is the turn to dissect GEO's Ashk that started with much fanfare, mainly because it stars Fawad Khan, who is still riding high on Humsafar's success. The actor who announced that he would never do infinite number of serials has a loyal fan base that is often seen praising him like anything on his official page. So how does Ashk fare in our eye? Read on to find out!
It is simple to see why director, Sarmad Khoosat, is rumored to have disowned this serial in spite of the fact that it stars some of the biggest names in the industry and airs on a major channel.
Ashk is a crude serial that will leave you in 'ashk'. It is trash and you need a strong belly to assimilate such unmitigated rubbish.
Occasionally, garbage and rubbish do have their uses in the industry. But when they decompose and turn into rancid garbage, they whiff. Yes, Ashk is a load of garbage that belongs in the trash can. It starts well, gets bad and worsens with long, stupid scenes. The pace only picks up when it is too late, but again it is still not good enough.
The rating that the serial gets is for the fact that it has a stellar star cast and has been shot beautifully. That apart, it has nothing that distantly resembles a saving routine. Pity, even Sarmad's fair direction couldn't make any dent.
Now, let's concentrate on the story… if there's any. With a little research we did find that they actually wrote a script for the serial, and what an apology of a script. It tells the story of Rohail (Fawad) who goes to his country, Pakistan, to get married. His parents want him to marry his cousin Mehrunissa (Resham), but she is in love with another man and requests Fawad to say no to the marriage. Fawad, already fallen for his cousin's sister, Zaibunissa, says that he wants to marry Zaibu. This gives rise to a twist as Zaibu marries Fawad to make his life hell, believing that he disrespected her sister. On the other hand, Mehru gets in trouble too for having fallen in love with a man much lower in stature.
Well, if you look at it, Ashk seems to have a compelling storyline. The main problem is the screenplay that is all over the place. It is clearly the achievement of a person unable to decide whether it is a serial about love, confusion or hatred. Whichever way you go, it is pitifully half-baked.
I have a question for the caption of the ship, Sarmad Khoosat. Really, what were you thinking when you decided to foist this piece of unendurable idiocy on us?
His direction is good, but it also is the director's responsibility to pass a screenplay. Didn't he read the script properly? The writer (Zafar Mairaj) is so bad at writing; s/he needs a course in it.
The editing is fine and the production values are acceptable. The Title track has been sung beautifully by the veteran, and has amazing lyrics. Too bad the tune is not original. One good thing, I am glad they decided to give Turkey credit and didn't call it The UK or the USA.
The gallery of characters is as off-kilter as everything else in the serial.There's Mehrunnisa (Resham), the female protagonist who speaks a gobbledygook lingo in a strange way, which is considerably weirder than the wild talk between the I-don't-know-why-they're-in-the-serial servants.
If you aren't ready to puke yet, then you do possess tolerance that can only be described as remarkable. But it may cause you much damage in the long-run, so it is better to stay away from this, because it is only ashk and no ishq!
Now to the acting; most actors look like they've walked into a rudimentary indigenized edition of a burlesque act in the middle of nowhere, having no knowledge of what to do. Fawad is the only one who gives a performance worth writing about. His expressions and dialogue delivery are spot on. Neelum too is acceptable, but gets irritating at times. The actress needs to control her emotions.
Resham makes you change the channel. She wears the same expression all through, which is depressing. What a sad, sad role. Mehreen is in a big mess these days, and so are we after seeing her boring performance on screen. She sleepwalks through the serial, smirking and scowling as she drowns in the morass. Seemi Raheel and Mohsin Gilani are poised and play their role well.
The debutant, Imran Bukhari, has tremendous screen presence and makes a good debut. If he can work on his dialogue delivery he has a great future ahead. Suhail Sameer is boring and Tipu Shareef just doesn't cut ice. I have no idea what Shafqat Cheema is doing in the serial.
Over all, Ashk gives a bad name to Pakistani serials. There is nothing in it worth watching. It has a poorly, poorly crafted screenplay that takes away everything good from it.

RATING:

I understand that I might have been too critical with my words, but it is only because we had mammoth expectations from the serial. It had it all to be a blockbuster…

by admin in Reviews Tags: ashk drama review, ashk review, drama ashk review, geo ashk review, geo drama review

2 Comments

1. beenish
    Sep 07, 2012 @ 17:14:22

You should hope that Sarmad never gets to read this.. I agree with half the thing, but I don't like Fawad in this one. He just doesn't act well…

2. abcd
    Sep 07, 2012 @ 17:18:31

I remember Sarmad's statement where he said that he can never go wrong… and look at Ashk which is nothing but a mess. I couldn't watch it mainly because it has a kind of dark theme and above all, it has Neelum Muneer who is just chichori and doesn't know how to act.

You put it all right. I thought it would be different, which it is, but in a bad way.

Leave a Reply

Your Name *

Your Email *

Your Website

Sponsors

TVKahani 2012