Rishab Kundra, Damsel in Distress? (meta)

Posted: 11 years ago
What do i like about Madhubala? Beyond the sizzling hot lead pair and the deliciously wicked rake/gamin that is RK, that is?

I think it has to be the subverting of romance tropes normally seen in Indian soaps and other entertainment media. How, you ask, and rightly so, for is this not another familiar, comfortable offering, like mum's apple pie, of a beautiful, poor girl and her rich, handsome and powerful lover?

On the surface, yes. but not really. This isn't apple pie. It's a mad concoction from a Heston Blumenthal recipe. It looks commonplace, but is anything but.

Because, for once, and perhaps by accident, power and success have been shown to be resident with not the one who has them in abundance in the material realm, but with one who has them in the emotional one. So however much control RK thinks he has over Madhu, he actually knows that he has very little. And she will always have what he wants so desperately and can never have: people who love him unconditionally, without him having to be the hero every time.

And because the power dynamic is reversed, so are the gender roles from the normal tropes of romantic narratives. There is no damsel in distress to be rescued by our dashing hero. The hero, however masculine he may seem, is the one who needs to be rescued, from the brass and ivory tower of his own making. And the heroine, young and unresolved herself, but absolutely and completely certain of her moral and ethical stand, will come to the rescue.

She, with the controlled masterfulness one normally associates with the taciturn tall dark handsome male lead, will take the hero from his tower and ride off into the sunset.

Therefore, i read this tale as a sort of Taming of the Shrew in a modern, feminist redux avatar. and i love it.

It reminds me very strongly, of the dynamic between the leads of Heyer's 'Devil's Cub' in which too the delicious rake Dominic, so headstrong and wilful, powerful man but equally vulnerable little boy ( a fact the heroine recognises very early) is rescued from his  own tempestuous affairs by the 'soothing' and very staid Ms Challoner. The similarities are too numerous to enumerate, and i would love to have the views of those who have read this work. 

Comments v welcome!
Edited by Foucaults-qalam - 11 years ago
I guess this isn't the forum for discussing meta.
Originally posted by suk19

brilliant analysis 
Why, thank you! I though this forum might be too young to appreciate this kind of thing. ๐Ÿ˜Š

loveee this...first and formost i am so glad that you are in this forum...i love to read these types of wu..however in this forum a lot of the writers write in hindi...and you wrote in english...wgich is perfect for me since i don't inderstand hindi...i am in dream land...and to top it off you write so well...you know a lot have been comparing MEIEJ to beauty and the beast but some how i felt there was more...and you hit it on the head...it is exactly like taming of the shrew in reverse...love the idea of RK as damsel in distress and madhu saving him and riding off in to the sunset togther...keep the wu coming๐Ÿ‘

Edited by undisclosed - 11 years ago
yes i have read Devil's Cub...one of my favorite Georgette heyers in fact...u have summed it up perfectly...tho of course RK's life is  not so clear cut like Dominic's...he has a past that he hasnt revealed completely yet ...the past that has made him such a "Devil" at present...but yes, essentially our Madhubala is the staid Ms. Challoner all the way...
Originally posted by undisclosed

loveee this...first and formost i am so glad that you are in this forum...i love to read these types of wu..however in this forum a lot of the writers write in hindi...and you wrote in english...wgich is perfect for me since i don't inderstand hindi...i am in dream land...and to top it off you write so well...you know a lot have been comparing MEIEJ to beauty and the beast but some how i felt there was more...and you hit it on the head...it is exactly like taming of the shrew in reverse...love the idea of RK as damsel in distress and madhu saving him and riding off in to the sunset togther...keep the wu coming๐Ÿ‘

You're not the only one. I too have a great deal of trouble following the posts in transliterated Hindi. I can completely see the Beauty and the Beast parallels, and never has there been such a HOT beast!

Thanks for your appreciation and encouragement . Perhaps those of us who like  posts with some substance should form a group to facilitate this interaction.
I loved it.. I am strong in English Literature but it was awesome..

Kind of remind me if Pride and prejudice too a little bit.. Evil Mr Darcy๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†๐Ÿ˜†

Good work

Sorry what I meant was I am not strong in English Literature...Opps.. Typo

Originally posted by Foucaults-qalam

You're not the only one. I too have a great deal of trouble following the posts in transliterated Hindi. I can completely see the Beauty and the Beast parallels, and never has there been such a HOT beast!

Thanks for your appreciation and encouragement . Perhaps those of us who like  posts with some substance should form a group to facilitate this interaction.

yes he is deffinitely a hot beast...i would be glad to join the group...been wanting to fit in somewhere in this forum for a while now...i think you should take the lead as  i am not a great writer myself...though i like to read these wu...