India-Forums

Pavitra Rishta
Pavitra Rishta

PR this week: Purvi deconstructed

sashashyam IF-Sizzlerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 12:13am | IP Logged
As I watched the last 2 episodes of PR, and Purvi made halaal meat of Arjun, I was reminded of  a famous scene from Amitabh Bachchan's superb Deewaar (no, I have not become delusional from watchin too much of PR, nor have I inadvertently strayed into film criticism, so please bear with me!).

Nirupa Roy, the archtype of the sanskaari  film mother (Yash Chopra did not know the word then, alas!), upbraids her son Vijay (Amitabh) for having become a gangster. He retorts that before blaming him, she should first blame all those who had made their family's life a living hell all these years. Her reply to that is a classic: Woh log mere kaun the? Koyi nahin. Tum to mere apne bete ho. Phir tumne yeh kaise kiya?  (Who were those people to me? Nothing. But you are my own son. How then did you do this?).

Many of us have blamed others for Arjun's present fate even more than the prime mover, Purvi, Punni & Ovi being the candidates of choice. But neither was apni  for Arjun. Par Purvi toh uski poori tarah se apni thi. So phir usne Arjun ke saath aise kyon kiya? (But Purvi was completely Arjun's. Then why did she do this to him?)

Then I did a rethink, and I suddenly saw the light. I realized that there was no reason for anyone  to blame Purvi, come to think of it. As one of us put it so well, "she tried her best to get what she wants." And Purvi wanted one and only one thing - that her aai  should be fully accepted by her parivaar,  and should get "all she deserves".

How to achieve this? She was at a dead end till Ovi Ma'am descended on her with the "deal": Arjun for herself in return for Archana's being accepted by the Deshmukhs. After the initial shock, and a good bit of dithering, including making promises to  that besotted fool that  she never intended to keep, Purvi finally deploys all the skills that made her such a good businesswoman earlier.

She must have decided to, in effect, sell Arjun to Ovi in return for Archana's "happiness" well before the wedding evening, for she had to make so many administrative arrangements: the mandir, the priest, the jayamalas, the cloth, the saree for Ovi, the works, AND keep all this  a secret in the middle of her own wedding. Truly admirable organisational skills.

Now for the bakra. Purvi knows full well that the boy is completely under her thumb, and that if she pushes the right buttons, he might rave and rant for a bit, but in the end he will give in and do whatever she wants, even if it means destroying his own life. He has always loved her obsessively and  beyond reason, whereas though she says she loves him, he has always been far down on her list of priorities: even No.4 would be perhaps too high.

Still, she takes no risks. She does not tell  him ahead of time, not at all. She drags him to a weird spot at the very last minute, and bludgeons him emotionally till he caves in. With a more normal lover, her plans would have collapsed in the face of his obdurate refusal, but where she is concerned, Arjun is like a marshmallow put out in the sun.

One of our members, in a hopeful take on  the future happiness of (the second) Mr. and Mrs.Arjun Kirloskar-that-could-be, noted, inter alia,  that  "If Purvi gives some more kasam then it will get delayed. But even if she does give, Arjun isn't going to listen to her. He will dump that kasam in the nearest trash-can". I presume that Arjun  could not find any trash cans on that hilltop, and that is why he caved in and married Ovi. And this without Purvi even having to bother to dig up a kasam and explain its significance to him (he did not know what the saat phere was, so a kasam  would surely be beyond him!).

Then she stays all thru the Arjun-Ovi wedding, not so much out of masochism (or to impress us with her fortitude), but  to make sure he does not bolt. I have NO sympathy for her, no matter how many tears she sheds, then or later. She destroys Arjun's life deliberately for her own ends; that she is doing it for her beloved aai out of gratitude changes nothing in this. Nor does the fact that she too suffers too, for  her suffering is self inflicted.

Purvi is going to find out pretty soon that for her, the chickens are coming home to roost, and  much too early at that. It seems almost clear that Ovi is now going to renege on the deal, though she did make a tentative beginning with it when she touched Archana's feet. When Purvi calls her, very hesitantly,  to remind her of the promise, Ovi  sounds more than a little off putting already, though she does say she will do it (timeframe indefinite!).

As matters suddenly worsen at that point, with Arjun finding out that Ovi had struck a bargain with Purvi for him,  and turning  totally negative towards her,   Ovi might now tell Purvi that she had sold her defective goods, and so the deal was off. Purvi might then push Arjun further to  get him to treat Ovi well, so that she in turn gets Archana "all that she deserves". I am sure he would comply! Has he not promised her that he would "do anything to keep her happy" ?

I wrote once that in marrying Purvi,  Arjun was buying a house with a triple mortgage on it, and he is now finding this out the hard way. Not that he is going to be any less of a fool, for when he accidentally learns of the deal between Purvi and Ovi, he is not at all angry at the way in which Purvi has, in effect, sold him to Ovi. He is only angry with Ovi for having treated him like a commodity.

But what else has Purvi done? She has done exactly the same thing when she struck a deal with Ovi, with Arjun as the item on sale.Why is it mahaan  in her but devious in Ovi? Because she did it for Archana while Ovi did it for herself? But a deal is a deal, whatever the motives, and both girls treat Arjun as a commodity, to be bartered for getting what each wants, and that is the plain and simple truth.

As for Arjun, he deserves every bit of what is coming to him. No wonder DK turns away from  him in sheer disgust; he obviously cannot comprehend how he has had such a wimpish son, who actually says, in his own defence, that Purvi gave him no time to contact DK!!! But the coup de resistance was a pathetic (in the sense of being stupid) Arjun explaining that he had "abandoned his love  as the price of his love". Even Barbara Cartland at her mushiest would have jibbed at such a line!

Right now, what seems to me likely is that Purvi will end up looking, willy nilly, like the other woman, the woh  in the triangle of Arjun-Ovi-Purvi. After all, Arjun is married to Ovi and she is not, and if he keeps calling Purvi and trying to meet her, it is going to get very messy.

She had better latch on to Soham dada and Varsha mausi, go with them to Bihar, and acquire another halo by reforming him.

At the end of the episode, Arjun  kneels in the rain, throws his head back,  and screams in anger and frustration,  obviously trying to do a Hrithik Roshan (in Mission Kashmir). But of course he is NOT Hrithik.

On the Karanjkar side, there is that  MOST fatiguing double crying jag by the mother-daughter duo, with a lot of talk of tyaag and mahaanta. I could barely survive it. In fact, when the pair of them (with Sulochana in a supporting role) opened the taps full force, I felt like running away. A feeling that was intensified when Purvi, after having wreaked all this havoc, watches the rain and cries some more before (and after) she enters the house and shuts the door.

I can see that many of you are once again getting ready to weep along with and over Purvi (and Arjun), so be forewarned; there is going to be a lot more of the same in the days and weeks ahead. So  get yourselves plenty of Kleenex , both for the office and for the home. You are going to need it.

As for me, I feel disgusted with Purvi, and almost equally disgusted with Arjun, for I have no sympathy or empathy for either a manipulative, self-centred and self-destructive fool, or a besotted saphead.

Moreover, I do NOT feel that all will be hunky dory if and when they get together again at some point in the misty future. Marriage is not a game of musical chairs, and moreover, when you sell something or someone, it is gone for good.

Arjun might not feel that Purvi has used him for her own ends, but I do, very strongly. In fact, what struck me in the weepfest of Archana and Purvi, with all that talk of Purvi's mahaan tyaag , was that neither of them had even a passing thought for what Purvi had done to Arjun and how he would suffer.Their total self-centredness was awesome.

Well, bee5, you had better look around for a special deal on bulk purchases of the Sintex tanks you had so kindly offered to get for the Karanjkar household. Meanwhile, I am planning to relax with the triple mahaepisode  today;  at least no one is likely to cry bucketfuls there.

Shyamala B.Cowsik

Edited by sashashyam - 07 September 2012 at 12:14am

The following 45 member(s) liked the above post:

DayalNandwaniragadeepikass4123FanofPRpurvishettySujana_20pavrishARluv16mandy321martalindalukin4goodSoapvgiripyrarkhnamitagloryzsilverwing1527sur_aur_taalcyrineaviaanyaabhimgAwesome2210--Jenelle--zeezee55anoosreeramki1AxiomWanderingBeautypurethoughtKalapiJaishankarTulseyspringsForeverSHINee-LiveLaughLove-AshlaikaRush_25lovely_ladybee5sushkita10crazygirl4RDFireLordPhoenixAnAvidReader.Senorita.koolsadhu1000MagicalPariDabulls23

sushkita10 IF-Rockerz
sushkita10
sushkita10

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 12:29am | IP Logged
OMG  shamayal[sorry if make mistake] u deserve 1000clapClapfor ur perfect and wonderful postClapStarThumbs Upu r absolutely right how archana,sulachana,purvi r not saying how arjun suffering now to marry the girl who he never loves and how he devastated  to know about the deal which his love purvi agree to do with oviOuchits really pathetic.purvi did for her aai's happiness and ovi did bc she wants arjun at any cost but what about arjun?he isnt getting anything except a pathetic life from this deal.

Edited by poas - 07 September 2012 at 12:29am

The following 11 member(s) liked the above post:

mandy321abhimgmartalindaRose_7adittyForeverSHINeeJaishankarbee5crazygirl4RDFireLordPhoenixMagicalPari

NadaCinta IF-Rockerz
NadaCinta
NadaCinta

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 12:43am | IP Logged
Wow Shyamala!

I was just waiting for your post as you are truly superb in your analytical skill. I have always admired your way of approaching the whole issue and am very proud of it.

Whatever that you have penned down is 100% accurate. There can't be anyone who can define it any better than you.

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

ss4123mandy321abhimgadittyForeverSHINeebee5MagicalPari

sashashyam IF-Sizzlerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 12:43am | IP Logged
@red. Yes, my dear Poppy (? Please forgive me if I have got your name wrong, and if so,do tell me the correct one), that is exactly what happens to  besotted fools with spaghetti for a spine.

Shyamala

Originally posted by poas

OMG  shamayal[sorry if make mistake] u deserve 1000clapClapfor ur perfect and wonderful postClapStarThumbs Upu r absolutely right how archana,sulachana,purvi r not saying how arjun suffering now to marry the girl who he never loves and how he devastated  to know about the deal which his love purvi agree to do with oviOuchits really pathetic.purvi did for her aai's happiness and ovi did bc she wants arjun at any cost but what about arjun?he isnt getting anything except a pathetic life from this deal.

The following 5 member(s) liked the above post:

mandy321AxiomJaishankarsushkita10FireLordPhoenix

bee5 IF-Rockerz
bee5
bee5

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 12:46am | IP Logged
Thank you my Dear Shyamala, for posting a review on the PR episode.

This was a review where each and every sentence was like hitting a nail on the head, REPEATEDLY!

I completely agree with you.

Purvi was really very smart in doing what she did at the nth hour. She just trapped him. All he could if he wanted to was try and run away (he obviously wouldn't do that) OR jump off from that cliff (guess he loves her too much to do that as well). So, if she could not even let him talk to his father, I pity that guy and dare I say anything about the hold Purvi has on Arjun. That says it all -
how much of control the girl has on him.

When I saw Ovi hug and cry with joy on getting her Arjun back from Purvi, I thought the girl has changed and I believed her for those few minutes until I saw her fall down to 0 from 100 level.

Ovi when they show her in the bedroom trying to touch-up on her kajal,lipstick, it was very clear, without her uttering a word, that she would not be honoring her promise to Purvi. The body-language said it all.

DK does give his blessing to Ovi, but he doesn't look her in the eye. Will have to watch him out in the coming episode though.

Completely agree with you about Archana, Purvi's self-centredness in that scene of theirs. Even Sulo. Not one thought about what would be Arjun's state. All were heralding Purvi. Archana worried that Purvi got a bigger
Mahaantaa status (probably bcos Archana managed to snatch Manav from Shravani during their wedding), but Purvi successfully delivered her man to the other woman, which Archana could not do.

A few days back I wrote - "They will show Arjun not touching Ovi. Purvi will fake her love for Sameer. Arjun will pursue Purvi. Then he will get divorced. After 1 year they will marry."
Purvi will definitely give kasam and push Arjun towards Ovi . This is what Archana used to do as well.

Purvi is too lucky that Arjun got to know the truth abt Ovi's deal the wedding night itself, which Ms. Mahaanta had not divulged earlier at all. If Arjun had not over-heard about that deal, maybe he would have got some time to contemplate what really happened. But now there is no chance. In his eye it is already Purvi the bechaari girl who sacrificed bcos of the villain(vamp) Ovi. Now Arjun will be behind Purvi for sure. Purvi will push him for sure. Ovi will not accept Archana for sure. Purvi will realize her mistake and start giving loving looks to Arjun, just like Archana used to do to Manav when she was engaged to Jaywant. Whole of PR1 will repeat now and it is no rocket science.

If they don't want to mess they will keep it at this. 
Just from today's episode it doesn't look like either Ovi or Purvi will get pregnant, but if they aren't satisfied with the TRPs, they are going to get both Ovi & Purvi pregnant, or atleast 1. They can do anything they want. Ovi can cheat Arjun and get herself pregnant and for Purvi, they already have an open-ended scene that night for this sake. So, that badly done scene in the rain-night was intentional - so that they can utilize it for later. Entire pregnancy thing will depend on which CV's head is working how at that point of time. That is all. If they can pull this crap of Arjun standing there and marrying Ovi, then they can easily pull a pregnancy track without any logic of why she came back in an AutoRickshaw that day or that this is THE Purvi Deskmukh and THE Arjun Krilosker, too good to fall to such level. If they can pull the crap of the last 2 episodes on us, they can pull anything on us.

Purvi had no right to do what she did.

Arjun is just stupid to agree to her.

I don't know if I should blame Purvi for this mess or Archana. I definitely will not blame Ovi or Punni or anyone else for what Purvi did today. Ovi asked what she wanted, it was Purvi's decision to give him away. But Archana! Because after watching Purvi talk and cry like that, I felt for 18 years this lady, Archana has put her misery in the girl's head so much that Purvi finally had to take such a step to satisfy her?! I totally dislike the thought that Archana brought an infant home and kept indirectly telling that girl that she has been adopted and that she has to feel indebted to her for her entire life. The problem is Archana and no one else. Her upbringing of baseless sanskaars and nonsense sacrifice.

When Purvi comes back meeting Arjun in the rain, which Archana sees and confronts her when she comes back home. Archana had slapped her more than she did today. I was shocked all Archana managed was just 1 slap for what Purvi had done. And I also remember the day when she comes back from court after the Judge's ruling that Archana Manav have to stay together for 6 months under same roof. That was bcos Purvi sends some letter stating that she cannot take care of her mother and hence the mother has to depend on her husband. For doing that, Archana was ready to send her out of the house. Today 1 slap and no kicking her out of the house,
that only means for Archana Sacrifice is above anything and everything. This is what she has taught that girl. This girl, in front of whom it has been trumpeted 1001 times that she is ADOPTED ADOPTED and needs to feel indebted to the entire life, compelled to do this and says it NOT A MISTAKE OF MINE!

What do you do with such useless people. No sympathies what-so-ever.

-Bee.

Edited by bee5 - 07 September 2012 at 1:29am

The following 18 member(s) liked the above post:

mandy321ARluv16adittyabhimgaviaanya--Jenelle--pari87ramki1AxiomWanderingBeautyForeverSHINeeJaishankarAshlaikaNadaCintaFireLordPhoenixsashashyamMagicalPari_OrChiD_

sashashyam IF-Sizzlerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 12:48am | IP Logged
My dear Nadacinta (what an intriguing id!)

Thanks ever so much for such lavish compliments! I truly appreciate them.

As for PR this week, initially I  was too angry to write anything, but one calms down a bit with time, and then again it helps when one puts it all down in black and white. It is  a sort of catharsis,  you see!

Shyamala

Originally posted by NadaCinta

Wow Shyamala!

I was just waiting for your post as you are truly superb in your analytical skill. I have always admired your way of approaching the whole issue and am very proud of it.

Whatever that you have penned down is 100% accurate. There can't be anyone who can define it any better than you.

Edited by sashashyam - 07 September 2012 at 12:48am

The following 6 member(s) liked the above post:

ss4123mandy321adittyabhimgramki1Axiom

WanderingBeauty IF-Dazzler
WanderingBeauty
WanderingBeauty

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 12:51am | IP Logged
Superbly written...Clap...Though I always read your posts...No matter how busy I am but this is the first time I am commenting...I couldn't have agreed more with what you say...Though I am heart-broken but it's because Arvi didn't happen...not because the mahaan sacrificial track...For the first time my heart didn't go out for Arjun, Purvi or Ovi...They all got what they deserved!!

The following 7 member(s) liked the above post:

ss4123mandy321abhimgForeverSHINeecrazygirl4RDbee5MagicalPari

sashashyam IF-Sizzlerz
sashashyam
sashashyam

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 1:08am | IP Logged
My dear,

Thanks a million.

But do you see why you ought to write more often? In @red, you have summed up in 20 words what I took  2 pages to set out (admittedly in far greater detail!) !

Shyamala

Originally posted by WanderingBeauty

Superbly written...Clap...Though I always read your posts...No matter how busy I am but this is the first time I am commenting...I couldn't have agreed more with what you say...Though I am heart-broken but it's because Arvi didn't happen...not because the mahaan sacrificial track...For the first time my heart didn't go out for Arjun, Purvi or Ovi...They all got what they deserved!!

The following 8 member(s) liked the above post:

ss4123mandy321Sujana_20AxiomWanderingBeautyAshlaikasushkita10bee5

Go to top