Posted: 11 years ago

I overreacted to Priyanka Chopra-Karan Johar

Bollywood's 'relationship guru' gets critical about himself and tells us why he was tired of running after the same heroes. Barring SRK of course!

Vickey Lalwani (MUMBAI MIRROR; September 7, 2012)

He is one of the most powerful personalities in the industry today. Over cupcakes or coffee, the most controversial patch ups and break ups reportedly happen at his star studded bashes. But contrary to popular belief, Karan Johar claims, that he is 'No Mr Congeniality'.

For example, he isn't friends with Ram Gopal Varma. "I can't be friends with everyone," Karan justifies and adds, "I don't need to stoop down and take potshots at him anymore. He has such a great sense of humour that he takes potshots at himself."

And as far as his ever-changing equation with Sanjay Leela Bhansali is concerned, KJo seems less bothered. When asked whether the filmmaker is upset with him for poaching Kareena Kapoor, who signed Punit Malhotra's project leaving SLB's Ram Leela, Karan says, "That is for Bhansali to answer. We are here to work. We called Bebo and she said that she has dates. And that's that." In fact, he tells us that he went for Bhansali's sister Bela Sehgal's film event only for his good friends Farah Khan and Boman Irani ' the film's lead actors.

But strangely, when it came to patching up good friend Farah with Shah Rukh Khan, Karan was nowhere in the picture. "Sometimes it is best to let the two people in question resolve issues on their own. And I must add that I am happy they are working together again."

However, Priyanka Chopra and he are still friends. "I picked up the phone and reacted like a pressure cooker. Then I realised it wasn't worth it. I called her and said I was turning 40. I have a great EQ (emotional quotient) with her. I've shared several warm moments with PeeCee. Since I am the older one, I decided to be mature." Perhaps that's why he did not mind seeing pictures of the actress at Salman Khan's house either. "I am only interested in what is written about me."

Interestingly, Karan who has his share of 'non-friends' in the industry believes that relationships may sour between buddies in the same field. And his next directorial venture Student of The Year is about just that.

"The film is a mild commentary on how being in the same field, it is important for friends to rise above the situation and keep the competition healthy. If you really care for that person, it's simple. Problem arises when you are simply faking it," he explains.

Having said that, Karan mentions that after My Name Is Khan, a film that took him out of his comfort zone, he wanted to make a fun film. And the decision to launch three newcomers followed. "We now have a talent management unit. But strictly for those who we choose. It is important to leverage one's position and build new movie stars. Or else, you end up running after the same eight stars."

And the three new movie stars under his talent management wing ' Aalia Bhatt, Siddharth Malhotra and Varun Dhawan are special. "Aalia wanted to be in films since she was four. And the two boys assisted me on My Name Is Khan. They would be my stand-ins for Shah Rukh Khan and Kajol," says their mentor and claims, "No film school teaches you what you can learn on a Hindi film set. Going abroad and studying filmmaking or acting is just a good experience of living abroad."

Expanding his business, throwing big bashes and managing three newcomers singlehandedly, Karan still believes that he isn't 'powerful'. "The day you start believing you are powerful that's the end of you. Power is like electricity. Lights come on flash into your eyes and you go blind to reason," he leaves us thinking.

Edited by you2 - 11 years ago
having sallu on her side really helped her...glad karan is turning around. I'll always like Karan though, he seems like a fun person

Umm so he agrees that Gauri mata made him blast on PC?

😲

aah the sadist me.
Now that sure is a mature Karan Johar!!!

I honestly thought he had lost his marbles reacting the

way he did to some random writing in some random rag.

Butof course he didnt ask Kareena if she had dates, she

ran circles after him hounding him for his movie, lol.

Tsk tsk, Karan. But its okay. You do that for friends and

Kareena does take a lot of crap from him on his shows

and im sure in real life.

And last night they showed his three proteges, they

came off as really nice, down to earth kids. at least the

two guys did. Very rounded personalities. With something

in the upper storeys as well. They came on NDTVs entertainment

section.

Alia is sweet, kind of pretty, unapologetic about being a

star kid. And theres great chemistry between all three

which should help the movie and its believability.
"We now have a talent management unit. But strictly for those who we choose. It is important to leverage one's position and build new movie stars. Or else, you end up running after the same eight stars."

Some talent management..I suppose they just take star kids or people you know...
So he took pot-shots at her on twitter and blasted her on the phone.. Interesting.
Why did he blast at PC...I am lost
achcha... so you gave in to industry pressure eh
Poor thing. Alcohol, loneliness, and periods are a bad combo. Seek refuge in Shahrukh's arms, Karan... and quick!
Originally posted by starstruckk

"We now have a talent management unit. But strictly for those who we choose. It is important to leverage one's position and build new movie stars. Or else, you end up running after the same eight stars."

Some talent management..I suppose they just take star kids or people you know...

is the talent management unit his peepee? 😆