you2 thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Visit Streak 365 0 Thumbnail + 6
Posted: 11 years ago

Check out the ensemble cast of Prakash Jha''s Satyagraha

Priya Gupta (BOMBAY TIMES; September 7, 2012)

Prakash Jha has not only got the cast he wanted, but has also managed a coup by bringing Amitabh Bachchan and Kareena Kapoor together in his next socio-political drama Satyagraha, which he starts shooting coming January. Here he talks exclusively to Bombay Times.

What is Satyagraha about?

Any social change excites me. The film brings out the angst of the middle class which today exists all over the world as we have seen with movements like Occupy Wall Street or the London Riots or the Anna Hazare agitation.

The film is about making the middle class understand, that while their aspirations, outlook and ambitions need to be fulfilled, they equally need to nurse the democracy with the same strength that they expect the democracy to give them.

They cannot ignore the process of democracy. They choose not to vote, they use their money to break the queue, they think their children are brighter than the lower class so they think they have the right to renegotiate democracy and that is what I want to make them understand.

Who gave the people who participated in Anna''s movement against corruption the certificate that they were not corrupt? The middle class, in reality, easily succumbs to corrupt means whether it is educating your child or getting a house or a privilige or pushing others to become successful in the so-called rat race. While there was a boom, you started dreaming, buying cars and went on holidays but with recession you can''t do that, so you''ve started to blame the system. I don''t mind 100 families in India surging ahead of others, but a major part of the entire GDP of the country cannot be in their hands as the disparity will lead to violence. I am a believer of growth which is inclusive.

THE CHARACTERS:
Amitabh Bachchan:

Plays a man who is a firm believer of truth and an inherant believer of society who wants his son to give back to society and the nation all that they have given him. He is like a new age Gandhi.

Ajay Devgn:

He represents shining India and is a brilliant entrepreneur, who uses the ways of the world to get what he wants. He does not see eye to eye with Big B''s character.

Arjun Rampal:

Plays the role of a strong socially committed activist who has ambitions to become a politician. He studied in the same school of which Bachchan was the principal.

Kareena Kapoor:

Is a hard-headed TV reporter out on the field. She digs deep and has an opinion.

Manoj Bajpayee:

Plays a wily, young coalition politician who uses every means to break the system. He is the real threat to democracy.

Love:

There is very strong traction between Ajay and Kareena, but equally when they clash on ideology they break up and reunite when he comes back to his principles.

All these characters from different backgrounds will come together to bring an andolan '" Satyagraha.

Edited by you2 - 11 years ago

Created

Last reply

Replies

Views

Users

Frequent Posters

Enycedoll thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
So...is he finally confirming Kareena? 
Enycedoll thumbnail
Anniversary 16 Thumbnail Group Promotion 5 Thumbnail
Satyagarh and sarkaar raj...i always get them mixed up. Which one was katrina in with abhishek? 
Chippeshwini thumbnail
Anniversary 18 Thumbnail Group Promotion 6 Thumbnail + 3
Love is a character -___- 
pakeezah thumbnail
Aarakshan was an ensemble cast as well. Somethng didnt work
there.

Lets hope this does. Cant say the actors arent good at their craft,
anyways.
Terenaina thumbnail
Anniversary 17 Thumbnail Group Promotion 7 Thumbnail + 4
Originally posted by: pakeezah

Aarakshan was an ensemble cast as well. Somethng didnt work

there.

Lets hope this does. Cant say the actors arent good at their craft,
anyways.

actually the movie became a sleeper Hit😆 it jumped on the third week though, I guess because it was ramadan that it released

anyways I'm excited about this movie. Ajay and kareena were great in Omkara
Looks like Another boring movie.
Terenaina thumbnail
yeah it might be a boring movie but can't wait to hear the soundtrack, he gives great songs to his movies except for Aarakshan, songs were not goodEdited by Terenaina - 11 years ago
Terenaina thumbnail
I like the movie he directed with Mahima, Ajay and Kajol
TheRager thumbnail
Anniversary 19 Thumbnail Group Promotion 8 Thumbnail + 4
Haila! Its actually true. I didnt believe Kareena's PR overdrive as Prakash Jha was acting like a coy bride on suhaag raat saying nahin-nahin!
Anyways this movie actually sounds real rather than the KJo pity project Kareena extracted. The dates all match and it all adds up. Kareena can take her wedding break, Ajay finishes Himmatwala and Big B finishes KBC.
The movie though gives me a heavy Aarakshan vibe with Saif-DP replaced by Ajay-Kareena.