India-Forums

Jhalak Dikhhla Ja 5
Jhalak Dikhhla Ja 5

Madhuri's "Fake" Accent (Page 4)

gckasturi Groupbie
gckasturi
gckasturi

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 12:25pm | IP Logged
I have lived in the US since the age of 6 and for over 30 years. Most of the people I grew up with, including my siblings, don't have have an accent but there are certain "Indian" touches that do creep in every once in a while if someone is paying attention. My parents were in their 30's when they came, and after all of these years they still have a distinct accent. Over the years, I have noticed three types of Indian "American" accents. One is the nearly flawless accent in those who have been raised in this country, one is the natural American accent that develops in adult immigrants over time, and one is the fake kind that is adapted by recent immigrants (more common in the past 10 or so years) who are trying to assimilate themselves as Americans right away. The fake accent is usually exaggerated and a little bit over the top (and pretentious, in my opinion).

Madhuri Dixit's accent is subtle but it is definitely there when she speaks. However, whenever she does speak, I always do feel that it's not completely natural. I think it's a combination of interacting with her husband and sons (I am assuming that they probably all speak in English with one another) and also making an effort to sound more like them.

Anyway, that's my observation and opinion.

Edited by gckasturi - 07 September 2012 at 12:28pm

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

tashanbaazsarah75

sarah75 Goldie
sarah75
sarah75

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 12:47pm | IP Logged
thankx all for your tips, advise and explainations. I appreciate. Myself, a big fan of madhuri, always  loved her in films. I just got this feeling (before) that she is kinda diff when it came to speaking. I understand now that her husband can't speak in hindi and thus she took up the English language as a mode of communication. she is down to earth and diciplined lady. these characters make her extra special and I like her.

just to relax you guys I have a funny video. nothing to do with jhalak. just enjoy! I don't know about aishwarya but mallika baby  for sure give me a reason to laugh. LOL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FNsfQEPaO8

Edited by sarah75 - 07 September 2012 at 12:47pm

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

daisyluv-Chandramukhi-desicrowd

-Alinaa- Goldie
-Alinaa-
-Alinaa-

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 7:01pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by -Chandramukhi-

I don't know if I can call her accent fake. You see when people aren't used to English back home (India), once they come abroad, they try and speak English as per the environment they are surrounded with. So for some individuals, they basically pick up the accent while interacting with others. But since our mother tongue is very dominant on our speech, it interferes with the way one speaks English, so some words are easily spoken with American accent (in her case), while others get that funny touch to it. So when you combine such words in a sentence, the overall effect may make it sound fake or funny. I have seen it here with many of my friends from back home, who have never really communicated or dealt with English language. Thus, I tend be open mind when I hear such accent.

P.S: As far as I have seen on Jhalak, she has never tried to show off her accent. I have usually seen her interact in Hindi. Once in a while here and there we get to hear her speak in English.

Agree with you
daisyluv IF-Dazzler
daisyluv
daisyluv

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 7:35pm | IP Logged
i dont think its fake...shes adapted to how her hubby speaks english..which his american accent...she with him she learned a lill bit..tho its not fully american..its a nice mixture !
jyoti01 Senior Member
jyoti01
jyoti01

Posted: 07 September 2012 at 9:58pm | IP Logged
You cant make out her accent much coz she speaks mainly in Hindi in the show.  Certain words she says are very accented e.g. 'Chance.   Her accent ws most noticeable when she was talking she the choreographers from Las Vegas.  I suppose since she has lived in the US for some years, she cud talk to them in their accent.    

Edited by jyoti01 - 07 September 2012 at 9:58pm
raspberrytorte IF-Rockerz
raspberrytorte
raspberrytorte

Posted: 08 September 2012 at 4:32am | IP Logged
Yeah it is very fake. I live in England so I realized in a second that it was definitely faked.
viewobs Senior Member
viewobs
viewobs

Posted: 10 September 2012 at 2:22am | IP Logged
She has talked about it in an interview with Koel Puri last year
khamosshhh IF-Sizzlerz
khamosshhh
khamosshhh

Posted: 10 September 2012 at 2:27am | IP Logged
Originally posted by raspberrytorte

Yeah it is very fake. I live in England so I realized in a second that it was definitely faked.
Astounding!!! U live in England and know that Madhuri's American accent is fake? Confused It's like Bharti calling the American choeros Angrez.LOLLOLLOL

Edited by khamosshhh - 10 September 2012 at 2:29am

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

Jhalak Dikhhla Ja 5 Topic Index

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index