India-Forums

Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hain
Ek Hazaaron Mein Meri Behna Hain

The OTHER Perspective

sabeeha Senior Member
sabeeha
sabeeha

Posted: 06 September 2012 at 1:11pm | IP Logged
Seems these days people are pretty much only seeing one side of the coin, so let me bring about the other. Just like to say that my personal stance on this issue is ever changing so whatever is in this post may or may not be what I feel about the issue at hand.

What is the ONE thing that binds Inder, Beeji, Khadhaberi, Madan, Dadaji, Swamini, Pinky and Vanshika together in comparison to Viren and Jeevika? They are from a completely different generation with completely different ways of thinking and processing life's difficulties.

Conservatism is woven through our elders (desi ones at that) and they hold what we call 'old-fashioned' ideals to heart. And conservatism is inextricably linked with certain lines and limits within society; some we may agree with or some we don't.

Abortions is one of them: there is a huge divide between the pro choice and pro life groups not just on IF, but every corner of the world you go. It's a highly contentious topic, and this divide is more or less evident between the generation gap too.

For many of them, abortions - legal abortions, legal abortions with proper healthcare has only been in existence for only a portion of their lives. Their beliefs and values point towards the aborting of a child to akin with murder, and murder, despite in whichever tongue it is spoken with still has the same connotations of evil and wrong doing.

And todays epi was not at all surprising; what else could we expect from the older generation? They've lived their lives a different way to us, so of course their stand point on issues are going to be completely different to ours. (This example is in no way in comparison to what the Vadhera's and Choudhary's are saying because in that issue there is no right and wrong, but this whole generation gap reminds me of some of my white friends grandparents who's ideals and beliefs are still ones which in this day and age will have no importance - the belief that race is crucial to a persons standing in the world, and that no other colour can ever be superior than their own.)

And along with that, how can you expect the same people to embrace the radical and revolutionary (in their ears) ideas within a few seconds, despite whatever circumstances they're in? The generations which has kept on striving for their goals, never stopping and reaching for the end goal through their personal struggles - how can they take the 'easy' way out, especially if that 'easy' way has damning consequences?

You've got two completely different lines of thought at play here and to convert one from the other will take TIME. And time is seemingly of the essence which just heightens the tensions within the family. There's no right or wrong answer here. And the same goes for Manvi; for someone who has JUST heard of this, it would sound shake the body to the core.

In times of anxiety and heart break, people don't think, they don't want to think towards the bigger picture because all they can see is what is staring them in the face and it's not pretty at all. Everyone is right in their place with regards to the way they feel; at the end of the day, you can't just spring something as huge as an abortion and then think it will be plain sailing the rest of the way.

The following 19 member(s) liked the above post:

sadfacegirl123ljmnzjs1234munnihyderabadjenna_ppreetivrFari_15shine123lakshmAmii90applenpeachescurrentpreetipc..Gowri..-Aswathy--SweetGirl-sonali.19281rabzonedge*Reemz*

*Reemz* IF-Stunnerz
*Reemz*
*Reemz*

Posted: 06 September 2012 at 1:17pm | IP Logged
I'll give my views after I've seen the episode but definitely agree on the whole generation gap. I think apart from that it's also the shock value! Tell anyone you are going to 'abort' and you can guarantee you will not receive a positive vibe . Abortion means ' The deliberate termination of a human pregnancy'. Your instant reaction will be negative!

BTW what did you think of the episode generally?

The following 2 member(s) liked the above post:

sabeehamunnihyderabad

munnihyderabad Cool Viewbie
munnihyderabad
munnihyderabad

Posted: 06 September 2012 at 1:25pm | IP Logged
LOL sabeeha... this is what i have posting all over ..about generation difference

-this is what is expected from the older generation .. they won't agree as easily for abortion as younger gen... take a look at our own families in real life.. no one parents or grandparents will ever agree to it .. this instant reaction was so natural nothing was out of place,,, had they agreed instantly i would be Shocked with their outright modern thoughtsLOL

-the very thought of abortion, for anyone ..mostly for elder people.. weighs them with the paramount amount of paap as in paap/punya

- but looks like everyone understood J's views in precap.. all it takes is a bit of explanation and patience .. the older generation are mature enough and they will understand...

Edited by munnihyderabad - 06 September 2012 at 3:44pm

sabeehaapplenpeaches

sabeeha Senior Member
sabeeha
sabeeha

Posted: 06 September 2012 at 1:56pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by *Reemz*

I'll give my views after I've seen the episode but definitely agree on the whole generation gap. I think apart from that it's also the shock value! Tell anyone you are going to 'abort' and you can guarantee you will not receive a positive vibe . Abortion means ' The deliberate termination of a human pregnancy'. Your instant reaction will be negative!

BTW what did you think of the episode generally?

Definite shock value at play here. The one thing I noted that even to Jeevika's ears, when Viren uttered those words, there was a momentary flinch, a momentary flash of despair as the words hit home again and again of just what exactly they were going to do.

In general, the show's plots just going haywire - like all over the place. The bloopers are more frequent than ever and even more ridiculous to digest, but that said Manvi's confrontation with Jeevika was absolutely spot on. I really couldn't have expected anything other than her rebuttal to everything Jeevika said; the whole idea in her ears is completely absurd, she can't fathom it at all. Call it guilt or whatever, she too is seeing one side of the coin, but I doubt her stance is going to change even after she sees the other.

The less I say about Virat, the better. I'm not too sure on what exactly his reaction was supposed to be. I know the dudes ill, but to some extent I kind of connected with his emotions. I'm a emotional recluse, I don't like to project my feelings out, and if I was in his situation, how else could I have reacted? On one hand, that's my neice/nephew who I've begun to love already, the love I never received as a child, I'm going to pour into this kid and not let him/her be chastised by the family when they get it wrong like I was; and then the other where the love of his life is slowly (or quickly, depending on how you look at it) is dying, but he doesn't really have any sort of stand point in the whole debate - he can only watch.

On the other hand, as Manvi's dialogue is becoming more and more poignant, Jeevika's is becoming more and more disconnected and brash. Sometimes the dialogue that's spurned out is boderline disgusting, seems like the writers are having a hard time coping to right equally as beautiful dialogue for Jeevika. Or they might just be spending their time playing Slender and scaring the shit out of themselves :L

The other dialogue problem I had was just the way the 'oh, doesn't matter, we can have another one' has been over used and some what trivialised to some extent. Yeah, fine have an abortion if it's a must, but the whole dialogue is just degrading the impact of the abortion - as if it's had barely any impact on them. At the end of the day, seems like the foetus inside wasn't special at all, or that every child should be given the same importance as that one had - having a kid is simple, anybody can do it. Quite insensitive to many many number of people out there who can't conceive at all and here we have two people saying that throwing away a child is nothing coz we can always get another as if the child is some toy :S

Or it could just be Viren and Jeevika trying to cope with the abortion, downplaying the child's significance in their life so it's not easier, but more gentler in letting go; but somehow I doubt the writers are that deep...

The following 3 member(s) liked the above post:

sadfacegirl123applenpeachessonali.19281

applenpeaches IF-Dazzler
applenpeaches
applenpeaches

Posted: 06 September 2012 at 2:11pm | IP Logged
Nice post Sabeeha... The older generations do have a problem with abortions... They will not accept that easily... My problem with today's episode was 'Vadhera khaandan ki khoon' dialogue.. They seemed more concerned about killing 'Vadhera khandan ki khoon'  than killing an unborn baby. As if if the baby had not been 'Vadhera khandan ki khoon' it would have been alright! 

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

sabeeha

sabeeha Senior Member
sabeeha
sabeeha

Posted: 06 September 2012 at 2:18pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by munnihyderabad

LOL sabeeha... this is what i have posting all over ..about generation difference

-this is what is expected from the older generation .. they won't agree as easily for abortion as younger gen... take a look at our own families in real life.. no one parents or grandparents will ever agree to it .. this instant reaction was so natural nothing was out of place,,, had they agreed instantly i would be Shocked with their outright modern thoughtsLOL

-the very thought of abortion, for anyone ..mostly for elder people.. weighs them with the paramount amount of paap as in paap/punya

- but looks like everyone understood J's views in precap.. all it takes is a bit of explanation and patience .. the older generation are mature enough and they will understand...

lmao, great minds think alike :L

There definitely is a MASSIVE generation gap everywhere you see, and it can't be helped which is why I personally am finding it quite absurd how quick people are to lambast a certain way of thinking like it is wrong or something? It's like trying to judge without looking at both sides - actually, scratch that, it is judging without looking both ways.

Like I said, very contentious topic, and since most of the viewers who are registered in terms of TRP's are the stereotypical middle ages house wife or woman, kinda obvious they wouldn't like the current track of abortion so pretty much straight forward we'd have declining ratings.

Totally agree with the oldies; man most of them were around where it wasn't even legal! It was a crime once upon a time, where people would be scrutinized if they had a 'back street' abortion, and even today, it is stigmatized in society to some extent. You can't expect the world to conform to the same view point, else what would there be in terms of religion, theology and politics? 

ROFL, dude, can't speak Hindi and I barely understand it :P Have NO idea what the hell 'punya' is!

As for the precap, to me, it didn't really seem like they'd came over to their side, more that the child is ultimately Viren and Jeevika's, and they are ultimately adults who have full rights on what they do with their child, so legally no one can stop them. Felt more like a 'whether you like it or not, we are...' situation, because if they really wanted DJ and Swamz permission Viren wouldn't have come out so strong and saying 'Jeevika and I have decided...'. Anyway, may be wrong, who knows :P

sadfacegirl123munnihyderabad

sabeeha Senior Member
sabeeha
sabeeha

Posted: 06 September 2012 at 2:26pm | IP Logged
Originally posted by sonuni

Nice post Sabeeha... The older generations do have a problem with abortions... They will not accept that easily... My problem with today's episode was 'Vadhera khaandan ki khoon' dialogue.. They seemed more concerned about killing 'Vadhera khandan ki khoon'  than killing an unborn baby. As if if the baby had not been 'Vadhera khandan ki khoon' it would have been alright! 

LMAO, what else can you expect from Swamz?

Of course, she's extremely brash in her speech but she's got a good heart. The line was a bit OTT, but in her defense, the lady's been like that all the way through.

She's like Virat in that she's not very outward with her real emotions, rather leaving cryptic dialogue for her family to decipher. The whole anti-Manvi thing, it came across like she was some she-witch hell bent on hating Manvi and she'd never be apart of the family, but at the end of the day, she was ultimately concerned above all else for Virat and Virat's state after the 'inevitable' end for Mannu. In that time too, she used the excuse of family reputation, but personally I feel she uses that to hide her true feelings.

It's her way of saying that she doesn't agree, and that the baby is a part of THEIR family, so JV can't take such a huge step just like that. Surely the family have some rights too over the child? <-- Again the old fashioned thinking, joint families, etc etc.

Of course, I may just be wrong and the writers show us her true face and she's just a sour old cow destined to hate everyone in the family Wink

The following 1 member(s) liked the above post:

sadfacegirl123

chikni-chameli Newbie
chikni-chameli
chikni-chameli

Posted: 06 September 2012 at 2:27pm | IP Logged
I think its ALSO about opinions.. everyone has their own opinions.. As humans we should respect each others opinions and not force our opinions on others.. like this family is on the couple... the world would be such a happy place if everyone would just live..and let live!! Thumbs Up

Nice post by the way!! Smile

Go to top

Forum Quick Jump

Forum Category / Channels
Forums

• Please login to check your Last 10 Topics posted

Check these Celebrity also

Disclaimer: All Logos and Pictures of various Channels, Shows, Artistes, Media Houses, Companies, Brands etc. belong to their respective owners, and are used to merely visually identify the Channels, Shows, Companies, Brands, etc. to the viewer. Incase of any issue please contact the webmaster.

Popular Channels :
Star Plus | Zee TV | Sony TV | Colors TV | SAB TV | Life OK

Quick Links :
Top 100 TV Celebrities | Top 100 Bollywood Celebs | About Us | Contact Us | Advertise | Forum Index